Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 38801 times)

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
Re: SDS800X HD Bugs/Wanted Features
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2024, 02:19:30 am »
As the requirements increases, some requirements are important to some people and may not affect others at all.

It would be better to call them "requests" rather than "requirements." It's a wish list, not a ransom demand letter. 😉

Google has translated "Needs", "Requests", and "Wanted Features" into "Requirements".
Accept your suggestion to change it according to the name of the post and use "Requests" to describe it.  ;D

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2024, 02:35:59 am »
Google has translated "Needs", "Requests", and "Wanted Features" into "Requirements".
Accept your suggestion to change it according to the name of the post and use "Requests" to describe it.  ;D

lol, that doesn't surprise me. Google translate is efficient at misunderstanding things. I've found English/Chinese translation leaves a lot to desire, as I'm sure you've also noticed. Google translate can be a real 王八蛋. 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2024, 02:59:15 am »

lol, that doesn't surprise me. Google translate is efficient at misunderstanding things. I've found English/Chinese translation leaves a lot to desire, as I'm sure you've also noticed. Google translate can be a real 王八蛋. 😉

Yep, sometimes it’s hard to know about the translation process right away.

Pepsi used to have a marketing campaign that said “Pepsi adds zest to life.”. When Pepsi took their product overseas they had it translated.  Turns out the translation came through in one language as “Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave.”

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2024, 03:06:37 am »
A Python-like scripting language that can be executed from the scope itself would have been nice.

There is scpi command, which theoretically should meet all your needs. If it does not meet the needs, the manufacturer should support the corresponding command.
You can use Python to complete tasks on computer.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2024, 03:17:24 am »
A Python-like scripting language that can be executed from the scope itself would have been nice.

There is scpi command, which theoretically should meet all your needs. If it does not meet the needs, the manufacturer should support the corresponding command.
You can use Python to complete tasks on computer.
Does no one RTFM ?  :-//

P767 Python Example
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SDS800XHD_Series_ProgrammingGuide_EN11F.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2024, 03:23:18 am »

:palm:  Thanks Google for saving me a lot of time.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2024, 06:56:24 am »
It was quite difficult to understand your question for the first time, but later you used videos to explain it, which made me understand,
so you are also learning, aren't you? So be tolerant of others. :)

I think you dont understand, because i dont rellay understand why you ask me if i am learning. This save button and saving things menu is something i learn in a matter of minutes.
Its just a very little part of the functionality of that UI. It does not matter what it behind of that.

As tautech said, Run/Stop belongs to Waveform Acquisition, so it is not a problem.
Well: Trigger can stop the acqusition, force will start an acquisition, so it does really fit in there. Also, there is enough of space for that.

This belongs to changing user settings and should also be avoided.
Of course, it is more convenient for some people.
When i have ch1 and ch2 (ch2 has trigger) activated, and i deactivate ch2, what is the practical use of having ch1 activated with no trigger for it? What is this used for?
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2024, 07:11:26 am »
Bug No.1 can also not be considered a bug, the design is like this, where two functions use the same menu, which is not in line with the habits of most users.Therefore, I still added it to the bug list.
Now i got it, why others dont get it: They just see this as a normal function.

But in this case, i would say, that the menu entry "setting" in the "save button" is pointless and even missleading. As the other UI parts are quite intuitive, i had not have expected this. To say it in other words: "If there is a setting in the 'save button' menu, than this setting should only belong to the save button, and should not be altered from any other setting". Maybe its just a wrong assignment for that button, and it was thought to be implemented as i said?

I hope to have sufficiently explained this.  :-+
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2024, 07:16:10 am »
As the requests increases, some requests are important to some people and may not affect others at all.
Therefore, at least two people need to agree on the requests before adding them to the list.I also count one vote, I have been using various oscilloscopes for a long time.
If there are too many requests in the list, manufacturers also have priority in implementing them. So let's limit the it, Place important requests in the list.

Welcome everyone to share more ideas, of course, it would be better to discover bugs.

You can just make a poll in the forum! To save work, you can replace the requests part in your post with it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2024, 07:22:35 am »
Bug No.1 can also not be considered a bug, the design is like this, where two functions use the same menu, which is not in line with the habits of most users.Therefore, I still added it to the bug list.
Now i got it, why others dont get it: They just see this as a normal function.

But in this case, i would say, that the menu entry "setting" in the "save button" is pointless and even missleading. As the other UI parts are quite intuitive, i had not have expected this. To say it in other words: "If there is a setting in the 'save button' menu, than this setting should only belong to the save button, and should not be altered from any other setting". Maybe its just a wrong assignment for that button, and it was thought to be implemented as i said?

I hope to have sufficiently explained this.  :-+
You would be better to have RTFM, P219 where the functionality of the Save button is clearly described.
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/download/24_02_20/SDS800X_HD_UserManual_EN01A.pdf

As it happens, Save functionality on SDS800X HD has been somewhat improved from earlier entry level models where it was named Print and offered just a single function, to send a screenshot to USB.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2024, 07:32:42 am »
Bug:
SMB Client does not autoconnect. My setup includes a TP-Link TL-WR802N N300 WLAN Nano Router.
It does work when i connecting manually.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2024, 07:42:50 am »
You would be better to have RTFM, P219 where the functionality of the Save button is clearly described.

The manual is of no relevance, in regards to my arguments.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2024, 07:48:56 am »
I think you dont understand, because i dont rellay understand why you ask me if i am learning. This save button and saving things menu is something i learn in a matter of minutes.
Its just a very little part of the functionality of that UI. It does not matter what it behind of that.
What I mean is to learn how to describe a problem, such as CAN “filter” problem, generates many posts, which is not appropriate.
A good problem description only needs to be explained once, at most twice, so we need to think from the perspective of a third party.

I can understand your question because of my experience. In my past work, I had to deal with many problems in a day, but others may not have such experience.

At the same time, others have provided you with help, and even if you cannot use it, you should be grateful.

When i have ch1 and ch2 (ch2 has trigger) activated, and i deactivate ch2, what is the practical use of having ch1 activated with no trigger for it? What is this used for?
Most people prefer certain settings, and it is best not to modify user settings. I have Keysight, Lecory, and YOKOGAWA who have not used the way you said.
This will not affect your use, as it is in line with your habits, but not in line with the habits of some others, who are already accustomed to the current way.

If you need this channel to trigger, if a signal is input, you can press AutoSetup once.  8)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2024, 07:51:18 am »
I am not sure, if this is a bug. I think it is. SCPI does print corrupted data. (see picture)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2024, 07:53:57 am »
Bug:
SMB Client does not autoconnect. My setup includes a TP-Link TL-WR802N N300 WLAN Nano Router.

Okay, I will confirm.

If others have the conditions, can reproduce this problem?  Thank you.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2024, 07:56:54 am »
Bug:
Did you follow the instructions on P227 30.8.1 SMB File Share ?
Please test more and report.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2024, 08:06:57 am »
What I mean is to learn how to describe a problem...

Most people prefer certain settings, and it is best not to modify user settings.

If you need this channel to trigger, if a signal is input, you can press AutoSetup once.  8)
Yes, sometimes its hard to explain a problem. But its also sometimes necessary to dismount a horse, to investigate something that is laying on the ground...
If a setting is working like in the manual, but its rather missleading, i am happy to NOT call it a bug. But i would then i would call this missleading/confusing.

Of course it is not a good thing to change user settings. Its easy to remember the old setting, and revert it back, when ch2 is activated again.

I find the last sentence of you rather impolite, as this is not an option at all, as it is changing a lot of things! But i want go back to measure the other stuff on the other channels again...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2024, 08:10:20 am »
I am not sure, if this is a bug. I think it is. SCPI does print corrupted data. (see picture)

May not be a bug, it is a character encoding display issue.You can use NI MAX ASCII code to parse, or read data in Python and then use ASCII code to parse.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2024, 08:15:40 am »
Did you follow the instructions on P227 30.8.1 SMB File Share ?
Please test more and report.

No, i did not. But my settings are as stated in the manual. I tested it already again.

Did you actually try this yourself? It would always help if others would try certain things too!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:31:56 am by eTobey »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2024, 08:31:22 am »
Some may argue, that this is a not bug, but i think i have sufficient experience with an edge trigger to say this is a bug.
The trigger works on the upper limit as expected.

Find attached the setup file. Feel free to investigate this too!

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2024, 08:49:54 am »
May not be a bug, it is a character encoding display issue.You can use NI MAX ASCII code to parse, or read data in Python and then use ASCII code to parse.

I have analysed the data that comes out of the scope. It matches the data printed in the browers. The display format has choosen to be decimal (on the scope). I think this bug only happens, when there ir a greater amount of datasets.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2024, 08:55:46 am »
Some may argue, that this is a not bug, but i think i have sufficient experience with an edge trigger to say this is a bug.

We don't understand anything here.
Video is bad and blurry...
What is the problem? What are you doing?

Feel free to actually explain what the problem is..

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, Martin72, electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2024, 08:56:59 am »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dho800900-oscilloscope-bug-reports-firmware/msg5351876/#msg5351876      :palm:

You can send me a private message in the future, let's discuss first.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:01:23 am by electronics hobbyist »

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2024, 09:42:37 am »
At the moment the term "bug" is being used in an almost inflationary way, I would be careful with such terms until it is clear that it can actually be called that.
Here in the forum and even more so "out there" (YouTube).
It gives a false impression of the device.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Muttley Snickers, newbrain, Mortymore, KungFuJosh

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2024, 10:12:39 am »
It gives a false impression of the device.

Then call it "poor performance". Never had observed such problems with my cheap chinese handheld DSOs! Edit: just checked, it has the same issue.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 12:46:44 pm by eTobey »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf