Author Topic: SDS 1202 X-E I2C triggering bug  (Read 11479 times)

Offline 17_29bisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: SDS 1202 X-E I2C triggering bug
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 03:29:51 am »
Hi,

Yesterday I finally got my brand new 1204X-E, upgraded its firmware to X.X-20  and repeated the test. It works much better than 1202X-E, for example for the triggering condition "7 Addr&Data" it can trigger on a single byte payload when the second data byte is used for setting the mask - it never worked for 1202X-E:

it also works now in case of setting "data length" triggering condition.
a) triggering on the payload 1 byte long:

b) triggering on the payload 2 byte long:

c) triggering on the payload 3 byte long:

I really like my 1204X-E,  it's worth troubles to travel to US, get the last unit available (thanks to  Jason from Siglent) and import it back to Canada.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:32:41 am by 17_29bis »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 04:08:59 am »
Hi,

Yesterday I finally got my brand new 1204X-E, upgraded its firmware to X.X-20  and repeated the test. It works much better than 1202X-E, for example for the triggering condition "7 Addr&Data" it can trigger on a single byte payload when the second data byte is used for setting the mask - it never worked for 1202X-E:
Yes but that was for old v.5.1.3.13 firmware.
Did you try the new v5.1.3.17R1 firmware in 1202X-E ?

Anyways, glad you now have a tool that works for you !  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 17_29bisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 04:46:19 am »

No, I did not because I sent 1202X-E back  and hope to get refund. Keeping both, 1202X-E and 1204X-E would be an overkill for me.
But I was thinking a lot about getting SDS2204 since recently it was on sale in several places (1.5K USD for the o-scope + all decoding options + MSO option) but I did not think much about replacing 1202X-E with 1204X-E. And it was really hard to find one unless one can wait till the end of March.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 05:35:19 am »

No, I did not because I sent 1202X-E back  and hope to get refund. Keeping both, 1202X-E and 1204X-E would be an overkill for me.
But I was thinking a lot about getting SDS2204 since recently it was on sale in several places (1.5K USD for the o-scope + all decoding options + MSO option)
I'd recommend the X model with the improved front panel layout and the much better LA probe set and 2x memory depth.
If you go for the full MSO package the other options (Decode and AWG) excepting Power Analysis get thrown in free plus a BW upgrade. But it must be bought from authorized distributor for the full promo to apply
It's a pretty well featured unit when fully packaged with a heap of memory depth and 2 GSa/s but unless you need the better performance, AWG and PA you're better off with the SDS1204X-E and some of the new features it offers.

but I did not think much about replacing 1202X-E with 1204X-E. And it was really hard to find one unless one can wait till the end of March.
Yep, stock is in very short supply as the factory is balls out keeping up with demand.

Anyways, hope it serves you well.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 09:35:41 am »
Hi,

Congratulations on your new baby!

I am glad it works for you - and that I haven't been totally wrong when I stated that I2C trigger/decode works just fine on the SDS1004X-E models.

Siglent have changed something about I2C address&data trigger in the latest 7.6.1.20 firmware. I have no clue what it was, but maybe the triggering on single byte messages...

it also works now in case of setting "data length" triggering condition.
Yes, that makes more sense now. Sorry for the confusion when I told you something different a while back, but on the SDS1202X-E with 5.1.3.13 firmware it quite obviously didn't work and I'd never tried it on the SDS1104X-E. So all I could do was repeating what I understood from the user manual - and even the latest version SDS1000X-E_UserManul_UM0101E-E03A states:
  • Data Length — When SDA data’s length is equal to the value of Byte Length and address’s length is the same as set value, the oscilloscope will be triggered. Byte length is in the range of 1 to 12 bits.
For me, byte length is something different than byte count (or number of bytes), and the latter wouldn't be counted as bits ;)

I really like my 1204X-E,  it's worth troubles to travel to US, get the last unit available (thanks to  Jason from Siglent) and import it back to Canada.
Yes, even though I have a couple other scopes, including the SDS2304X, I really like my little SDS1104X-E evaluation unit a lot. Despite having so much in common with the SDS1202X-E, for me the SDS1004X-E is so much sexier and I would prefer it even if I neither ever needed more than 2 channels nor all the additional features.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 09:58:50 am »
But I was thinking a lot about getting SDS2204 since recently it was on sale in several places (1.5K USD for the o-scope + all decoding options + MSO option) but I did not think much about replacing 1202X-E with 1204X-E. And it was really hard to find one unless one can wait till the end of March.

Well, the SDS2000(X) is a step above the SDS1000X-E of course, but only if you really need higher sample rate, more memory, higher waveform update rate, internal 50ohms termination, power analysis package, gold plated sockets, larger screen, separate vertical controls for each channel, additional front panel controls for math- or reference traces and the like. Apart from that, the SDS1004X-E is the more modern and more powerful scope with more features and better connectivity.

As for the difference SDS2304X vs. non-X, it is not that much. Compared to the SDS2000, the SDS2000X essentially has twice the memory (which might sound like a lot, but doesn't make that much difference in practice), much nicer (but also more expensive) digital probes, a better front panel layout, higher quality (=well damped) encoders and that's about it.

Offline gizzmonic

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2024, 06:51:47 pm »
Thank you for this post! I screwed around for 3 months trying to get my scope to decode the i2c signal without succsess. I returned the stb3 board  two times before giving finally up. Now that the fault has been proven, can we get a refund or flash file to fix this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf