Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 367217 times)

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2019, 04:18:50 pm »
Just snagged one of these.

Thoughts on using this with an older PC power supply?
Better, use a 19v LT adapter.. or two or three identical LT adapter's in series for ~37v or ~54v (open them to make sure outputs are truly floating*, pre-load each with 200 to 500 ohm's @2W and put 6A diodes between them to protect from back-feed)

* Don't attempt to chain SMPS if you are not familiar!

Offline Rafael

• Regular Contributor
  • Your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has.
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2019, 12:45:37 am »
It's a nice power supply, but if your SSID has spaces, it won't connect.

With IOS13, new iphone and spaces in SSID, the app closes when you hit "Init or Distribuition".

There are two options, either they fix the firmware, or we need to wait for someone to hack this firmware! :)
LTZ1000 for voltages, Emmett Lathrop "Doc" Brown for me.

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2019, 04:37:21 pm »
Is there an iOS app ?
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2019, 05:14:54 pm »
Yes, search for RDPower

Offline yesyes

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2019, 05:09:00 pm »
Hi,
I would like to get back to this question:
- If I buy 2 of these and connect them to the same AC-DC PSU, can I connect their GNDs together so that I can, for example, have 5V and 12V supplies with common ground? Is the input GND the same as the output GND?

I have now received 2 of these PSUs and a 48V 10A PSU to feed them both. I'm still not sure that I can use the 2 outputs with common GND. I measured resistance between the input and output GNDs of one PSU and I get just over 8Mohm. So it seems that the input GND is not the same as output GND. Before I try connecting both output GNDs and set fire to it (I don't have an explosion containment pie-dish  ;D ) can someone please confirm that this is still OK to do?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2019, 05:38:04 pm »
I was browsing eBay today looking at these, a lot of sellers have a generic description and a few say:

Included:
1 X RD6006 CNC Power Supply
1 X RD6006 WiFi CNC Power Supply
1 X S06A Shell

Was going to chance it with one seller as they do not have a drop down box for other options, but not sure what will actually turn up!

Offline myf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2019, 05:55:04 pm »
Hello,

(A) Before connecting both output GND together without any resistor, you might test with a 1000 ohm resistor and a ampmeter between these two GNDs, then replace it by a 100ohm, a 10ohm, a 1ohm resistor, and finish without any resistor.

You stop if there is unexpected current through the ampmeter, and I think you detect this unexpected current before breaking any component.

(B) You might also add one diode after the output(+) of each PSU, in order to avoid current going from the highest tension  output (12V by example) to lower positive output (the other PSU at 5V by example) in the wrong sens. In a simple PSU, current must goes out from (+) to GND and never goes in the other way inside the PSU.

Have a nice day !

F. from France.       

Offline yesyes

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2019, 05:11:43 pm »
Hi,
- If I buy 2 of these and connect them to the same AC-DC PSU, can I connect their GNDs together so that I can, for example, have 5V and 12V supplies with common ground? Is the input GND the same as the output GND?

I have now received 2 of these PSUs and a 48V 10A PSU to feed them both. I'm still not sure that I can use the 2 outputs with common GND. I measured resistance between the input and output GNDs of one PSU and I get just over 8Mohm. So it seems that the input GND is not the same as output GND. Before I try connecting both output GNDs and set fire to it (I don't have an explosion containment pie-dish  ;D ) can someone please confirm that this is still OK to do?

Thanks,
Chris

OK, I'm clearly missing some knowledge here. I measured the resistance between the GND of both PSUs (when the AC-DC PSU feeding them both was off). The result was tens of Mohm (this seems to go down the longer I measure).

When I switch on the PSUs and then measure the voltage between the 2 GNDs I get 0.00V. When I set one PSU to 5V output and then take my meter and hold the positive probe to the output of that PSU but the negative probe to the GND of the *other* PSU I measure exactly 5V.

It's as if the GNDs become "connected" only when the PSUs are on.

:-//

Chris

Offline AlexFerro

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2019, 08:30:22 pm »
I received mine yesterday. I have quite a few nice bench supplies, but they are all decently sized, very capable units that if I wanted to power something elsewhere in the house were less convenient to lug around. I have been on the search to something portable to augment my bench. When I saw the video pop up reviewing this (and other mentions around the net), I liked the fairly polished design with ok specifications, and when I looked at the cases available, the large one was very boring to me, but the short one for an external PSU was nicely size to grab with one hand. A careful look at the dimensions and pictures, convinced me that I could probably fit a 2"x4" PSU module, a traditional AC inlet, and an additional tiny fan. As you shall see, things didn't quite work out that way, but it's very close. Plus with modern power electronics, I could get a 150-200W (depending on airflow) 48W PSU (Meanwell EPP-200-48), which is more than enough for my normal needs (<24V, which should give me the full 6A at all lower voltages).
From the front it looks pretty normal, although I did turn the PSU up to 50V so if need be I could hit 48V.
896442-0
However, a quick look at the rear shows that things are not as they seemed. This was the most time consuming part and the panel cutout is not perfect as I do not have much in the way of metal working tools, and did this with a nibbler.
896426-1
I am fairly happy with how the inside layout turned out, although it would have been greatly improved by having the proper wire colors. You can see that I chose to not mount the fan internally. It didn't fit with enough clearance to make me happy around the PSU in its intended location, so I had planned to mount it to the far side panel, but the 12V fan rail on the PSU does not appear to agree with the fan load (and the PSU buzzes), at least at the light loads I expect to use this at almost exclusively. For now I have removed the fan, and I may revisit this in the future. You can also see I epoxied the temperature sensor to the PSU heatsink so I can at least monitor the PSU temperature. Despite perspective claiming otherwise, there's quite a bit of clearance between the PSU and everything else internal.
896430-2
Here is a close up of the side of the PSU so you can see the earth grounding strap and extra insulator plastic. I imagine 3D printed PLA is probably not ideal here, but as I have a large gap, and an earthed chassis, it probably doesn't need to perform to the absolute maximum isolation performance). I did check, and after removing some paint, the chassis is properly earthed. Not easily visible, but part of the other safety features, the IEC320-C14 inlet does have an integrated fuse.
896434-3
And finally, I did have to modify a foot due to poor planning by having the screw mount for the PSU side of area used by the rubber foot.
896438-4

While I was searching for this thread to write this post I found another poster who had a similar idea. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/show-your-favorite-and-mostly-used-benchtop-psu/msg2826078/#msg2826078

On a different note, to anybody who was planning on writing their own control software and didn't feel like reverse engineering the app, here is some preliminary mapping of the modbus register space. Possibly my search skills late at night are lacking, but I could not find any documents describing the RD6006 protocol. I found the ones for the DPS5005, etc, and based on that tried reading the registers. The register map is very different, but I found most of the settings I was expecting to find, and those that I cared to find. It looks like the memory settings block is fairly similar to the block as used by the DPS series, but the earlier addresses are all changed. I also did not trigger various faults to see where they mapped. If anybody does have an official document describing the map, or any further results, I'd love to hear about it.

Code: [Select]
// 0x00 - Model? (60062 on my RD6006)
// 0x01 - Serial Number MSB?
// 0x02 - Serial Number LSB
// 0x03 - Firmware (125 = 1.25)
// 0x04 - Unknown (0)
// 0x05 - Max Temperature C
// 0x06 - Unknown (0)
// 0x07 - Max Temperature F
// 0x08 - VSET (1234 = 12.34) (x 10mV)
// 0x09 - ISET (1234 = 1.234) (x 1mA)
// 0x0A - VREAD (1234 = 12.34) (x 10mV)
// 0x0B - IREAD (1234 = 1.234) (x 1mA)
// 0x0C - Unknown (0)
// 0x0D - WATTS (1234 = 12.34) (x 10mV)
// 0x0E - VIN (5025 = 50.25) (x 10mV)
// 0x0F - Key Lock (0 = Unlocked, 1 = Locked)
// 0x11 - CV/CC (0 = CV, 1 = CC)
// 0x12 - EN (0 = Off, 1 = On)
// 0x20 - Unknown (0)
// 0x21 - Unknown (non-zero, but changes)
// 0x22 - Unknown (0)
// 0x23 - Current Temperature C
// 0x24 - Unknown (0)
// 0x25 - Current Temperature F
// 0x26 - Amp Hours MSB (Guessed)
// 0x27 - Amp Hours LSB (x 1mAh)
// 0x28 - Watt Hours MSB (Guessed)
// 0x29 - Watt Hours LSB (x 1mWh)
// 0x30 - Year
// 0x31 - Month
// 0x32 - Day
// 0x33 - Hour
// 0x34 - Minute
// 0x35 - Second
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:39:53 pm by AlexFerro »
Typos and other errors graciously sponsored by my brain and/or the time of day.

The following users thanked this post: rfinnie, duckduck

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2019, 08:56:45 am »
How is noise in these? Would it be suitable for some RF work? I have been considering buying a Siglent or Rigol but they are significant investments and right now I'm not doing as much EE work as I would like to.

Offline yesyes

« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2019, 01:56:19 pm »
Since people are posting their cases for this PSU, here is my take on a case for 2 of these.

The AC/DC 48V PSU is external. I 3D-printed brackets to screw it to the bottom of my workbench.

Then I designed and printed a case with plenty of air vents, a cable inlet and one hole to screw it to the wall

The 2 PSUs fit perfectly.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 02:03:04 pm by yesyes »

The following users thanked this post: BFX, Cliff Matthews

Offline rfinnie

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2019, 06:42:58 am »
On a different note, to anybody who was planning on writing their own control software and didn't feel like reverse engineering the app, here is some preliminary mapping of the modbus register space. Possibly my search skills late at night are lacking, but I could not find any documents describing the RD6006 protocol. I found the ones for the DPS5005, etc, and based on that tried reading the registers. The register map is very different, but I found most of the settings I was expecting to find, and those that I cared to find. It looks like the memory settings block is fairly similar to the block as used by the DPS series, but the earlier addresses are all changed. I also did not trigger various faults to see where they mapped. If anybody does have an official document describing the map, or any further results, I'd love to hear about it.

// 0x00 - Model? (60062 on my RD6006)
// 0x01 - Serial Number MSB?
// 0x02 - Serial Number LSB
// 0x03 - Firmware (125 = 1.25)
// 0x04 - Unknown (0)
// 0x05 - Max Temperature C
// 0x06 - Unknown (0)
// 0x07 - Max Temperature F
// 0x08 - VSET (1234 = 12.34) (x 10mV)
// 0x09 - ISET (1234 = 1.234) (x 1mA)
// 0x0A - VREAD (1234 = 12.34) (x 10mV)
// 0x0B - IREAD (1234 = 1.234) (x 1mA)
// 0x0C - Unknown (0)
// 0x0D - WATTS (1234 = 12.34) (x 10mV)
// 0x0E - VIN (5025 = 50.25) (x 10mV)
// 0x0F - Key Lock (0 = Unlocked, 1 = Locked)
// 0x11 - CV/CC (0 = CV, 1 = CC)
// 0x12 - EN (0 = Off, 1 = On)
// 0x20 - Unknown (0)
// 0x21 - Unknown (non-zero, but changes)
// 0x22 - Unknown (0)
// 0x23 - Current Temperature C
// 0x24 - Unknown (0)
// 0x25 - Current Temperature F
// 0x26 - Amp Hours MSB (Guessed)
// 0x27 - Amp Hours LSB (x 1mAh)
// 0x28 - Watt Hours MSB (Guessed)
// 0x29 - Watt Hours LSB (x 1mWh)
// 0x30 - Year
// 0x31 - Month
// 0x32 - Day
// 0x33 - Hour
// 0x34 - Minute
// 0x35 - Second

Thanks! I didn't find this post until I had mostly figured this out myself, but good to find confirmation on most of what I did find.  Here's a few extras:

0x10 - Protection status (0 = good, 1 = OV, 2 = OC)
0x48 - Brightness (0-5)
0x50 - M0: V * 100
0x51 - M0: A * 1000
0x52 - M0: OVP V * 100
0x53 - M0: OCP A * 1000
0x54 - M1: V * 100
0x55 - M1: A * 1000
0x56 - M1: OVP V * 100
0x57 - M1: OCP A * 1000
[... repeat through M9]

However, I have not yet determined which register is used to load a memory group into active (it was 0x23 on DPS devices).

I have a Python program which has full support for RD UM / DPS series devices; I've just added initial support for the RD6006: https://github.com/rfinnie/rdserialtool
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 06:51:17 am by rfinnie »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, AlexFerro, duckduck

Offline dsc5555

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2020, 09:59:04 am »
Hi,

Thanks,
Chris

OK, I'm clearly missing some knowledge here. I measured the resistance between the GND of both PSUs (when the AC-DC PSU feeding them both was off). The result was tens of Mohm (this seems to go down the longer I measure).

When I switch on the PSUs and then measure the voltage between the 2 GNDs I get 0.00V. When I set one PSU to 5V output and then take my meter and hold the positive probe to the output of that PSU but the negative probe to the GND of the *other* PSU I measure exactly 5V.

It's as if the GNDs become "connected" only when the PSUs are on.

:-//

Chris

Im also planning to use 3 of these (with a common GND!) I actually linked two together (sharing output ground). Although i can get two separate voltages from each supply using the same GND but i can see that there is a current leakage on the two units so they report the incorrect current.

So yes, two together can work but they are designed to be used standalone as it has floating outputs.
My crazy idea... Generate the schematic for the main top board and see if its possible to somehow modify the board to enable a common ground. If additional components are required then might have to respin a new board with ground sharing yet maintaining all the original functionality.

I like this supply because of the short case option and I put a nice Meanwell 120W (50v @2.5A - with no cooling required) inside the small box!

The two binding posts on the back of the unit are for the purpose of connecting it directly to two other units. At the moment the solution is no so ideal because of the current leakage problem. I have had two linked up for a week (low voltage/current) and haven't seen any magic smoke yet!

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2020, 10:17:15 pm »
What MeanWell PSU model is that?

Offline dsc5555

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2020, 12:01:29 am »
What MeanWell PSU model is that?

I used this one from digikey:
1866-RPS-120S-48-ND - there is also a non "medical grade" version thats a bit cheaper
You will also need the mating connector and pins:
455-1133-1-ND
455-1184-ND
455-1185-ND

I initially used a din rail supply that also fit inside but it made a bit of a squealing noise which was kinda annoying, but this one is really quiet.

Also when you mount the supply you can use a longer screw for one of the rubber feet and there is actually another hole already which line up exactly with the supply. So in the end you should only need to drill 2 holes and use the two existing holes to mount the supply.

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2020, 11:02:43 pm »
Excellent choice, MeanWell's medical PSUs are rock solid.
Thank you also for the connector references, I might buy a bag or two of those from eBay.

Do note they recommend a common mode ferrite choke on the output for radiated EMI reduction, although it's arguably minimal. Winding the output wires four to six times will be plenty if you add a ferrite core, though.

I needed something with high efficiency that outputs 5V to power some controllers and a RPi inside an enclosure that will control relay outputs and other things.

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2020, 12:00:46 am »
I have a Python program which has full support for RD UM / DPS series devices; I've just added initial support for the RD6006: https://github.com/rfinnie/rdserialtool

I should have known this would be getting discussed here :)

I have extended the CLI version out with --gui here https://github.com/Black-FX/rdserialtool/tree/add_gui

It adds a basic Tk GUI like (click the voltage or current to turn output on, scroll wheels on them to change):

The biggest issue at all seems to be that once the serial connection is connected, the screen lock engages - when the register is set to disable it, it is simply ignored.

I also managed to sniff this URL from the windows app

http://www.ruidengkeji.com/rdupdate/

It has the firmware files and software, It appears there was an RD60061 and so this is the 60062 (beta maybe). Unfortunately the firmware is compressed so I can't find anything useful there.

It appears the M# isn't revealed by the device. I have walked through 0x00 - 0xFF looking for changes after loading a stored preset and can find nothing.

Also the following registers
0x05 - Internal Temperature C
0x07 - Internal Temperature F
0x20 - Battery Connected
0x21 - Battery Voltage (x 10mV)
0x23 - External Temperature C
0x25 - External Temperature F
0x42 - Mem Ok - Confirm loading stored profiles.
0x43 - Mem Out - Auto enable output when you load a stored profile.
0x44 - Boot Power On
0x45 - Buzzer
0x46 - Logo
0x47 - Language: 0 = Eng, 1 = Chinese, 2 = German, 3 = French - But it only allows you to set 0 or 1 via Modbus

There will be more, namely the calibration data and the details for the wifi - I don't have the wifi dongle so can't test (any volunteers?)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:52:09 am by BlackFX »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Cliff Matthews, nico282, duckduck

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 01:47:25 am »
Hmmmm looks like something isn't isolated..

Output was turned off, and I inserted a USB cord, there was an arc to the negative post and this happened

Needles to say, the USB port is dead

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, duckduck

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2020, 01:51:31 am »
Hmmmm looks like something isn't isolated..

Output was turned off, and I inserted a USB cord, there was an arc to the negative post and this happened

Needles to say, the USB port is dead

Wow ... I've been wondering about this situation too when the 1st time I saw that USB port.

Curious if RuiDeng will cover that with their warranty ?

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2020, 01:52:43 am »
We shall soon find out, just emailed them

I'm guessing that the negative output and the USB ground are not common and so there was a potential between the two, I'll tear it down later and see what I can find
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:58:30 am by BlackFX »

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2020, 04:53:40 am »
And here is the tear down

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, montyx

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2020, 08:23:35 am »
They have been really good about it, they are sending me replacement parts.

Not sure yet if that's the entire controller board or just the CH341 USB IC and a new USB socket  :-//

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2020, 08:50:36 am »
How is noise in these? Would it be suitable for some RF work? I have been considering buying a Siglent or Rigol but they are significant investments and right now I'm not doing as much EE work as I would like to.

Noise is just terrible in my view. Dave discovered that at 5V these produce 500mV p-t-p noise!!! Not suitable for RF

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2020, 08:51:31 am »
Did anyone do anything about noise?

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2020, 09:11:29 am »
Looks like it'll be chips, I just got sent the schematic for the USB circuitry, I've attached it for anyone who's interested

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Cliff Matthews

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf