Author Topic: Siglent SDM3055 DHCP & MAC Address Problem  (Read 1510 times)

Offline HengyTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SDM3055 DHCP & MAC Address Problem
« on: August 29, 2020, 04:16:01 pm »
I recently got a SDM3055, firmware v20R2.

I connected it to my network, and (wrongly so) assumed it would be set to DHCP enabled. After half a day of troubleshooting why my whole network suddenly didn't work, I disconnected every device, and added each one back one by one.

I figured out it was the SDM3055, and upon looking in the settings for LAN, I discovered it was not set to DHCP.

I pressed the button to enable it... and nothing. The setting stays at "OFF". I looked through the manual from Siglent's website, and the manual obviously has not been updated since the SDM3055 was released - it doesn't even list the Gateway option, let alone DHCP.

Ok, I'll get the MAC address and do it manually on my router. I can't find the MAC address anywhere in the settings. Not in LAN settings, and not in System Info.

Besides going to the hassle of connecting the SDM3055 directly to a computer and using an IP scanner to get the MAC address, does anyone know how to enable DHCP? or at least get the MAC address?

Thanks,

Hengy

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDM3055 DHCP & MAC Address Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 04:45:13 pm »
SCPI command:

:SYSTem:COMMunicate:LAN:MAC?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 04:58:43 pm »
SCPI command:

:SYSTem:COMMunicate:LAN:MAC?

Thanks. I am not very familiar with SCPI commands. I thought they were for communicating over LAN, but you suggest they can also be done via USB?

Hengy

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 05:07:41 pm »
Sure they can.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 07:34:17 pm »
I got it to work with the command you gave me. Thanks again!

After I did the command, I went back and tried the DHCP setting, and now it works! :wtf: Yet, when enabled, it still breaks my network. Only setting the SDM3055 to the static IP that I assigned it in the router will it work (so far)

Hengy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 07:41:48 pm »
I spoke too soon. The SDM3055 breaks my network no matter what setting I use.  :-//

USB will have to do.

Hengy

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 12:09:37 am »
...I discovered it was not set to DHCP.

I pressed the button to enable it... and nothing. The setting stays at "OFF"...

This behavior is not normal.
You have confirmed every change with done ?

My SDM3055 with the same firmware allows all these settings, it saves them and they are all executed properly.
Regardless of whether with DHCP or static ip, both work in my network. (Even if I always work with static ip with these devices).
Before a hardware defect is suspected, I would first try to see if the firmware (hopefully you had downloaded an error-free zip from a reputable source) is flashed again.

What do you mean by "The SDM3055 interrupts my network" exactly ?
What exactly happens to the network when the 3055 is in and on ?
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 01:17:31 pm »
Just what I wrote. When I pressed the button to toggle DHCP from OFF to ON, it would not change. Only after I did the SCPI command did it change. (Edit) Only after I did the SCPI command above was I then able to change it on the SDM3055.

The SDM3055 came pre-installed with 20R2.

When connected to my network, everything in between it and the main router before the modem - 3 switches, a mesh network used to bridge the internet connection wirelessly, 4 lab devices, 3 computers, 3 NAS, a printer, an AP, and all devices connected to the mesh network - looses internet connectivity, and even some LAN devices aren't accessible (NAS, networked printer).

I thought it might have been cause of the very different default IP address in my 192.168.xxx.xxx network. After I gave it a static IP, both in my router used for DHCP, and in the SDM3055. It even showed up in an IP scanner "Texas Instruments", and I could use it with EasyDMM. It seemed to work for a bit, but did end up breaking the network eventually.

I would consider myself advanced when It comes to networking... However, I do not have the time nor the patience to try and troubleshoot it. As far as I can tell, the SDM3055 works perfectly, and if I really need the ability to monitor it remotely, I can always try a separate ethernet to wifi bridge or something.

Hengy
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 02:18:11 pm by Hengy »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 02:50:03 pm »
After I gave it a static IP, both in my router used for DHCP, and in the SDM3055.

If using static and you give it a IP (example: .110) outside of the pool allowed for DHCP  (example: .1->100) it "can't break the network".

Once working, it must continue working.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf