Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 373510 times)

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #750 on: June 24, 2021, 10:07:04 am »
Could someone just enlighten me, how the firmware update works in detail to get the firmware published by Unisoft downloaded to an RD6018 and then up und running. My OS is Windows 10 Pro latest edition.
I scanned through all the posts and might have missed some explanations...

PS.: One further question: I ordered and got delivered the Standard SMPS NVVV S-800-65 from Banggood. I noticed after several tries, that the set output voltage 65.25V of the SMPS is slowly drifting upwards during usage, it reached now almost 66.36V Is that normal ?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:10:43 am by burkm »

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #751 on: June 24, 2021, 12:16:57 pm »
Could someone just enlighten me, how the firmware update works in detail to get the firmware published by Unisoft downloaded to an RD6018 and then up und running. My OS is Windows 10 Pro latest edition.
I scanned through all the posts and might have missed some explanations...

There is a global doc here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/custom-firmware-reference-document-for-riden-rd60xx-power-supplies/msg3482952/#msg3482952
That could help you.

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #752 on: June 24, 2021, 03:42:43 pm »
Thanx !

I followed the provided instructions in the document, but couldn't connect, neither using the Unisoft flash software nor the latest version of the Riden PC-software. After several unsuccessful tries I installed the additional USB=>serial driver, which is linked and described in the document. Now the connection worked and I updated to the latest custom firmware (1.34.1) :)
Just a few minutes later a message showed up in the PC software, that a new firmware (1.36) for the RD6018 is available, which seems (by its description) to have fixed some bugs (?). I didn't update right away, but I am waiting now for the corresponding custom software update by Unisoft...  :-+

PS.: The SMPS voltage seems to have stabilized at 66.36V. Will watch it, if it's still drifting (upwards)...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:55:57 am by burkm »

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #753 on: June 24, 2021, 04:48:00 pm »
If anyone wants to help, then I started writing my own software. This is what we have now. The functionality is still minimal, but it will expand.
Yes, at the moment I am interested in the opinion of users.
1. Are the UI controls too large?
2. What about the position of UI controls?
For each indicator, you can set custom colors through the context menu (separately for each skin).
In the settings panels, the numbers can be changed both from the keyboard and the mouse wheel. Buttons also appear at the top or bottom of the number, when you hover the cursor.
Maybe someone else has any ideas, suggestions, advice?

What language/toolkit?  Could it be cross-platform (Linux?  Raspberry Pi?)  Could it be open source?  Wanting something I could run on a Raspberry Pi is why I started on my own software (using wxPython).  Unfortunately I haven't had much time or interest to spend fleshing it out.

Why reinvent the wheel? sigrok is open source, cross-platform (Linux, Windows, Mac, Android, various others) and supports the RD-series power supplies. There are multiple GUIs available and it also supports command-line operation.

https://sigrok.org/wiki/RDTech_RD_series

The following users thanked this post: Cymaphore, jeremyd2019

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #754 on: June 24, 2021, 06:39:03 pm »
Didn't know about sigrok and its riden support, thanks!

Offline jeremyd2019

« Reply #755 on: June 25, 2021, 11:41:38 pm »
I didn't know about sigrok either.  Unfortunately even the latest released release didn't yet have support for rdtech-rd.  Will have to wait for my OS packages to catch up.  :popcorn:

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #756 on: June 26, 2021, 04:24:38 am »
The "stable" release from sigrok is rather old. Just use the nightly builds. It is much farther ahead. And yes, it has its bugs and incomplete behaviour. But that is no different from the "stable" release.

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #757 on: June 26, 2021, 06:29:55 pm »
I created a smuview-git aur package for anyone using archlinux, this uses libsigrok-git and supports RDTech RD series.
I noticed the max voltage and current are 60/18, but I don't know how to commit to this git repo to fix that https://sigrok.org/gitweb/?p=libsigrok.git;a=blob;f=src/hardware/rdtech-dps/api.c;h=1c67ea49d1715d5b32cb3b18b445288623438cdc;hb=HEAD#l66

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #758 on: June 27, 2021, 01:41:35 pm »
[...]
I noticed the max voltage and current are 60/18, but I don't know how to commit to this git repo to fix that https://sigrok.org/gitweb/?p=libsigrok.git;a=blob;f=src/hardware/rdtech-dps/api.c;h=1c67ea49d1715d5b32cb3b18b445288623438cdc;hb=HEAD#l66

From https://sigrok.org/gitweb/?p=libsigrok.git;a=blob;f=HACKING;hb=HEAD (the entire document is worth reading if you want to contribute to libsigrok):

Contributions
-------------

- In order to contribute you should ideally clone the git repository and
let us know (preferably via IRC, or via the mailing list) from where to
pull/review your changes. You can use github.com, or any other public git
hosting site.

- Alternatively, patches can be sent to the development mailinglist at
sigrok-devel@lists.sourceforge.net (please subscribe to the list first).

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sigrok-devel
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 01:45:44 pm by duckduck »

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #759 on: June 27, 2021, 05:05:52 pm »
Does anyone know, what the value of that trim-potentiometer is, that the output voltage of the NVVV S800-65 determines ?

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #760 on: June 30, 2021, 09:38:22 am »
Nobody, who knows ???

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #761 on: June 30, 2021, 11:59:48 am »
in-circuit measurement @0.2V-1V DC and AC 100Hz says 1k. So it's probably 1k. You might want to check if any other resistances surround this component though.

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #762 on: July 01, 2021, 10:26:45 am »
Sure ? I measured in-circuit (no power) and got 447R without considering the influence of the other surrounding resistors. I was hoping, that someone hat already removed his trim-pot there...

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #763 on: July 01, 2021, 10:31:34 am »
Sure ? I measured in-circuit (no power) and got 447R without considering the influence of the other surrounding resistors. I was hoping, that someone might have already removed his trim-pot there...

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #764 on: July 01, 2021, 12:00:59 pm »
I tested it with 2 different tools, and different voltages, so pretty sure it is 1k when fully open.
The potentiometer has 2 pins shorted, and the value will therefore vary according to the position of the wiper. Are you sure you tested it fully open?

Not knowing why you want to know this, but just in case: If you want to replace the pot with an external pot so you can control the "primary" voltage, you might be able to get a wider output voltage range by also replacing some of the surrounding resistors. But I'm not sure that you'll get the best efficiency nor the lowest ripple voltage that way.

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #765 on: July 02, 2021, 08:01:32 am »
The output voltage of my unit (SMPS) seems to drift quite a lot after looking at the measurements (RD6018), thus I consider replacing it with a cermet pot (low temperature value per °C) of equivalent value.
The alternative solder points seem to fit.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #766 on: July 02, 2021, 08:28:53 am »
I doubt that changing the pot will suffice. You will need to change the reference and the circuits around the pot as well. This is an entry level SMPS. Don't expect too much of it. And frankly, if you put the RD behind it, why care?

Offline simeonmiteff

« Reply #767 on: July 03, 2021, 11:21:52 pm »
Hi All

I worked out how to use the Python module (https://github.com/Baldanos/rd6006) to write and then (critically) save calibration registers. I've written two scripts (https://github.com/simeonmiteff/cal-riden-psu):

• calibrate.py is a command line tool to read the existing calibration registers, prompt you for new value (with handy enter-for-default where the previous values are the default) and then write them back.
  • sweep.py steps through the output voltage range 1V at a time and measures the real output with a DMM (I'm using a Python module for my UNI-T 61e). It outputs the measurement in a format easily graphed with gnuplot (see below).

I found this useful to get my RD6006 roughly calibrated for voltage. I have not checked or calibrated the current yet.

Here is a more detailed write-up about the project (including how I sniffed the modbus command for writing calibration registers to NVRAM): https://fdi.sk/posts/riden-cal/

I hope this is useful to the others in this thread. It would be cool to enhance sweep.py to use libsigrok so that it can work with a range of voltage measurement instruments. I also thought about automating the calibration but I've got my unit dialled in and probably won't spend more time on this right now. I'm happy to discuss and invite PRs on the code linked above.

Cheers!

- Simeon.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck, Cymaphore, AaronR

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #768 on: July 04, 2021, 06:39:48 am »
Nice script!
But your numbers really raise a question. Your measurements show an enormous difference between PSU and DMM: about 9V at 60V.
Yours must have come really badly calibrated indeed or have a fault. I wonder if there are many that are that far off.

Luckily mine is off by only about 85mV at 60V.
By the way, the PSU has a fair amount of drift, and seems to need a looong warm-up. The number above is after a 1 hour warm-up, when it was finally more or less stabilised.

Offline simeonmiteff

« Reply #769 on: July 04, 2021, 10:18:36 am »
But your numbers really raise a question. Your measurements show an enormous difference between PSU and DMM: about 9V at 60V.
Yours must have come really badly calibrated indeed or have a fault. I wonder if there are many that are that far off.

Indeed! - not sure why mine came with complete garbage factory calibration  ???

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #770 on: July 04, 2021, 12:30:55 pm »
Mine is off by less than 100mV across the range.  Or at least it was. I haven't checked it in months.

Offline Raf

« Reply #771 on: July 06, 2021, 12:30:38 pm »
Has anyone encountered this problem after updating to Unisoft's firmware ?

My RD6018 came with factory firmware v1.36, and after installing custom firmware (RD60181_V1.33.1.bin and RD60181_V1.34.1p.bin) the screen is rotated 90 degrees and inverted.

Did i forget something ? I can't find anything in the manual.
 I hope they didn't change the display module type...

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #772 on: July 06, 2021, 01:28:04 pm »
My RD6018 came with factory firmware v1.36, and after installing custom firmware (RD60181_V1.33.1.bin and RD60181_V1.34.1p.bin) the screen is rotated 90 degrees and inverted.

Did i forget something ? I can't find anything in the manual.
 I hope they didn't change the display module type...
Yup, for sure they changed something...
I guess just use another LCD displays (with different default settings).
You are not the first one who get the same effect.
I will check, when have time.
This explains why they release firmware updates for all models, and complete delete old versions.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 01:30:03 pm by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: ZeroVolts, Raf, AaronR

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #773 on: July 10, 2021, 10:52:10 am »
I have checked new firmware versions for 6012 and 6006P (I guess other will be the same)
There are almost no changes.
The changes affect only the work with the display, and specifically the initialization of the display.
Also, the developers used another display - ST7789, previously supported only ILI9341.
They differ mainly only in initialization. The basic set of commands is the same.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 10:15:58 am by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: ZeroVolts, AaronR

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #774 on: July 10, 2021, 01:19:49 pm »
I have all of the varieties of Riden PSUs. What do you need?
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf