Author Topic: Seeking understanding of what an LCR meter can measure beyond L, C, and R  (Read 2560 times)

Offline ballsystemlordTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
LCR meters will read a variety of additional parameters to just LCR.

For example, Conductance, Susceptance, and Admittance. These can be calculated by inputting the reciprocal of the resistance, reactance, and impedance. So would having a meter that would compute these parameters for you be of any advantage in real-world-usage?
Tequipment https://www.tequipment.net/lcr-meters-impedance-measurement-products/lcr-meters/ , in addition to several common parameters, lists Rdc and Rac as things that LCR meters can measure. But isn't Rac just Reactance? Isn't Rdc just resistance? Am I not understanding something, or are they just using different abbreviations for things?
Interestingly, (and not that I'd spend this much on a meter), but higher end meters, like this one https://www.tequipment.net/Instek/LCR-8201/LCR-Meters/ , don't list ESR as one of the parameters that they measure. Why? Is it just hidden somewhere deep inside of their manuals (I did search the datasheet. Not a mention of the word ESR.) or is ESR something that should be seen on separate lines, one for resistance, and the other for reactance and then we manually enter/compute what our circuit will do when exposed to a part with that reactance and resistance?

Thanks!

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
According to the datasheet you posted for the full-priced LCR-8201, it can display Cseries; Cparallel; AC Rseries; and AC Rparallel, among other parameters.
A maximum of four parameters can be displayed simultaneously.
"ESR" is merely a synonym for the series resistance in a series R-C model of a component, i.e. AC Rseries.
At a single frequency, any two-terminal capacitor-looking object can be modeled as either
Cseries in series with Rseries, or
Cparallel in parallel with Rparallel.
In the latter model, you may use the conductance Gparallel = 1 / Rparallel, at your convenience.
These units compute the displayed parameters from the inherent measurement of either R + jX or G + jB .
Elementary circuit theory discusses how these vary with frequency.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 07:01:20 pm by TimFox »

The following users thanked this post: ballsystemlord

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
HereĀ“s a pdf where all questions will be answered:

Agilent Impedance Measurement Handbook

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, edavid, TaylorD93, ballsystemlord

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
These units compute the displayed parameters from the inherent measurement of either R + jX or G + jB .

Actually the LCR measurement values are not R + jX but simply DUT voltage and current as vectors (digitized versions of magnitude and angle of sinusoids, with multiple samples taken, then sinusoid reconstructed), R +JX and all other parameters are computed from such!! 

Also a proper capacitance model should include ESL as well as ESR for a capacitor to help represent the series resonate effect, without such the "effective" capacitance can not change with frequency, and we know many types of capacitors do vary over their expected operating frequency range, thus the inclusion of ESL to represent such.

Best.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:12:38 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor

Actually the LCR measurement values are not R + jX but simply DUT voltage and current as vectors (digitized versions of magnitude and angle of sinusoids, with multiple samples taken, then sinusoid reconstructed), R +JX and all other parameters are computed from such!! 

Also a proper capacitance model should include ESL as well as ESR for a capacitor to help represent the series resonate effect, without such the "effective" capacitance can not change with frequency, and we know many types of capacitors do vary over their expected operating frequency range, thus the inclusion of ESL to represent such.

Best.

I got that upside-down.
With LCR meters using the basic mechanism of the GenRad Digibridges, the "low" end of the component connects to a virtual ground to measure the device current, while the "high" end is driven by a known value of AC voltage.
Using a phase-sensitive detector on the device current, and dividing by the voltage value gives the admittance Y = G + jB, where G comes from the "real" (in-phase) component and B comes from the "imaginary" (quadrature phase) component of the current, where the phase reference for the detector comes from the voltage.
That summarizes the actual measurement, but the built-in computation starts with these two values and applies appropriate calibration (including fixturing) to calculate the displayed values.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 04:16:47 pm by TimFox »

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
As some of the other posters have pointed out, modern, high(er) end LCR meters essentially measure the phase angle between voltage and current and calculate L, C, R, and related quantities from that phase shift.

A lot of the differentiation between LCR meters is in things like measurement frequency, measurement accuracy, bias, and additional functions like frequency sweeps, transformer measurements, binning, etc., as well as fixtures, interface, and ease of use.

It's really hard to go back to using a handheld LCR meter (and I've used most of them) after using a benchtop LCR meter :)

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

• Regular Contributor
I watched the 2 videos, and read the PDF up to the point where they describe the theory of operation of LCR meters. I now have more questions than I did before...

I didn't get one of my original questions answered. I know I wasn't clear enough on the ESR bit, but I thought I explained myself well enough on the others. I'll try rewriting them...

Is having the meter itself compute Conductance, Susceptance, and Admittance a useful feature you should pay extra for, or is it just handy once in a while?
Is Rac just another way of saying Xc/Xl (e.g. Marketing had the idea of calling it Rac), or is it some special other measurement?
Some higher end meters don't mention that they measure ESR, why?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:39:57 pm by ballsystemlord »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Hi,

Our sourcetronic LCR (and many others) also has no explicit parameter displayed as ESR, but measures it anyway.
And that is the parameter R.
This describes the real part of a complex resistor.
If you measure a capacitor and have R displayed, it is nothing else than ESR.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Hi,

Our sourcetronic LCR (and many others) also has no explicit parameter displayed as ESR, but measures it anyway.
And that is the parameter R.
This describes the real part of a complex resistor.
If you measure a capacitor and have R displayed, it is nothing else than ESR.

Be careful here, many LCR meters can display RP which is the Parallel Equivalent, where ESR is Equivalent Series Resistance, or Series Equivalent. Most lab grade LCR meters don't measure device parameters directly, they measure the DUT vector current and vector voltage across the DUT, then compute all the device parameters from such.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
Note that for a real capacitor with a reasonable Q value, the equivalent parallel and series resistances RP and RS are very different.

• Regular Contributor
Note that for a real capacitor with a reasonable Q value, the equivalent parallel and series resistances RP and RS are very different.
Which, of course, brings us to the question, what's the actual resistance if series and parallel produce such different results?
(It's probably academic, but it's still interesting.)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
The wrong question.
For the component ("capacitor"), the choice between series and parallel models depends on the circuit you are designing:
Typically, the series model is easier to calculate in a power-supply filter capacitor, but the parallel model is easier to calculate in an RLC parallel-resonant circuit.
For the guts of the device ("dielectric"), the basic physics is often better described with Q = 1/D, which is a somewhat weak function of frequency for many materials.
The component also has parasitic resistances (connections in series and leakage in parallel) packaged along with the dielectric.
At a fixed frequency, there is no difference in operation between the series and parallel models.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 03:19:05 pm by TimFox »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
aaaaaand  the serial or parallel DUT   can be impacted by all parts around it or are in the same circuit, it is not an absolute way to troubleshoot

Online jwet

• Frequent Contributor
These alternate inverted units are not just arithmetic - they can be more useful in certain ranges- for instance- if you were measuring 1 milli ohm and had three digits, would you like to see .001 ohms or 983 Siemens (or mhos in the day).  This used to be more important when units had fixed LED displays and hardware defined interfaces.  Make sure the instrument covers the range you need, this will make sure it can measure it.  In the above example, a modern unit might display 1.02 milli-ohm (the inverse of 983 mhos)

• Regular Contributor
Thanks, guys. That just leaves the last one:
Is Rac (Resistance AC) just another way of saying Xc/Xl (e.g. Marketing had the idea of calling it Rac), or is it some special other measurement?
(I give a link with examples in the OP.)

Unless  you have anything to add regarding the other 2:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/seeking-understanding-of-what-an-lcr-meter-can-measure-beyond-l-c-and-r/msg4883012/#msg4883012

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
Thanks, guys. That just leaves the last one:
Is Rac (Resistance AC) just another way of saying Xc/Xl (e.g. Marketing had the idea of calling it Rac), or is it some special other measurement?
(I give a link with examples in the OP.)

Unless  you have anything to add regarding the other 2:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/seeking-understanding-of-what-an-lcr-meter-can-measure-beyond-l-c-and-r/msg4883012/#msg4883012

Most of the high end LCR meters don't use the term Rac.  The usual term is Rs, which is the resistive part of the series equivalent model.  Rp is the resistive part of the parallel equivalent model.  Rac and Rs and ESR are the same thing.

Here is a list of what the Keysight E4980A can display.  The E4980A is a very high end LCR meter currently available from Keysight:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 12:29:58 am by The Electrician »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician

It was a few decades ago, but I had once learned that the impedance is the AC resistance.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Impedance is usually referred to as Z, and a complex number as R +jX, where X is the Reactance and + for Inductive and - for Capacitive. R of course is the Real part and Resistance.

Also note that X can not dissipate energy, only R can do this, so the "Loss" in an Impedance Z is solely due to the Real part R.

Best,
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 01:19:20 am by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf