Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 38879 times)

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SDS800X HD Bugs/Wanted Features
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2024, 02:20:25 pm »
Or keep a list of confirmed bugs including how the bug can be reproduced and solved bugs in the first post. Some noise or long winded discussions are inevitable.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2024, 05:33:12 am »
Look at that "cuckoo's egg" i have found:
The holdoff does not work on quite a few occasions. First it seemed, that it didnt work when the max mem depth was less than 10M on one channel, or more then 3 channels were activated. But after a bit of playing around with it, its worse. Also when activating the measure, the holdoff stopped to work. This issue was already confirmed by ebastler, and no one else had prooven this to be just a "easteregg" so far. Both of us use Firmware version 1.1.3.3. (see picture)

Look here for more details:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/holdoff-does-not-work-siglent-sds814x-hd/

I hope i got that terminology right, and it is understandable. If you dont understand, you may just go and try it anyway, i am sure you will find that egg pretty quick.

Happy easter!
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2024, 06:29:00 am »
Just for the record, if someone is investigating the issue about changing history frames simultaneously with cursors:
I somehow managed, to change history frames simultaneously with the intensity. After the menu closed automatically, i could not reproduce this, when opening it again.

Edit:
I can now reproduce this. It only happens after the sequence has been finished or you hit stop, and the navigate history is used. But only if the frames number "button" is NOT activated. So a simple solution would be, to just activate that by default (if the user experience would not suffer).

Edit 2:
Yes i know, the quality is bad. But just look at the waveform, there you can see, that frames are changes and the intensity gets low.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 08:31:27 pm by eTobey »
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2024, 11:42:17 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/holdoff-does-not-work-siglent-sds814x-hd/..

So.. eTobey starts a new thread with an SDS bug in Beginners section, discussing it there for a while, and then jumps back to Test Eq. section.. A Sportsfreund, it seems..  ::)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2024, 11:55:33 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/holdoff-does-not-work-siglent-sds814x-hd/..

So.. eTobey starts a new thread with an SDS bug in Beginners section, discussing it there for a while, and then jumps back to Test Eq. section.. A Sportsfreund, it seems..  ::)

Yes, suspiciously so... It seems it is about trying to spam up talk about bugs, even when there is none....

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2024, 01:31:53 pm »
Yes, suspiciously so... It seems it is about trying to spam up talk about bugs, even when there is none....

You may want to seek medical advise. (see picture)
Btw: I did not use the B-Word  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 01:35:02 pm by eTobey »

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2024, 01:34:14 pm »
Isnt that what others wanted me to do? Thought it was just me, but...  :-//

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2024, 01:57:55 pm »

No need.
You are very rude and obnoxious even without using curse words.
It seems you are very talented in that regard...
Quite amazing, really...

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2024, 03:24:44 pm »
Isnt that what others wanted me to do? Thought it was just me, but...  :-//

This time the problem is that you're rereporting an already confirmed bug, that you clearly already saw was reported and confirmed. You're redundant.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2024, 06:50:19 pm »
This time the problem is that you're rereporting an already confirmed bug, that you clearly already saw was reported and confirmed. You're redundant.
Where is it? Havent found this.

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2024, 01:30:04 am »

No need.
You are very rude and obnoxious even without using curse words.
It seems you are very talented in that regard...
Quite amazing, really...

Hi, Dear 2N3055

ETobey has undergone significant changes. He describes the problem as getting better and less aggressive, so if he raises reasonable questions, please let him continue to contribute to this thread. :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2024, 01:54:40 am »
The holdoff does not work on quite a few occasions. First it seemed, that it didnt work when the max mem depth was less than 10M on one channel, or more then 3 channels were activated. But after a bit of playing around with it, its worse. Also when activating the measure, the holdoff stopped to work. This issue was already confirmed by ebastler, and no one else had prooven this to be just a "easteregg" so far. Both of us use Firmware version 1.1.3.3. (see picture)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/holdoff-does-not-work-siglent-sds814x-hd/

I hope i got that terminology right, and it is understandable. If you dont understand, you may just go and try it anyway, i am sure you will find that egg pretty quick.

Happy easter!

:-+ I like the description below from rf-loop, it's very clear 

Started from factory defaults,
100kHz sine, 600mVpp, 10 cycle bursts, 1ms burst period. Scope set after default: t/div 200us/div (and Ch1 100mV/div) Trigger (Rising Edge) Holdoff time 200us
Result: Trigger holdoff fails.

Same with several different signals and setups - fails.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2024, 04:21:38 am »
Have added relevant links based on ebastler's suggestion.  ;D
What is not fully confirmed is using an orange background.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-bugswanted-features/msg5411306/#msg5411306
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 04:24:16 am by electronics hobbyist »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, ebastler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2024, 06:20:14 am »
Just for the record, if someone is investigating the issue about changing history frames simultaneously with cursors:
I somehow managed, to change history frames simultaneously with the intensity. After the menu closed automatically, i could not reproduce this, when opening it again.

Edit:
I can now reproduce this. It only happens after the sequence has been finished or you hit stop, and the navigate history is used. But only if the frames number "button" is NOT activated. So a simple solution would be, to just activate that by default (if the user experience would not suffer).

Edit 2:
Yes i know, the quality is bad. But just look at the waveform, there you can see, that frames are changes and the intensity gets low.

The issue has been confirmed.

1. Open Sequence
2. Stop acquisition
3. Click on Navigator and select the type as History Frame
4. Change the universal knob, at which point both the history frame and intensity will change simultaneously

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2024, 06:32:36 am »

Might be the same cause as this (History frame changes with using cursors):
Choose a frame in history. Hit button cursor. Let cursor menu close. Move cursors with the knob. Press knob, move cursors again.

I can not say how exactly it happens. But i happens pretty easy. Tried to reproduce, but then it worked as expected. I think it has something to do, with that field you activated before to use it with the knob (frame No. / level of cursor).

I dont have a good camera ( setup). That i could really film it with. I encourage you just to try it yourself. Remember 1.1.3.3 is the newest version.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2024, 07:01:14 am »
Not a B**, but a potential for improvement:

Bad units:
Units are not the same and will cause confusion. In this picture, the 100ns are easly to see as a different unit, but that is not the case, if it would be below 87.1.
It should only have the same unit, or those units can be displayed with different colors. Show "ns" in blue, "us" in yellow and so forth.

Those that might now be urged to reply with "you just need to read" or similar, i wish to be quiet. I post this, because its always good to be able to work efficiently.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 07:38:35 am by eTobey »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2024, 07:55:21 am »
Bad units:
Units are not the same and will cause confusion. In this picture, the 100ns are easly to see as a different unit, but that is not the case, if it would be below 87.1.
It should only have the same unit, or those units can be displayed with different colors. Show "ns" in blue, "us" in yellow and so forth.

Yes, I can take a look how other A brands handle this issue.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2024, 08:24:13 am »
Bad units:

Yes, I can take a look how other A brands handle this issue.

SI prefixes/suffixes were invented for a reason.

Mixing units on single graph axis is an example where you don't mix units, unless it is a log graph where it might make sense.

Mixing units in a table that lists separate values is what units were invented for.
We write 1 ns, so we don't have to write 0.000000001 s.

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2024, 08:42:28 am »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-bugswanted-features/msg5411306/#msg5411306

A big "thank you" for your enormous effort to keep this thread tidy and useful!

Apart from mishappenings like the Holdoff-bug, exclusive to the SDS800X HD, this list can also help to improve the entire software platform.

In contrast to some of the competition, it actually makes sense to have such a bugs/feature thread, because Siglent do care...

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2024, 09:06:51 am »
Apart from mishappenings like the Holdoff-bug, exclusive to the SDS800X HD, this list can also help to improve the entire software platform.

Isnt that something, that Siglent employees should do?  ;D

I work a few hours with it, and i find dozends of little pieces that could be improved.

I dont think that Siglent has a bug tracker / feature suggest form for their customers have they? That would be awesome.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2024, 09:09:42 am »

Might be the same cause as this (History frame changes with using cursors):
Choose a frame in history. Hit button cursor. Let cursor menu close. Move cursors with the knob. Press knob, move cursors again.

I can not say how exactly it happens. But i happens pretty easy. Tried to reproduce, but then it worked as expected. I think it has something to do, with that field you activated before to use it with the knob (frame No. / level of cursor).

I dont have a good camera ( setup). That i could really film it with. I encourage you just to try it yourself. Remember 1.1.3.3 is the newest version.

I found that bugs No.7 and No.11 are one issue.
If the cursor is opened, it will control the cursor and history frame. If the cursor is closed, it will control the intensity and history frame.
Therefore, I will delete bug No.11 and added an explanation of bug No.7 in the link. Do you think this is okay ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2024, 09:20:23 am »

A big "thank you" for your enormous effort to keep this thread tidy and useful!

In contrast to some of the competition, it actually makes sense to have such a bugs/feature thread, because Siglent do care...

So welcome everyone to provide more suggestions on user experience, only in this way can the product become better and better. :)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2024, 09:22:17 am »
#5 and #6 are attributed to me, but I don't recall reporting these, and am not sure what they relate to in detail.

I have found one issue around history + cursors which can be easily reproduced. It is somewhat related to #7 and #11, in that is decribes a mode where the universal knob gets assigned to two functions at once, but is a separate issue I think:

- Firmware 1.1.3.3, start from Default setup
- Activate manual measurement cursors
- Run a regular acquisition
- Press Stop
- Select Navigate, Type: History Frame
> The universal knob now controls both, cursor(s) and frame selection. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2024, 09:26:56 am »

Isnt that something, that Siglent employees should do?  ;D

I work a few hours with it, and i find dozends of little pieces that could be improved.

I dont think that Siglent has a bug tracker / feature suggest form for their customers have they? That would be awesome.

There is no perfect product, it mainly depends on the feedback from the manufacturer to the customer.
If the manufacturer is willing to solve the problem in a timely manner, it is a good manufacturer.   ;)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2024, 09:29:55 am »
Not a B**, but a potential for improvement:

Bad units:

I am a bit obsessive/compulsive regarding axis labelling, and applaud Siglent for getting that right: Axis labels use consistent units and number format along the whole axis -- in contrast to Rigol and (as I learned here a while ago) LeCroy, who let the units change midway.  :-+

For axis labels, the software has the benefit of knowing the whole range of values upfront, so it can select a consistent number format which works for all values it needs to print. In contrast, the Decode results list is probably filled incrementally, as the data frames appear and get decoded. When formatting the first entry's time stamp, the software does not know yet how much later the next ones will come. So I can "forgive" the different units there.  :)

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf