Author Topic: Semiconductor PEAK testers  (Read 1600 times)

Offline rauldmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Semiconductor PEAK testers
« on: November 11, 2019, 06:40:34 pm »
I have two peak semiconductor testers, DCA75a and DCA55, I'm confused how DCA75 it works, I got a pair BJT's from fluorescent light, 1 is damaged, I upload a video where I tested with multimeter and two testers. DCA75 says component damaged is "right", is not detected like BTJ, DCA55 says is wrong.  I would get  comments about this...

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Semiconductor PEAK testers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 07:58:35 pm »
A damaged part that is not fully fused can behave odd, not like any common part. So depending on the tests used it may interpret is still some other part - likely with rather poor parameters. A broken transistor may still act as a diode or capacitor. Similar some odd parts (like very high gate threshold FETs or large (high trigger current) thyristors) may be identified wrong.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 08:09:21 pm »
You might find some help info and links here to Peak Atlas products:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/special-offer-to-eevblog-forum-members/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »
All of the automatic semiconductor tester have "recipes" to determine the component type.

For instance, to determine whether a device is a JFET or BJT or Mosfet, one shorts the base or gate against the the emitter or the source.
If the UUT shows a current, the recipe would say that it is a JFET, because a peculiar JFET characteristic is a significant IDSS value.

Now imagine that the UUT is indeed a BJT with lots of leakage. Then at the ICES test, the tester sees the current, and determines incorrectly that it is JFET.

Offline rauldmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 01:10:41 am »
Ok, but, is probably it happens because DCA75 it has more components variety? DCA55 says: "damaged component"

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 02:43:46 am »
It may also have to do with the auto detect function. The dca55 appears to require specific hookup and the 75 figures it out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf