Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 375609 times)

Online tatel

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #1075 on: January 13, 2023, 05:21:02 pm »
This is on the way:

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005001304178027.html

Also purchased a 48V, 400W NVVV chinese SMPS. Perhaps I will be able to get 48V 5A out of that WZ5005 thing. That would be nice. I want it for motors, etc. Hopefully it will be good enough for that.

Quite similar models with different brands, so it seems that yes, there are cheaper clones proliferating right now. However I don't know about the quality.

Here's a video from some guy that uses it with a boost converter and an ATX supply, but not really much about testing

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: January 13, 2023, 08:34:05 pm »
I've purchased an XY6008 myself, someone has to be the guinea pig!

I went more mainstream for the PSU and bought a Meanwell 400W 48V to power it.

If anyone is interested in the performance of this unit, let me know what you'd like tested. I have a scope and all here, so can do a reasonable amount of testing.

Should be up and running in a month.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:45:05 pm by SpottedDick »

Online tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: January 13, 2023, 10:40:02 pm »

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1078 on: January 14, 2023, 11:21:16 am »
I'll get the exact product number and post it here shortly, I know it's an LED PSU.

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1079 on: January 14, 2023, 12:04:06 pm »
It's:
ERPF-400-48

It's listed as an LED supply, but it's CV, so I don't see an issue?

It was also cheaper than the MW knock offs

Online tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: January 14, 2023, 03:19:52 pm »
OK, I see it now on DigiKey. Nice look.

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #1081 on: January 26, 2023, 04:40:37 pm »
Some eBay seller in the UK has the 6018 with WiFi for £43 posted.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204193725793

I bought one and it is legit. 50% off from getting it on AliExpress.
Does anyone know of any alternative PSUs that will fit in the case that I can get locally?

Don't fancy waiting until early March to get one from China.
Can get the case for a few quid more on eBay UK here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275635934721

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1082 on: January 26, 2023, 05:04:45 pm »
£53 now!

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1084 on: January 26, 2023, 05:09:47 pm »
Nope! UK price.

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #1085 on: January 26, 2023, 09:15:35 pm »
Nope! UK price.

Still £43 for me. Ill get one for you and send it to ya for £52.95  :-DD

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1086 on: January 26, 2023, 10:40:41 pm »
Well I've had a nap since I posted that last message and can now confirm I was clicking the wrong link  :=\

Wish you had of posted this before I bought the XY6008 ;_;

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #1087 on: January 28, 2023, 04:47:41 pm »
I might be able to offer a discounted group buy for the RD6018 with case and PSU, assembled.
Just getting a price from RIDEN. Let me know if you are interested!
I'll be putting them on a pallet with a load of other things so it won't be next week...

Should know price tomorrow.

Offline mbrennwa

« Reply #1088 on: January 29, 2023, 02:40:17 pm »
I am using the RIDEN 6006(P) and 6012(P) for curve tracing. They work great, but the overvoltage and overcurrent protection (OVP / OCP) is a bit inconvenient. Once the OCP limit is reached, the RIDEN units turn off their output, which means the curve tracing cannot proceed. I'd prefer to keep the outputs enabled and just get a "CC" reading, so the curve tracer software knows to go back and proceed with readings at lower output currents.

Is there a way to disable the OCP (and OVP)?

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #1089 on: January 29, 2023, 03:35:36 pm »
I might be able to offer a discounted group buy for the RD6018 with case and PSU, assembled.
Just getting a price from RIDEN. Let me know if you are interested!
I'll be putting them on a pallet with a load of other things so it won't be next week...

Should know price tomorrow.

Looking at £180 plus postage. Includes a fully assembled RD6018 with 1080w PSU and Case.
UK £10, Europe £12.50-18.50

They are £210 from AliExpress. Probably be selling them on my eBay store for £229
Might be getting a few of the RD6024, RD6012 and RD6006 in stock also.

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1090 on: January 30, 2023, 04:46:09 am »
I am using the RIDEN 6006(P) and 6012(P) for curve tracing. They work great, but the overvoltage and overcurrent protection (OVP / OCP) is a bit inconvenient. Once the OCP limit is reached, the RIDEN units turn off their output, which means the curve tracing cannot proceed. I'd prefer to keep the outputs enabled and just get a "CC" reading, so the curve tracer software knows to go back and proceed with readings at lower output currents.

Is there a way to disable the OCP (and OVP)?

Setting OCP and OVP to their maximums should be sufficient, surely? A unconstrained buck (and particularly a boost) DC-DC converter is a dangerous thing. Worst case it could destroy itself, whatever is powering it, and whatever it was meant to be powering! I'm working with an OnSemi ncv81599 buck/boost converter chip. It has two current sensing paths on input, one on the output side, and even measures reverse current on the output. That happens under USB PD when the sink has a large capacitance across Vbus and the sink decides to change the PD contract from 20 Volts down to 5 Volts (or even 3.3 Volts), for example. That capacitance will then try to drive current back into the ncv81599. When any of the current measurements breach their thresholds, that chip has one of two strategies: it can current limit or just turn off (latch) requiring a reset or power cycle to restart. There is _no_ setting to turn any of those current sensing mechanisms off.
BTW I have a RD6018 and RD6006P and they are really useful IMO, no complaints. They are even better with Unisoft's firmware.

Offline mbrennwa

« Reply #1091 on: January 30, 2023, 10:52:19 am »
Setting OCP and OVP to their maximums should be sufficient, surely?

That's what I thought, too. I programmed the curve tracer software such that the OCP is set to the max. value (12 A with the 6012P). Here's what happens:
  • If the current set value (not the OCP value) is set to something lower than 12 A, the 6012P unit will correctly return a "CC" reading if the curve tracer software runs into the set current limit. The output of the PSU will remain on. This is the desired behaviour.
  • If the current set value is set to 12 A and the current rises up to 12 A, the OCP function will turn off the output because the OCP limit was reached. The PSU will also not return a "CC" reading. In other words, the OCP takes precedence over the current set value, which may make sense in (most) situations. However, this OCP behaviour is undesired for curve tracing (where the current must be limited according to the current set value, resulting in a "CC" reading and leaving the output turned on).
I hope this explains why I want to disable the OCP function.

Note that I am not asking to run the PSU at currents above the max. current spec, as the current will be limited by the current set value, which cannot be higher than the max. current spec. I have never experienced another programmable power supply where the OCP was getting in the way with running the PSU at it's maximum current.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: January 30, 2023, 04:56:32 pm »
That's what I thought, too. I programmed the curve tracer software such that the OCP is set to the max. value (12 A with the 6012P). Here's what happens:
  • If the current set value (not the OCP value) is set to something lower than 12 A, the 6012P unit will correctly return a "CC" reading if the curve tracer software runs into the set current limit. The output of the PSU will remain on. This is the desired behaviour.
  • If the current set value is set to 12 A and the current rises up to 12 A, the OCP function will turn off the output because the OCP limit was reached. The PSU will also not return a "CC" reading. In other words, the OCP takes precedence over the current set value, which may make sense in (most) situations. However, this OCP behaviour is undesired for curve tracing (where the current must be limited according to the current set value, resulting in a "CC" reading and leaving the output turned on).
I hope this explains why I want to disable the OCP function.
I am not really understand what do you want...
Setting I-SET less than OCP will give you what you want.
Your device RD6012P allows you to set I-SET to maximum 12.1A but OCP to 12.2A (this is equal to disable OCP)

also, take a look here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply/msg3400498/#msg3400498
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 05:09:46 pm by UniSoft »

Offline mbrennwa

« Reply #1093 on: January 31, 2023, 11:54:45 am »
I am not really understand what do you want...

As I wrote, I want do disable the OCP function in order to aviod the PSU outputs to turn off.

Setting I-SET less than OCP will give you what you want.
Your device RD6012P allows you to set I-SET to maximum 12.1A but OCP to 12.2A (this is equal to disable OCP)

also, take a look here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply/msg3400498/#msg3400498

Hmm, interesting. This does not seem to work with my 6012P. The max OCP limit I can set is 12.0 A, and the same value of the I-SET value. Since the OCP takes precedence over the I-SET, the outputs are turned off if the current reaches 12.0 A. This is undesired.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1094 on: January 31, 2023, 01:33:09 pm »
This does not seem to work with my 6012P. The max OCP limit I can set is 12.0 A, and the same value of the I-SET value. Since the OCP takes precedence over the I-SET, the outputs are turned off if the current reaches 12.0 A. This is undesired.
Then set I-SET less than 12.0A (ex. 11.9A)... What is the problem?
I don't have RD6012P, but all other models working the same. May be some bug in firmware...

Offline mbrennwa

« Reply #1095 on: January 31, 2023, 02:37:26 pm »
I don't have RD6012P, but all other models working the same. May be some bug in firmware...

This would need some sort of a workaround in the driver code for the curvetracer software. Things would be so much easier and cleaner if the OCP could just be disabled.

Are you saying that it's not possible to disable the OCP function?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: January 31, 2023, 03:13:48 pm »
This would need some sort of a workaround in the driver code for the curvetracer software.
what is curvetracer software?

There is no other way to disable OCP... (Only by setting it to the higher value than I-SET)

device itself allows to set OCP to 12.2A (can see in screenshot)

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1097 on: January 31, 2023, 03:49:17 pm »

This would need some sort of a workaround in the driver code for the curvetracer software. Things would be so much easier and cleaner if the OCP could just be disabled.

I don't know about the internals of the RD60ii[p] supplies but back to the NCV81599's two current monitoring paths for input current. One is called "external" and could be effectively bypassed by  a resistor value setting the limit point ridiculously high. The other is called "internal" and can only be set to a maximum value. Oh, another way to defeat current limiting would be to short out the shunt resistors (but that chip still does temperature monitoring on itself, which should trip in a "run-away").

Wearing a different hat, I write software tools for controlling hardware and put "all care, no responsibility" open source licenses on them. I would feel uneasy (i.e. legally vulnerable) if some of those tools purposely turned off safety mechanisms. And I'm not sure "a user asked me to" would be a great defence if I was called to account.

To put it more bluntly, what you are asking for is _not_ a good idea IMO. What exactly would you expect a power supply to do when its OCP (over-current protection) was turned off and the former threshold was exceeded? One thought that comes to mind is a humorous assembly instruction: "Halt and catch fire"! [Another amusing instruction is "comes from" to pair with "goto".]

Offline scarman20

« Reply #1098 on: February 01, 2023, 01:23:55 am »
If anyone wants to help, then I started writing my own software. This is what we have now. The functionality is still minimal, but it will expand.
Yes, at the moment I am interested in the opinion of users.
1. Are the UI controls too large?
2. What about the position of UI controls?
For each indicator, you can set custom colors through the context menu (separately for each skin).
In the settings panels, the numbers can be changed both from the keyboard and the mouse wheel. Buttons also appear at the top or bottom of the number, when you hover the cursor.
Maybe someone else has any ideas, suggestions, advice?

Note! required the latest firmware 'p'
Do not use function to write logo! (nothing really happens, just a logo will be a little bit corrupted (contains artifacts), due to bug in firmware, will be fixed in next firmware).
Option "Do not Lock the keypad" will not work as well, it will be added in the next firmware.
https://mega.nz/file/MCpxhAoI#ptYnxzgQn0PcTfYmkzX38phEF1lkY_uRZjCrMXfaPyE

Hello, can you reupload this app? Link is removed. I need a simple PC application for RD6018 that only shows DC and Current in real time. There may even be a screenshot of Riden just to show it in real time on the computer. Original app for Windows is ugly :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:39:33 am by scarman20 »

Offline mbrennwa

« Reply #1099 on: February 02, 2023, 08:00:13 am »
This would need some sort of a workaround in the driver code for the curvetracer software.
what is curvetracer software?
PyPSUcurvetrace. See here:
https://github.com/mbrennwa/PyPSUcurvetrace

There is no other way to disable OCP... (Only by setting it to the higher value than I-SET)
As I explained before, this is not what I am looking for. I need to disable OCP such that it does not turn off the PSU outputs even if I-SET is configured to the max value. Since this is not an issue with all other PSU units I have used so far, I'd say this is a design quirk with the Riden PSUs.

I don't know about the internals of the RD60ii[p] supplies but back to the NCV81599's two current monitoring paths for input current. One is called "external" and could be effectively bypassed by  a resistor value setting the limit point ridiculously high.
Sure, I could mess with the hardware of my Riden PSU units, but that's not the way to go. I want the curvetracer software to work out of the box with the Riden PSUs for other people, too.

...What exactly would you expect a power supply to do when its OCP (over-current protection) was turned off and the former threshold was exceeded?
If that were the case, I'd expect the PSU to blow up.

However, as explained above, the I-SET value will always be within the power limits of the PSU unit, so the current will always be limited to a safe value by the I-SET configuration. The difference with the OCP function is that the I-SET limit will not turn off the PSU outputs, wheres the OCP will. The way I see it is that the OCP function is to protect the stuff that is connected to the PSU outputs, not to protect the PSU itself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf