Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 367189 times)

Offline maukkaTopic starter

• Supporter
RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« on: August 28, 2019, 06:32:51 am »
Ruideng, which manufactures that neat DP-series of DC power supply modules just teased their first big box DC power supply. Doesn't come with an AC-DC power supply so you have to source your own. Hope Dave will get to try and burn up this one too.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/68706

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:53:29 am »
Saw this posted on Twitter earlier, and I almost replied to them saying please don't spam the EEVblog forums about it.   :-DD
It does look good.  Much more useable than the older models, but it is still a SMPS so maybe not for any low noise work.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 10:11:34 pm »
Much more useable than the older models, but it is still a SMPS so maybe not for any low noise work.

Yeah but look at that screen setting: 65V 6A!
Get a second low current linear supply for anything low noise.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 06:34:40 pm »
Yeah but look at that screen setting: 65V 6A!

The model number implies operation up to 60V and 6A.  I think 65V is just the required input voltage with some headroom.  I'm guessing it is buck topolgy not buck/boost.

We don't yet know if it is rated for 360W continuous, and I somehow doubt it will be.

You will need to source your own 65V 400W? PSU of the correct dimensions - all yet to be confirmed - but that isn't a common voltage.  Commonly available 48V PSUs (eg Meanwell) can usually only be adjusted about +/-15% (~56V).

I have 2 of the DP50V5A and 2 x DPH5005, but I rarely use the RD units due to having at least a dozen other lab supplies in the workshop (either full linear, or hybrid SMPS/linear).  This is largely in part to having poor UX and requiring external power source.

This new model potentially addresses the biggest issues, so it will be interesting to see what they release.  I was thinking about getting the DPS5020 for occasional high current applications, but may wait to see what comes...

Offline maukkaTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 07:28:51 am »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 08:03:31 am »
Cool but we'll see if it "stands up" straight.... or falls on it's ar*e when tested!  >:D
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 02:44:03 pm »
Is there some kind of challenge, who can dig up the cheapest junk from china?

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Weston

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 03:06:43 pm »
If you can change the PSU from that brand to a quality one like Delta or Emerson I don't see why it could not be a competent product. Only if the controller itself is sh#t...

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 03:13:51 pm »
Usually some folks relate  price to quality...

and for my personal past experience...
price does not always means quality...

very frequently .. not even "good" stuff.

Some marketing folks deposit to the BRAND
the faith of the product as being good.

it just don't fit real world use

Paul

Offline iain walker

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 03:21:16 pm »
Just to let folks know there is 30% off this RD6006 on banggood for the next 2 and half days.

I ordered one (and the case with the hardware set and the switching power supply) on the basis its better than nothing.

Offline teksturi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 09:55:05 am »
Just to let folks know there is 30% off this RD6006 on banggood for the next 2 and half days.

I ordered one (and the case with the hardware set and the switching power supply) on the basis its better than nothing.

How convenient that someone just happen to register to forum just to tell to buy something from sale.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah, Cubdriver

Offline GuidoK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 09:28:39 pm »
The big question is, is it better than a Korad KD3005P? (or KD3305P if you buy 2)

They are simlar in price. Its pretty much 60v vs. 30v and switched vs. linear.

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 12:32:43 pm »

How convenient that someone just happen to register to forum just to tell to buy something from sale.  :popcorn:

Not surprisingly. Look what I found here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/69632
GIFT FOR SPREAD

Hope this information can help you, if you help me spread the message(need to show that we publish RD6006, product link, discount information, with some picture of RD6006), there will be a gift when you make order, not send separately, just take a picture to show me. 

1, spread on 1 or 2 different forum or social media, voltage meter as gift, worth about 1-3 USD

2, spread on 3 or 4 or 5 different forums or social medias, voltage converter as gift, worth about 3-6 USD(you can get this easily if you have twitter/Facebook/Instagram account)

3, spread on more than 6 different forums or social medias, AT34 as gift, worth about 9 USD

All gifts are random with corresponding value. Remember to take a picture show the result, I will give you the gift

Offline Vaiti

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 01:52:18 pm »
I get they are trying to market, but this isn't a good look for them. Also might end up getting them banned here if they are soliciting people to spam.

The following users thanked this post: Xenoamor

Offline GuidoK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 11:00:51 pm »
This is a video (from the link in the TS) with some performance testing.
Noise is about 30-50mV pp.
Too bad they don't show a plot of potential V overshoot when turning on.

https://youtu.be/pz0T9rD4Ij0

Offline TD-er

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 10:15:41 pm »
The Windows software for this unit is detected as a virus by 5 virusscanners (used Jotti's virusscanner page)
So the file was already removed when I tried to unzip it.

Does anyone have a version which is not recognized as a virus?

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 10:25:46 am »
The Windows software for this unit is detected as a virus by 5 virusscanners (used Jotti's virusscanner page)
So the file was already removed when I tried to unzip it.

Does anyone have a version which is not recognized as a virus?

This may sound "hatred" or else... whatever,

There is a single one shot solution to your problem:
- DITCH WINDOWS.
- You no longer will need not even one anti virus.
- Your apps have more than 80% chance they will run just fine in Wine
- You probably will put the manufacturer in this direction as well

and they may take the same sane decision.

Hopefully.
Paul

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 09:11:33 pm »
Got my today. Time to have some fun  :-+

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki, nikitasius

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 04:31:42 am »
Got my today. Time to have some fun  :-+

Assembled and initial test
First note: This model GUI/layout is a 1000% improvement over DPS series.
Assembly:
+ Good and safe package
+ Housing is compact and well built, it's all to size and aligned
+ Stackable design
+ Manual is clear, all steps are there but could be better, for example put the screw image near the step, so we don't have to scroll up and down on PDF
+ Simple and fast assembly, everything is plug and screw type, no soldering needed
+ I check every crimp, they are crimped correctly and will not slide away, also they are isolated with the plastic sleeve
+ Rubber feet contain inside a metal washer in middle
+ RD fans are passive up to some temperature or amperage, so silent operation most of the time
+ Chassis is earthed by PSU screws, good continuity, almost no resistence
+ Used cables seens ok for the requirements
+ Lightweight (This is not necessary good)
- The DC cables that connect to the buck PWR IN are the only cable not crimped, they use soldered wires to screw to the terminal
- On PSU mount area i got some kind of double tape, not very sticky, not straight, applied bent tape over tape, looks like a mistake and they don't care to replace. Not needed anyway.
- My PSU fan is always on beside the note on top says "Fan have On/Off circuit" - not true, maybe they have speed over temperature adjustment but not ON/OFF, not loud but will disturb. Yours also too?
- AC switch on back - I hate this since i have large workbench with stacks of equipment’s and reach back mean get up, try to not hit stuff put my hand on back and find the switch. I know this simplify the build and cables routes but worth the effort and extra! Also, i don't like have power equipment’s always on, on stand-by, if i leave i want them dead, not sleeping waiting for a disaster to happen. Fortunately, i have a power extension on my side with some free sockets, each socket have independent switch so I can use that to fix the problem.
- MicroUSB instead of Type-C, not critical, we know is cheaper and easier. Better microusb then bad implemented Type-C.
- USB at front, we can hit the cable and it will stay at front of stuff, that kind of stuff should be hidden at back, we know module can be used alone, but a addon board could be made and with a flat ribbon cable connect from back to front to use with this enclosures.

GUI/Interface:
+ A very big improvement over last model and beat many professional models out there
+ In general it's very easy to operate, every function is a pleasure to use.
+ Very easy to set desired voltage, click V-SET, type the volts eg: “5” button, click “ENTER” and is SET. You can also use the encoder to increase the values but that is slow and unpractical to me when you want go fast, many PSU still use the encoder only and arrow keys to set V and I which i dislike a lot, for example sigilent spd1305x.
+ Recals and saves are fast to set (3 button clicks), in comparison my sigilent spd1305x is a pain to do that and I avoid that function at all cost. With RD6006 is a heaven recalling.
+ Setting page allow you to customize important stuff, like Power on behavior, confirm before recall and save, power on behavior after recall, get rid of boot logo to instant boot times, select from wifi, usb, mute beeps, brightness.
+ Firmware upgradable over USB, no more board hacking
- Add a option to click and hold some key to switch between graph mode and normal mode -- Very usefull shortcut! eg. click and hold ENTER?
- Add a option to auto shutdown after x seconds on idle state, doesn’t hurt to have this as a optional option.
- Make use of press and hold to access recalls, lock/unlock, access settings, maybe add this option on settings and replace the need of shift by push and hold?
- When you recall a preset it show at bottom the number - That's ok, but when you change your output that should put an * near to indicate changes was made. Also when you save the preset it will stay showing the last recall, that's also wrong, should show last save slot instead because we are now using that slot. Eg: Recall M2, change output, Save to M3 -- This should put M3 at bottom and not stay at M2
- keypad follow PC keyboard numbering, personally i prefer phone pattern for this aplication (1 top left first, 2, 3)
- LCD show V and I below. But on GUI buttons that's other way, first button set I and second set V, that's a big no sense to me, if you look LCD and naturally press the key your brain will move you to the wrong button to follow the LCD pattern, even if you read button label fast you may go wrong button - This need training for me.
- Green terminal for battery charging, big mistake, I bet someone at any time will use this as Earth. Worse when is Positive rail! They should put that as a red like color, an orange for example. Also why not include a earth terminal too?
-> As a feature request would like to see RGB on I-SET and V-SET, and set them RED when OVP and OCP kicks in

App Software:
+ Both PC and android app works fine to me, no virus detected by Kaspersky.
+ Software is responsive and easy to use
+ Can upgrade firmware via software, with check update function
+ Doesn't require ugly dependencies and services, work as portable
+ Almost every feature is avaliable there, beside some settings on menu page
+ Software show both normal view and power curve
- When using comunication this will lock physical access to the GUI, would be nice to operate both and sync

So far I only had time to play with user interface, no test made to performance or ripple yet. If things match up to specs this will be a winner product. No regrets so far.

EDIT: 20/11/2019
Battery Charging:

Tested some basic charging with Pb batteries 12V and ion cells 4.2v
At charge levels it behave like any other commun PSU but:

+ Fault detection, when shorting the output turn OFF and stay, to continue you need to turn on manually again
+ If voltage falls to abnormal value or disconnect a wire the output turns OFF and stay, to continue you need to turn on manually again
+ If you reverse the poles on battery connector while output is ON nothing happens, no power draw
+ When you set a voltage lower than battery source and turn on output it automatically turns off the output
+ When charge ends (at very low mA), output turns off
+ If you turn on output without a battery and then connect to battery output turns OFF, because of abnormal voltage detection, so you need to connect battery first and turn output after, nice one
+ If output is ON using battery connector, probes disconnected there's no flow (OL at voltmeter), it need to detect some source of positive voltage before start to flow current
+ While output is off using normal connection +V it show current battery voltage, this is not true if you use battery connector
- While output is off using normal connection +V, if you connect battery on reverse poles it shows 0V 3A draw and start falling down to 0 overtime (This happen with 18650 ion but not with Pb showing 0V 0.085A and fixed there)
- While output is off and connect a battery it won't show battery voltage like the V+ connector, but will show the voltage near battery icon overtime with a scroll
- When a battery is detected (Volts) battery icon turns red, why not green if ok and red if reverse connected?
- If you change voltage while charging, it will accept and continue, bad thing, so you can charge ion at 4.2V and then set 6V that will bypass. Please fix this! turn output off when change voltage in battery mode to be safe and let user turn output ON again

So this battery output is a win when using batteries, is there to be used so make use of it. The protections make sense and are always a plus.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:15:22 am by sn4k3 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Gabri74, Mortymore, PKTKS, grizewald, GuidoK, nikitasius, trmntr

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 09:29:48 am »

What parts came bundled with your package?
The whole housing? just the PSU appart?

It really looks 100% improvement although
the DPS series has a much smaller footprint
which allows even double units in a single house...

Looks good
Paul

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 07:35:08 pm »

Its very clear in the sales listing what you get: https://www.banggood.com/RD6006RD6006-W-Digital-Control-Switch-Adjustable-Power-Supply-DC-Stabilized-Power-Adapter-Buck-Module-Monitoring-Power-Supply-p-1587151.html

You choose either:
- Front face portion (with or without wifi)
- Metal case (includes power jack, fan, cables, etc.)
- Standalone fixed 110/220V power supply (just a generic one)

Manual here: www.ruidengkeji.com/inst/RD6006.pdf

One weird thing to me is the green terminal is "Battery charging" NOT earth ground. There is no provision to connect earth that I see, so this might cause some confusion. Would be nice if they had made it Yellow or another color than green (but the feature idea is good).

edit: sn4k3 stated this above already.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:48:31 pm by thm_w »

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 09:46:53 pm »

It really looks 100% improvement although
the DPS series has a much smaller footprint
which allows even double units in a single house...

Looks good
Paul

I had to buy 3 separate items: PSU + RD6006-W + Case.
You can see assembly manual, everything there was included.
You also need CR1220 Button Cell Batteries if you want the clock function, not included!

DPS series smaller, but at cost of very bad UI, it take ages (lot of steps) to do stuff there. Of course if you want portability and use the unit time a time the DPS can come handy, still for me is a downgrade when you can go RD6006 right now.
If on bench you can stack RD6006 up to the units you want, while DPS can became unstable up to some units due lack of base area

One weird thing to me is the green terminal is "Battery charging" NOT earth ground. There is no provision to connect earth that I see, so this might cause some confusion. Would be nice if they had made it Yellow or another color than green (but the feature idea is good).

I stated that, big mistake indeed, we can replace the cap to other color but why green  :-//
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:52:14 pm by sn4k3 »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 09:52:59 pm »
What PSU did you use, it looks like 65VDC?

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 10:13:04 pm »
What PSU did you use, it looks like 65VDC?

The recommended one. 60VDC, boosted to 65VDC at trimpot

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 01:46:35 am »
Also getting flagged as virus "Trojan:Win32/Fuerboos.A!cl". I've emailed RD tech to see if they can provide a standalone exe or something instead.

"Measure" setting in the options has low/med/high in terms of update rate, but it acts as a filter. I had it set on Low and when turning on the output the numbers would slowly increase, really it was not slow. Change the 'measure' mode to Fast and it will be more realistic. BTW quite impressed at the LCD update rate they get with STM32F103 and this high res screen.

Good quote from the manual:
The calibration fine-tuning function needs to be operated by a professional electronic person who has more than five and a half multimeters.

USB port detects as CH340.
Firmware version: V1.25
SN: 1304

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf