Author Topic: Seriously, why would anyone consider anything else than Rigol?  (Read 19269 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Seriously, why would anyone consider anything else than Rigol?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 04:18:19 pm »
If your number 1 reason is an oscilloscope with a toy look, then you can go for GW-Instek :)
I don't get why tools need to look good. It's not a fashion accessory.  Tools just need to get the job done in an efficient way. In fact, the shinier the tool, the shitier it usually is to work with.

I would normally agree with you on that.... but wow what an eye sore that thing is lol..  too much color clashing making it hard to look at; biggest detractor though would be all the empty space unused and wasted where that could have been given to screen size if not trying to do the 4 control alignment over the inputs
The remark about the form factor is a valid one but the picture is a rather old model. The newer GW Instek models have 16:9 displays with the knobs much closer together. But not that close that it becomes cumbersome to operate.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2020, 04:40:42 pm »
There is a polish shop you can ask for the price, they are cheaper then others : sos-electronics.
Others all have the same price i think because of illegal setting of prices.
Go for it.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2020, 05:18:23 pm »
I bought Rigol on Dave's recommendation. I came a gutser when the warranty expired together with the encoders.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:26:52 pm by bsfeechannel »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2020, 05:21:11 pm »
If your number 1 reason is an oscilloscope with a toy look, then you can go for GW-Instek :)

For sure, I need stable and bug free firmware.
Well, there is your number 1 reason not to choose for Rigol.  :palm:

I was going to say that you are exaggerating but then.... yikes

That's a terrible layout. The screen looks so small and cramped while the controls are so spaced apart. It looks bizarre

Given that modern scopes have added so much more information on their screens compared to traditional models, it is outright ridiculous that they attempt to keep the same screen size as the old ones.  Any modern scope should have the biggest screen that reasonably fits the front panel - anything less is simply not good enough!

Well, the high end has already gone that way. But that drives up the BOM cost to put in a bigger panel, so I wouldn't hold my breath on the bargain bin models following suit anytime soon.

Offline tomato

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2020, 05:24:20 pm »
Seriously, why would anyone consider anything else than Rigol?
Why would anyone consider anything other than a $10 voltmeter?

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry, martinot

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 05:46:05 pm »
Hi, it's time for a new 200 MHz oscillosope and I have a serious question, that is, I really don't know.
Why would I consider other brands than Rigol, if Rigol is good, time proven, and cheap?
Why woult it be worth to pay more to get a Rohde&Schwarz, GW Instek or something like that?

If you had some serious idea of what you wanted the scope to do (or not do) your question would have an answer.  There are countless threads here regarding the attributes, highlights and shortcomings of cheap scopes.  However, the way you asked your question and titled this thread is silly and ignorant.  Just because you can't imagine why someone would spend more money than the cheapest option doesn't mean there aren't perfectly good reasons to do so.  I'm guessing you are a ways off from even being able to understand those reasons, so stick around and read the other threads, perhaps you'll learn something.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: martinot

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 05:47:38 pm »
Why would anyone consider anything other than a $10 voltmeter?

Ignorant fanboys that just want that Fluke name badge, of course!  :-DD
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Alex P

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2020, 07:21:01 pm »
... Why would I consider other brands than Rigol, if Rigol is good, time proven, and cheap?
Why woult it be worth to pay more to get a Rohde&Schwarz, GW Instek or something like that?
I had a Rigol. Press a button, wait six seconds for something to happen. That way my Rigol got in the way of what I wanted to do so I sold it and got something better (yes, more expensive as well).

That's why.

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2020, 07:38:12 pm »
the controls are so spaced apart

Actually the controls are so spaced apart on purpose so the channel knobs are aligned with the input. IMHO that's a great feature.

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2020, 07:56:48 pm »

Actually the controls are so spaced apart on purpose so the channel knobs are aligned with the input. IMHO that's a great feature.

you mean it's great because of the symmetry aesthetics or is there another reason you like it?

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2020, 08:15:11 pm »

you mean it's great because of the symmetry aesthetics or is there another reason you like it?

Maybe not great aesthetically, but function wise makes a lot of sense

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 09:05:16 pm »
For sure, I need stable and bug free firmware.
Well, there is your number 1 reason not to choose for Rigol.  :palm:

Yep. Siglent hasn't had a single firmware update since release. That thing about mailing little packets of capacitors to people so they could solder them to the motherboard to fix things? We must have dreamed it...

Seriously though, the Rigol is sorted out now (and has been for quite a long time).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:07:16 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 09:08:17 pm »
... Why would I consider other brands than Rigol, if Rigol is good, time proven, and cheap?
I had a Rigol. Press a button, wait six seconds for something to happen

What thing was that?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 09:42:40 pm »
Siglent hasn't had a single firmware update since release.
::)
Talking out of your arse again Fungus ?  :bullshit:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 11:30:53 pm »
Siglent hasn't had a single firmware update since release.
::)
Talking out of your arse again Fungus ?  :bullshit:

tv84 and i have already chopped up a few patches to their SDS2k+ and SSA3k+ lines in the last few months.. whatever is latest released is where to expect firmware updates.. as their gear ages out then yeah they tend to drop off firmware updates, also some lines get way less love than their bread and butter items.. *cough* spd  :popcorn:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2020, 11:37:51 pm »
also some lines get way less love than their bread and butter items.. *cough* spd 
PM me with changes/improvements that need be made and I'll forward them on to the factory.
Do qualify them against the FW version installed.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2020, 12:04:30 am »
Hi, it's time for a new 200 MHz oscillosope and I have a serious question, that is, I really don't know.
Why would I consider other brands than Rigol, if Rigol is good, time proven, and cheap?

I'm trying to figure out why I'd buy the Rigol DS4024E for $2,400 when the Keysight DSX1204G with 200 MHz input bandwidth is $2,000 and gives me a signal generator I'd actually use.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2020, 12:22:38 am »
...that thing about mailing little packets of capacitors to people so they could solder them to the motherboard to fix things? We must have dreamed it...
I dreamed that? It seemed awfully real - more like a nightmare, I was that pissed off buyer...
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 02:08:38 am »
also some lines get way less love than their bread and butter items.. *cough* spd 
PM me with changes/improvements that need be made and I'll forward them on to the factory.

Nothing that others havent already complained about... it could use a bit more universal scpi especially around the linefeed sillyness.. it should accept either to match whatever terminal emulation is coming from the client; two its processing is slow as molasses to accept commands, some sort of queuing would be nice to be able to tell it i want x voltage with y current limit for duration x

And maybe thats more due to the hardware itself but maybe they could look at improving that whenever they release a new spd; would be nice if they offered something with more amperage like 0-10A per channel or stacked to make 1 20A

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2020, 02:32:10 am »

I'm trying to figure out why I'd buy the Rigol DS4024E for $2,400 when the Keysight DSX1204G with 200 MHz input bandwidth is $2,000 and gives me a signal generator I'd actually use.
I have a DS4014 that can be hacked to full 500MHz and the RP3500 probes are reasonably good. This model was plagued with bugs in its initial versions (reason why it gets quite a bad rap around here) but the last firmware is quite solid.

I don't have the Keysight, but I played with one during a demo visit at my company. It is responsive (their major benefit), super compact and light and is quite feature packed. However, I really disliked the wide screen with rectangular graticule (the Rigol has 14 square divisions), the small memory (the Rigol has up to 140Mpts, which I need for my work) and the somewhat cramped front panel (understandable given the small form factor, but the Rigol has independent controls).
If you live in North America, you can also check their clearance bin at https://www.rigolna.com/clearance/ - I got mine from there about five years ago and it came fully furnished with four new 500MHz probes.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2020, 05:28:33 am »

Maybe not great aesthetically, but function wise makes a lot of sense

Hmm, you are being too spartan with your words, I'm not getting what advantage it gives you over a bigger screen.

To me, something like the Waverunner is the tits. 15in display, controls on the side. Now if only someone made that in 4 channels, 100mhz for $1-2k...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2020, 09:13:25 am »

Nothing that others havent already complained about... it could use a bit more universal scpi especially around the linefeed sillyness.. it should accept either to match whatever terminal emulation is coming from the client; two its processing is slow as molasses to accept commands, some sort of queuing would be nice to be able to tell it i want x voltage with y current limit for duration x

And maybe thats more due to the hardware itself but maybe they could look at improving that whenever they release a new spd; would be nice if they offered something with more amperage like 0-10A per channel or stacked to make 1 20A
Document it all properly and I'll put it forward.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2020, 10:16:47 am »
Nothing in the Rigol range ticks my boxes.

I'd prefer a handheld.
Handle 240Vac
Have decent playback memory.
Screen that is visible in full sun
Screen that has a perfect backlight in full darkness
LiPo battery usb charge or at least AAs.
Minimal friggen buttons.  |O

:(

iratus parum formica

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2020, 11:27:52 am »
tv84 and i have already chopped up a few patches to their SDS2k+ and SSA3k+ lines in the last few months.. whatever is latest released is where to expect firmware updates.. as their gear ages out then yeah they tend to drop off firmware updates, also some lines get way less love than their bread and butter items.. *cough* spd  :popcorn:
In the end you don't get what you don't pay for. Even in China software engineers are expensive. If people continue to buy products with unfinished firmware (and even cheer if they get a bone thrown to them in form of a partial fix) nothing will change.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 11:38:36 am »
In the end you don't get what you don't pay for. Even in China software engineers are expensive. If people continue to buy products with unfinished firmware (and even cheer if they get a bone thrown to them in form of a partial fix) nothing will change.

Sure, but according to the resident Siglent salesmen the Siglent world is all perfect with rainbows and Unicorns. It isn't, it's just one step up from Rigol (with matching step in price).

You want bug-free devices, with telephone support? They ain't it.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, martinot

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf