Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 53530 times)

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SDS800X HD Wanted Features
« Reply #625 on: April 22, 2024, 06:02:00 pm »
...and then not suddenly because it is then "finished with one lap".
Could you explain this? I dont get it.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #626 on: April 22, 2024, 06:13:58 pm »
finished with one lap = filling the display/acquisition buffer.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #627 on: April 22, 2024, 06:27:22 pm »
This question was addressed at Martin72, so i would like to have an answer from Martin.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #628 on: April 22, 2024, 06:31:16 pm »
This question was addressed at Martin72, so i would like to have an answer from Martin.
You don't seem to be familiar with how forums work. You'll get an answer from Martin, most likely, but the idea of a forum is not an one on one conversation. Questions are for everyone, as long as they can answer well enough, and answers are, likewise, for everyone.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, newbrain, 2N3055, KungFuJosh, radiohomebrewer2000

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #629 on: April 22, 2024, 06:31:31 pm »
Really ?  :-//
This is kindergarten stuff.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #630 on: April 22, 2024, 06:41:15 pm »
(b) use regular retrace mode, and stare at an apparently frozen screen for a second or two, before it suddenly gets updated

At 100ms/div it will be in about one second and then not suddenly because it is then "finished with one lap".

One second of no feedback can be pretty long when I'm e.g. trying to adjust something. At 200 ms/div it's two seconds, and if you don't find that an annoyingly long "silent" period, you are much more patient than I am. (Which is entirely within the realm of possibility. ;)

When I wrote "it suddenly gets updated", I meant "it gets updated within a very short time span", not "it gets updated for reasons I don't understand".  ::)

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #631 on: April 22, 2024, 06:45:22 pm »
I didn't assume that either, I just made it clear to others, which was promptly confirmed. ;)
My colleagues are indeed not so patient and try to keep things as short as possible, with sometimes adventurous actions such as setting the memory as small as possible.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #632 on: April 22, 2024, 09:29:22 pm »
Really ?  :-//
This is kindergarten stuff.

I disagree, this is more like efficient, non confusing conversation. It was not really a technical question. It was how somebody meant something. And there is a possibility a message gets corrupted if it goes over several "stations".

Either way, that answer did not really help to make me understand.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #633 on: April 23, 2024, 06:08:27 am »
One second of no feedback can be pretty long when I'm e.g. trying to adjust something. At 200 ms/div it's two seconds …

Sorry, but I cannot see a valid argument here.

I’ve rarely ever used a DSO to deal with very slow signals, but right now I’ve played a little with a 1 Hz cardiac signal, just to confirm my theory.

You want to adjust something. One would normally use a faster time base for this, so I have to assume that the repetition frequency of the event you want to “adjust” is pretty low – just like my 1 Hz cardiac pulse. Now I’m inclined to say that adjusting a waveform with a slow repetition rate will always be a pain, no matter how the DSO displays it.

If, for instance, I want to adjust the amplitude of the cardiac signal, I only get feedback every second, no matter what. And of course that makes it hard to adjust precisely, but please don’t blame the DSO for that.

I’ve tried both normal acquisition and Roll mode and for my personal taste, 1 second updates in normal mode are still bearable, whereas for 200 ms/div Roll mode might be the better option indeed – as long as you don’t need a stable signal position.

Now what would we gain from Scan mode?

Assuming 100 ms/div time base, we can say:
•   Normal mode provides a consistent snapshot of the signal every second.
•   Roll mode provides a consistent window into the continuously moving signal, without any blind time.
•   Scan mode shows an inconsistent mix of old and new data.

Scan mode certainly cannot speed up the update rate of the signal, and the adjustment process won’t get any easier.

Since display modes have to be implemented in hardware, an additional mode would take additional resources that (if at all available) would be much better spent elsewhere.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #634 on: April 23, 2024, 06:21:26 am »
One second of no feedback can be pretty long when I'm e.g. trying to adjust something. At 200 ms/div it's two seconds …

Sorry, but I cannot see a valid argument here.

When i think creativily, i imagine many different signals, not just a 1Hz signal. Try to look at a 10Hz signal with 100ms. And no, you dont change the timebase, because there are other signals too. Also there are signals that are just a pain in the a** to setup a trigger for. Especially with the trigger system it is now. I just turned on the scope this morning to see, that all my trigger settings were lost, and as bad as the delay trigger is documented and seemingly functioning, not something i would expect from a 600$ product...

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #635 on: April 23, 2024, 06:36:12 am »
Since display modes have to be implemented in hardware, an additional mode would take additional resources that (if at all available) would be much better spent elsewhere.

I can certainly acknowledge that point. Engineering resources are limited, and if the change would be too "expensive" for what it delivers, it will not make the cut. I think that is the better way to look at it, rather than going round in circles debating whether there are use cases which would benefit from "scan mode".   

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #636 on: April 23, 2024, 07:00:51 am »
I just turned on the scope this morning to see, that all my trigger settings were lost

What trigger type it before shutting down, and what trigger it when it turned on today? If the plug is directly unplugged, this problem may occur. If not, it may be another problem.
I haven't encountered the problem you mentioned yet, I shutting down normally(Utility - Shutdown  or  Press the power button for 2 seconds).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:46:56 am by electronics hobbyist »

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #637 on: April 24, 2024, 12:36:01 pm »
A nice feature for all the Siglent DSOs that support Bode Plots and Math Functions would be to allow the DUT Input and Output selections to support not only Channels 1-4 but also the Math Function. With this added capability using the Bode Plots for Impedance and Admittance measurements/plots becomes more straight forward without the need for additional support equipment such as Current/Differential Probes.

For example, one could use the Math function to subtract the voltage probed across a Reference Resistor with a pair of Channels to use as the DUT current for the Bode Plot.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Mortymore, KungFuJosh

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #638 on: April 24, 2024, 03:35:30 pm »
I just turned on the scope this morning to see, that all my trigger settings were lost

What trigger type it before shutting down, and what trigger it when it turned on today? If the plug is directly unplugged, this problem may occur. If not, it may be another problem.
I haven't encountered the problem you mentioned yet, I shutting down normally(Utility - Shutdown  or  Press the power button for 2 seconds).
If i remember this right, there are many places where setting got lost from triggers:
- Delay trigger
- Qualified trigger
- levels of inactive channels on edge.

I guess there are many settings more. Also there was this case, where the setting of edge trigger influenced the behaviour of i think it was qualified trigger.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #639 on: April 24, 2024, 03:39:47 pm »
Feature idea:
I am now at a position, where i would wish i could do the following:
Use the *measured* level of C1, together with the *measured* PWM pulsewidth of C2, and plot a x/y graph, with a series of measures of those values.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #640 on: April 24, 2024, 04:37:00 pm »
Another feature would be helpful right now:
Individual gates for each measurement (or just two) in the measurement mode.

Edit:
Another idea Something i could use at the moment: Beeing able to get exact numbers from histogram. Either by i cursor or exporting the data / have a list.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 07:00:20 pm by eTobey »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #641 on: April 26, 2024, 03:19:32 am »
A nice feature for all the Siglent DSOs that support Bode Plots and Math Functions would be to allow the DUT Input and Output selections to support not only Channels 1-4 but also the Math Function. With this added capability using the Bode Plots for Impedance and Admittance measurements/plots becomes more straight forward without the need for additional support equipment such as Current/Differential Probes.

For example, one could use the Math function to subtract the voltage probed across a Reference Resistor with a pair of Channels to use as the DUT current for the Bode Plot.

Best,

Added to wanted feature No.39.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #642 on: April 26, 2024, 03:21:20 am »
Modify the rules for adding wanted features list. "Wanted features" need the "Say Thanks  :-+" of two other people besides yourself, so you need to describe usage scenarios clearly so that you can get the approval of others. "Improvements" can lower standards.
Based on historical experience, manufacturers will not guarantee that they can add new features. Siglent is also constantly adding new functions when releasing new versions, such as the serial analysis function of sds2000x plus.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/msg5434955/#msg5434955
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 03:23:01 am by electronics hobbyist »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Martin72

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #643 on: April 26, 2024, 06:19:23 am »
Modify the rules for adding wanted features list. "Wanted features" need the "Say Thanks  :-+" of two other people besides yourself, so you need to describe usage scenarios clearly so that you can get the approval of others.

Who is reading all the posts when there is so much unrelated text? Good features might be missed in between.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #644 on: April 26, 2024, 06:33:16 am »
Modify the rules for adding wanted features list. "Wanted features" need the "Say Thanks  :-+" of two other people besides yourself, so you need to describe usage scenarios clearly so that you can get the approval of others.

Who is reading all the posts when there is so much unrelated text? Good features might be missed in between.

People can look through the Wanted Features Summary, click on the links for those features that sound promising, check out the respective post and vote with a "Thanks" if they find that feature convincing.

Not ideal -- handling is awkward, and the number of "votes" per user is unlimited. But the forum does not offer a better meachnism, I'm afraid. An external tool like SurveyMonkey or Doodle might be the better choice, but who is volunteering to set up and maintain a poll?

Edit:
@Martin72 -- could you add a prominent link to electronic hobbyist's Wanted Features Summary post to the first post in this thread, and maybe a brief explanation of the "voting" scheme via the Thank-You mechanism?
@electronics hobbyist -- the voting requirement should also be explained in your Summary post, I think.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:39:04 am by ebastler »

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #645 on: April 26, 2024, 06:39:10 am »
People can look through the Wanted Features Summary,

But the forum does not offer a better meachnism, I'm afraid.

How could i forget this?  :palm:

The forum offers a poll !!!! I suggested this a few times!

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #646 on: April 26, 2024, 06:44:47 am »
Suggested feature:

Measuring with two or even multiple gates:
If one wants to measure 2 things, that can not be placed into one gate, the measurements are not possible.
See picture:
Measure level at "A", and measure width of negative level on "B".

Make more gates, where each measurement can be assigned to. If its not possible to implement in running mode, implement it in history mode. I already realized this functionality in a python script:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/using-scpi-with-python-via-telnet-to-connect-with-a-siglent-scope/msg5469892/#msg5469892

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #647 on: April 26, 2024, 06:45:31 am »

I don't think I ever saw a poll here where more than one option could be selected. It has alway been "radio buttons", where you can select 1 out of N answers. Hence I assume that "any number out of N" or "up to M votes per user" polls are not supported.

And you don't want one separate poll per feature -- which would also mean one thread per feature, since only one poll per thread is possible.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #648 on: April 26, 2024, 06:49:08 am »

I don't think I ever saw a poll here where more than one option could be selected. It has alway been "radio buttons", where you can select 1 out of N answers. Hence I assume that "any number out of N" or "up to M votes per user" polls are not supported.

And you don't want one separate poll per feature -- which would also mean one thread per feature, since only one poll per thread is possible.

Sometimes believing aint working:
I just "tried" it out:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/test-425857/

I cant find a way to edit my votes, can you???
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:51:07 am by eTobey »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #649 on: April 26, 2024, 06:52:53 am »
I cant find a way to edit my votes, can you???

Right, that was the other restriction I had meant to mention.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf