Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 39815 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: SDS800X HD Bugs/Wanted Features
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2024, 09:40:19 pm »
Tried to use the uart decode feature... Not really helpful in my case...
:-//
You still have the DSO set for CAN decode.

UART decode works just fine, some screenshots with basic triggering and some Holdoff to first get stable packets.
Then set up the Decode correctly.
Note the DSO is in Run mode for all screenshots as triggering is stable and therefore Stop is not required.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2024, 10:19:05 pm »
I do alot of RS485 serial decoding on an SDS2000X HD, and one of the things I miss that the older R&S RTB2004 it replaced had was the ability to show the entire "message" as a single frame/packet, and not as single bytes in a list, like the Siglents does it.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-hd-12bit-(published-for-chinese-domestic-market-only)/msg5270949/#msg5270949

I've been an R&S RTB2004 user for several years but decided to buy an SDS2000X HD to use as a secondary scope.
I liked it better than the RTB2004, so the Siglent is now the main scope. And after 3D printing that VESA mount for it, it's such a convenient instrument!

However, one thing I haven't figured out is the UART bus table.
I do a lot of half-duplex RS485 decoding, and with the RTB2004 it would display each "frame" (burst of characters) on a single line in the table. The Siglent on the other hand, just places each character on a new line in the table, and I end up having to fiddle a lot to compare two received "frames".

Is there a way to have the bus table look like the RTB2004 that grouts the received data in "frames" rather than filling a list I have to scroll through?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 10:33:38 pm by hansibull »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2024, 10:20:57 pm »

UART decode works just fine, some screenshots with basic triggering and some Holdoff to first get stable packets.

It can decode  two protocols at the same time (Somewhat). I did not activate the list there, because its only useful for single byte communication.

I would not say, that the word "Siglent" can be read "just fine". What about a few more letters? My 200$ handheld DSO can do better here. It has like a 2 inch screen.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2024, 12:06:46 am »
I'm sorry to hear that. This is a reasonable requirement for you. Let me add it first. This function may not be possible, but there is an alternative solution. The oscilloscope has a "power on line" function, opening this function, and you need a WiFi socket. By opening the socket through WiFi, the oscilloscope can be opened.The WiFi socket costs a few dollars approximately in china.
SDS800X HD does not support a WiFi dongle, only WiFi access is via a mini WiFi AP router configured in Bridge mode to access local WiFi access points.
TP Link TL-WR802N is the one I current use.

We hope Siglent will reevaluate their decision not to have 800X HD support WiFi and instead offer the convenience of WiFi connectivity like SDS2000X-E, SDS12/1104X-E has.  :popcorn:

I believe he was referring to using a WiFi enabled power socket to power up the scope. Not Wifi to the scope itself.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2024, 02:26:53 am »

You can add to no. 5 and no.6:
When operating history, and measuring with cursers, history is changed simultaneously.
Okay, I have added bug No.7

Requirement No. 11, is how it works currently, but should be changed to be used in export automatically (For the whole captured waveform).
What I mean is that the complete frame result is automatically exported, and the expression has been modified.

Requirement No. 12 is the same?
What I am thinking is that the software searches for data that users are concerned about. If it supports requirement No.17, it seems unnecessary.

Requirement No. 17: Wildcards for every position, and not the first two bytes of the data.
Okay, it has been added to Requirement No.17

Another thing i found (corrent me if i am wrong):
The save button should remember what i want to save.
This is the same as bug No.1

The quick button is not really quick for saving a screenshot.
"Quick Button" does not support screenshots and requires screenshots to use the "Save Button" function.

More:
The scrollbar is very thin in the filemanager.
Scrollbar is just an indicator function that can be browsed by dragging in the text area.

I can not simply choose a file to overwrite. (Thats a real bad one to miss in my opinion)
Okay, it has been added to Requirement No.20

The keyboard has no spacebar. And the screen would be big enough, to show more or even all buttons of it.
The keyboard has a spacebar, click on the "Symbol" in the bottom left corner.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 02:34:45 am by electronics hobbyist »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2024, 02:29:39 am »
Tried to use the uart decode feature... Not really helpful in my case...
:-//

Then set up the Decode correctly.
Note the DSO is in Run mode for all screenshots as triggering is stable and therefore Stop is not required.

Little bit off topic.  Any reasons that the 2000X HD might decode UART, I2C, SPI with any notable advantages over the 800X HD?  Thx

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2024, 05:55:48 am »
The keyboard has a spacebar, click on the "Symbol" in the bottom left corner.

I do not want to make an extra click, to just have a space, dot or other char. Also some often used characters should be there. There is enough space to put them ALL on that keyboard. I just remember, that the window with the filename must be positioned on the upper border, to be able to see it when typing.

Please read Reply #51 where i described the save butto issue better.

Please add "decode when have used rollmode, and the acquire has been stopped".
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2024, 07:48:55 am »
I do not want to make an extra click, to just have a space, dot or other char. Also some often used characters should be there. There is enough space to put them ALL on that keyboard. I just remember, that the window with the filename must be positioned on the upper border, to be able to see it when typing.
Added to requirement No.21

I have read these, do you want to Save Button to save JPG, and then what action do you expect Quick Button to perform? Currently, Quick Button only supports switching to the Save/Recall menu and does not support saving images.

Do you want to Save Button to save JPG images and Quick Button to save PNG images at the same time?

Added to requirement No.22
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:14:13 am by electronics hobbyist »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2024, 08:49:24 am »
Added to requirement No.21

I have read these, do you want to Save Button to save JPG, and then what action do you expect Quick Button to perform? Currently, Quick Button only supports switching to the Save/Recall menu and does not support saving images.

Do you want to Save Button to save JPG images and Quick Button to save PNG images at the same time?

Added to requirement No.22
See reply #7 for the preferred solution.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2024, 09:21:38 am »

In my experience, adding features is not a problem, while deleting features is unacceptable to many customers.   :palm:
If JPG is not considered, saving BMP and PNG also has this problem. It depends on eTobey's requirements, so I asked him what his expectations are.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:23:44 am by electronics hobbyist »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2024, 09:35:08 am »

In my experience, adding features is not a problem, while deleting features is unacceptable to many customers.   :palm:
If JPG is not considered, saving BMP and PNG also has this problem. It depends on eTobey's requirements, so I asked him what his expectations are.
There was a time Siglent screenshots could only be saved as BMP in old models.
They were large, so large that only a few could be posted here when total file size limits were small.
PNG came along and solved all these problems of needing to open a picture viewer and convert BMP to the superior PNG.
IMHO converting image file types is so easy there is no need for either JPG or BMP.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2024, 09:58:07 am »

There was a time Siglent screenshots could only be saved as BMP in old models.
They were large, so large that only a few could be posted here when total file size limits were small.
PNG came along and solved all these problems of needing to open a picture viewer and convert BMP to the superior PNG.
IMHO converting image file types is so easy there is no need for either JPG or BMP.

Half a loaf is better than no bread. (I'm not sure I'm using this right.)   :scared:

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2024, 10:02:00 am »

I cant believe, that you actually dared to answer for me. Even worse, he responds to you!  :palm:

I try to clarify again:
The save button saves different data. When i want it to always save the setup, it should not be changed, when i just save waveform with the menu.

What i also want:
Save saves the waveform/setup/... (as above), and quick saves the png/... (the format for the image does not matter for me) immediately.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2024, 10:19:01 am »
Another one:
If i change from 1x10 probe to 1x1 probe, the vertical base changes from 50mv/div to 5mv/div.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2024, 10:27:31 am »
It might be a lack of knowledge, but then i have the 1x1 probe, i measure 50mvpp, when i change to 1x10, i got 10mvpp. (ac coupling)

See setupfile attached (rename to xml)

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2024, 10:30:28 am »
Another one:
If i change from 1x10 probe to 1x1 probe, the vertical base changes from 50mv/div to 5mv/div.

This is normal because of 10x5mV.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2024, 10:34:26 am »
All the Utility>Save/Recall functionality is perfectly fine as it is and consistent across all models using the current UI.

Respectfully I recommend those that are having difficulty with it take the time to learn it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2024, 10:40:46 am »

This might be normal for you, but for me its kinda wrong, since my signal usually dont change...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2024, 10:44:31 am »
It might be a lack of knowledge, but then i have the 1x1 probe, i measure 50mvpp, when i change to 1x10, i got 10mvpp. (ac coupling)

See setupfile attached (rename to xml)
This^

This might be normal for you, but for me its kinda wrong, since my signal usually dont change...
Normal for all of us.
Input attenuation MUST match probe attenuation for levels to be correct.
Press channel button and set the appropriate attenuation.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2024, 10:46:32 am »
Respectfully I recommend those that are having difficulty with it take the time to learn it.

If you are talking to me, then i can assure you, i dont have difficulty with it. There is just a potential for improvement...

The save button should work just like the quick button (assign a save format to it). Aside from this, i dont mind beeing able to use the quick button for save actions too!!!

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2024, 10:48:48 am »
Input attenuation MUST match probe attenuation for levels to be correct.
Press channel button and set the appropriate attenuation.

I did... but i just realised, that those spikes add up to the vpp. So theres nothing wrong.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2024, 10:50:11 am »

If you are talking to me, then i can assure you, i dont have difficulty with it. There is just a potential for improvement...

The save button should work just like the quick button (assign a save format to it). Aside from this, i dont mind beeing able to use the quick button for save actions too!!!
RTFM
P219
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/download/24_02_20/SDS800X_HD_UserManual_EN01A.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2024, 10:57:41 am »
I cant believe, that you actually dared to answer for me. Even worse, he responds to you!  :palm:

Hi friend, everyone can express their opinions without any restrictions. Some good ideas are derived from discussions.

I try to clarify again:
The save button saves different data. When i want it to always save the setup, it should not be changed, when i just save waveform with the menu.

What i also want:
Save saves the waveform/setup/... (as above), and quick saves the png/... (the format for the image does not matter for me) immediately.

Okay, I understand. Quick Button supports more features, such as saving images. Added to requirement No.23

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:27:36 am by electronics hobbyist »

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2024, 11:37:58 am »
This:
RTFM
You should generally take this into account and not post everything in the bug thread just because something is not quite clear, there is a normal thread for asking questions.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, newbrain, KungFuJosh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2024, 11:45:55 am »
Little bit off topic.  Any reasons that the 2000X HD might decode UART, I2C, SPI with any notable advantages over the 800X HD?  Thx

Let me answer for you, UART, I2C, SPI decoding have no difference, 2000X HD supports more decoding protocols.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:51:55 am by electronics hobbyist »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf