Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 39827 times)

Online nanopico

Re: SDS800X HD Bugs/Wanted Features
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2024, 12:31:44 pm »
Another little bit off topic...
The 2-channel SDS800X HD series models are capable of Bode Plotting?
In the datasheet, the mention that exists in the documentation for the SDS1000X-E series, is not made (Bode Plot available only for 4-channel models).

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2024, 12:40:15 pm »
RTFM
P219
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/download/24_02_20/SDS800X_HD_UserManual_EN01A.pdf
This:
RTFM
You should generally take this into account and not post everything in the bug thread just because something is not quite clear, there is a normal thread for asking questions.

The manual is of no use, when i describe a bug/a bad made feature!

Try setting up the save button, then save something else with the menu, and then AGAIN try the save button and see what happens! BTW. I got the newest Firmware.

ACTUALLY TRY IT, and not just think "oh this guy doesnt know how to use a scope and cant read a manual" or similar.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 12:47:05 pm by eTobey »
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2024, 01:07:08 pm »
Another little bit off topic...
The 2-channel SDS800X HD series models are capable of Bode Plotting?
In the datasheet, the mention that exists in the documentation for the SDS1000X-E series, is not made (Bode Plot available only for 4-channel models).

Yes, the 2-channel SDS800X HD series models supports free Bode Plot.

If have any questions about the product, please ask them here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds800x-hd-12-bit-dsos-coming/

The current post discusses bugs and requirements.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:10:23 pm by electronics hobbyist »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2024, 01:36:46 pm »
ACTUALLY TRY IT, and not just think "oh this guy doesnt know how to use a scope and cant read a manual" or similar.

When half of your "bugs" are user error, people are going to point that out.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2024, 01:38:51 pm »
Another (annoying) thing:
When using the knob with cursors, the cursor menu opens when pushing the knob. This is totally unnessary, because it can be opened by the physical cursor button or cursor on the screen.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2024, 01:42:37 pm »
When half of your "bugs" are user error, people are going to point that out.
There may be a few, but half? DonĀ“t be stupid... please!  :o

If you dont get it what i mean, dont call it user error...

Edit:
For those that like pictures more than written text (If it is too fast, you can set the playback speed to 0.5 on the bottom right of the play window):
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 04:24:17 pm by eTobey »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2024, 07:21:28 pm »
Another thing:
I had quite a lot of times, where windows just closed. I think i often had my fingers resting on top of the scope. Maybe this is an electrostatic issue?. Just tried it over webcontrol. Its just the same. Its random and not reproducible.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:04:22 pm by eTobey »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2024, 08:06:57 pm »
Please no offtopic!

Just go in that window, and look around. All tabs egisters... Maybe wait 2 or 3 seconds. Change tab... repeat.

Its kinda easy to reproduce in this case it seems:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:17:20 pm by eTobey »

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2024, 08:21:16 pm »
Video (1):
You change the save function from "setup" to "reference" and the save button changes accordingly.
Where exactly is the bug now?
Closing windows:
Close automatically after 3 seconds if no input is made, can be set, see manual.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2024, 08:50:04 pm »
Video (1):
You change the save function from "setup" to "reference" and the save button changes accordingly.
Where exactly is the bug now?
Watch it again, and if you cant see it, watch it again! If you still can not see it, you clearly have some bugs too!

If you have some bias, because others wrote bad about me, then you should change that, and judge for yourself.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm by eTobey »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2024, 08:53:52 pm »
Edit: Martin is correct; it's just the regular timeout.

BS!
If you would be a bit more scientific, then you would have measured and asked! The window closed about 5 seconds after the last input. I have set up 10s! Also now my window is open for a few minutes already...

Edit:
The filemanager does also not close on itself. And in other occassions i was doing stuff, so there would be no timeout.

Do you got the same version as i have (see picture)?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:00:47 pm by eTobey »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2024, 09:09:21 pm »
Another suggestion:
When typing with the keyboard, dont close everything, when you click on besides it (not on a window!). I would say only close the keyboard on hitting enter. Its easy to miss a button, and happens probably when changing the layout of the keyboard to type a space or "." or similar.

(Yes, its not exactly a bug, but its annoying as one.)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2024, 09:12:51 pm »
You have not bothered to tell us about the length of your timeout setting, so how whould we know?

Why should i bother in the first place? If a window closes while i do stuff, its a bloody bug! If you think its a normal timeout feature, then ask what the setting of it is.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2024, 09:46:22 pm »
Is this related to the Menu Hide settings in the Display menu ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2024, 10:05:43 pm »

Yes. See my reply #97; that's the status quo of what I can reproduce.
Ok, this is one of the first things I disengage, the Menu Hide feature.  :horse:

It never fails to catch newbies to this UI out, regardless of the model.
Each to their own but I wish to be in charge and have menus always visible until I choose to close them with a touch or click on the menu heading or on a vacant portion of the display.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: radiohomebrewer2000

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2024, 10:08:46 pm »
The onus is on you to provide complete information, not on others to ask. We are not a paid service hotline for you.

I did not ask for a service!   :palm:

And how the fu** should i know that this setting would have something to do with it? It happend so random!

If you write me a script, that lets me include the setup file in here with a few clicks, i am happy to include such here when finding bugs...

It seems to me, that you guys dont want to see the bugs.... Just the same with the changing of the save button. I just made a video about this, and still some people cant see it...  :palm: unbelievable.  Do you actually use this scope really?

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2024, 10:13:51 pm »

So you would say this is not a bug?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2024, 10:26:34 pm »

So you would say this is not a bug?
The Menu Hide feature works just as it should.

It takes a good while to get to know and learn all the features in these scopes where working through the OM and experimenting with settings can help to understand how it all has been designed as it is.
Eg, a very experienced and capable user might have the Menu Hide feature set to 3s, the minimum, whereas this setting would drive others to despair.
Others of us that have worked with this UI for some years know how the scopes work and appreciate why they have been configured as they are.

However any bug that can be faithfully and repeatedly reproduced after first a Default then set the unit for your needs should be reported here along with SW version and when possible accompanying screenshots that display settings.
Complex bugs can also be better identified/reproduced with a Setup file for anyone to configure the scope as you might have it and see what is not always a bug.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2024, 12:48:43 am »
Edit: Martin is correct; it's just the regular timeout.

BS!
If you would be a bit more scientific, then you would have measured and asked! The window closed about 5 seconds after the last input. I have set up 10s! Also now my window is open for a few minutes already...

Please maintain politeness, as we are all learning from each other.

You used a video to reproduce the problem, which is very good.
You have put forward many good suggestions.
Yes, you should first say that you set it for 10 seconds, but after 3 or 4 seconds, the menu and pop-up box disappear, so there won't be any misunderstanding.

Added to bug No.8.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2024, 01:01:53 am »
Another (annoying) thing:
When using the knob with cursors, the cursor menu opens when pushing the knob. This is totally unnessary, because it can be opened by the physical cursor button or cursor on the screen.

Yes, this is a good suggestion. Some forums in china have also found that clicking on the cursor line then the menu will pop up, when the menu in "Embedded" mode which will make the mouse position and cursor line position inconsistent.These two questions are similar.

Added to requirement No.24

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2024, 01:10:36 am »
Another suggestion:
When typing with the keyboard, dont close everything, when you click on besides it (not on a window!). I would say only close the keyboard on hitting enter. Its easy to miss a button, and happens probably when changing the layout of the keyboard to type a space or "." or similar.

(Yes, its not exactly a bug, but its annoying as one.)

Added to requirement No.25

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2024, 01:15:01 am »
Edit:
For those that like pictures more than written text (If it is too fast, you can set the playback speed to 0.5 on the bottom right of the play window):

The bug in this video is the bug No.1 proposed by Martin, the two functions are mutually affecting each other.I have modified the description of bug No.1 .
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 01:18:22 am by electronics hobbyist »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2024, 01:26:14 am »
Ok, this is one of the first things I disengage, the Menu Hide feature.  :horse:

Each to their own but I wish to be in charge and have menus always visible until I choose to close them with a touch or click on the menu heading or on a vacant portion of the display.

Please read the bug report again, #97. This is not the normal timeout. Auto-hiding should not happen at all when a dialog is open -- normally it doesn't. And it certainly should not be forced, 10 seconds after the channel change, even if the user continues to make other changes in the dialog.

I am happy with the regular auto-hide operation, but not with this. It's not "to each their own", it's a bug, plain and simple. Well, neither very plain nor very simple. ::)

Auto-hiding should not happen at all, when a dialog is open.

This is a good suggestion, added to requirement No.26 .

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2024, 01:30:55 am »

Perhaps the auto hide menu should be turned off at the factory, this is better for beginners, but these issues still occur when the auto hide menu function is turned on.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2024, 01:34:54 am »

Perhaps the auto hide menu should be turned off at the factory, this is better for beginners, but these issues still occur when the auto hide menu function is turned on.
In most new firmware this is now done after bringing this matter to Siglent's attention via their private forum.

However newbies can change settings ......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf