Author Topic: Should my Rigol 1054z be reading voltage that isn't there?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline LektroiDTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
Should my Rigol 1054z be reading voltage that isn't there?
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:54:11 pm »
I have been trying to get the triggering working on two channels. I have followed the thread posted about this, but to no avail. Then I noticed it is showing voltage which isn't present. Nothing plugged in and just recalibrated.

I'll post pics of the spurious voltage and also the trigger delay (which only seems to work on one channel)...

Offline cyr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Should my Rigol 1054z be reading voltage that isn't there?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:02:21 pm »
A scope (especially a low-end one) is not a precision voltage instrument. You have it set a 1V/div or 8V total range and it only has about 200 steps of resolution. 40-80mV is just one or two steps at that setting. If you still show 40mV offset at say 20mv/div then you have a real problem.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Music here
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:47 pm »
So if that's quite normal, and not the cause of my triggering problem. Where should I look now?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:50:12 pm »
So if that's quite normal, and not the cause of my triggering problem. Where should I look now?

I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve with your delay-triggered measurement. According to your screenshot, you have set the scope to trigger when it sees
  - a positive edge on channel 1,
  - which is followed by a positive edge on channel two
  - within a time smaller than a certain threshold.
But you seem to have no signal applied to channel 2. So what are you trying to measure?

• Frequent Contributor
    • Music here
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:04:41 pm »

I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve with your delay-triggered measurement. According to your screenshot, you have set the scope to trigger when it sees
  - a positive edge on channel 1,
  - which is followed by a positive edge on channel two
  - within a time smaller than a certain threshold.
But you seem to have no signal applied to channel 2. So what are you trying to measure?

I see! So the delay trigger needs both signals present to work. Got it! I've only just jumped ship from analogue, so I'm still getting used to the differences. It appears everything is in order...

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:24:49 pm »
Ah, glad it works for you!  Yes, the modern digital scopes can be a bit overwhelming. I certainly have not tried all the options and settings in my DS1054Z yet...  The English manual (July 2014 seems to be the latest version) is actually quite decent, and worth a look.

Cheers, Juergen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf