Author Topic: Adding Front Panel Connector to Agilent/Keysight DC Communication Source  (Read 334 times)

Offline ZGoodeTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Grad student by day, equipment nerd also by day
I'm working on adding a front panel connector to my 66321B.  I was wondering if I should add a shielding braid around the cable since it runs right next to the main power transformer.  I'm currently using an unshielded 18awg 5 conductor stranded cable to route the V+, V-, Sense+, Sense-, and Ground.  While, I know adding shielding shouldn't hurt anything, I don't know if it is worth it in this case.
The main reason I am asking, is I do not have any on hand and would have to order some copper braid if I wanted to do that.  If people don't think it is necessary, I probably won't bother.
Any thoughts here?

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Not necessary. Anything from the transformer will be mains frequency magnetic fields, you can't easily stop them but they won't cause issues with this anyway. Just keep the sense wires twisted together.

I'm working on my own front breakout for a 66309D - going with a box on the side though. Will share designs once done.

Finally if you get the chance could you take high res photos of the small board that's connected by flying wires? Am interested in what is on that board, given it's the main difference between the 66309/66311 and the 66319/66321 units.

The following users thanked this post: ZGoode

Offline ZGoodeTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Grad student by day, equipment nerd also by day
Yeah, I can go ahead and get you some images when I tear the thing back down later today.  I gotta take it back apart to put the front label on the panel.

Offline vaualbus

• Frequent Contributor
On the board there is a MOLEX connector used when the option 521 is used, in there you have both output voltage and current; I think what is missing from that connector is teh sense line (saying this because option 521 do no close the sense line when you have the output off, resulting in an "erroneous" reading on the display)
So "hacking" that MOLEX connector I guess is way better than having to modify the back too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf