Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 375714 times)

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #1000 on: May 10, 2022, 08:25:44 am »
Is there a full user manual or guide? I was trying to disable the beep sound but couldn't seem to find it in the menu.

Check out this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/custom-firmware-reference-document-for-riden-rd60xx-power-supplies/msg3482952/#msg3482952

Offline sonic

• Regular Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #1001 on: May 12, 2022, 04:26:33 pm »
Thanks for your firmware mods, Unisoft!

A great addition would be a setting to automatically activate key lock after boot. So together with auto-power-on and auto-output-on it could tumble around in my eBike rack bag and always supply power without getting reconfigured accidentally.

Offline Maxie

• Contributor
« Reply #1002 on: May 15, 2022, 09:04:08 am »
For those, who are on the factory software.
Ruideng has revised the documentation for all RD model power supplies, can be found here:
http://www.ruidengkeji.com/inst/

Online luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: May 15, 2022, 09:42:26 am »
For those, who are on the factory software.
Ruideng has revised the documentation for all RD model power supplies, can be found here:
http://www.ruidengkeji.com/inst/

Looks like only the Chinese version was updated (RD6012P.pdf). The English language one still says "2021.10.26".

luudee

Offline Oleksii

• Contributor
« Reply #1004 on: June 04, 2022, 05:59:07 pm »
#BUGREPORT
Time ON counter has a huge drift (in firmware)!

When we turn ON output, there is a time counter on display ("ON-counter" later). That counter is also used for "CutOff time" for Battery charger mode.
In my case, it counts time by 23 seconds slower for each hour.

I did a few experiments:
Charged a battery for 1 hour, CC mode 2.000A. I used also for time reference an external desktop digital clock/stopwatch (checked it before test with my laptop - it's precise).
As proof, I provide screenshots at needed time from video recordings I did by smartphone.

Here is a result on Test #1, :
1503283-0
When I  had exactly 1 hour (3600 seconds) passed, my Riden counted 1.999Ah (let's assume 2.000Ah, as one second mismatch is possible on the start), while the ON-counter showed 00:59:37, i.e. 23 seconds less.

Test #2. CC mode with current 3.600A.
In settings I set "CutOff time" to 1 hour.
Beginning, at 20th second. I tried to turn ON output and start the external stopwatch at 18:41:00 (it could have up to 1 second mismatch):
1503289-1

here is exactly 1 hour passed according to the "ON-counter", a moment before output will be OFF:
1503295-2

here is a moment later when it's just turned OFF:
1503301-3

So, my external stopwatch counted 23 seconds more than the "ON-counter". Riden's hardware clock shows 19:41:22, so also it spent 22 (we assume 23) seconds more than the "ON-counter".
Counted capacity correspondingly shows, say, "21mA higher" than it "should be" if we would provide 3.600A current during 3600 seconds.
Luckily the capacity counter is using riden's hardware clock and is not affected by "ON-counter" drift.

Note about 21 mA - it should be more like 23mA, right? Looks like at least 1-2 mA are lost somewhere during counting, I assume on beginning and/or at end of counting period.

I would be happy if the "ON-counter" drift will be fixed, as I use the feature to check and calibrate my other battery chargers/dischargers.

I use #UniSoft's Firmware  V1.40.1g on RD6006P

p.s. not sure why attachments are not rendered in-line of the message, but below they are in order as were mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 07:28:11 am by Oleksii »

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1005 on: June 19, 2022, 07:41:43 pm »
#BUGREPORT
Time ON counter has a huge drift (in firmware)!

Hello,
I have tried and I have also the drift on my RD6006P.

So maybe it is a small drift of the xtal on the STM32 ?  ???
(there are 2 xtal, maybe one for the RTC, and the other for running the inside software ?)

Offline JGILABERT

« Reply #1006 on: June 20, 2022, 06:30:08 am »
23 seconds in one our is 0.6%, standard xtal accuracy is 0.005% (0.2 seconds in one hour)

Offline bdlow

Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply - how does the wifi setup function?
« Reply #1007 on: July 05, 2022, 10:51:06 am »
The wifi modules for the RuiDeng Riden RDxxxx series power supplies seem to have the same wifi setup process, involving the phone app providing the desired wifi details to the RDxxxx wifi module. I'm really puzzled as to how this mechanism works; I was expecting it to create a temporary SSID or similar, but it doesn't seem to do that. How does it work?

Here's what the process looks like to the user, for an uninitialised wifi module on power on:

1. the PSU will display "Server IP: --.---.---.---" and sit there waiting (an 'X' is displayed that will allow the user to skip wifi setup by pressing the Enter key)
  - the docs say the RDxxxx wifi module will "automatically" connect to the strongest wifi signal; however it obviously does not -yet- have the credentials for said network

2. in the phone app, you hit "Network distribution" and enter the desired wifi SSID and password

3. "magic happens": somehow the IP address of the device running the app is communicated to the RDxxxx wifi module - it appears as the "Server IP"
  - the RDxxxx wifi module is NOT actually connected to the wifi network yet

4. the RDxxxx wifi module proceeds to "connecting to wifi" mode, and the app proceeds to presumably send over the wifi creds to the RDxxxx wifi module, which then joins the wifi network, acquires an IP address, and so on

I'm puzzled as to how step 3 works: what is the app doing to communicate with an unauthenticated nearby device?

BTW, if you're wondering how to reset the wifi module: during the module initialisation at boot, you'll see a Reset and X "buttons" on screen; hit left arrow on the PSU keypad to select Reset and Enter to actually reset it.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:55:25 am by bdlow »

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: July 05, 2022, 10:59:41 am »
3. "magic happens": somehow the IP address of the device running the app is communicated to the RDxxxx wifi module - it appears as the "Server IP"
  - the RDxxxx wifi module is NOT actually connected to the wifi network yet

The RD60xx and the mobile app use the ESPTOUCH protocol. The RD60xx starts listening to the network (in promiscuous mode) for information that the mobile app sends out over the network. Once the RD60xx has read that information, it will show the IP address read on screen.

See the "RD60xx Custom Firmware Reference" document to be found elsewhere on this forum.

The following users thanked this post: bdlow

Offline Oleksii

• Contributor
« Reply #1009 on: July 05, 2022, 11:18:42 am »
I'm puzzled as to how step 3 works: what is the app doing to communicate with an unauthenticated nearby device?

Process of configuration is described on "RIDEN-RD…RD60xx Custom Firmware Reference.pdf" page 65
Initial configuration is possible to do only (IMO) on mobile. I could not perform it using PC software, as it may depend on WiFi chip options. You must use Wifi on PC to try the configuration. Ethernet connections will not work.
It uses this feature https://www.espressif.com/en/products/software/esp-touch/overview
It needs that RD PS to remember SSID, password and IP of smartphone with app to connect to. IP then can be manually changed in settings on custom firmware.
When RD is connected to wifi, you can ping it.
When app on smartphone is started, it listens for port 8080, waits that RD connects to this port.
When RD has connected to the port, you should press CONNECT button in the app. If it's successfull, the button name changed to DISCONNECT and not you can drive you RD in the app.
If RD did not connect to the app, then the button does not change its name to DISCONNECT, although by a second there is a false message "Connected to slave address:01". So, key point here is to see/get DISCONNECT button name.
If RD is started without success connection to the app, it will not re-try to do that later.

I've played with this app, it works partially with glitches. It just proves that this protocol is used. You still must use original RD app to be able to configure settings on RD.
https://github.com/EspressifApp/EsptouchForAndroid/releases/tag/v2.0.0/esptouch-v2.0.0.apk

Interesting notes:
on start RD was able to connect to app's port 8080, then if the connection was interrupted (smartphone reboot etc) it will be retrying to connect each 100ms.
One more important thing!!!:
RD seems as remembering BSID (hardware MAC of SSID) to initialized to!!! So, if you will use another AP with the same SSID/password - it will reject to connect to it!!!
I managed to customize the BSID on my AP (Mikrotik) to make connection to another AP possible. I created virtual SSID on new AP using original BSID as I had it written down.

The following users thanked this post: bdlow

Offline bdlow

« Reply #1010 on: July 05, 2022, 11:26:44 am »
> The RD60xx and the mobile app use the ESPTOUCH protocol. ...

That's what I was looking for!

Just had a quick read of this: https://www.espressif.com/sites/default/files/documentation/esp-touch_user_guide_en.pdf
"With the ESP-TOUCH communication protocol, a device with Wi-Fi access capabilities, such as a smartphone, can send a series of UDP packets to
the Wi-Fi Access Point (AP), encoding the SSID and password into the Length field of each of these UDP packets. The device can then reach the UDP packets, obtaining and parsing out the required information"

So your wifi SSID and password are sent in essentially cleartext to any device that happens to be listening at the time. I guess the Riden module sends the IP first, before sending the SSID details, as a sort of "PIN" to verify that the same person is in control of the PSU and the phone app...

On the one hand I have to applaud the ingenuity of the Espressif developers... and this also reminds me why it's a good idea to have a separate isolated SSID for things like this.

> RD seems as remembering BSID (hardware MAC of SSID) to initialized to!!! So, if you will use another AP with the same SSID/password - it will reject to connect to it!!!

I also saw this exact behaviour: I changed my AP but reconfigured the same SSID and password, and had a devil of a time trying to figure out why the Riden wouldn't re-connect!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:30:10 am by bdlow »

Offline ShayBox

• Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: July 15, 2022, 10:16:58 pm »
You can also flash the wireless module with esphome or esplink, here's my esphome config

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: July 16, 2022, 02:26:10 am »
Some updates...
https://mega.nz/file/9wF2jKJT#uQmDqFnYmWliatA8vRda-aAL_zs51m71QMe2SMzDqNc

RD60062_V1.38.1h.bin (RD6006)
RD60065_V1.41.1h.bin (RD6006P)
RD60121_V1.34.1h.bin (RD6012)
RD60181_V1.36.1h.bin (RD6018)

* Bug fixes
... Fixed a bug with incorrect reading screenshots for ST7789 displays.
... RD60065: Fixed flickering of OPP value
... RD60065: The "Min Input" parameter, from the keyboard it was possible to set a value up to 720V.
... RD60065: The "CutOff current", from the keyboard it was possible to set a value up to 61000mA.
... RD60065: Some fixes from V1.41 (1.Optimize the small spike at the moment of opening the output.)
... I remade the timer, now it is based on RTC (previously used Systick timer).

* Interface
+ When the output is turned off, the timer will be stopped, and its value will still be displayed until pressing any key (except ON/OFF).

* меню "--- Power Settings ---" ("--- Настройки питания ---")
+ New option "Boot KeyLock"; Activates keypad LOCK at startup.
+ New option "Boot MemCell"; Activates specified memory cell at startup. (Note: Cell "M0" - is the last entered values).

* меню "--- Display ---" ("--- Дисплей ---")
+ New option "Standby Clock"; Displays the clock in standby mode.

Offline sonic

• Regular Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #1013 on: July 16, 2022, 02:44:17 am »

Thanks a lot!

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft, trmntr

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1014 on: July 20, 2022, 08:20:29 pm »
Some updates...
https://mega.nz/file/9wF2jKJT#uQmDqFnYmWliatA8vRda-aAL_zs51m71QMe2SMzDqNc
* Bug fixes
... Fixed a bug with incorrect reading screenshots for ST7789 displays.
... RD60065: Fixed flickering of OPP value
... RD60065: The "Min Input" parameter, from the keyboard it was possible to set a value up to 720V.
... RD60065: The "CutOff current", from the keyboard it was possible to set a value up to 61000mA.
... RD60065: Some fixes from V1.41 (1.Optimize the small spike at the moment of opening the output.)
... I remade the timer, now it is based on RTC (previously used Systick timer).

* Interface
+ When the output is turned off, the timer will be stopped, and its value will still be displayed until pressing any key (except ON/OFF).

* меню "--- Power Settings ---" ("--- Настройки питания ---")
+ New option "Boot MemCell"; Activates specified memory cell at startup. (Note: Cell "M0" - is the last entered values).

* меню "--- Display ---" ("--- Дисплей ---")
+ New option "Standby Clock"; Displays the clock in standby mode.

Hello,
You have made a very great update ! Thank you!  :-+
I have checked about everything, and all is working for me, no more drift 8)

The Standby clock is very visible  :)

Now, I don't find anything to add in this little powerfull powersupply I use a lot more than my Siglent SPD3303X-E  ;D
Maybe a backup/restore of settings ? For now, I have made screenshots of all my settings with the RDScreenDumper utility :-+
Also I have put a startup logo, it shows it with a good quality but I have to lower a lot the picture gamma (no problem for that, the screen seems to be too bright).

Here are some photos:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:32:19 pm by ceut »

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft, Oleksii

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1015 on: July 22, 2022, 04:16:46 am »
The wifi modules for the RuiDeng Riden RDxxxx series power supplies seem to have the same wifi setup process, involving the phone app providing the desired wifi details to the RDxxxx wifi module. I'm really puzzled as to how this mechanism works; I was expecting it to create a temporary SSID or similar, but it doesn't seem to do that. How does it work?
RDFlasher can now be used for easy wifi configuration in custom firmware...
1. Disable WIFI (set option "UART Interface" to "OFF")
2. Disable OUTPUT
3. In RDFlasher press "Connect" (ALT + 'D')
4. In RDFlasher press "Config WIFI" (ALT + 'W')
5. Enter SSID, Password, and server IP (your phone (can see in app) or PC (value entered by default)).
6. Press "Apply"
7. If WIFI module successfully will connect to AP you will see success message.

Some notes for PC, in case your RD60xxx cannot connect to PC:
If you have several network adapters (including virtual ones (VMware, ETC)), then the PC utility sometimes takes the wrong IP address (I guess the last device from the priority list).
That was in my case, on a desktop PC with Windows 7, connected to the router with a cable.

So I have to change the priority order of network connections:
Open the "Start" menu
In the search, enter (without quotes): "View Network Connections" (or the control panel: network connections)
Press the Alt key in keyboard and click Advanced -> Advanced Settings.
Here you will see your connections, move down the right one.

Read more here:
How to change the network connection priority in Windows 7.
Change Network Connection Priority in Windows 10.
How to change the network adapter priority in Windows 11

To display all adapters and IP addresses,
In the Command Prompt or PowerShell execute: ipconfig /all
The last IPv4-address from the list will be used by PC software.
Therefore, if this is not the adapter that is connected to your network, then the PC software will expect the connection from wrong network.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:12:29 am by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: sonic, Mr.B, Oleksii

Offline Oleksii

• Contributor
« Reply #1016 on: July 22, 2022, 09:27:25 am »
5. Enter SSID, Password, and server IP (your phone (can see in app) or PC (value entered by default)).
I remember that previously my RD6006P (with your awesome custom firmware) also remembered BSID during "pairing" with wifi AP and later it could connect only to the same BSID AP.

With this new procedure, how the BSID handled? Is it still remembered somewhere in RD6006P?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1017 on: July 22, 2022, 12:14:07 pm »
I remember that previously my RD6006P (with your awesome custom firmware) also remembered BSID during "pairing" with wifi AP and later it could connect only to the same BSID AP.

With this new procedure, how the BSID handled? Is it still remembered somewhere in RD6006P?
RD60xxx stores only IP address, all other things are stored and processed inside WIFI module.
and used as:
  UART1_printf("AT+CIPSTART=\"TCP\",\"%s\",8080\r\n", g_ServerIP);

RDFlasher sends SSID and password, what sends AT command to WIFI module:
  UART1_printf("AT+CWJAP_DEF=\"%s\",\"%s\"\r\n", ssid, pass);

actually CWJAP_DEF supports setting for bssid, but it is not required.
 AT+CWJAP_DEF=<ssid>, <pwd>[, <bssid>]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 12:16:29 pm by UniSoft »

Offline killingtime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1018 on: July 23, 2022, 12:13:52 am »
How do you program the parameters of the source supply into a Riden, if you're using someting less than the suggested 65V 400W PSU?

If someone used a 12v 1A supply for instance, would the Riden still let you dial in a 60v output?

Pulling more than 4A at 3v would overload the source 12W PSU, ignoring losses in the Riden.

I don't see anything in the manual for setting source paramters, so do you just have do the mental maths each time?

Thanks.

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1019 on: July 23, 2022, 12:23:33 am »
I have just tried the Wifi module that was in the box I never use before  :-DD

No problem at all: it works great for me.
Here are my steps
>Wifi settings + IP of my "server" computer inside the RDFlasher 
>Then Activate Wifi in "Communication>Wifi" and "Skip keys lock"
>Then launch version 1.014 of "RidenPowerSupply.exe" and go to Wifi tab.
>Restart the RD6006P: all 3 [OK] are green :-+
>You will some message of IP adress of the Wifi module; Click on "Connect"

I can control my RD6006P with computer or on it, it is great and again a new feature !  8)

Moreover the computer controls seem to have no input lag at all :-+

Offline sonic

• Regular Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #1020 on: July 23, 2022, 12:27:42 am »
If someone used a 12v 1A supply for instance, would the Riden still let you dial in a 60v output?

No. Maximum: input voltage minus some drop.

Pulling more than 4A at 3v would overload the source 12W PSU, ignoring losses in the Riden.

I don't see anything in the manual for setting source paramters, so do you just have do the mental maths each time?

You can set "Max Power", see page 30 of RD60xx Custom Firmware Reference.pdf
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 12:43:28 am by sonic »

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: July 23, 2022, 12:40:46 am »
1) How do you program the parameters of the source supply into a Riden, if you're using someting less than the suggested 65V 400W PSU?

2) If someone used a 12v 1A supply for instance, would the Riden still let you dial in a 60v output?

3) Pulling more than 4A at 3v would overload the source 12W PSU, ignoring losses in the Riden.

Thanks.

Ruideng gives a full and detailled information in their shop here:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002185722889.html?spm=a2g0o.search0304.0.0.57b75486bMSbUO&algo_pvid=cf377095-290b-4567-b865-8894c9ebbf9c&algo_exp_id=cf377095-290b-4567-b865-8894c9ebbf9c-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000021017285460%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21EUR%21%2179.23%21%21%21%21%21%402100bde716585360165993214ebfa6%2112000021017285460%21sea

From this link:
1) => it's a power supply module which accepts everything between the values 7-70.00V (why programming this ?)
2) => its a BUCK mode power supply.
3) => it is possible to have nearly 4A at 3V with a (good) 12V/1A source powersupply (>90% efficiency of this great module).

I use personnaly an Ubiquity PoE 50V/60W powersupply with more than 85% of efficiency.
(tested until 95Woutput/106W input on the 240V socket with my ET5410 DC Load without any problem, after the internal overload protection kicks in because the voltage drops)
Yes it is strange, but I don't need big current at high voltage, and with about 90W all is OK for me at low voltage I use most of time.
And this is a small isolated unit.
(Photo of this little grey box powersupply with blue led here)

I have a Siglent nearby if need of more power.

The only thing I have set is the power limit at 90W to not overload my Ubiquity PoE PSU.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 12:56:44 am by ceut »

Offline killingtime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1022 on: July 23, 2022, 10:36:14 am »
Ah, OK. I missed that. Thanks.

Offline ialbert

« Reply #1023 on: August 01, 2022, 11:22:58 am »
Hi,

awesome update. i love the standby clock. Thank You

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: August 01, 2022, 08:34:23 pm »
THANKS UNISOFT, the custom firmware it's awesome and a really good update. THANKS a lot!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf