Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E noisy fan replacement  (Read 994 times)

Offline Bob Sava

• Regular Contributor
Siglent SDS1104X-E noisy fan replacement
« on: May 12, 2018, 01:07:46 am »
For anyone contemplating fan replacement, here are specs of the fan used in SDS1104X-E:

Sleeve bearing, 60mm DFM6025S, 0.11A, 3300RPM, 17.41CFM, 2.56mH2O, 24.64dBm (yeah right  :-DD)

http://www.szdosense.com/eng/products-detail.asp?cpid=177

EDIT: as I was testing few replacement fans I realized that a lot of noise is from enclosure and vent holes, not the fan itself.  Well rated and reviewed Noisebreaker XR2 (15dBm) was still too noisy, and even 11dBm XR1, while totally silent outside, it can be heard once mounted.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:01:53 am by Bob Sava »

The following users thanked this post: 17_29bis

Offline TWMIV

• Contributor
Re: Siglent 1104X-E noisy fan replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 01:56:03 am »
Slap this in there and enjoy the silence then!
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a6x25-flx

This is something that I will probably hold off on until the factory warranty expires. The fan is quite loud though...

The following users thanked this post: 17_29bis

Offline Bob Sava

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 02:29:17 am »
I think two low RPM fans, one blowing (at PSU and Zynq) and other exhausting would be more optimal and pretty much silent.

As to warranty, from what I read, at least in USA, Siglent cannot invalidate warranty w/o proving it was caused by modification.  And, if scope has been running fine for months already the only thing I can think of that could break it are firmware upgrades.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 03:23:55 am »
As to warranty, from what I read, at least in USA, Siglent cannot invalidate warranty w/o proving it was caused by modification.  And, if scope has been running fine for months already the only thing I can think of that could break it are firmware upgrades.

I definitely regret not upgrading my Rigol fan sooner. If it's six months old then it's unlikely to fail due to hardware.

(unless you put in a completely unsuitable fan and it overheats, obviously)

Offline Bob Sava

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E noisy fan replacement
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 12:06:34 am »
I ended up installing two Noisebreaker XR1 fans, one blowing in, the other exhausting (pic).  I  also tried more powerful XR2, which is close to original fan in specs, but two were just too noisy and likely too much.  XR1 attach with no tools, with rubber mounts that came in the box (blue part in the pic) and piece of doublesided foam under blowing fan to keep it in from sliding up and down.

Two fan push-pull configuration seems to work well and is quiet.  I keep wondering why Siglent engineers did not put their single fan on the left side, instead of right, blowing air in - it makes a lot sense to have one on the left since PSU's heatsink, Zynq processor and ADCs are on that side.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:05:54 am by Bob Sava »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf