Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 367076 times)

Delta213 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2020, 05:20:32 am »
You could always make the same measurement between each of the output terminals of the AC PSU and real ground when you have it wired up the same way as in the chassis. My gut feeling is that won't show anything unusual but my gut feeling was that your earlier post was a non-issue, so take that with a grain of salt.
Does the 60V go away when you switch the output on the rd6006 on?

I thought of a slightly easier way to test it. I installed a little 12v 3a meanwell SMPS I have here in it, and surprise surprise - it doesnt exhibit the same behavior. So clearly this crappy little 60v SMPS is at fault.

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2020, 05:53:59 am »
I'm now throughly confused. Put it all back together with the cheap SMPS and the fault has gone. I have even managed to measure the switching noise (300mv p-t-p)  :-//  |O

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2020, 06:04:03 am »
Further development. It's the screws in the mounting on the underside of the SMPS, when they are fully tightened it seems to short...  :wtf: :wtf:

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, patman27

Offline AlexFerro

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2020, 06:10:30 am »
Looking closer at your first picture, it actually looks like the rd6006 output was at -60V relative to earth ground. That would mean that the screw is shorting the *positive* output to earth ground, which would be a significantly bigger problem than it shorting the negative to earth unintentionally (lots of good reasons to either intentionally of course), especially with this power supply. It's up to you if you think that the PSU doing this is indicative of a poor design, and thus that trusting it to be safe and keep working is a bad idea, or if you can safely add some extra insulation around the screws.
Typos and other errors graciously sponsored by my brain and/or the time of day.

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2020, 06:30:54 am »
It was just the screw under the positive output side of the SMPS, it was obviously pinching something so for now I have just completely omitted that screw. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it starts behaving.  :palm:

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2020, 07:22:48 am »
It was just the screw under the positive output side of the SMPS, it was obviously pinching something so for now I have just completely omitted that screw. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it starts behaving.  :palm:

You're not the only person to have had that problem. Someone else had the same problem as discussed in the first few minutes of this video:

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2020, 08:14:16 am »

You're not the only person to have had that problem. Someone else had the same problem as discussed in the first few minutes of this video:

He has exactly the same SMPS as me, good spotting!

It's this guy - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881734603.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.6df84c4d2Yvmib

Beware I guess. This is what blew the USB port out of the thing too!

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2020, 12:19:01 pm »
Although my unit(s) will be powered by a beefy 500VA 7Kg linear back-end, I'd still be interested to see noise measurements with CY1/2 removed on that Banggood provided SMPS.

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2020, 01:05:05 am »
This is what I've come up with for the capacitor bank, It's designed to mount on top of the SMPS with some standoffs.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2020, 11:10:35 am »
 How this work setting current limiting low (100/200ma) with  high load (for example trying to search a shorted component)? It's stable? Any overshot at power on?
Thanks!

Offline G8XFH

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2020, 06:22:46 pm »
To get the desktop app to work over a wired network connection is fiddly but doable.

First you have to set the PSU up as per the limited instructions using the mobile app. Be warned its buggy...

It looks like the PSU sets up a hidden WiFi access point. You configure the mobile app with your network name and password of your router and then let it connect to the PSU to pass the login information. You must have location services switched on or the app will crash on an iOS device

the IP address which the app uses is the IP address of the device you are working from. The PSU seems to uses this IP address to make a connection "to" the application

Once the information has been passed, it looks like the PSU then sets up a connection to your router and waits for the App to connect to it (No idea why it needs IP address of your mobile device)

The mobile device should now connect and work nicely.

Now, if you want your desktop application to connect to the PSU, switch off your mobile device and change the IP address of your desktop to that which the mobile device was using before you switched it off  and hey presto, the desktop app now connects to the PSU using the wired network connection.

If anyone from RIDEN is reading this, PLEEEEEASE look at this and change the setup to allow easy connection from a wired desktop device!!!

And please, if anyone knows another way, please share

Dave

The following users thanked this post: AaronR

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2020, 03:42:38 am »
To get the desktop app to work over a wired network connection is fiddly but doable.

First you have to set the PSU up as per the limited instructions using the mobile app. Be warned its buggy...

It looks like the PSU sets up a hidden WiFi access point. You configure the mobile app with your network name and password of your router and then let it connect to the PSU to pass the login information. You must have location services switched on or the app will crash on an iOS device

the IP address which the app uses is the IP address of the device you are working from. The PSU seems to uses this IP address to make a connection "to" the application

Once the information has been passed, it looks like the PSU then sets up a connection to your router and waits for the App to connect to it (No idea why it needs IP address of your mobile device)

The mobile device should now connect and work nicely.

Now, if you want your desktop application to connect to the PSU, switch off your mobile device and change the IP address of your desktop to that which the mobile device was using before you switched it off  and hey presto, the desktop app now connects to the PSU using the wired network connection.

If anyone from RIDEN is reading this, PLEEEEEASE look at this and change the setup to allow easy connection from a wired desktop device!!!

And please, if anyone knows another way, please share

Dave

That sounds like a right old mess, I had assumed it was simply MODBUS over TCP/IP - the USB is MODBUS/USB.

I am just waiting for the replacement parts and the wireless adapter to show up so I can have a poke round on that side

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2020, 04:13:11 am »
How this work setting current limiting low (100/200ma) with  high load (for example trying to search a shorted component)? It's stable? Any overshot at power on?
Thanks!

They seem pretty stable. As for overshoot - my simple setup can't measure much, 0.31% for 9v / 375ma into a 24ohm load and 0.82% when the power supply goes into constant current when it's set to 100ma.

The following users thanked this post: AaronR

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2020, 06:04:39 am »
Whoa, seem quite good!
I not see any noticeable ripple.
And with lower load, maybe 2 or 3 ohm?
Thanks!

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2020, 06:31:29 am »
Whoa, seem quite good!
I not see any noticeable ripple.
And with lower load, maybe 2 or 3 ohm?
Thanks!

Here it is into a 1ohm resistor. The constant current kicks in and clamps the voltage - 100mA was clamping at 90mV and I was having a hard time capturing it; So I did it at 200mA

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2020, 07:29:22 am »
To me look almost perfect   :-+ :-+
No one have found strange problems/behaviours with this psu?
I was in doubt between this and a korad... but i think that i've found my new bench psu  8) 8) paired with a good linear backend i think that can do a really good job.

Thank you for the tests!

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2020, 04:27:51 pm »
New batch of measurements for those interested...

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2020, 12:28:22 pm »
An output relay would be nice to stop those power on spikes. For the sudden load test in cc, until there are capacitors on the output, there would be always an overshot. Also some linear supplies have this problem, quite normal on an smps one. I not know how the  better/$$$ units handle this.
In any case in this price range i think that is still quite impressive...

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2020, 02:56:36 am »
Well the bits needed to fix my exploded USB port showed up.

Swapped them all over and all is well, seems all the isolation works  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Back to hacking on code for them now.

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2020, 12:22:29 am »
Capacitor bank boards have arrived.

Guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

:-DD

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2020, 02:26:05 am »
Couldn't find a CR1220 locally for less than $7  :--  An old mobo had what I needed..  :-+
928000-0

Offline ct1bxt

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2020, 02:29:14 am »

Swapped them all over and all is well, seems all the isolation works  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Hi,

did you find the cause of the explosion ?
It was the screw length ?
I have one of those power supplies and, as you noticed, the screws are lite bit longer as .
I go to buy some washers in order to avoid such CC.

Regards
Rodrigo

Offline BlackFX

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2020, 02:38:39 am »

Hi,

did you find the cause of the explosion ?
It was the screw length ?
I have one of those power supplies and, as you noticed, the screws are lite bit longer as .
I go to buy some washers in order to avoid such CC.

Regards
Rodrigo

it was 100% caused by the screw hitting the leg of the main output cap in the 60v PSU :)

I just run it with 3 screws.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: ct1bxt

Online Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2020, 01:20:54 pm »
Being furious with the wi-fi connection procedure I made a simple mod, and now I'm always in touch.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:54:27 pm by Evi »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline msillano

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2020, 02:44:16 pm »
Abour RD6006, You can see the results of my protocol reverse engineering here:
 https://github.com/msillano/RD6006-Super-power-supply

It is easy to test the protocol using node-red and  node-red-contrib-modbus.
Best regards
m.s.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Cliff Matthews, BlackFX

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf