Author Topic: siglent 100mhz  (Read 2472 times)

Offline alex77Topic starter

• Contributor
siglent 100mhz
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »
hello,

I'm new in this forum and certainly no expert in oscilloscopes.

I am a computer technician and I bought my first oscilloscope, a siglent 1102cnl (100mhz), a few months ago mainly for troubleshooting computer motherboards. I was surprised when by chance I realized that it could measure waveforms of nearly 170mhz (I still don't know its limits). the waveforms look very stable and the frequency shown is ok.
Is this kind of thing usual? should I buy a pair of 200mhz probes in order to try to get more from it?

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
Re: siglent 100mhz
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:01:58 pm »
100Mhz 'scope doesn't mean it stops dead at 100Mhz and won't display a 101Mhz signal.  It means generally that the analog input bandwidth is 100Mhz.  Once you get above that range, the quality of the displayed signal might suffer, might show the signal as a lower amplitude than it actually is, etc.
WIKI it...
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:10:42 pm »
hello,

I'm new in this forum and certainly no expert in oscilloscopes.

I am a computer technician and I bought my first oscilloscope, a siglent 1102cnl (100mhz), a few months ago mainly for troubleshooting computer motherboards. I was surprised when by chance I realized that it could measure waveforms of nearly 170mhz (I still don't know its limits). the waveforms look very stable and the frequency shown is ok.
Is this kind of thing usual? should I buy a pair of 200mhz probes in order to try to get more from it?

Of course it can.  It can trig and show over 400MHz.
But of course level drops lot of.

-3dB point is roughly around 150MHz (without probe)
-6dB point is roughly around 200MHz (without probe)
(measured with 50ohm external terminator what typically attenuate too much higher frequencies due to  mismatch becouse scope input + 50ohm terminator is not 50ohm impedance specially with higher frequencies.)

(with probe it is much more complicated and this is common thing, not Siglent thing. )

This is SDS1102CML frequency response. CNL model have same freq response, but of course individual scopes may have small differencies. Only markable difference is memory.

Here more.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline alex77Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 01:15:39 pm »

thanks a lot for your replies, I've learned a lot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf