Author Topic: Saleae prices raised, but coupon code available until Jan 23 for the old  (Read 5542 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would pass this along for anyone who is interested.

They have had to raise prices for business reasons, blog article here:

You can still get the original prices until JAN 23 with the code : SE294F9K

http://saleae.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=604ccbd47e&id=397816097d&e=ead0f38940

I've got nothing but great things to say about these guys, they have always been helpful and responsive whenever I've needed anything, they are excellent imho.

Thanks,

Alan

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: Saleae prices raised, but coupon code available until Jan 23 for the old
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:48:31 am »
I love their stuff too.  I borrow a friends Logic all the time.  But with a new price of $219, I'd be afraid they are pricing themselves too high.  I hope their new pricing works for them...but IMHO they are going the wrong direction.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:57:29 am »
wow 600$ for 16 channels. Cant even debug a 1976 8bit Z80 with that.  I'd be wanting MORE for my 600$. the current beta software for the logic16pro/logic8pro is buggy as bucket of kfc left outside all night.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:11:03 am »
They are also looking for a loan

https://www.saleae.com/investors

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 04:42:45 am »
I am ok with a price increase but I would hope for more capable software. Search. Trigger on data event.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 06:50:07 am »
You can still get the original prices until JAN 23 with the code

Any particular reason why they don't say anywhere what those "original prices" were?  Or do you have to go all the way through the Order process, to find out that tidbit of minor information?  (I stopped short of entering all my credit card info.)

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:03:51 am »
I am ok with a price increase but I would hope for more capable software. Search. Trigger on data event.

You'd have to ask someone like Alan (who's actually using it) what the state of their new software is.  My understanding is that it's still Beta and buggy.  But you'll be happy to know that Search is promised.  Well, Search has been promised for most of the last 6 years, but it's actually in the new Beta software.

OTOH, you can forget about triggering on Data Events, because that requires hardware comparators the devices lack.

"The software can start recording automatically when it finds a simple pattern you specify. You can trigger on digital edges and pulses as well as analog voltages and pulses."

If Data Event triggering is what you need, then this is not the product you're looking for.  However, Saleae reduces the negative impact of that limitation by enabling acquisition of huge amounts of data.  Then using their new Search capability, you can locate the Data Events you're interested in.  With the benefit of having a lot of surrounding context.  Also, being able to revise your Search conditions, and look for something else in the same capture.  There are some definite advantages to that.

But if you're trying to capture some transient event that happens maybe once in an hour, it will be a crap shoot.  Even with gigs of RAM, you can "only" capture minutes of trace.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 07:16:49 am »
I can appreciate the challenge of triggering on data event, asking a bit much for a few hundred $$. Search would be a big, big,  help and does not seem like too outrageous of a dream.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:15 am »
You can still get the original prices until JAN 23 with the code

Any particular reason why they don't say anywhere what those "original prices" were?  Or do you have to go all the way through the Order process, to find out that tidbit of minor information?  (I stopped short of entering all my credit card info.)

I found out the original price was $199, going up to $219.  I had to scour the web to find that info.  Also, orders for these now likely won't be delivered until March.

I located a very good review of the new Pro 8 unit by Steve, over at Big Mess O Wires, which contained a lot of useful insights and observations on the entire product line.  Well worth reading for anyone considering a Saleae Logic purchase.

[A couple takeaways:  even the primitive triggering it does support currently doesn't work, if any analog channels are enabled.  And the post-acquisition Search capabilities are currently very primitive.  The Review was posted less than a week ago, so things should still reflect the current state of affairs.]

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 10:27:15 am »
I can appreciate the challenge of triggering on data event, asking a bit much for a few hundred $$.

Do you really think so?  Here's what one $200 USB-LA provides for Triggering:

And that unit has 32-channels, 400 MSa/sec captures (with all 32 active), and 64M on-board sample depth.  Plus vastly more flexible threshold controls, and data input ranges.

It doesn't stream through.  And it won't fit in your shirt pocket.  (NB:  And it has only 3 protocol decoders: I2C, SPI, and RS232/UART)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:29:22 am by Mark_O »

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 02:35:09 am »
The original prices were (1) logic 4 $99, (2) logic 8 $199, (3) logic 8 pro $399, (4) logic 16 pro $499.

I find the latest software to be fine, but I'm only using it with the digital only original Logic 16.  It does show the protocol search results in a window in the lower right and has a search capability now.  The triggering I did worked fine, but again I'm using an older digital only model.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf