Products > Test Equipment

Serial to usb on Kunkin KP184 electronic load

(1/35) > >>

cskilbeck:
I love my Kunkin KP184 electronic load and would like to control it via the serial port (or RS485, don't care which), but none of the adapters I've tried (FTDI, Prolific, all the usual suspects) work. Has anyone managed it or does anyone have any tips for troubleshooting? The serial port settings are very clear and I did once manage to get it working so I know it's possible but now I can't get it back. There's no information in the manual about voltage levels, but my understanding is that most of the adapters should work regardless of whether it's 5 or 12 or whatever. I would measure it but it only sends data in response to a modbus command, and I can't get it to talk.

Any help or tips very welcome.

Thanks

Manual is available on their product page: http://www.kunkin.com/gb/products.asp?id=2&menu=ShowDetail&P_Id=67

Noy:
Where did you get the software ? I have a KP184 but no Software.

cskilbeck:
I think there was a disk which came with it but I threw it away, the software which comes with these things is usually not great. There's some example code in the manual which explains the protocol and I did verify that it works when I had a serial port setup which worked, but I can't get the serial port to work any more.

Here's a very basic utility but I can't test it until I get the serial port working: https://github.com/cskilbeck/modbus/

Black Phoenix:

--- Quote from: cskilbeck on November 08, 2019, 05:40:44 pm ---I love my Kunkin KP184 electronic load and would like to control it via the serial port (or RS485, don't care which), but none of the adapters I've tried (FTDI, Prolific, all the usual suspects) work.

--- End quote ---

I'm still looking to find the equipment that doesn't work with this adapter:

I use one since 2005 (this is my second one since I lost my previous one, that were only Keyspan in the brand): From using with a Renishaw QC10 Ballbar System to Rollover Cisco Cables, from NSN MGW/MSS terminal connection to old measurement equipment, it never let me down, including Allen-Bradley/Siemens Simatic PLCs. It's based on the TI 75LV4737A Multichannel RS232 Line Driver/Receiver, so it have have HW handshake.

It's a little expensive compared with other models, but is probably the only one you will need for the rest of your professional life.

cskilbeck:
Thanks @Black Phoenix. Yikes! That is expensive. I'll give it one more go with a homegrown FTDI adapter -> 9 pin D plug and bite the bullet when that doesn't work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version