Author Topic: Software setup/Mainboard change for Agilent 16900A/16902A/16903A logic analyzer  (Read 29710 times)

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
I also submitted a support request with Keysight to get the older software, and they just closed the request saying "16903A isn't supported anymore - last support was in 2012"

I guess Keysight has turned into one of _those_ kind of companies now... how the greats have fallen

For shame Keysight, for shame...

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
I'm just trying out a new mobo in my 16903A. I got a Asus P5G43T-M PRO motherboard with a c2d E8500 and 4GB of ram. I installed win7 64 bit on a 500gb ssd (and sp1 / security rollups, etc etc) and the logic analysys software 5.60 (HUGE Thanks to ingowien for still having that kicking around seeing as Keysight is not even interested in handing out the software anymore).

I only have 2 slight issues - if I set the motherboard to use integrated graphics / PCI, the bios does show up on the integrated monitor, but the system just hangs at "Checking NVRAM" and won't actually boot ("Checking NVRAM" seems to be a relatively common AMI bios thing some people see if you google it, but there are really no definitive answers as to what causes it). If I change the display adapter in the bios to be only integrated graphics and not PCI, then it boots to windows. So the internal monitor works, but the system won't boot if that's the primary display device - not really the end of the world for me.

Once in windows, everything seems fine, the logic analysys service works and recognizes the frame and the cards, and starting the logic analyzer software works, but if I run a self test, I get 1 error, "System Backplane Clock Test (Failed in slots BCA)". I have a 3 card stack that's all joined together into one large module. I never saw this System Backplane Clock Test failure before, and I didn't remove (or even move) any of the cards in the backplane to swap the mobo. Has anyone seen this error before? I'm wondering if the power supply is a little overloaded - the 12V rail is at about 11.5V, which seems a bit low.

Anyone have any ideas what causes the Backplane Clock Test to fail?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 09:26:23 am by ahakman »

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
I fixed it, it was the 12V rail being low. I took the front panel off, took the power supply out, took the cover off, and then plugged the power supply back in. With it loaded and running windows, I adjusted the pot on the 12V module in the power supply to get 12.2V. Now the System Backplane Clock Test passes with no issues. I guess 11.5V that it was set to before while loaded was just too low a voltage, probably for the PLL on the backplane.

So, if your System Backplane Clock Test is failing, and looking at the detailed output of the test, is running about 1/3 the frequency it should be, check the 12V rail is adjusted properly!

Now I just need to cut a hole in the motherboard tray for the I/O shield, and this thing is good to go - nice and usable now, not painfully slow like it used to be!

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
Hmm, or not - I put it all back together again (mounted the power supply properly and put the front panel back on), now it's back to the system backplane test failing agian, running at 1/3 the frequency it should be  |O

Offline heisnoble

Hello friend i bought a agilent 16802a from ebay. the motherboard was dead. i changed it with a similar one. but after a clean re-install windows xp and installed 5.90 application software. but it is showing frame id error. i dont know what to do with. some one guide me what to do with.

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
Hello friend i bought a agilent 16802a from ebay. the motherboard was dead. i changed it with a similar one. but after a clean re-install windows xp and installed 5.90 application software. but it is showing frame id error. i dont know what to do with. some one guide me what to do with.

the v5.90 software is drm locked to certain motherboards.
Arcade Board Repair Guru.  [ twitch: HammysHangout , youTube: Hammy Builds ]

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
So i have a 16801A and went to pull the board out to plug into another frame, and noticed its a 134 channel card... Somehow Agilent Disabled have of it?

I am going to dump the Serial EEPROM and compare board jumpers to see if there is something make it appear only as a 34 channel card.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
So i have a 16801A and went to pull the board out to plug into another frame, and noticed its a 134 channel card... Somehow Agilent Disabled have of it?

I am going to dump the Serial EEPROM and compare board jumpers to see if there is something make it appear only as a 34 channel card.

How are you dumping the serial EEPROM of the module? Do you also have a method to write the serial EEPROM? How much effort does that take?

One thing I have wondered is what happens if the serial EEPROM is completely erased. In addition to applying hardware upgrade licenses to modules, the agHwUpdate.exe utility also has an option to initialize a module only if it is currently in the uninitialized state. I'd have to check my notes to see exactly what that option is. I wonder if that is a manufacturing option where the module initially has a blank serial EEPROM, and that is used to customize the module as a regular 16900-series 16910A or 16911A, or as a 16800-series specific 34/68/102-channel version.

If it's not too difficult to dump the current contents of the serial EEPROM and then write new contents, it would be interesting to see what happens when the agHwUpdate.exe utility is run if the serial EEPROM is completely erased.

Edit:
Maybe if the serial EEPROM is completely erased, and if you have a signed 16910_32Meg_Samples license file, then the agHwUpdate.exe utility could be used with the '-i' option to initialize the module with that license file.

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\Agilent Technologies\Logic Analyzer>agHwUpdate.exe -?
Usage:
  -?   print usage message
  -h   print usage message
  -i <slot letter>  -n <optional serial number>
       init the card in slot <slot letter> with serial number <serial number>
       NOTE: There must be a license file available for this serial number!
  -l <optional slot letter>
       list the contents of slot specified with slot letter,
       without the slot letter will list the contents of all slots
  -m <slot letter>
       return the card in slot <slot letter> to minimum depth and speed
       NOTE: This does not affect the serial number!
  -f <file name>
       write all output to the file specified
  -o   when used with the -f flag, indicates that it is ok to overwrite
       the file specified with the -f flag if it exists already
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 07:09:52 pm by gslick »

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
I was removing the eeprom and using my programmer.. However, I will try that util.

i need to correct my above post:

My 16801A i picked up a few months ago ( 32 Channel ) , actually has a 64 Channel Card ( not 134... lol) , but have way disabled. Comparing it to a 16911 card, the id chip resisters are set differently.

I also picked up the beat up face busted 16803A on ebay for $20 ( $100 shipped ) , turned out the lcd was not broken, and after resetting the admin password and bios, the display works perfectly.  the LA also passes self test without issue ( 20 reputations ) .. i just need to find a new bezel for it.

Its also equipped with an Intel Desktop Board D915GUX/D915PCM/D915GNA, Supporting 4g of Ram, the LCD is connected to an Adlink PCX-8551 Bridge Card... ( 1x PCIe )

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
Converting a 16912 -> 16911

Trying to change the Board ID & Swapping EEProm did not work, Booting Frame Results in error:

"Initialization Status: Slot A: After loading, FPGA_INIT lines not 1. exp=000C, reg=0091"

i looked at both 16911 & 16912 and saw no differences between them other then the board id resisters

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
As for Upgrading the Motherboard in these smaller 1/2 card frames, in two of the 3 units i have, they used the PCIe feature called Serial Digital Video Out to drive the LVDS display.. it only works on 915 Intel Chipset..

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
Correction... Looks like it SDVO will work with all these chipsets..

Intel® 946GZ Express Chipset
Intel® 945G Express Chipset
Intel® G965 Express Chipset
Intel® Q965 Express Chipset
Intel® Q963 Express Chipset
Intel® G31 Express Chipset
Intel® G33 Express Chipset
Intel® G35 Express Chipset
Intel® Q33 Express Chipset
Intel® Q35 Express Chipset
Intel® G41 Express Chipset
Intel® G43 Express Chipset
Intel® G45 Express Chipset
Intel® Q43 Express Chipset
Intel® Q45 Express Chipset

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
So, Still trying to see what can be done to a 1680XA system to upgrade the motherboard, Now, keep in mind the mATX in it now is a single core @ 3ghz, so it actually runs XP well, and putting 3g of ram, and doing the Register mod, allows it support any card in it.

I have tried two boards now with the PCIe SVDO Adapter, the systems do output video, but don't detect the correct panel resolution, it sets it to the smaller 800x600 on the larger 1024x768 panel.. so it has bars/garbage on left and bottom of screen, there is a hint that the Intel BMP tool can be used to edit the video bios, however, that program is non-existent.  --- I only tried to get video working first before moving to any software install, but since no video solution, not going to tear down frame to put board in.

Motherboards tried
Intel DG965RY ( wont fit, its too big, wasn't paying attention )
Intel DG43GT ( would fit, but does same issue ) .. I think this Motherboard may WILL work in a 16903A , i have one here i can try it in.. , but would require cutting out the back plate to support the MB I/O  I have a parts machine with missing bezel.

So if anybody has an extra Bezel for a 16903A and 1680X and will to part with, LMK :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf