Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 48174 times)

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SDS800X HD Bugs/Wanted Features
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2024, 10:44:37 am »
Read my post on this.
What is full line to you? How it is defined?

"message" as you call it is application level concept. Scope looks at electrical level there is no application protocol parser in it.

Which post? Links would help a lot.
What "full line"? Cant remember/find having used these words.

Where did i mention "message"???

I would count the decode feature as an application protcol parser.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2024, 10:50:43 am »
Please add to bug list:
Sequence is restart when menus are opened and closed (Either by hand or automatically).

Edit: setup file attached!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 11:51:35 am by eTobey »
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2024, 10:55:38 am »
It would be sufficient, to just have the quick button change format. But one thing that would really be helpful, is, having a complete packet of values/characters shown on one line UART I2C or else it would apply (less columns that would mean - for this option).

Read my post on this.

"message" as you call it is application level concept. Scope looks at electrical level there is no application protocol parser in it.

Just to clarify: I think we need to differentiate between protocols here.

I²C, SPI and CAN have a "message" concept in the low-level protocol, with addresses or commands having a special meaning and defining the start of a message. And Siglent's decoder results list do show the data packets for each message on a single line here, right?

UART (async. serial) transmission is different, in that anything above the character level is defined on the application layer. I fully agree that we should not try to teach the scope about application-level protocols.

But maybe the option to specify a timeout duration would be useful? I.e. if bytes follow each other with less than the timeout interval inbetween, group them into a single line in the message list; a silence for the duration >= timeout starts a new message. Default timeout of 0 puts every byte on an individual line. It would be a single additional parameter, and the results list is already prepared to show longer messages.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055, pdenisowski

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2024, 11:00:10 am »
Please add to bug list:
Sequence is restart when menus are opened and closed (Either by hand or automatically).

It should be easy to reproduce. If not, send me a pm, and i put my setupfile in here.

No, I can't reproduce this. I can open and close menus at my heart's content and the sequence keeps acquiring. Only if I change something in a menu which affects acquisition, the sequence will restart -- as it should in that case, I think.

Please be specific about the steps you take, and which menu(s) you are opening, and maybe share your setup.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2024, 11:07:34 am »
Read my post on this.

My post few posts above.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-bugswanted-features/msg5426231/#msg5426231

You used words, and I quote "having a complete packet of values/characters shown on one line".
So my question was how do you define what you define as one complete line of yours? One message? Simple question, really.

And you can count anything as anything but that won't change how industry defines things for 30+ years.
Scope decode is electric level decoder of voltage levels to binary values. Since some protocols have address, or CRC or something defined on wire level that gets decoded.

On UART, full data packet is single 7/8 bit serially encoded binary value. There are start/stop bits and optional parity bits.
There is no interpretation of data whatsoever.
Even option to display value as anything more than binary number, like hex or ASCII is already additional interpretation of data added
to ease reading.

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2024, 11:25:38 am »
Please add to bug list:

It should be easy to reproduce. If not, send me a pm, and i put my setupfile in here.

No, I can't reproduce this. I can open and close menus at my heart's content and the sequence keeps acquiring. Only if I change something in a menu which affects acquisition, the sequence will restart -- as it should in that case, I think.

Please be specific about the steps you take, and which menu(s) you are opening, and maybe share your setup.

Because the menu is in embedded mode, closing the menu will affect waveform acquisition.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2024, 11:29:04 am »
Please add to bug list:

Because the menu is in embedded mode, closing the menu will affect waveform acquisition.

Could you please explain this?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2024, 11:30:24 am »
Read my post on this.

My post few posts above.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-bugswanted-features/msg5426231/#msg5426231

You used words, and I quote "having a complete packet of values/characters shown on one line".
So my question was how do you define what you define as one complete line of yours? One message? Simple question, really.

And you can count anything as anything but that won't change how industry defines things for 30+ years.
Scope decode is electric level decoder of voltage levels to binary values. Since some protocols have address, or CRC or something defined on wire level that gets decoded.

On UART, full data packet is single 7/8 bit serially encoded binary value. There are start/stop bits and optional parity bits.
Even option to display value as anything more than binary number, like hex or ASCII is already additional interpretation of data added
to ease reading.

He probably wants the effect of RTB2004.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-bugswanted-features/msg5413091/#msg5413091

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2024, 11:31:16 am »

Ah, that could indeed be the difference. I always use the "floating" menu style, where the menu covers the right part of the trace area. (Because I don't like it when the whole screen gives a jerk when it's being redrawn with a different horizontal scale.)

Edit: Hmm, no. When I switch to embedded menus, I still can open and close menus without restarting the sequence. Opening a channel menu is the only exception I noticed. Here the sequence acquisition restarts, both for embedded and floating menu style. And it does not really need to, since I have not changed anything yet.

Edit again: Ok, it does indeed depend on the "embedded" menu -- not sure what I tried in the meantime. Opening "embedded" menus will restart the sequence acquisition, opening "floating" menus will not.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 12:39:34 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2024, 11:34:32 am »
Please add to bug list:

I'll check it again  :phew:

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2024, 11:38:29 am »
Please add to bug list:

I'm not saying you said something wrong, it is rather that I didn't understand...  :-+

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2024, 11:40:28 am »
Read my post on this.

My post few posts above.

to ease reading.

He probably wants the effect of RTB2004.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-bugswanted-features/msg5413091/#msg5413091

Well, that is an easy solution, he just have to pay 5x times more...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2024, 11:43:02 am »
Please add to bug list:

I can reproduce this phenomenon
1. Open sequence
2. Menu mode selection embedded
3. Open measurement
4. On/off menu, the sequence will be restart

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2024, 11:48:27 am »
1. Open sequence
3. Open measurement

For me, this only restarts the sequence the first time you open the measurement menu (i.e. when it also switches measurements ON at that time). I then can close and re-open that menu (or other menus) without restarting the sequence.

I would not consider that a bug. Switching on measurements is actually a change to the acquisition, so it makes sense to me that it restarts the sequence.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2024, 11:55:24 am »
1. Open sequence
3. Open measurement

For me, this only restarts the sequence the first time you open the measurement menu (i.e. when it also switches measurements ON at that time). I then can close and re-open that menu (or other menus) without restarting the sequence.

I would not consider that a bug. Switching on measurements is actually a change to the acquisition, so it makes sense to me that it restarts the sequence.

You can set the sequence frame higher, such as 1000(Convenient observation), and then click on the menu title area in the upper right corner to switch the menu on and off.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2024, 12:00:21 pm »
You can set the sequence frame higher, such as 1000(Convenient observation), and then click on the menu title area in the upper right corner to switch the menu on and off.

Yes, that's what I did. (Both -- set a sequence length of 1000, and click in the upper right to open and close the Measure menu quickly.) It does not restart the sequence for me, unless I switch Measure from ON to OFF or vice versa.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2024, 12:03:13 pm »
But maybe the option to specify a timeout duration would be useful? I.e. if bytes follow each other with less than the timeout interval inbetween, group them into a single line in the message list;

That is what i call a packet, a packet consisting of closely following bytes.

But when this would be implemented, it could then also be implemented to SPI and I2C?

Please do not talk about terminology anymore here. Use PM or something. This is topic is getting loaded with too much :blah:. And if some use the wrong words when quoting others, it gets really messy. My head is already spinning with my prototype and these bugs.

BTW:
i added the setupfile for the sequence bug.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2024, 12:05:00 pm »
Happens at mine when open/closing decode, aquire, measure, cursor... (Havent tried any more)

BTW:
i added the setupfile for the sequence bug. In the original post.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2024, 12:14:48 pm »
Happens at mine when open/closing decode, aquire, measure, cursor... (Havent tried any more)

BTW:

good, Added to bug No.12

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2024, 12:20:51 pm »
But maybe the option to specify a timeout duration would be useful? I.e. if bytes follow each other with less than the timeout interval inbetween, group them into a single line in the message list;

That is what i call a packet, a packet consisting of closely following bytes.

But when this would be implemented, it could then also be implemented to SPI and I2C?

Please do not talk about terminology anymore here. Use PM or something. This is topic is getting loaded with too much :blah:. And if some use the wrong words when quoting others, it gets really messy. My head is already spinning with my prototype and these bugs.

BTW:
i added the setupfile for the sequence bug.

SPI and I2C are already datagram oriented protocols.  Here's the new word for you to learn. They already send a packet of data. No need to group them. That was already explained several times. But you are too smart to read what other people posted. You already know everything.

And stop bossing us around what we can and cannot say.
Only one here that is creating way too much hot air here is you. Because you refuse to learn proper terminology.
Topic is too long because of you.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2024, 12:36:41 pm »
Not a bug, but as annoying as one:
List is hidden when it only has a few entries. This is so 00ies like...

- Decode that you have many entries with sequence.
- Scroll down in that list.
- Change history frame
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 12:43:58 pm by eTobey »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2024, 12:42:24 pm »
BTW:

good, Added to bug No.12

Ok, I could now reproduce it too, starting with eTobey's setup. And it does indeed depend on embedded vs. floating menu style -- only opening/closing embedded menus will restart a sequence. This detail should be added to the bug report to make sure the problem can be reproduced and located.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2024, 12:51:45 pm »
I remember when Rigol released 800, there were many feedback issues on YouTube and here, but this did not affect the judgment of many people.
Most people were not aware of these issues, and there were still many people who were comparing threads for which product was better.

I believe Siglent will soon solve these problems and gain greater market space in the future.

I also hope that everyone can describe the problem clearly at once. I will also make such mistakes, and I will confirm it clearly before reaching a conclusion in the future.

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2024, 12:54:30 pm »
Scale number overlaying others
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 12:56:19 pm by eTobey »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2024, 01:08:54 pm »
BTW:

good, Added to bug No.12
Ok, I could now reproduce it too, starting with eTobey's setup. And it does indeed depend on embedded vs. floating menu style -- only opening/closing embedded menus will restart a sequence. This detail should be added to the bug report to make sure the problem can be reproduced and located.

Could you guys be so kind to explain what does "sequence restart" means?

Does it mean:

1. You enable sequence mode.
You press Normal, so sequence keeps running, occasionally overflowing to when it reaches the end.
And then , when playing with menus, sequence number as show on the screen get's reset to zero before it's time?

Or:

2. You enable sequence mode.
You press Single, sequence keeps running until it reaches set number, where scope then stops.
And then , when playing with menus, scope on it's own restarts with another Single acquistion nobody asked for.

Or:
3. You enable sequence mode.
You press Single, sequence keeps running until it reaches set number, where scope then stops.
And then , when playing with menus, scope changes what is seen on the screen?

Thanks.

EDIT I managed to reproduce.. It is option 1. Thanks for help..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 01:12:29 pm by 2N3055 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf