Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD Review & Demonstration Thread  (Read 37998 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD Review & Demonstration Thread
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2024, 11:30:52 am »

Dropout mostly implies completely missing signal or signal that drops out below defined threshold...
No, this is defined as a Runt.

Different potato ..  >:D

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2024, 11:34:02 am »
Please suspend all talk about Wfm/s rates from that table based on early FW.
It will need to be re-tested again...
When currently tested FW is released...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2024, 12:19:36 pm »
Is it a bug then?

Where did I said that.

I said that discussing a speed of FW that had changes in meantime is waste of time.
It is equally relevant like discussing how tall was I when I was 18 while buying a coat today.
Irrelevant.

It needs to remeasured and then yap away all you like...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2024, 12:43:29 pm »
Is it a bug then?

Where did I said that.

I said that discussing a speed of FW that had changes in meantime is waste of time.
It is equally relevant like discussing how tall was I when I was 18 while buying a coat today.
Irrelevant.

It needs to remeasured and then yap away all you like...

It is a simple question, that could have been answered with a word, no longer than two letters. And you did not answer it at all.   :o

You are provocateur, deliberately making inflamed pompous discussions..... Clickbait type of conversation.
I do not intent to participate.

I have a bad news for you.
In a short time there will be new FW.

That you will have to test all over again. Every. Single. Detail.
All of the stuff you did and said will mostly matter no more.

Have fun.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, RAPo

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2024, 02:11:12 pm »

Dropout mostly implies completely missing signal or signal that drops out below defined threshold...
No, this is defined as a Runt.

I've usually seen "runt" defined as a signal whose amplitude crosses a lower threshold twice in a row without crossing an upper threshold.  That is, a runt trigger requires defining a lower and an upper threshold (and optionally some other things, depending on the scope).

Again, maybe another terminology mismatch between manufacturers :)

Edit: very sorry (@ebastler) if this is in the wrong thread - so many SDS800X threads.  I promise to be better if it is :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 02:13:15 pm by pdenisowski »
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, 2N3055, BRZ.tech

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2024, 02:58:34 pm »
All you just could have done would be say "no", even if it wasnt true. Instead you are deceived by a wrong bias, still reading rudeness in almost every sentence i write. It seems that you did not really accepted my apology.

I'm not going to say "no" or "yes" just placate your ego's need to control my narative.
Even less I'm going to lie. Never, ever, even suggest that. Ever again.
I'm not going to lie even if I could materially gain from it.
It is called principles.

I answered "it doesn't matter, it is rendered irrelevant" because that is the answer.
Since modern digital scopes are based on FPGA cores, the Field Programmable Gate Arrays, it is possible for manufacturers to literally changed how hardware works. Significantly and fundamentally even.

To the point that it practically becomes a new revision of hardware, on logical level.

And since there was work done on hold-off in trigger, there were changes done on the very triggering.
Making previous measurement mere historic curiosity.

Until triggering is remeasured it is Tabula rasa to us. Complete mystery.
We.Simply.Don't.Know.
It might be slower than it was for all I know. Or faster. Or same. Or any other combination in-between.
If we knew exactly what was done, we could extrapolate educated guess.
But we don't know any details. So we don't know.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, KungFuJosh

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2024, 04:22:47 pm »
Can we move further discussion to the general SDS800X HD thread please? Let's try to keep the S/N ratio high here. Thanks!
+1
(Please)

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, newbrain, 2N3055, Bad_Driver

Offline Performa01Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2024, 04:27:50 pm »
Well, I don't want to unveil too many details about a still unreleased beta firmware, yet a decent hint shall be allowed...

You might have noticed that according to my review, the waveform update rate doesn't quite reach 120 kWfm/s, even though it is specified that way in the datasheet. People knowing me would not be surprised that this fact was in Siglents bug base the very next day.

This is just one of many bugs that have been addressed.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, 2N3055, pdenisowski, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2024, 07:11:52 am »
I just had a occasion, where the measurement could not keep up with a trigger rate of less than 166 times per second. Of 10 possible measurements, only 3 were measured/counted.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-bug-reports-firmware/msg5463370/#msg5463370

Is there any information about where the limit exactly lies?

It would be an idea to add this to the table in future measurement tests.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SDS800X HD Review & Demonstration Thread
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2024, 07:29:34 am »

SDS824X HD Trigger rate
What do the values in the third column mean? I just dont get it. Even after the next day. I only see a proportinal relation to the record length.

I have deleted my off-topic posts in here, and i suggest others to do the same.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 07:37:29 am by eTobey »
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, BRZ.tech

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
Re: SDS800X HD Review & Demonstration Thread
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2024, 08:22:44 am »
What do the values in the third column mean? I just dont get it. Even after the next day. I only see a proportinal relation to the record length.
What I see is the theoretical total number of points, which is the second column multiplied by the fourth column.
In fact, a frame of data is not just points on the screen, but also needs to search for trigger points, so the actual frame of data is more than the screen points.

I have deleted my off-topic posts in here, and i suggest others to do the same.
:-+

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 09:09:06 am by electronics hobbyist »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Performa01Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #286 on: Yesterday at 06:05:56 am »
Mask Test 2

Here’s another use case for the Mask Test: Power Line Monitoring. What I show is just a simulation, assuming a x100 Probe connected to an European 230V / 50 Hz power line.

In this case we need not draw the pass/fail-mask ourselves, but let it construct automatically from a reference waveform, i.e. a pure sine without distortions and interferences plus some tolerance.

Of course, I’ve exaggerated in this example and used very tight tolerances – I guess we would get lots of mask violations in a real world power grid. But then again, this is just a demo and tolerances can be tailored to the actual conditions and requirements.

We can configure the Mask Test in several ways; one of them would be to make a screenshot for every detected mask violation. We just need to plug in some USB-stick and configure the screenshot properly, e.g. PNG format into the SIGLENT folder on the flash drive.

After setting up the Mask Test, we can have the monitoring running as long as we desire – until the USB flash drive is full. With ~36 kB memory requirement per screenshot (for PNG) we can get lots of mask violations though – that is more than 110k screenshots per Gigabyte.

Here are a few example screenshots; the violations are marked in red:

SDS824X_HD_PNG_118

SDS824X_HD_PNG_119

SDS824X_HD_PNG_120

If we have set up date and time correctly, we can see the exact date/time of the occurrence in the bottom right corner in the screenshots.

Of course, for power supply monitoring tasks, we should operate the scope from an UPS to survive a power outage, but even without that all previous mask violations are still safely stored on the USB stick.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:07:32 am by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Jacon, Mortymore, Martin72, Bad_Driver

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf