Author Topic: Searching for AC+DC Power Analyzer recommendation (IT9121, GPM8310...)  (Read 512 times)

Offline MaTkEOxjCTopic starter

• Contributor
I'm currently looking around for a AC(+DC) Power Analyzer and I did not find that much stuff in the forum so far. Kinda suprising.

I'd like to play a bit arounnd with AC power supplies.
Look at Power Factor, Crest factor, harmonics standby consumption, PFC, Inrush current.
Would be nice to be able to do some compliance testing in the future (EN 61000 Harmonics, EN 50564 standby consumption).
Maybe some DC analysis.
A graphical UI with waveform display would be nice. USB & LAN interface should also be present.

I've found a few devices which are interesting and fit my 2k€ budget;
  • Itech IT9121 which is ~2000€ (IT9121E is €, but does not have the harmonics option)
  • GPM-8310 is 1438€ or 1545€ (later with Digital-IO option)
    The UI seems to be not fully intuitive and it cannot really measure inrush current apparently.
All prices with tax in Europe.

I also came across the Rohde & Schwarz HMC8015, but that's kinda above my budget.
Also they have some stuff locked behind software options which I dislike.

Just missed a Chroma 66205 on Ebay for 500€. This does not have a graphical UI but comes with a PC software.
New this ia also above my budget.

Has anyone one of the two devices and can tell me what they like/dislike about them?
Or some general thoughts? :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Have you considered a DSO with a Power Analysis option ?
Do you already have current and differential probes ?

SDS804X HD with PA option ~$700

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 08:02:23 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline MaTkEOxjCTopic starter

• Contributor
Have you considered a DSO with a Power Analysis option ?
Do you already have current and differential probes ?

Yes, I considered that. I've got a MSO5000 with power analysis option, but missing the probes.
(Micsig CP2100B 380€+ DP10007 200€, in total that's just shy of 600€)
This might be an attractive option regarding the inrush measurement.

While this gives some parameters, it's also seems rather limited. Not sure how well it can integrated regarding short bursts during standby.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
IMO you need explore your DSO's capabilities further and NEVER disregard what additional probing solutions can provide for other projects.
A DSO without current and differential probes is severely under equipped to extract its full capability.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
IMO you need explore your DSO's capabilities further and NEVER disregard what additional probing solutions can provide for other projects.
A DSO without current and differential probes is severely under equipped to extract its full capability.

Using that logic, I should start buying a lot more stuff for the home lab no matter if it will ever get used or not.   

Depending on your skill set, maybe even roll your own software/hardware.   Shown using some funk transformer and LEM sensor to measure the power. 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 11:10:10 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: Antonio90

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

Using that logic, I should start buying a lot more stuff for the home lab no matter if it will ever get used or not.   

Depending on your skill set, maybe even roll your own software/hardware.   
Yes of course, thee whom rolled his own HV probe, 30-06 caliber was it ?

Yet whatever we conjure up we also need characterize to know measurements taken with it are relatively accurate where if we are lucky enough to have someone nearby with similar gear we can compare gear to find its capabilities.
20+ years back in CRO days I played with LA battery desulfators, honing and improving them for better performance where the quality of the magnetics in use and driving them near to saturation provided great results but unquantifiable without a current probe even for the pedestrian 1kHz we were operating at.
By chance I had a TH PCB CT from an early SMPS and we shunted its output to obtain very similar results to a Tek P6022.
Used for some years but always yearned for something better until I could afford and justify a P6021 sourced from ePay ....and then another as they are hard to find at reasonable prices. Just a few years back a P6022 popped up which I grabbed as they are not so common.

When you have a need you make or buy........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Hawaka

• Regular Contributor
If you 10x-20x your budget ZES Zimmer is what you want. The LMG671 is a excellent device. An older LMG500 would also be good, but I have never seen one on ebay.

The HAMEG HM8115-2 or R&S HMC8015 might fit better your budget.

Scope probes are very valuable devices to have around, you will not regret expending in that direction. But if you want proper compliance testing I would recommend getting a device that can do it out of the box. Programming compliance tests is not easy if you want to do it properly.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
The problem with using an oscilloscope is that the accuracy at DC is typically in the 1% to 2% ballpark. Current probes also have an accuracy around 1% (or worse), a high noise floor and some offset as well. On top of that you'll need a deskew fixture to align the phase from the differential probe and the current probe. The GPM-8310 OTOH has a 0.1% accuracy. So it is easely 10 times more accurate AND it does the measurements out of the box.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 04:38:15 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
If I were to recommend something off the shelf, I would first want to know if they are interested in single phase only.  Then is a bench top solution what they are after, or do they need to take it into the field.   Do they need long term recording, transient capture, sample rate....   Too many details left out so you get my home made single phase setup.  ...   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf