Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD Review & Demonstration Thread  (Read 36287 times)

Mario123 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: SDS800X HD Review & Demonstration Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2024, 09:48:20 pm »
Hi,

Yes I can also confirm, SDS1000X HD (1G version) sure have internal HW RTC with battery backup (and I "believe" that 2G version also have hardware RTC).

It seems so (pic taken from the 1000X HD(2ndG) unboxing thread)...

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2024, 09:50:25 pm »
Duh, right, thank you! I had not remembered that post. Alright, so the lack of NTP is a non-issue for the larger model, as expected.

Maybe the RTC could be added to the list of SDS800X HD vs 1000 differences in the top post?

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2024, 10:31:36 pm »
...it get right time from network NTP server (when configure it, user need know suitable NTP server IP, instead of name)

That seems scary. Most of the time, the dhcp server will provide a NTP server as well... Can the scope use this ?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2024, 10:41:09 pm »
...it get right time from network NTP server (when configure it, user need know suitable NTP server IP, instead of name)

That seems scary. Most of the time, the dhcp server will provide a NTP server as well... Can the scope use this ?
NTP server URL's can be found in seconds, here's yours for France:
https://www.ntppool.org/en/zone/fr

For large countries with multiple time zones you also need specify your location in the scopes NTP menu.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2024, 11:01:21 pm »
For large countries with multiple time zones you also need specify your location in the scopes NTP menu.

That's not what i meant. I know where to find a ntp server. I even have one here.

The question was : do you really need to manually enter an IP ?

Most networks use DHCP for hosts to get an IP. And this same DHCP server that answers, can also provides some more information. And typically, it can provide a NTP server.

Here at least, this is the way almost all networks do.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2024, 11:15:46 pm »

That's not what i meant. I know where to find a ntp server. I even have one here.

The question was : do you really need to manually enter an IP ?
For the older SDS1*04X-E, yes.
800X HD is a continuation of this NTP functionality but with a different and updated touch UI where entering a URL via the virtual or an external keyboard is quicker and simpler.

For X-E, we setup the NTP for NZ in every unit we sell and we will be doing the same when 800X HD arrives.

Edit to add
Performa01 might like to show us use of the virtual keyboard.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 11:25:49 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2024, 05:17:59 am »
Currently, for now, System Settings/Time is like this. The IP address of the NTP server is entered there. What could be easier. One could get by with even less if you could enter it in hex but it accept it only decimal form.

Personally I would have left out those time zone name lists entirely. Instead, one parameter field where one can enter time difference +/- hh.mm relative to UTC. Every engineer or who have attended elementary school know how many hours the clocks in their area are in relation to UTC. If one don't know - back to school. However, now there is that list and we live with it :) ... How can someone, who doesn't know the offset to UTC, find the right one if their own city or state is not found there... (...censored... :D ).

In images below can see menu for configure System / Time

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 11:01:26 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline chillidog

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2024, 10:53:03 am »
The IP address of the NTP server is entered there. What could be easier.
Well... even easier would be not having to enter it at all, i.e., relying on DHCP. Of course, when no NTP option is presented, manual entry should still be possible. I suppose it's the same way with the IP address? If there's no DHCP on the network, one could still manually enter an IP address, right?
Chaos is the natural state of the universe. Order a mere illusion of man.

The following users thanked this post: orzel

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2024, 11:25:55 am »
If there's no DHCP on the network, one could still manually enter an IP address, right?

Yes.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2024, 05:29:24 pm »
Well... even easier would be not having to enter it at all, i.e., relying on DHCP.

That's even very easy. Those scope use linux, and very probably a common package for dhcpd, all of them defaulting to handle ntp... At worse, it's a one liner in some config file. I can do some "pro bono" consulting to help Siglent if they can't manage that !
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:19:51 pm by orzel »

Offline empeka

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2024, 05:58:57 pm »
I'm not an android expert, but I think that dhcpcd in android was deprecated many years ago in favor of... more android native java library, that does not seem to handle option 42.

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2024, 06:32:35 pm »
Personally I would have left out those time zone name lists entirely. Instead, one parameter field where one can enter time difference +/- hh.mm relative to UTC. Every engineer or who have attended elementary school know how many hours the clocks in their area are in relation to UTC. If one don't know - back to school. However, now there is that list and we live with it :) ... How can someone, who doesn't know the offset to UTC, find the right one if their own city or state is not found there... (...censored... :D ).

It is for automatic daylight saving. The rules for that varies all of the world. So you need to know the country or state.

Of course it happens that the politicians change the rules and your software gets outdated.

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2024, 07:19:17 pm »
I'm not an android expert, but I think that dhcpcd in android was deprecated many years ago in favor of... more android native

Hopefully those new siglent scopes wont be android, but linux as usual. That's not Rigol !  :palm: :box:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2024, 07:29:20 pm »
I'm not an android expert, but I think that dhcpcd in android was deprecated many years ago in favor of... more android native

Hopefully those new siglent scopes wont be android, but linux as usual.
Yep, Linux all the way to even the PC based SDS7000A.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline empeka

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2024, 07:49:25 pm »
Oh... I've sunk in hacking dho800 so deep in the last few days, that I almost forgot that there are other OSes :palm:
Well, it's good to be wrong sometimes;)

Online Performa01Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2024, 09:04:04 am »
The following content has been added:

Reply #5

1.   Deep Measurements
2.   Probe Bandwidth

The opening posting has been updated accordingly.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, 2N3055, Mortymore, myf, Martin72, chillidog

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2024, 09:10:38 am »
Thank you for the enormous effort you are putting in here - THIS is a review...

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055, Jacon, Mortymore, myf, BRZ.tech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2024, 03:40:01 pm »
The following content has been added:

Reply #3
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5293750/#msg5293750

2.   Measurement Histograms

Reply #6
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5293759/#msg5293759

1.   Poor Men’s Differential Probing
2.   Distortion measurements

The opening posting has been updated accordingly.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Martin72

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2024, 06:25:08 pm »
Performa01
I'm not impressed by the HF response step size the first 15ns; there is much undefined over and undershoot. The same behavior can also be seen on the SDS1000HD. Almost as if they use the same front-end design.

Can you also make a test on a 100Hz square wave input signal ? Some recent Siglent scopes also have problems with this (not showing a real square)

Thank you

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2024, 11:08:15 pm »
I'm not impressed by the HF response step size the first 15ns

Which screenshot are you referring to?

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2024, 07:33:18 am »
Performa01
I'm not impressed by the HF response step size the first 15ns; there is much undefined over and undershoot. The same behavior can also be seen on the SDS1000HD. Almost as if they use the same front-end design.

Can you also make a test on a 100Hz square wave input signal ? Some recent Siglent scopes also have problems with this (not showing a real square)

Thank you

SDS824X HD, 100Hz sqr from SDG1032X with normal 10x probe.
average for better see top and bottom line shape
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 07:36:41 am by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Orange

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2024, 07:58:04 am »
Performa01

Thank you

Why would they not share input design, when their specifications for inputs are pretty much the same...? Of course, they would only share 1MΩ input path design.

Are you referring to images with top part of signal zoomed in 20X ?
(Which by the way is something not many scopes can do, not to mention in this class.)

Your definition  of recent is very different from mine.  Problems with compensation were in scopes from 2017..  that is going on to 7 years now... there were 3 generations of new products released. Just saying...

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2024, 08:18:59 am »
Performa01

Thank you

Why would they not share input design, when their specifications for inputs are pretty much the same...? Of course, they would only share 1MΩ input path design.

Are you referring to images with top part of signal zoomed in 20X ?
(Which by the way is something not many scopes can do, not to mention in this class.)

Your definition  of recent is very different from mine.  Problems with compensation were in scopes from 2017..  that is going on to 7 years now... there were 3 generations of new products released. Just saying...
Picture SDS824X_HD_PR_1GSa is NOT zoomed in, and clearly shows strange strange aberrations, almost there is a reflected wave interfering with one of the internals...
A TDR or VNA  would shed some light on this to see what is going on. (at least on a SDS1000X HD this is possible, but outside the scope of this thread)

There is nothing wrong with sharing a good design, I did not imply this is a bad thing, just an observation, so no defense from your side is needed here.

As for the LF compensation in the front-end, Siglent does not have a good track record for this, specially on the low end scopes. I consider the SDS800 as a low end scope give the fact it has only a 7''  screen hence my curiosity for the LF distortion on this model.

Thanks Performa01 and RF-loop for the tests

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2024, 08:57:36 am »
I’ve demonstrated how the details of a pulse flat can be closely inspected without overloading the scope input by means of a proper zoom implementation and additional math to deal with noise. Yes, neither pulse generators nor oscilloscope frontends are 100% ideal, especially in terms of impedance matching. Because what we see in my screenshots are clearly reflections stemming from less than perfect impedance matching. On the other hand, small aberrations in the realm of 2.5 % (as in this case) are usually well accepted in the industry.

I’ve added a paragraph and a screenshot to the “Pulse Response” section in the opening posting to demonstrate a modified test setup for the occasions where we really need highest possible signal fidelity up to the fine details.

Absolutely no problem with a 100 Hz square when using the SDS800X HD (or any other contemporary Siglent DSO):

SDS824X_HD_PR_100Hz_Zoom

Also the claims about serious problems with the SDS1000X-E (at 10 Hz this time) could not be confirmed:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg5278090/#msg5278090
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 08:59:28 am by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: Orange

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2024, 09:16:01 am »
 Much better  HF pulse response now in the added test  :-+
LF distortion is also absent ;GOOD !

Thanks Performa01

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo