Author Topic: Repairing burnt diode for DE5000 (battery short)  (Read 976 times)

Offline ironcurtainTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Repairing burnt diode for DE5000 (battery short)
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:47:40 pm »
Hi,

I installed the battery wrong the first time and the zener diode in the position D5 next to the battery wires in my DE5000 failed/burned. I am not sure which type of diode it is, and I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what kind it is so I can repair it today.
Needless to say even if I quickly figured out I had switched polarity, the zener was dead and they die creating a short... not open circuit, so after reinstalling the battery properly it was shorted and it heated up pretty good. Luckily I opened up the case and removed it before things got a little... hotter.

:(

Never open up your test equipment when sleep deprived I guess!

Offline TheRadioGeek

• Contributor
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Repairing burnt diode for DE5000 (battery short)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:06:59 pm »
Sorry to hear about your meter getting hit with a reversed battery. I don't know what diode is used for D5 but I did find some talk about it in the following thread. its reply #12. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/der-ee-de-5000-unboxing-and-teardown/
It sounds like that diode should have protected the meter unless it was missing or something.

Good luck maybe someone else will have an idea.

The Radio Geek.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf