Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 54531 times)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SDS800X HD Wanted Features
« Reply #650 on: April 26, 2024, 11:40:00 am »
I just realized, that there are buttons, that have a function that i often use, but do not use the button itself for.

How many of you acually use this button probably with only a mouse?

There could be some space be freed in the screen. Its not jut the "Meas" button. The hardware buttons work very good!

If actually some others use these buttons it is also a possibility to have a menu butto, that combines a few of the menu buttons. Its quite a waste of space, if a button occupies a part of the screen, when it has only 3 entrys, which sometimes are not used at all.

"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2024, 11:58:03 am »
I use the scope with a web interface, and hardly use this physical button, so if I can control it via the web interface I am happy, otherwise I would be highly dissatisfied

There could be some space be freed in the screen. Its not jut the "Meas" button. The hardware buttons work very good!

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #652 on: April 28, 2024, 07:10:12 pm »
I wonder how many use these buttons (see picture). You can move the fields by simply dragging them, so i would say these buttons are redundant. They would cover a field that you could otherwise click without moving the fields at all.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #653 on: April 28, 2024, 07:44:17 pm »
I wonder how many use these buttons.
Any advanced user with some active Math channels.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #654 on: April 28, 2024, 07:58:49 pm »

If you find yourself with some spare time, why don't you embark on reading the second sentence of eTobey's post? I am sure you will make it through...

The particular situation shwon in eTobey's screenshot seems awkward, but is probably due to the large fonts he has enabled. The only reason for the arrows to be shown is that the arrows take up room, so the CH1 box cannot be fully shown. In this case, there should be no arrows and all four channels boxes fully visible.

With the regular, smaller fonts, omitting the arrows would not make enough room available to show an additional full info box, I believe. So in general, I am fune with keeping the arrows.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #655 on: April 28, 2024, 08:42:43 pm »

If you find yourself with some spare time, why don't you embark on reading the second sentence of eTobey's post? I am sure you will make it through...

The particular situation shwon in eTobey's screenshot seems awkward, but is probably due to the large fonts he has enabled. The only reason for the arrows to be shown is that the arrows take up room, so the CH1 box cannot be fully shown. In this case, there should be no arrows and all four channels boxes fully visible.

With the regular, smaller fonts, omitting the arrows would not make enough room available to show an additional full info box, I believe. So in general, I am fune with keeping the arrows.

I think Rob's point was that the buttons are used, plain and simple. Different people have different workflows. Some people will hate scrolling, some people will hate the buttons.

However, I agree with you that the buttons shouldn't be there when there's only the 4 channels. The buttons should only appear when needed.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #656 on: April 28, 2024, 08:52:46 pm »

I think Rob's point was that the buttons are used, plain and simple. Different people have different workflows. Some people will hate scrolling, some people will hate the buttons.

However, I agree with you that the buttons shouldn't be there when there's only the 4 channels. The buttons should only appear when needed.
Consider different usage inputs.
The + tab must remain full sized for touch input therefore with a small display as 800X HD has needs the <> tab for access to the compressed tabs.

None of this is an issue with mouse control but touch control cannot be impeded when multiple tabs/channels are active.
Making the tabs smaller risks making touch usage problematic.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #657 on: April 28, 2024, 09:48:08 pm »

A few more words would have been useful, and would have sounded much nicer...

From 8+ tabs there is a point that would make those buttons actually better than scrolling IMHO. But then i would say drop that timestamp (make it floating or whatever) and make those buttons slightly bigger, and have the fifth element beeing covered less.

How about making the tabs a tiny bit smaller too? There is some room in the middle.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #658 on: April 28, 2024, 09:54:12 pm »
How about making the tabs a tiny bit smaller too?
Not possible without sacrificing space needed for indication of channel settings.
BW limit, Hidden (but active) etc.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #659 on: April 28, 2024, 11:28:49 pm »

From the guy who always tells me he prefers short answers to long winded ones. 😉😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #660 on: April 29, 2024, 01:38:11 am »
I wonder how many use these buttons (see picture). You can move the fields by simply dragging them, so i would say these buttons are redundant. They would cover a field that you could otherwise click without moving the fields at all.

Dragging is implicit, while arrows are explicit, and also said that there is information on the left and right, I think this is part of the reasons for retaining the arrow.For first-time users or users of the mouse, this arrow is necessary.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 01:49:58 am by electronics hobbyist »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #661 on: April 29, 2024, 07:17:25 am »
Feature suggestion:
When choosing max frames for sequence, and changing the timebase, the lowest frames that were possible on the timebase persists, even when timebase changed back.

Suggested behaviour:
A number that has been entered or when choosed max, should always be set if possible. Maybe have 2 fields that says "frames set up" and "current frames" (max frames that can be setup) in the menu.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #662 on: April 29, 2024, 07:30:26 am »
Not possible without sacrificing space needed for indication of channel settings.

Based on your information, and what i found in the manual the statement "Not possible" is wrong. See picture.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 07:32:13 am by eTobey »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #663 on: April 29, 2024, 07:33:21 am »

From the guy who always tells me he prefers short answers to long winded ones. 😉😉
The guy, that knows about the difference between sentences, paragraphs and chapters...

What about staying on the technical side, huh?

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #664 on: April 29, 2024, 10:16:25 am »

Based on your information, and what i found in the manual the statement "Not possible" is wrong. See picture.

It would loose readability in a 7" display that it's not that big. Cram the information in the display, just because it fits, it's not a good design interface.

That's one thing that I would have liked to see in the 800X-HD, with the same form factor as the 1000X-E, but that has lost the navigations buttons near the display, in favour of a touch-screen, that as release some space to fit an 8" screen. But one have to consider that with all those "small improvements", the cost would increase, hence the difference price for the 1000X-HD.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, tautech

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #665 on: April 29, 2024, 02:55:50 pm »
What about staying on the technical side, huh?

Nah. 😉

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #666 on: April 29, 2024, 03:38:14 pm »
Can one imagine what we would end up with if all the wants, don't likes, stuff this and that in, make it do this and that, and so on, would create?  Designed by Committee seems to fit, but Complete Cluster F**K seems better :o

The old HP and Tektronix didn't yield to all this type of BS, they had a group of knowledgable engineers/scientist, were actual in-house users, that decided how the instrument would be configured and built.

If a potential user didn't like what HP and Tek offered, wanted this and that, tuff then user could go somewhere else, or fly a kite!! We the users learned to use and operate the HP and Tek equipment like it was intended for, and generally for the better!!

Why, simply because HP and Tek engineers were more knowledgeable about their own instruments than any users, and we the end users learned and benefited from these Masters. Folks that didn't learn from this user experience unfortunately ended up being managers/excutives, and later this trickled up into HP and Tek pyramid which lead to their own demise :P

Hopefully Siglent will have limited BW and only listen to the very few knowledgable folks, which we know who they are!!

Best,   
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, newbrain, Mortymore, KungFuJosh, Martin72, RAPo

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #667 on: April 29, 2024, 04:57:29 pm »
As I've written here before, this is a Christmas wish list.
You write all sorts of things on it, in the knowledge that not all of them can and will happen.
Most of the time and for most people. ;)
I really hope that nobody actually believes that the Siglent development team will sit down, leave everything else behind and work through the lists.
For a device with a starting price of 359€.... :-X
If a few things are realized here, then this is a pure service to the customer, a goodwill in the truest sense of the word and we can then be happy about it, because these are free enrichments.
But I've also had to read here before, yes, a lot should be done in 6-12 months.
You don't know what to say about that either...
Super cheap, super quality, must be able to do everything and have everything.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:59:51 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #668 on: April 29, 2024, 05:16:04 pm »
I really hope that nobody actually believes that the Siglent development team will sit down, leave everything else behind and work through the lists.
For a device with a starting price of 359€.... :-X

As you said, it's a list of suggestions. I don't think anyone expects Siglent to implement more than a few hand-picked ones. Given their software platform strategy, I would hope that they do pick a few UI improvements which are beneficial across the whole touch-screen scope range -- so the effort would not need to be justified through SDS800X HD sales alone.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 05:19:39 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Martin72

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #669 on: April 29, 2024, 05:22:08 pm »
Hopefully Siglent will have limited BW and only listen to the very few knowledgable folks, which we know who they are!!
I hope that not more bugs can be found as there were to be fixed after the new release. There obviously was some deficit in the past ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf