Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 375985 times)

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #675 on: March 31, 2021, 03:28:57 pm »
Andreas Spiess seems to be visiting the US this week, but I'll try to get his opinion on improvements of the PC app.  :-+
My uses are quite basic, I'm still kicking myself for not ordering the wireless option :(

Offline dmitrkov

• Contributor
« Reply #676 on: March 31, 2021, 03:50:07 pm »
My uses are quite basic, I'm still kicking myself for not ordering the wireless option :(

The Wifi module can be ordered separately.
I bought it here.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/4000955270260.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.5dbb17ed58xd5G&sku_id=10000012528797321

Works good

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Wintel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #677 on: March 31, 2021, 03:55:29 pm »
In the Menu under the Home Icon, you'll find it as "Leading Zeros"
Great!

Offline jeremyd2019

« Reply #678 on: March 31, 2021, 07:01:10 pm »
The main thing I want in PC control software is for it to be cross-platform, specifically Linux including Raspberry PI.

I have started on a wxPython UI at https://github.com/drastrom/rdgui (but it is still in a very early state).  So far I have at least implemented the things that I know I could not do without a PC, updating firmware and adjusting calibration, as well as a simple V and A graph and setting output voltage and amperage and enabling/disabling the output.

It had occurred to me when reading the chapter in the custom firmware manual (great work btw) on calibration that if the raw ADC values were exposed through registers, it should be possible to make a calibration 'wizard' that uses the formulae to calculate the zero and scale.

The following users thanked this post: AaronR

Offline 999cgm

• Contributor
« Reply #679 on: April 01, 2021, 11:17:08 am »
Hi Unisoft,
For wifi a nice improvment would be to keep trying to connect back to TCP socket if it goes down  .
Also when booting to keep try connect to wifi and then to TCP server after system booted up (say every 5seconds ).

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #680 on: April 01, 2021, 11:31:12 am »
For wifi a nice improvment would be to keep trying to connect back to TCP socket if it goes down  .
Also when booting to keep try connect to wifi and then to TCP server after system booted up (say every 5seconds ).
Probably not much can be done there, as the wifi is mostly controlled by the stock ESP8266 firmware. See reply #504: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply/msg3399864/#msg3399864

If you want more control, you might need to run your own firmware on the ESP8266, like done here:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply-ha-support-wifi/163849
https://cuttlefishblacknet.wordpress.com/2020/03/01/riden-rd6006-wifi/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:35:08 am by bateau020 »

Offline 999cgm

• Contributor
« Reply #681 on: April 01, 2021, 12:55:33 pm »
I understand there is the option to customize the ESP8266 firmware.
 However even in the current code there is the option to check say every 10 or 15 seconds with +++ the status and issue
AT+CIPSTATUS , confirm is still connected (STATUS:2), otherwise issue the command to reconnect to TCP server then resume AT+CIPSEND.

I tried to figure online if  "AT+CIPSEND" is going to respond with some error if connection is lost .. was not clear. If it does then is even simpler to reconnect.

This should work even at boot ,disable automatic reconnect (AT+CWAUTOCONN=1) and execute the AT+CIPSTART= after system is loaded (it would speed up booting when wifi is on also and there is better control to restablish the connection )

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #682 on: April 21, 2021, 03:06:28 am »
To start I'd like for the graphical display to auto scale like the apk does.
The wifi connection issues have already been explained.
I'd like for a better way to get screen shots of the graphical display as well as the ability to easily export data for graphing externally.
I'd like someone who has actually used the device in real life to get involved with the design of the UI and all other features.

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #683 on: April 25, 2021, 03:27:29 am »
I just found this thread, glad to see people actively working with these devices, I made a new python lib and qt gui with basic features over the usb serial connection
https://github.com/ShayBox/Riden
https://github.com/ShayBox/RidenGUI

Is there a custom firmware for the 6018 yet

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #684 on: April 25, 2021, 03:32:48 am »
Yes there is custom firmware for the 6018 I'm using it. it's posted earlier in this thread.

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #685 on: April 25, 2021, 03:36:25 am »
I just found this thread, glad to see people actively working with these devices, I made a new python lib and qt gui with basic features over the usb serial connection
https://github.com/ShayBox/Riden
https://github.com/ShayBox/RidenGUI

Is there a custom firmware for the 6018 yet

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply/?action=dlattach;attach=1197236

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #686 on: April 25, 2021, 03:46:31 am »
So many settings, this is amazing, good work

EDIT: You removed the lock when using serial, thank you...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 09:16:29 am by ShayBox »

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #687 on: April 25, 2021, 04:04:02 am »
I was wondering if you had any idea of a way to get the graphical display in the desktop application to auto scale like it does for the android apk? the autoscale would make using the desktop software much better experience, I also was never able to export and make a graph in excel without inverting the data somehow. It is as if all of the excell date is being handled in reverse thus if you get a graph print it and flip it horizontally and vertically it will then be correct but the numbers are all screwed. So many questions, I have run the 6018 at full power for quite some time and it seems to handle it with no problems, I'm also suprised that it doesn't put out a horrific amount of noise it's self.

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #688 on: April 25, 2021, 07:22:04 am »
I assume by auto scale you mean the power limit setting that automatically lowers the I-Set when the V-Set is high enough, if that is what you mean, I plan to add this feature into my gui, the basic version is just re-reading and updating the ui after changing the I-Set, the more advanced version will include a calibration that starts the V-Set at the highest voltage and lowers it slowly while re-setting the I-Set to max, then saving a list of voltage and max current  key/value pairs in the settings file to be used as a dynamic max current value for the dial/spinbox.

If that's not what you're talking about/not talking to me, ignore that.

Offline d_a_b

CV vs CC Mode
« Reply #689 on: April 25, 2021, 01:28:05 pm »
Please excuse my beginner question:
I am using the latest custom firmware on my RD6012 and have read both the original and custom instructions.
Also I understand the connection between volts and amps.

Still, I don't quite understand when the power supply selects CV and when it selects CC mode (automatically).

For example, when I want to measure the amperage with my multimeter, the PSU automatically switches to CC mode and the voltage is adjusted from, say, 5V to below 1V.
But which logic is used to switch between CV and CC and how can I influence this?

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #690 on: April 25, 2021, 01:53:46 pm »
Yes, it can be confusing at start.

Short explanation:

When the PSU is current limiting, it is in CC mode. Otherwise it is in CV mode.

Somewhat longer explanation:

CV and CC are the results of a maximum Voltage and a maximum Current that you have set, and the load that you connect to the PSU.

Suppose you set the PSU to 5V and 1A. Those are the maximums. The PSU will provide a maximum of 5V, and a maximum of 1A (*)

If you connect nothing, there will be no current drawn, and the PSU can supply up to the maximum voltage: 5V. The PSU will be limiting to the maximum voltage set, and will be in Constant Voltage mode: CV.
If you short circuit, the maximum current will be drawn: 1A. The PSU will be limiting to the maximum current set, and will be in Constant Current mode: CC.

through V = I * R, you can see that if you connect 5 ohms, you will get both 5V and 1A. It will be on the switching point between CV and CC.
Anything over 5 ohms, and you will still get 5V (the maximum), but a lower current than 1A. The PSU will be in CV mode.
Anything under 5 ohms, and you will get 1A (the maximum), but  a lower voltage than 5V. The PSU will be in CC mode.

(*): ...in steady state. In some circumstances, and during very small periods these maximums may be exceeded, but I imagine that is not your preoccupation right now.

The following users thanked this post: d_a_b, trmntr

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #691 on: April 26, 2021, 04:17:21 am »
I assume by auto scale you mean the power limit setting that automatically lowers the I-Set when the V-Set is high enough, if that is what you mean, I plan to add this feature into my gui, the basic version is just re-reading and updating the ui after changing the I-Set, the more advanced version will include a calibration that starts the V-Set at the highest voltage and lowers it slowly while re-setting the I-Set to max, then saving a list of voltage and max current  key/value pairs in the settings file to be used as a dynamic max current value for the dial/spinbox.

If that's not what you're talking about/not talking to me, ignore that.
I'm talking about the graphical display showing current and voltage verses time curves, in the android app they properly auto scale the graphical display is far more useful then the desk top software only it's tiny on a phone. :-(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:20:17 am by AaronR »

Offline webhdx

« Reply #692 on: April 26, 2021, 09:26:45 am »

The Wifi module can be ordered separately.
I bought it here.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/4000955270260.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.5dbb17ed58xd5G&sku_id=10000012528797321

Works good

If you have ESP-01 module (ESP 8266) laying around you can also use it. It just needs to have standard AT firmware installed. I remember UniSoft also posted firmware file here but stock AT firmware works without any issues. I'm using a DIY module and never had any issues.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #693 on: April 26, 2021, 09:35:50 am »
As I understand it the RD6006 uses Modbus protocol but it only have Wifi or USB. I wish it can have either Ethernet or RS-232 because with that I can control it with a PLC.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #694 on: April 26, 2021, 10:16:22 am »
Different options exist:

The PSU internally talks modbus over serial TTL.

WiFi: With the WiFi module, the PSU uses the ESP to simply do a serial over IP emulation (and adds some ESP init config stuff to it). So Wifi or Ethernet (both use IP) is to be considered the same channel.
But it may be that the ESP's idea of serial over IP is different than what your PLC expects. You might be better off with a second ESP or a Raspi in between, to do the IP to serial conversion.

USB: The USB port of the PSU poses as a simple USB to serial converter. You could use a raspi for example to do the USB to serial conversion back. Just make sure you incorporate galvanic isolation please.

TTL: the connector inside the PSU pushes raw modbus on the TTL interface. You can also just configure the PSU to use a TTL interface, and plug some (galvanically isolated) TTL to RS232  module in it. Should not be too hard. See https://sigrok.org/wiki/Riden_RD6006 for the pinout for example.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 11:00:22 am by bateau020 »

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #695 on: April 26, 2021, 10:54:12 am »
Looking at the header I see there is the RXD , TXD and Ground for the RS232 I think that is enough. Now is there a list of the Modbus registers for this?

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 11:11:24 am by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: BeBuLamar

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #697 on: April 26, 2021, 12:34:27 pm »
Looking at the header I see there is the RXD , TXD and Ground for the RS232 I think that is enough. Now is there a list of the Modbus registers for this?

This is the full list as far as I know https://github.com/ShayBox/Riden#list-of-modbus-rtu-instructions

The following users thanked this post: BeBuLamar

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #698 on: April 27, 2021, 01:00:21 am »
Hey @UniSoft I don't know if it's intentional but you can't press 0 and enter to set the V/I set to 0 with your firmware, the lowest is .01 with the keypad

EDIT: Does anyone know the max voltange and currents for each RD psu model, all I know is 61/18.10 for the RD6018
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 01:16:18 am by ShayBox »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #699 on: April 27, 2021, 05:06:08 am »
Hey @UniSoft I don't know if it's intentional but you can't press 0 and enter to set the V/I set to 0 with your firmware
it's intentional...
0A and/or 0V - have no sense, and equal to output OFF.
https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1718173#comment-1718173

EDIT: Does anyone know the max voltange and currents for each RD psu model, all I know is 61/18.10 for the RD6018
RD6018
60 --- 60V
18 --- 18A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf