Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 374599 times)

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #775 on: July 10, 2021, 02:55:36 pm »
I have all of the varieties of Riden PSUs. What do you need?
Need device (any model) with ST7789 display...
Such device is not working with custom firmware (as well as with old stock firmware)
(colors will be inverted and image rotated 90 degree) - can see the screenshot few posts earlier.
Also can be identified by Bootloader version v1.12... (maybe v1.11 - but not sure)
If you have it please PM me what model, I'll upload and give a link to the firmware for test.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:58:33 pm by UniSoft »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #776 on: July 10, 2021, 07:12:45 pm »
My RD6006P has bootloader v1.11, firmware v1.38 - any use?
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #777 on: July 10, 2021, 07:21:25 pm »
My RD6006P has bootloader v1.11, firmware v1.38 - any use?
As I said: I'am not sure if v1.11 is coming with new display.
But did you try to flash custom firmware?

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #778 on: July 10, 2021, 07:22:26 pm »
I'll try it now. 5 mins

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #779 on: July 10, 2021, 07:29:13 pm »
It works fine, so I'm guessing mine doesn't have the new display. I've got a very early serial number since I usually get sent a review model as soon as they're ready.

Sorry, I think this is the newest one out of my collection.

It's a shame the custom firmware doesn't fix the poor UI in the menus.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 07:31:49 pm by SteveyG »

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #780 on: July 11, 2021, 06:09:44 am »
It works fine, so I'm guessing mine doesn't have the new display. I've got a very early serial number since I usually get sent a review model as soon as they're ready.

Sorry, I think this is the newest one out of my collection.

It's a shame the custom firmware doesn't fix the poor UI in the menus.
It was stated very clearly that the unit needed for this display test would need to be a high sn# a very new unit.
Can you explain what you feel needs to be done with the UI? nobody can make it better by guessing what you want.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:11:55 am by AaronR »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #781 on: July 11, 2021, 02:22:50 pm »
It was stated very clearly that the unit needed for this display test would need to be a high sn# a very new unit.

I don't see any mention of the serial number? The RD6006P is very recent, so any modifications to the LCD may not have filtered through the distribution channels just yet on this model despite being present on the 'older' RD6006 of similar vintage.

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #782 on: July 11, 2021, 02:29:01 pm »
The UI on the menus is non-intuitive. Most would reach for the rotary encoder to scroll through items, especially since it's used for changing values. You'd also expect SHIFT+MENU to exit the menu rather than just ENTER which would more commonly be associated with editing and accepting a new value in the list.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #783 on: July 11, 2021, 06:53:50 pm »
The RD6006P is very recent, so any modifications to the LCD may not have filtered through the distribution channels just yet on this model despite being present on the 'older' RD6006 of similar vintage.
It doesn't matter at all if you don't downgrade the firmware.
And this also applies not only to the RD6006P, a little earlier @Raf wrote about the RD6018.

The UI on the menus is non-intuitive. Most would reach for the rotary encoder to scroll through items, especially since it's used for changing values.
intuitive enough...
the rotary encoder used only for changing values in all modes.
At least until now no one has come up with a better idea...

You'd also expect SHIFT+MENU to exit the menu rather than just ENTER
What for so complicated?
Actually click on rotary encoder is used to exit from menu...
I just duplicated the function on ENTER (as the pressure on the rotary encoder is a little hard).

ENTER which would more commonly be associated with editing and accepting a new value in the list.
And this is completely logical, changed the settings and accepted with ENTER.
What's wrong with that?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:58:34 pm by UniSoft »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #784 on: July 11, 2021, 10:05:21 pm »
The UI on the menus is non-intuitive. Most would reach for the rotary encoder to scroll through items, especially since it's used for changing values.
intuitive enough...
the rotary encoder used only for changing values in all modes.
At least until now no one has come up with a better idea...

It's probably logical to someone who already has the experience with the UI, but if you look at virtually every out-of-the box YouTube review, the reviewer is fiddling with the buttons trying to work out how to move to through the menus. Compare that to using a branded piece of hardware where you don't even have to think about the interface. The UI shouldn't present a barrier to the user, hence why lots of effort is put into HF and UX.

If a rotary encoder is there, you'd expect most of the interaction with it - e.g. scroll with the encoder, push to select, scroll to change a value, push to store.

And this is completely logical, changed the settings and accepted with ENTER.
What's wrong with that?

Because as you put it that way, you may not be accepting any changes. In the absence of a back key, you'd normally drop out of the menu with a menu key.

What for so complicated?
Actually click on rotary encoder is used to exit from menu...
I just duplicated the function on ENTER (as the pressure on the rotary encoder is a little hard).

If you're not using the encoder to scroll through menu items, why would you consider using the encoder to return to the main screen?  :o

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #785 on: July 11, 2021, 10:12:08 pm »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #786 on: July 19, 2021, 02:48:41 pm »
New firmware (including updated RDFlasher)
Added support for LCD ST7789
RD60062_V1.36.1b.bin
RD60065_V1.40.1b.bin
RD60121_V1.34.1b.bin
RD60181_V1.36.1b.bin

Thanks for help:
@Bender Rodriguez (monitor.net.ru)
@JorgH
@Raf

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #787 on: July 23, 2021, 05:30:46 pm »
New firmware (including updated RDFlasher)
Added support for LCD ST7789
RD60062_V1.36.1b.bin
RD60065_V1.40.1b.bin
RD60121_V1.34.1b.bin
RD60181_V1.36.1b.bin

Downloaded this zip to upgrade my RD6018 and 6006P. The new RDFlasher makes the process easier by only presenting firmware for the connected power supply. It selects Unisoft's "1b" variants but also lets your select the stock firmware that it is based on.

The 6006P firmware upgrade went fine but the 6018 upgrade failed at different points (i.e. percentage completions), both with Unisoft's and the stock firmware. My 6018 and desktop are about 1.5 metres apart which was just a bit longer than a single 1.5 metre USB A to micro cable would reach. I was using a much longer USB-A to female USB-A extension than I needed, about 2.5 metres, for a total of 4 metres. When I got a shorter USB A to female USB A extension, the firmware upgrade worked. So if others run into a "Firmware error", try a shorter cable.

I like USB PD (power delivery) but the rest of USB would be in the trash can of history if USB didn't delivery power :-)

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #788 on: July 24, 2021, 03:09:03 pm »
_www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml15mX4u5bE
Here in the comments I made another attempt and made an offer to developers to work together on the firmware.
But the answer was... strange...  :-//

They opened my eyes, and now I know that the hardware is different and one firmware cannot be used for all devices.  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 03:17:35 pm by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, trazor

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #789 on: July 28, 2021, 05:07:08 am »
soon will be released RD6012P...
found in comments, here
_www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sg0cf8-hFM

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #790 on: July 30, 2021, 07:24:42 pm »
When you get bored, there's always Mandlebrot

:-)

The following users thanked this post: ledtester

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #791 on: August 01, 2021, 08:50:30 pm »
Hello Unisoft, is it possible to add an option that turns off the output of the rd6006 and shows a warning message or sound an alarm (buzzer), if the input voltage is below a certain user definable value? i use a 14s6p (58.8v) lithium battery as power source and would like to set the minimum input voltage of 46.2v. when the battery discharges below this value the RD6006 should turn off the output/Lock output to OFF and warns of low input voltage.

For example:

set_minimum_input_voltage = user definable (Off or 6-70v, where Off disables this function and the unit works as default, and 6-70v user definable minimum input voltage range)

conditions:

if input_voltage >= set_minimum_input_voltage then RD6006 Output Normal
if input_voltage < set_minimum_input_voltage then RD6006 turn off Output/Lock output to OFF and buzzer alarm or show message, protecting the input supply if it is a battery.
if set_minimum_input_voltage = Off then ignore this function and rd6006 will work as default

Thank you

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #792 on: August 02, 2021, 07:36:09 pm »
There's not much of an input voltage range before the output voltage starts getting limited and the device will start showing errors and automatically lowering the Vset, you get 60-70v input range on the 6018 and a bit more for the 6012 and 6006, seems more like a buck boost converters job.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #793 on: August 03, 2021, 09:59:41 am »
I think it will be easy to implement this functionality through software since rd6006 unit already monitors the input voltage. In my opinion, this feature is extremely important when using a lithium battery as  input power source instead of transformer. Although the packs I use have BMS, the monitoring of the pack discharge has to be done by me controlling the input voltage on the rd6006 and when it reaches, for example, the value of 46.2v for a pack 58.8, 33v for a pack 42v, 42.9v for 54.6v package, I have to manually disconnect the rd6006 and charge the pack. I use the rd6006 as a portable unit. This automatic feature will avoid any distraction in controlling the input voltage, compromising the battery. Another way to solve this problem would be through an extra board that monitors the input voltage, but it would be another pcb to be added, when the rd6006 could do this automatically.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:08:58 am by ptluis »

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #794 on: August 03, 2021, 01:37:31 pm »
I think it will be easy to implement this functionality through software since rd6006 unit already monitors the input voltage. In my opinion, this feature is extremely important when using a lithium battery as  input power source instead of transformer. Although the packs I use have BMS, the monitoring of the pack discharge has to be done by me controlling the input voltage on the rd6006 and when it reaches, for example, the value of 46.2v for a pack 58.8, 33v for a pack 42v, 42.9v for 54.6v package, I have to manually disconnect the rd6006 and charge the pack. I use the rd6006 as a portable unit. This automatic feature will avoid any distraction in controlling the input voltage, compromising the battery. Another way to solve this problem would be through an extra board that monitors the input voltage, but it would be another pcb to be added, when the rd6006 could do this automatically.

Interesting use. What type of battery are you using for this portable application?

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #795 on: August 03, 2021, 09:15:58 pm »

Interesting use. What type of battery are you using for this portable application?

Best,

Hello I'm using Lithium batteries 18650 (Panasonic PF, Sanyo GA, LG MJ1) or 21700 (Samsung INR21700-50E at the moment) packs range from 4P up to 10P. This is really useful because the output from rd6006 is cleaner, ripple is low and solve most of the problems that smps causes, at least to my needs. The downside is the weight but also depends on the total size of the pack. This "portable" RD6006 works good with batteries but lack the feature I'm asking unisoft to add.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, mawyatt

Offline sofakng

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #796 on: August 10, 2021, 02:36:59 am »
Would it be possible to power the RD6018 using USB-C PD (power delivery) ?

For example, USB-C PD supports up to 20V (5A) so I'm wondering if I can use a USB-PD trigger cable/adapter and connect the RUIDEN to it?

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #797 on: August 10, 2021, 03:29:56 am »
Would it be possible to power the RD6018 using USB-C PD (power delivery) ?

For example, USB-C PD supports up to 20V (5A) so I'm wondering if I can use a USB-PD trigger cable/adapter and connect the RUIDEN to it?

In theory yes. Would it be great? No. Will it deliver 60V 18A? Absolutely not, it will stay WAY below.

For starters you would indeed need a USB-C PD mains adapter plus one of those "USB-C PD to constant voltage" adapters.
The PSU allows 6-70V input, so it will power up. BUT, it is not a boost converter: it cannot deliver more volts than the input voltage. It is a buck converter, and has a minimum voltage drop of >1V and >10%. So suppose you set the input voltage to 20V, the RD6018 will theoretically be able to deliver something like up to 18V. And do not expect to get all 5A either (at maximum voltage). You will be able to get higher amps at lower output voltages though.
Specs: http://www.ruidengkeji.com/inst/RD6018.pdf

So it will be able to deliver about 18V and 4.5A (at maximum voltage). Not great. Many more PSUs can do that.

If you want to fully use the RD6018 to 60V 18A, get a 70V 20A primary power supply.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 03:50:22 am by bateau020 »

Offline jasom

• Contributor
« Reply #798 on: August 15, 2021, 04:09:50 pm »
Hello, fw is working well. But is possible to connect it to original Riden app thru wifi?

Thank You

Offline eevwee

« Reply #799 on: August 15, 2021, 07:24:41 pm »
Hi,

Completely new to RD6006P I had to flash it with the costum firmware (RD60065_V1.40.1b.bin) right away  ;D.
However after a successful flash, I am unable to get any power out of it, regardless of if the ON button is lit or not.

Flashing with 'RD60065_V1.40.bin' works fine, so did the original v1.39. Is 'RD60065_V1.40.1b.bin' wrong for this device?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf