Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 40292 times)

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
Re: SDS800X HD Bugs/Wanted Features
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:03 am »
At the moment the term "bug" is being used in an almost inflationary way, I would be careful with such terms until it is clear that it can actually be called that.
Here in the forum and even more so "out there" (YouTube).
It gives a false impression of the device.
This.
The signal/noise ratio in this thread and, partly, the general one is getting quite low.
It difficult to understand whether what is being discussed are simply opinions on how something should work, real issues, or we are simply witnessing a "Boy that cried wolf" reenacting, with a (low, admittedly) risk that something serious gets buried in noise.

As a fresh owner of the scope, I'm interested to know its capabilities and its limitations; the manual and hands-on is good for the former, but tons of one-two lines posts do not help much with the latter - the burden of proof, and making it understandable to the (educated) audience, should be on the person reporting the issue, not left to a tooth pulling operation from the other participants.

I know my contribution here has been limited, apart from some network related desiderata, but for the moment I found no stumbling blocks in use (till now: measuring an HF power amplifier output, decoding I²C frames - it all worked as expected, once I understood the different acquisition strategy of the Siglent wrt almost anything else I ever used).
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Electro Fan, 2N3055, Mortymore, Bad_Driver

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2024, 11:14:25 am »

Then call it "poor performance". Never hat such problems with my cheap chinese handheld DSOs!

It is simply that you don't know much about how to use scope..
Which is not a shame in itself....

It is poor performance, but of the operators manners...

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2024, 11:25:35 am »
But you know what is a shame? Others not beeing able to communicate. They dont ask questions, but talk like "This scope is perfect, you just havent got a clue". Seems like some are not interested in discovering bugs, or are even afraid of discovering bugs.

No one really helped to let one comprehend, yet it seemed some pretended to not understand.

I just had another occasion where the rising edge would not trigger at 10mv/div, but the falling just did as expected. If this is not a bug, then proove it to me, or give me some terms/links!
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2024, 12:38:09 pm »
I have now investigated further, and i also read that thread that hobbyist linked to. It is the same issue probably. Sadly i have found no more precise information about this, nor has anyone given me more details.

On 5v/div, the missing band (where it wont trigger) is 1.25V, which comes out at 128 values that there are in between. To me it seems, that there is a filter, that needs to fill up, when the signal has reached its lowest point and is rising again (for rising edge trigger).

I am really intereseted to know what is behind this limitation.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:08:18 pm by eTobey »
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2024, 01:06:42 pm »
Yes, its me again  ::)
Setting up voltage levels for slope trigger:
Its is a pain to set them up! First i could not even find those, as i was expecting them in the trigger drop down menu where all the other settings are.

It would be awesome, if the levels can be setup like the cursors. Push button, set up low level, push it again, set up high level, push again, and move them both together. Also show both levels, when setting them both, or each on their own. At the moment they can not even be set up with the multi purpose knob.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:13:44 pm by eTobey »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2024, 02:24:03 pm »
Then call it "poor performance". Never had observed such problems with my cheap chinese handheld DSOs! Edit: just checked, it has the same issue.

Most errors reported by you are PEBKAC errors, but let's call them 'bugs.' Somebody should RTFM to you since you won't do it yourself.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2024, 02:59:42 pm »
But you know what is a shame? Others not beeing able to communicate. They dont ask questions, but talk like "This scope is perfect, you just havent got a clue". Seems like some are not interested in discovering bugs, or are even afraid of discovering bugs.

No one really helped to let one comprehend, yet it seemed some pretended to not understand.

I just had another occasion where the rising edge would not trigger at 10mv/div, but the falling just did as expected. If this is not a bug, then proove it to me, or give me some terms/links!

You keep being offensive and obnoxious.

It is you that cannot explain what is the problem.
I keep repeating that.
I personally helped many people here on forum.
When they actually ask the question.

You keep ranting how nothing works for you but you rarely actually explain what the problem is.

Example of your bug report is "this stupid edge trigger doesn't work and is stupid".

Let's put on the side that in this case it is simply you that absolutely have no understanding how scope triggering works.

Let's pretend there is some bug with edge trigger. There is not, but let's pretend:

What can we report to Siglent? What do you want fixed in sentence : "this stupid edge trigger doesn't work and is stupid".
What is actually wrong with it ?

You have to explain your use case, scenario, your steps to reproduce problem. Then someone else can try and if they can reproduce it, then it gets reported. It is as simple as that.

I do get that you are frustrated. But in order to get help (with learning or actual problems) you actually have to put in work.

I wish I was telepathic. That would be useful. But, sadly, I am not. Nor I nor anybody in the world can know what is bothering you if you don't explain it to us. With facts, and systematically. Calmly and rationally.
Cursing doesn't help.  Quite the opposite.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, newbrain, Mortymore, KungFuJosh, Martin72, Bad_Driver

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2024, 03:46:41 pm »
It's the Dunning-Kruger effect; unfortunately/fortunately this bug is not in the scope.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2024, 07:11:45 pm »
On 5v/div, the missing band (where it wont trigger) is 1.25V, which comes out at 128 values that there are in between. To me it seems, that there is a filter, that needs to fill up, when the signal has reached its lowest point and is rising again (for rising edge trigger).

Anybody here has the knowledge? Give me some terms or links, please.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2024, 07:25:11 pm »

Anybody here has the knowledge? Give me some terms or links, please.

Even if you don't understand what is somehow roughly explained here in Finnish in the text (the principles are still the same as these older models), by looking carefully at the pictures (example images 3, 4 and 5) you might understand some of the basic principles and learn even something - or then not.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Mortymore, KungFuJosh, eTobey

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2024, 08:28:58 pm »
Even if you don't understand what is somehow roughly explained here in Finnish...

Thank you for this piece of knowledge.  :-+ Did you write this?

Too bad, that this value cant be changed. Can it be changed on the expensive ones?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2024, 09:12:05 pm »
Some may argue, that this is a not bug, but i think i have sufficient experience with an edge trigger to say this is a bug.
The trigger works on the upper limit as expected.

Video removed.....
Sounds just like Trigger hysteresis.....normal and one of the reasons why we have the convenient trigger function: Set to 50%.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2024, 09:59:36 pm »
Even if you don't understand what is somehow roughly explained here in Finnish...

Too bad, that this value cant be changed. Can it be changed on the expensive ones?

What value? What are you talking about?
Why are you talking about two levels in edge trigger?
Edge trigger have only one trigger level. It has been so since the dawn of time.

What is your problem in a first place: Unstable trigger? Meaning your signal "dances" left and right?

There are other trigger types that have more control of details: window, Pulse, dropout...
Maybe you need one of these.

For triggering on such pulse bursts (such as protocol packets) good trigger type to use is pulse trigger.
You set it to positive, for length larger than half of pause between packets or so (40us for instance).

But I cannot see how any type of generic trigger can do better job than CAN trigger in a first place.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:23 pm »
You both can keep all your :blah: to yourself, as he already gave me the information i needed...  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2024, 10:26:52 pm »
It's enough now, this thread is actually intended for a factual exchange, YOU are spamming it and then with this unfriendly/agressive manner, pull yourself together or do you actually belong in bed long ago and are still awake because your parents have gone out ?
A moderator can delete my post for all I care, but it had to be said, at some point the limit is reached.
My goodness. :palm:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 10:29:18 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: AgiRigSig, KungFuJosh, Bad_Driver

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2024, 10:40:57 pm »
It's enough now, this thread is actually intended for a factual exchange...

The last 10 posts could be condensed down to the two posts of rf-loop giving me what i have asked for, and me thanking him. :-//

And as i already wrote, you are welcome to ignore me.  ::)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2024, 11:20:23 pm »
It's enough now, this thread is actually intended for a factual exchange...

The last 10 posts could be condensed down to the two posts of rf-loop giving me what i have asked for, and me thanking him. :-//

And as i already wrote, you are welcome to ignore me.  ::)

No, we won't ignore you.
You are an spamming all of us with your stupid posts.
You start behaving like a normal human being or go away and bother other children in your kindergarten.

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2024, 12:52:45 am »
Yes, its me again  ::)
Setting up voltage levels for slope trigger:
Its is a pain to set them up! First i could not even find those, as i was expecting them in the trigger drop down menu where all the other settings are.

It would be awesome, if the levels can be setup like the cursors. Push button, set up low level, push it again, set up high level, push again, and move them both together. Also show both levels, when setting them both, or each on their own. At the moment they can not even be set up with the multi purpose knob.

You can switch between high and low levels by pressing the trigger level knob, cannot activate both levels, which is a usage issue.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:33:27 am by electronics hobbyist »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2024, 12:57:36 am »
A moderator can delete my post for all I care, but it had to be said, at some point the limit is reached.
My goodness. :palm:

This thread would be a lot more intelligent and on topic if a moderator removed all of his posts, not yours.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2024, 01:08:37 am »

The people here are very experienced, and their daily salary is higher than this oscilloscope.
They are willing to spend time answering questions for free and should be fully grateful.
You looks young, and there is still a lot you don't know, and similarly, there is also a lot I don't know.
So before asking a question, you should think more and try a different way of asking.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2024, 01:26:34 am »
At the moment the term "bug" is being used in an almost inflationary way, I would be careful with such terms until it is clear that it can actually be called that.
Here in the forum and even more so "out there" (YouTube).

Yes, I suggest everyone not to describe it casually as a bug. It can be said that "I have discovered a phenomenon. Is this reasonable?".
If it is an unconfirmed issue, ask another thread for a question.

So far, if we merge bugs 5, 6, and 7, and merge bugs 2 and 3, bug 1 doesn't count, there are only four bugs, and there are no urgent bugs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:28:31 am by electronics hobbyist »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2024, 06:03:45 am »
Yes, I suggest everyone not to describe it casually as a bug. It can be said that "I have discovered a phenomenon. Is this reasonable?".

So far, if we merge bugs 5, 6, and 7, and merge bugs 2 and 3, bug 1 doesn't count, there are only four bugs, and there are no urgent bugs.

I can do my part here, but others have to do their part too IMHO.  :-+

I think you got bug no. 7 wrong (or i got your explaination of it wrong) so i try again. Others are welcome to try it out for themselfes or point me to a solution/cause:
When moving the cursors on a frame from the history, it changes to the next history frames simultaneously, when the cursor menu is open.
When it is closed, then only the curser will move, as is expected. But when i push the knob, then the curser menu opens and the problem is there again.

You write about closing the history list to "solve" this issue, but i cant find a way to do this. But giving the user the burden of many button presses to solve an issue is not the way to go anyway.

It may be arguable for bug no. 1 not beeing a bug, but it will be at the very least very missleading to be able to set up a "save type" for the button in the "save button" menu, but at the same time, beeing able to change this very setting from a different menu! Just give this button its own private setting that will not be changed, when saving something else using the "save menu".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 08:26:45 pm by eTobey »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2024, 07:00:00 am »
Tried to activate auto trigger with the physical button, it didnt work. But when activating it through the menu it could be activated. Saved the setup (see attachment), but could not reproduce this issue, when recalling it. I played around with sequence, history and the cursors before that.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2024, 10:08:02 am »

Next week, need to discuss which posts should be deleted to prevent a lot of ineffective information and only retain valid information.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.  ^-^

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2024, 11:18:51 am »

Have a nice weekend, everyone.  ^-^

Thank you, you too!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf