Author Topic: Best USB stick/device as Spectrum Analyzer for <= US$ 500  (Read 47245 times)

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best USB stick/device as Spectrum Analyzer for <= US$ 500
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2015, 10:16:11 am »
The measurement bandwidth of the CRTU is limited by the IF bandwidth (~8MHz centered around 10.7MHz), and then further limited by the Digital Down-Converter ASIC (the only ASIC in the whole thing, the rest are mostly off-the-shelf FPGAs and DSPs, of course with application-specific bitstreams/firmware). I haven't yet figured out the maximum output rate of the DDC, but I think it's not much more than 4 MS/s (i.e. 4MHz since it's I/Q). RBW max. is 1MHz.

The Windows software is very specific to the GSM needs. It makes use of the integrated signalling units (DSP+FPGA+microprocessor), and with reasonable effort (once you understand the software design, and maybe have the chance to look at a few samples) it's possible to build dedicated GSM tests - included corner cases like "there's three cells, one of them is losing signal power, so the phone attempts to switch over to the next-strongest, but it refuses with a specific reason, so the phone is supposed to try the third one" etc. (You actually need multiple CRTUs for most of these scenarios).

The Windows part unfortunately doesn't do any of the fancy RF things. It can mostly tune to a frequency for each of the 2 RX and 2 TX channels, set/measure power, and that's it. (And then of course there's all the GSM-specific stuff on top of it).

The DOS-based software (actually 32-bit), which is mostly there for servicing the unit (I think it's mostly a "free" leftover due to the CMU200-based design), however is written in a very modular way, with different "Function Groups" that are loaded at runtime, and is scriptable via GPIB and serial port (and apparently network, in more recent versions). For further processing, you can use the IF (or I/Q if you have the option installed), but again it's limited by the ~8MHz IF bandwidth. I used SignalVu on my scope (via the IF output), and it worked reasonably well.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2015, 04:24:29 pm »
There's quite a lot of information on how these units work available in the Service Manual (I can see if I find a link).

Not sure why you put spectrum analyzer in quotas, as the CRTU doesn't work any different than most newer standalone SAs. The platform the CRTU and CMU200 is built on is the same platform that R&S had built their previous generation of mid-range and high-end standalone SAs. We're also not talking about cheap basic GSM testers here, a CRTU with a few options did cost in excess of $100k.

Really, get over yourself. It' has already become obvious that anything that performs worse than a HP 856x is too inferior for you to just even look at and therefore must be crap. Don't worry, I get that.

Read what I said again... I warned that the R&S CMU200 and the CRTU are probably going to show very limited spurious free dynamic range. So if someone buys one of these and tries to do some basic linearity or spurious checking then these analysers may prove to be much, much worse than a conventional mid range spectrum analyser. Even compared to an oldschool midrange analyser from 30 years ago that fw people would want and can be purchased for sub $200.

The platform the CRTU and CMU200 is built on is the same platform that R&S had built their previous generation of mid-range and high-end standalone SAs. We're also not talking about cheap basic GSM testers here, a CRTU with a few options did cost in excess of $100k.

I doubt that the RF platform/section is the same as a conventional high end analyser. I think you need to realise that 'cost' does not always guarantee that a test set will have a spectrum analyser in it with better than 'ropey' spurious free dynamic range. Even if it costs $250k new, let alone $100k.

But maybe you know something I don't... Can you share your knowledge and tell me the basic frequency plan of the CMU200 RF section. I assume you know this because you own one and you made the platform claims above and have access to the service manual.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:33:14 pm by G0HZU »

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2015, 06:10:34 pm »
Here's the service manual for the CMU200:
https://www.ntecusa.com/docs/RS_CMU200_CMU300_other.pdf

I also have the service manual for the CRTU-RU, but the RF part (and likely a lot more) is identical.

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2015, 02:27:22 am »
"On the receiver side (RX), the RF signal is fed in at the SMA connector RFRX1 (bottom of module) of the RXTX BOARD1 which is provided by the RF FRONTEND.

On the RXTX BOARD1, this signal is taken via a switchable attenuator with fine stepping and large attenuation range in order to match the level according to the level applied.

Subsequently, this signal is converted to an IF frequency of 10.7 MHz by means of triple signal conversion (IF1, IF2, IF3) and several filter and amplifier stages and provided at the MMCX connector IF3RX1 (top of module) for the DIGITAL BOARD.
This procedure is necessary to achieve a high image-frequency rejection and a high dynamic range with a simultaneously high intermodulation suppression. For the receiver side, an extra LO1RX (local oscillator) is provided with a large tuning range and a very fine frequency resolution used for setting the receive frequency, an LO2 fixed-frequency oscillator shared with the transmitter and an extra LO3RX with a very small tuning range.

All LOs are synchronized by the MMCX connector 110.8 MHz at the bottom of the module with the reference frequency from the REFERENCE BOARD."

-Synchronized triple conversion to enhance image (spurious) rejection, this could be a problem for using the CMU as a general purpose wide band spectrum analyzer. Typically dedicated spectrum analyzers have a YIG filter or similar device to improve image (spurious) rejection. For general RF and microwave work, it is extremely important to know if what one is viewing is real or not.

*Now I'm curious to see what is actually inside the RF front end box.

The other item that does does not impress me too much is the system package layout. All that noisy front panel digital stuff including the hard drive is directly next to the RF input section. Shielding might help, but the better way is to simply not have that stuff any where near the sensitive RF front end.

It is clear this device has rather powerful computer driven test system capabilities. Kinda like a computer driven RF test system in a single box.

CMU-200 ad sheet:
http://www.upc.edu/sct/documents_equipament/d_175_id-448.pdf
CMU-300 ad sheet:
https://d3fdwrtpsinh7j.cloudfront.net/Docs/datasheet/12350.pdf

Inherent spurious response:
<-50 dB
Low distortion mode, 20 MHz to 2200 MHz, except 1816.115 MHz

Inherent harmonics:
(f0 =50MHz to 2200MHz, upto 7GHz)
RF1, RF2, RF4IN: <-30 dB
RF4IN: <-20 dB

Bernice

Here's the service manual for the CMU200:
https://www.ntecusa.com/docs/RS_CMU200_CMU300_other.pdf

I also have the service manual for the CRTU-RU, but the RF part (and likely a lot more) is identical.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:30:28 am by Rupunzell »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2015, 10:54:07 am »
Read what I said again... I warned that the R&S CMU200 and the CRTU are probably going to show very limited spurious free dynamic range. So if someone buys one of these and tries to do some basic linearity or spurious checking then these analysers may prove to be much, much worse than a conventional mid range spectrum analyser.

I suggest you read again what I wrote. The CRTU as suggested as an alternative to the various USB TV tuners and USB analyzers, which is what the OP was asking, remember?

We know you prefer gold-plated solutions, but I think you need a thorough reality check and realize that not everyone needs a high end SA to solve a problem, and that every day engineers have no problems getting work done with devices that I'm sure wouldn't get your blessing.

Again, this was about using USB TV tuners as SAs, remember? And I bet that most of these USB devices will perform worse than a CRTU.

Even compared to an oldschool midrange analyser from 30 years ago that fw people would want and can be purchased for sub $200.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless you're really lucky then I doubt you will find anything in the sub $200 class that offers better specs in terms of linearity, spurs or frequency stability than the CRTU, so I'm really curious what devices that might be as I'm sure you can name several in an instant.

The platform the CRTU and CMU200 is built on is the same platform that R&S had built their previous generation of mid-range and high-end standalone SAs. We're also not talking about cheap basic GSM testers here, a CRTU with a few options did cost in excess of $100k.

I doubt that the RF platform/section is the same as a conventional high end analyser.

Reading comprehension is obviously not your strongest point, as I said "platform" not "RF platform". I never suggested that the RF section of a R&S high end lab SA would be the same as the one in the CRTU, that's your imagination. But the platform (i.e. chassis, controllers, architecture etc) *is* the same between CRTU and older standalone SAs like the FSU.

I think you need to realise that 'cost' does not always guarantee that a test set will have a spectrum analyser in it with better than 'ropey' spurious free dynamic range. Even if it costs $250k new, let alone $100k.

I never said that cost gurantees good performance. The reason I meantioned the price is because you seem to believe (reflected in your attitude) that everything that is used for cell phone testing must have cheap-ass components in it to produce a cheap tester, which is nonsense. In fact, these days any lab grade standalone mid-range or high-end SA comes with cell phone/wireless test and measurement applications, simply because this is the largest market for SAs.

But maybe you know something I don't... Can you share your knowledge and tell me the basic frequency plan of the CMU200 RF section. I assume you know this because you own one and you made the platform claims above and have access to the service manual.

Yes, I have one (actually only a CRTU, as the CMU200 has gone), but as my device is registered on my R&S GLORIS account and I got the SM via that account so I'm a bit reluctant to publish large sections of any manual provided there.

However, it seems tmbinc has already provided a link to the CMU200 manual anyways.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:23:37 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2015, 11:08:21 am »
The Windows part unfortunately doesn't do any of the fancy RF things. It can mostly tune to a frequency for each of the 2 RX and 2 TX channels, set/measure power, and that's it. (And then of course there's all the GSM-specific stuff on top of it).

No, it doesn't do anything fancy, but I think the real value is in the Windows drivers, which can control the full capability of the hardware, and which would allow someone to write his own Windows applications.

I agree that the test software itself is worthless, but it could be useful for finding out how to control the hardware in these boxes.

The DOS-based software (actually 32-bit), [...]

That's incorrect. This is plain 16bit MsDOS 6.2 with a proprietary 32bit memory extender (which provides page switching for the 16bit DOS applications).

[...] which is mostly there for servicing the unit (I think it's mostly a "free" leftover due to the CMU200-based design), however is written in a very modular way, with different "Function Groups" that are loaded at runtime, and is scriptable via GPIB and serial port (and apparently network, in more recent versions).

There is no control over the network. The optional LAN ports are merely to provide data streams to the UUT (i.e. cell phone) from an external server, but can not be used for remote controlling the CMU200/CRTU (obviously on the CRTU it can under Windows, but not DOS).

BTW: the CMU300 is actually a CMU200 without the signalling test capability, and was mean as a simple production tester while the CMU200 was more designed for development activities. While the CMU200 was equally useable as production tester as the CMU300, the CMU300 was noticably cheaper. The CMU300 moniker was dropped pretty quickly, and both devices were later marketed under the CMU200 moniker.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:51:49 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:10 am »
The other item that does does not impress me too much is the system package layout. All that noisy front panel digital stuff including the hard drive is directly next to the RF input section. Shielding might help, but the better way is to simply not have that stuff any where near the sensitive RF front end.

I can't see the problem. The FMR (controller PC) is pretty well shielded in these boxes, as are all the modules. The bus that is used to communicate is 16bit ISA (slow 8MHz clock) and serial ports, which aren't as critical in terms of emissions as high speed buses.

The same layout and architecture is also used in the R&S FSU standalone high-end lab SA (up to 67GHz), and despite its higher sensitivity isn't a problem there either.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:11 am »

I can't see the problem. The FMR (controller PC) is pretty well shielded in these boxes, as are all the modules. The bus that is used to communicate is 16bit ISA (slow 8MHz clock) and serial ports, which aren't as critical in terms of emissions as high speed buses.

The same layout and architecture is also used in the R&S FSU standalone high-end lab SA (up to 67GHz), and despite its higher sensitivity isn't a problem there either.
You should know already that for rupunzell&co anything else than old HP boat anchor is not any good.   ::)
And of course they expect that everyone is able to get HP 8560E or similar for less than 100 bucks since they happen to get amazing deal once in century  :P

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2015, 01:21:49 pm »
<-50 dB

Inherent harmonics:

This is what I was worried about.

Anyway, I'd like to add that you don't need a gold plated HP SA, if you can't afford it. Cheap Advantest ones can be had for ~$300-$500 (within the OPs budget).

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2015, 01:34:38 pm »
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with Advantest kit  :-+

That is why R&S partnered with them  ;)

I have several Advantest SA's and I like them all.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »
<-50 dB

Inherent harmonics:

This is what I was worried about.

Yes, I tried to highlight the spurious limitations of these test sets when making comparisons against other conventional spectrum analysers that might be considered as alternatives for the OP. There are various spec limits for -20dBc or -30dBc spurious terms for the CMU200.

At work, the nearest thing I can find to the CMU200 or CRTU is the newer LTE/OFDM '500' version and this also suffers from poor spurious performance. The other comment I would make about it would be that the user interface is very much designed for automated use and the analyser interface is a bit unconventional if you try and use the front panel interface manually. It's very much a softkey/mouse affair and some aspects of the analyser control are very strange if you are used to a conventional analyser. Obviously, the 500 version is staggeringly expensive to buy but my point is that if the CMU200/CRTU has a similar interface then it's worth the OP checking that they would be happy using it.

I thought the whole point of the thread was to discuss good/bad points of analysers within the OP's budget. I'm just offering my professional experience/knowledge/opinion and ultimately, it's up to the OP which analyser to choose.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:55:38 pm by G0HZU »

Offline SArepairman

• Frequent Contributor
  • wannabee bit hunter
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2015, 03:49:28 pm »
a flat wide band noise source can be used to calibrate the SA $$$$$$$$$

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2015, 04:02:57 pm »
Reading comprehension is obviously not your strongest point, as I said "platform" not "RF platform". I never suggested that the RF section of a R&S high end lab SA would be the same as the one in the CRTU, that's your imagination. But the platform (i.e. chassis, controllers, architecture etc) *is* the same between CRTU and older standalone SAs like the FSU.

We're also not talking about cheap basic GSM testers here, a CRTU with a few options did cost in excess of $100k.

But the part of the analyser that severly limits the spurious free dynamic range is the RF/receiver section. The design of the receiver section of these analysers is compromised for various reasons. I'm merely raising this point for the benefit of the OP.

Just because it is in the same type of chassis and has a similar controller (and it cost $100k) does NOTHING for the performance of the RF section. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:07:07 pm by G0HZU »

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 05:51:58 pm »

No, it doesn't do anything fancy, but I think the real value is in the Windows drivers, which can control the full capability of the hardware, and which would allow someone to write his own Windows applications.

I agree that the test software itself is worthless, but it could be useful for finding out how to control the hardware in these boxes.

The DOS-based software (actually 32-bit), [...]

That's incorrect. This is plain 16bit MsDOS 6.2 with a proprietary 32bit memory extender (which provides page switching for the 16bit DOS applications).

[...] which is mostly there for servicing the unit (I think it's mostly a "free" leftover due to the CMU200-based design), however is written in a very modular way, with different "Function Groups" that are loaded at runtime, and is scriptable via GPIB and serial port (and apparently network, in more recent versions).

There is no control over the network. The optional LAN ports are merely to provide data streams to the UUT (i.e. cell phone) from an external server, but can not be used for remote controlling the CMU200/CRTU (obviously on the CRTU it can under Windows, but not DOS).

BTW: the CMU300 is actually a CMU200 without the signalling test capability, and was mean as a simple production tester while the CMU200 was more designed for development activities. While the CMU200 was equally useable as production tester as the CMU300, the CMU300 was noticably cheaper. The CMU300 moniker was dropped pretty quickly, and both devices were later marketed under the CMU200 moniker.

Many thanks for the excellent info you posted already, much appreciated. This info is hard to come by on the net. I am seriously considering buying one of these, but I am hoping you are right and prices will drop even a little lower.
To other posters, I would be excellent if you could also post ebay-links (or other sites) with SA’s actually on sale for low affordable prices (preferably <500€). I have been reading this forum a lot, and been following Ebay (German and Belgium site) for quite some time. So far I did not find anything affordable that goes up to 2GHz and is less than 20 years old. After recommendations here, I have been specifically looking for Advantest, but so far also without luck price wise. Wuerstchenhund posted the in my opinion the best available deal so far, but I am still doubting because of the following reasons:
-   Price is more then 500€
-   Looks a very complex unit for an RF-beginner like my…

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2015, 10:06:17 pm »
At work, the nearest thing I can find to the CMU200 or CRTU is the newer LTE/OFDM '500' version

That would be the CMW500 then, which replaces both the CMU200 and the CRTU product lines.

Obviously, the 500 version is staggeringly expensive to buy but my point is that if the CMU200/CRTU has a similar interface

It doesn't. The CMW Series is Windows only and uses a completely different software than the CRTU and the CMU200, both which are pretty easy to operate when running the DOS-based test applications.

Offline davorinTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2015, 10:20:15 pm »
Wowowowoow....never thought I start a discussion like that....(o;

But great forum and members here to read all their opinions and suggestions :-)

Nevertheless I will start with the SA44B...as I get a new device for Euro 799.....
I've also looked on ebay for along time for real SAs...but they are still too bloody expensive or just too old...

I see the Signalhound as a starting device for me being a hobbyist...well...in the RF area....and maybe this device will help me to understand this new field better...and even build own devices above 1MHz (o;

So far my field is only embedded hardware/software design and FPGA synthesis as well as PCB design....

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2015, 10:26:51 pm »
To other posters, I would be excellent if you could also post ebay-links (or other sites) with SA’s actually on sale for low affordable prices (preferably <500€). I have been reading this forum a lot, and been following Ebay (German and Belgium site) for quite some time. So far I did not find anything affordable that goes up to 2GHz and is less than 20 years old. After recommendations here, I have been specifically looking for Advantest, but so far also without luck price wise.

Don't hold your breath. If that works like similar discussions in the past then you might hear about some incredible deals by certain individuals, but unless you're at the right time at the right place and know the right people, these bargains of cheap high quality test gear for bottom basement prices are unlikely to materialize for the majority of people. That (as you probably found out already) mostly leaves the stuff you find on ebay & co., which in the lower price range usually consists of "untested" (i.e. guaranteed to be defective) or openly defective bangers from 25yrs ago, and even if you spend more you'll mostly get either some 20+yr old standalone SA (often the 75ohms variant) or working but spec-wise not perfect comms testers like the mentioned CRTU.

SAs are pretty expensive, even used ones, and the smaller your budget is the larger the limitations (specs, age and therefore reliability, size, noise, features) you have to accept.

Wuerstchenhund posted the in my opinion the best available deal so far, but I am still doubting because of the following reasons:
-   Price is more then 500€
-   Looks a very complex unit for an RF-beginner like my…

I wouldn't worry about complexity, especially since any other SA will very likely be even more complex. The advantage of newer kit like the CRTU is that it is much more reliable than kit from 25+yrs ago, there's not much that needs adjustment, and thanks to the modular design repairs are pretty easy (and modules can often be found on ebay).

Should you decide for a CRTU then offer EUR500 (and tell him that you know that the market is going to be swamped with these things), which I'm sure a sensible seller would gladly accept, considering that these things will only fall in value.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:31:07 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2015, 11:14:20 pm »
It doesn't. The CMW Series is Windows only and uses a completely different software than the CRTU and the CMU200, both which are pretty easy to operate when running the DOS-based test applications.

Despite the above differences it looks very similar (to me) in terms of the analyser UI. I base this on having spent an hour playing with the 500 and also looking at various screenshots of the other two machines. The soft controls and menus and the analyser display look very similar to an onlooker.

I certainly hope the 200 is nicer to use than the 500. However, I've only used the 500 for about an hour and I only used the analyser UI. It looks (to me at least) to be very similar to the screenshots and links you posted up earlier.

It was a very odd analyser to drive and the whole experience was like using something written in Visual Basic by a comparative novice who probably never planned to use the interface themselves at any point in the future. Hence my concern that the 200 might be similar.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:22:07 pm by G0HZU »

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2015, 05:27:56 am »
"Don't be a hammer that perceives everything is a nail that must be hammered. There are times when a claw-foot pry bar needs to be used to remove the nails revealing what is actually inside."

*This is NOT a contest or competition of what is best, it should be a sharing of knowledge and learning.

These test sets came to being when the communications industry needed a good high speed automated test system to deal with the sheer volume of techno-widgets (cell phones an such) streaming off the production line. These test sets can replace a rack of test gear and the problems related to integrating each instrument in the test rack into a automated test system. Considering these test sets can replace all these individual items of instrumentation makes then a very good value for what they are intended to do.

Once these computer driven test systems are taken out of context or their original intent such as a lab / development / research / home hobby environment, their designed in strengths can become a significant dis-advantage. This does not make these test sets un-useable in these environments, their limitations must be considered and well understood before consideration for making meaningful measurements.

Historically on this web forum there is much prejudice and distain for "old-obsolute and in the way of progress" test gear. Yet there are many historically significant and classic items of instrumentation that is never consider due to their age, lack of computer interface or fashion. These classic pieces of instrumentation can offer many lessons in design and technology and physics... all there for those who are willing to listen, learn of what they have to offer. All this for rather affordable cost.

In the world of digital and computing, faster processing, more memory, the ability to crunch information often means greater measurable functionality and what a computer can achieve. The analog-RF-microwave and physics world does not work this way. Nature is what it is and individuals who endeavor into exploiting nature to create a technical widget is forced to make a compromise deal with this hash reality. This is one of the reasons why good spectrum analyzers and other properly designed and built analog instrumentation holds their value on the used market. Consider why the hp 8566 stayed in production for nearly two decades and continues to hold their value to this day. Then consider why a two decade old computer is not much more than a technical curiosity today.

hp is NOT the only manufacture to make spectrum analyzers, others include Avantest, Anritus, Rohde & Schwarz, Tektronix and others. Historically Systron Donner, Ailtech-Eaton, Polarad, Cushman and others also once made SAs.

Bernice

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:31:35 am by Rupunzell »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2015, 05:41:13 am »

Despite the above differences it looks very similar (to me) in terms of the analyser UI. I base this on having spent an hour playing with the 500 and also looking at various screenshots of the other two machines. The soft controls and menus and the analyser display look very similar to an onlooker.

I have only had the chance to play with a CMW500 once, and that was for a few minutes only, but from a software point of view the CMW500 looked like a much more complex device than either CRTU or CMU200.

I certainly hope the 200 is nicer to use than the 500. However, I've only used the 500 for about an hour and I only used the analyser UI. It looks (to me at least) to be very similar to the screenshots and links you posted up earlier.

The basic control principle has shares some similarities but many functions and menus aren't available on the older devices.

Using a CRTU/CMU200 as a SA (or RF generator, or power meter) is really dead simple, as unlike with other comms testers these functions are kept completely separate from the cell phone testing applications. Even a beginner should not have difficulties to start the SA without reading a manual. I can post some more screenshots if you want.

I also have a lab-grade standalone SA from R&S (FSP7), and while overall its a very nice device, seriously, I wish the UI was more like the CMU/CRTU UI instead of structural mess that it is.

It was a very odd analyser to drive and the whole experience was like using something written in Visual Basic by a comparative novice who probably never planned to use the interface themselves at any point in the future. Hence my concern that the 200 might be similar.

As I said, the basic idea behind the UI is roughly the same, but that's it. CMU200/CRTU are really dead simple.

Can you post some screenshots of the CMW500 interface?

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:40 am »
These test sets came to being when the communications industry needed a good high speed automated test system to deal with the sheer volume of techno-widgets (cell phones an such) streaming off the production line. These test sets can replace a rack of test gear and the problems related to integrating each instrument in the test rack into a automated test system. Considering these test sets can replace all these individual items of instrumentation makes then a very good value for what they are intended to do.

Once these computer driven test systems are taken out of context or their original intent such as a lab / development / research / home hobby environment, their designed in strengths can become a significant dis-advantage.

While as a general rule this is correct, you completely ignore that the CMU200 was actually designed and used as a standalone lab instrument for manual use by a human, not an automated test system. Of course, like other lab test kit intended for manual use (i.e. the HP 8566) it comes with a GPIB port and can be remotely controlled, but that was never the main purpose of the CMU200, which was sitting on a bench and being used by an engineer working on RF designs.

The CRTU (which hardware-wise is mostly the same as the CMU200) actually *was* intended as automated test system, and this was done by adding a Windows 2000 partition which runs a dedicated test environment. However, the CRTU (which is a multi-boot device) comes with the same DOS software as the CMU200, and with that DOS software behaves exactly as a CMU200 (i.e. a standalone lab instrument).

This does not make these test sets un-useable in these environments, their limitations must be considered and well understood before consideration for making meaningful measurements.

True, but that is no different to any other test instrument out there, no matter if automated or manually operated. Every test instrument lies to some extend, and a good engineer takes that into account.

Historically on this web forum there is much prejudice and distain for "old-obsolute and in the way of progress" test gear. Yet there are many historically significant and classic items of instrumentation that is never consider due to their age, lack of computer interface or fashion. These classic pieces of instrumentation can offer many lessons in design and technology and physics... all there for those who are willing to listen, learn of what they have to offer. All this for rather affordable cost.

I disagree. I've been here a while but I have yet to see any "disdain", in fact, there's probably still a strong preference of older, analog instruments over their modern equivalent, probably resulting from the fact that a large part of forum members are hobbyists, and hobbyists tend to have small budgets which usually means older and simpler instruments.

But its true that very old test instruments can often be had for little money these days. However, what you ignore is that in many areas even old high end kit performs worse than modern entry level equipment. In some areas (i.e. scopes) the change in technology is pretty significant, as what once was an instrument which didn't do much else than displaying (parts of) a waveform has now become full signal analyzers. Also, many of the techniques used with old kit no longer make sense or are even counter-productive with modern kit.

You also forget the running costs. It's all fine and dnandy when you can get an old instrument for cheap, however when it's more than two and a half decades old the likelihood of failure increases dramatically, and often repair turns out difficult because parts are no longer available or are generally unobtainium (i.e. some ICs from Tek and HP), with a good chance rendering the investment into a complete loss.

There's also the issue of size, noise and power consumption, all areas where old test instruments don't really shine. Many hobbyists are severely space constrained.

In the world of digital and computing, faster processing, more memory, the ability to crunch information often means greater measurable functionality and what a computer can achieve. The analog-RF-microwave and physics world does not work this way. Nature is what it is and individuals who endeavor into exploiting nature to create a technical widget is forced to make a compromise deal with this hash reality.

Not really, no. Of course the physics behind hasn't changed, but the simple fact remains that analog instruments are severely limited in what you can do with them. For example, have a look at the HP 8566 Series, which by many engineers is considered to be the epithome of analog SAs. But all that huge box does is giving you a display and some markers, but in terms of measurements its pretty dire (even for basic stuff like OBW). You can compensate for some of that by connecting it to a computer, but the box itself is pretty basic. The FFT option is utterly basic, and again pretty useless without an external computer.

It's even worse in other areas, i.e. scopes. Analog scopes give you a waveform display but that's about it. If you're lucky you get some primitive storage capability. Good luck trying to find out what the various frequency components of a square wave signal is, or how a pulse variies over time, or the recurring and intermittend jitter components, or anything else for that matter. The timebase of most analog scopes is pretty inaccurate, and the presence of certain by-products (i.e. noise) might not even be noticed by the operator as it might not even be visible due to insufficient brightness.

You also completely ignore the change of what signals are measured today. In the good old days most hobbyists would probably be playing around with some amplifier, audio equipment, radio kit or other analog stuff. These days it's more like Arduino & Co, fast digital busses, digital transmissions, SDRs and other pretty complex things. Old analog test kit is simply insufficient to extract relevant measurement data from such signal environments.

This is one of the reasons why good spectrum analyzers and other properly designed and built analog instrumentation holds their value on the used market. Consider why the hp 8566 stayed in production for nearly two decades and continues to hold their value to this day.

The reason the 8566 was produced for that long is simply because there was no need for a replacement, Tek was pretty crap in producing SAs, and Tek and HP were essentially the to-go brands for most companies and government agencies around the world. It was also made in the US, which was (and still is) a big thing for the US government, a spender of extraordinary amounts of money for such kit. Also, high end SAs were a pretty small market, and for many manufacturers it simply wasn't worth (or they were simply incapable) to justify investing lots of money into it, as even if they did HP would still outsell them.

That means, without any other major challengers, HP could continue selling the 8566 for a long time without having to invest much money into a product update. It also helped that government customers paid quite a lot of money for this device to be available to them for an extended period of time. HP was merely riding it out.

The other thing is that before the end of the 90's available computing power was limited and simply insuficient to do advanced signal analysis. Only after computing power increased all the functionality that a modern SA is capable of became possible.

The reasons the 8566 is still somewhat expensive as 2nd hand device are that the choice of old lab-grade high-end SAs is pretty limited for the reasons stated before (it was a small market after all), and that it carries the HP label, which is the same reason as to why primitive old Tek DSOs with awful specs still fetch insane prices. The name has a tremendous pull.

However, as good as the 8566 is, these days, if I needed a reasonably priced high-end lab SA I'd rather hunt for a R&S FSIQ than a HP 8566. The FSIQ exists in various variants up to 26GHz and has similarly good specs as the HP, but is faster, smaller, less noisy, comes with a color TFT display instead of a green CRT, and offers tons of analysis capabilities you won't get with the HP. And often enough the 26GHz variant goes for around the same as a 8566B in decent condition. And as a bonus, the FSIQ can emulate various HP SAs including the 8566 on the GPIB bus.

hp is NOT the only manufacture to make spectrum analyzers, others include Avantest, Anritus, Rohde & Schwarz, Tektronix and others. Historically Systron Donner, Ailtech-Eaton, Polarad, Cushman and others also once made SAs.

Older Tek SAs suck (the 492P was the worst SA I've ever had to use). R&S did't produce many SAs before ~1999 and resold Advantek midrange SAs instead. Most of the Anritsu devices offered as "Spectrum Analyzer" on ebay are actually cell phone analyzers, many of which have pretty dire specs (worse than the CMU200/CRTU) while regularly costing much more.

The others mentioned are pretty antique, some even come with valves and mechanical dials. Not sure that is a good investment for a hobby lab, these things are more suitable for collectors.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:23:51 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2015, 12:00:24 pm »
As I said, the basic idea behind the UI is roughly the same, but that's it. CMU200/CRTU are really dead simple.

Can you post some screenshots of the CMW500 interface?

I'll try and post up jpg 'prints' saved to USB when I get a chance. I'm not sure it's relevant to the thread though...  The model we have is a CMW500 and it boots up in WinXP. So my guess is they tried to maintain a similar (looking) spectrum analyser UI for the 500 despite the move to Win XP.

However, I've now got hold of a Tek RSA306 to play with which is going to prove a bit of a distraction.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2015, 01:00:20 pm »
I took a few CMW500 screenshots and here is one of them.

Note:
I've edited the image to remove the SW revision number at the top in case this info is unique to us.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »
I took a few CMW500 screenshots and here is one of them.

Thanks for the screenshot. Looks like what I remember, and I agree that the interface is a bit more complex.

The CMU200/CRTU UI is much simpler. It shares the basic principle (selection of setting category on the right side, individual parameters at the bottom) with the CMW, but the layout is simpler, and different functions are not stacked on each other as on the CMW. Admittedly it's not as comfortable as having separate buttons for each function (Start/Stop/Span/RBW) but it's not rocket science to operate a CMU200/CRTU.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:14:36 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2015, 08:49:33 pm »
The interface on the 500 is quite annoying to use IMO. Also the trace update rate is poor. Maybe I haven't configured it correctly but the UI was clearly not designed by (or for) an RF engineer.

But I doubt anyone is going to buy a 500 cheaply on ebay for many years to come so I guess none of this matters  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf