Author Topic: Siglent .ads firmware file format  (Read 175011 times)

rfindley and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gman76

• Contributor
Re: Siglent .ads firmware file format
« Reply #375 on: June 25, 2020, 05:36:57 pm »
tautech, thanks but Ive already followed the directions. The problem seems to be that the scope doesnt recognize the .cfg file I select and doesnt show the LOAD button on the LCD.  See the image in my last post.  Is it because I'm not on Version 1?  This scope shows 1.1.1.37.2.  How do I know its Version 1 vs Version 2.  The leading number is '1' on both scopes but I think the other scope successfully was updated to Version 2 (but shows 1.2.1.38.7).  Must be the 2nd number that designates Version 2. ??

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2020, 06:08:37 pm »
Must be the 2nd number that designates Version 2. ??

Correct.

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #377 on: June 25, 2020, 06:12:21 pm »
OK, thanks for the confirmation.  But why dont I see the LOAD button appear when I select the cfg file? 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #378 on: June 25, 2020, 07:53:15 pm »
tautech, thanks but Ive already followed the directions. The problem seems to be that the scope doesnt recognize the .cfg file I select and doesnt show the LOAD button on the LCD.  See the image in my last post.  Is it because I'm not on Version 1?  This scope shows 1.1.1.37.2.  How do I know its Version 1 vs Version 2.  The leading number is '1' on both scopes but I think the other scope successfully was updated to Version 2 (but shows 1.2.1.38.7).  Must be the 2nd number that designates Version 2. ??
Looking at your screenshot, you're working in the Save/Recall menu.
Long time since I had a 2k but now FW updates are done from a Upgrade menu within Utility. Check there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2020, 08:44:04 pm »
OK, I notice that now.  But I hit 'Update' then 'Configure' then the Save/Recall menu automatically opens.  I just thought it was looking for the cfg file, but maybe it's in a confused state.  I know I'm in a confused state!  ???

I'm following the V1 to V2 instructions exactly. Pages 1 and 2 show screenshots, but their's shows a LOAD option which I dont see on the LCD.  Their screenshot shows it as the Save/Recall menu.  Maybe I ought to reflash the existing fw.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: June 25, 2020, 09:04:00 pm »
OK, I notice that now.  But I hit 'Update' then 'Configure' then the Save/Recall menu automatically opens.  I just thought it was looking for the cfg file, but maybe it's in a confused state.  I know I'm in a confused state!  ???

I'm following the V1 to V2 instructions exactly. Pages 1 and 2 show screenshots, but their's shows a LOAD option which I dont see on the LCD.  Their screenshot shows it as the Save/Recall menu.  Maybe I ought to reflash the existing fw.
OK.
I suggest you load an early V1 version from way back when V2 just became available.
The FW revision History PDF attached might help with the selection of which version to install.

Then make your selection from the old website I linked earlier.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #381 on: June 25, 2020, 09:17:44 pm »
I tried an old file, but that won't work because no matter what, it never shows the LOAD softkey. 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #382 on: June 25, 2020, 09:24:10 pm »
I tried an old file, but that won't work because no matter what, it never shows the LOAD softkey.
OK, going back to your earlier post:
Set to a slow timebase where the memory depth is displayed. IIRC they were 35 MPts whereas V2 allows for 70 Mpts.
Maybe you can also see this in the Acquire menu where you select the mem depth.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #383 on: June 25, 2020, 10:33:17 pm »
Not sure I follow.  What does the memory depth or timebase have to do with the firmware update, insofar as getting it updated?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:46:39 pm by gman76 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: June 25, 2020, 10:48:49 pm »
Not sure I follow.  What does the memory depth or timebase have to do with the firmware update?
SDS2000 models with V1 FW had just 35 28 Mpts max mem depth IIRC. V2 allowed 70 Mpts it by allowing the system to access more memory.
This is easily checked in Acquire settings as to what is the max mem depth available and indicates if V1 or V2 FW is installed.

Relevant thread you need read:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000-new-v2-firmware/

Please note there are 4 steps to upgrade from V1 to V2 firmware, these are outlined in the update instructions that are part of the FW update.

First install a .cfg, then reboot.
Then the .ads file TWICE with a reboot after each install.
Finally a Self cal.

Attached is the pdf changelog.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:27:12 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #385 on: June 26, 2020, 05:26:25 pm »
Tautech, thanks - I checked both scopes. V2 scope can go to 70Mpts and V1 scope can do 14Mpts (not 35M, not 28M).  This seems to confirm ver2 vs ver1.

I noticed that the Utility screen has a 'back' softkey option on V2 and is missing that softkey on V1.  V1 never displays the 'Load' softkey, so it seems I can't even revert the fw.  Ugh.  But then I accidentally hit the Save/Recall button and changed one of the menus, then more softkeys appeared!  OMG.  Now I see the Load softkey.  Now we're getting somewhere.  I tried Utility>Configure> then menu popped up, pointed to .cfg file, hit Load softkey, and the scope does nothing, just beeps. WTH.

Is there some sort of master reset?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: June 26, 2020, 08:23:46 pm »
Tautech, thanks - I checked both scopes. V2 scope can go to 70Mpts and V1 scope can do 14Mpts (not 35M, not 28M).  This seems to confirm ver2 vs ver1.

I noticed that the Utility screen has a 'back' softkey option on V2 and is missing that softkey on V1.  V1 never displays the 'Load' softkey, so it seems I can't even revert the fw.  Ugh.  But then I accidentally hit the Save/Recall button and changed one of the menus, then more softkeys appeared!  OMG.  Now I see the Load softkey.  Now we're getting somewhere.  I tried Utility>Configure> then menu popped up, pointed to .cfg file, hit Load softkey, and the scope does nothing, just beeps. WTH.

Is there some sort of master reset?
From my quoted post from 2015:

First install a .cfg, then reboot.
Then the .ads file TWICE with a reboot after each install.
Finally a Self cal.

Step by step, follow this exactly ^^
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #387 on: June 26, 2020, 09:57:43 pm »
tautech, yes I know the steps but the scope doesn't behave as it should.  When I push in the universal knob to select the cfg file, it just beeps and does nothing else.  So, it seems I'm stuck.  Is there another method to use? Update over ethernet?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: June 26, 2020, 10:00:48 pm »
tautech, yes I know the steps but the scope doesn't behave as it should.  When I push in the universal knob to select the cfg file, it just beeps and does nothing else.  So, it seems I'm stuck.  Is there another method to use? Update over ethernet?
OK. What about the reboot ? How are you doing that ? Soft power button or hard OFF ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: June 27, 2020, 09:56:24 am »
Look at this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent_s-new-product-msosds2000-series/msg755017/#msg755017

I think you must press the "default" button to be able to load the .CFG.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:02:59 am by tv84 »

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #390 on: June 29, 2020, 07:34:23 pm »
I've done reboots, pwr down, unplugged AC cord.  No change in behavior.  The beep is telling me something but I dont know what.  The Load softkey is now there on the screen. Every time I select the cfg file, it just beeps.

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #391 on: June 29, 2020, 07:37:59 pm »
tv84, I tried that just now, hit default, even powered down before and after hitting Default, but no different.  Nothing seems to work.  It might be a matter of hitting the right button to put it in the proper state to program.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:01:08 pm by gman76 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #392 on: June 29, 2020, 08:13:22 pm »
tv84, I tried that just now, hit default, even powered down before and after hitting Default, but no different.  Nothing seems to work.  It might be a matter of hitting the right button to put it in the proper state to program.
Have you tried rolling back the firmware to early versions ?
Maybe the later versions closed the door on upgrading to V2 FW.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #393 on: June 29, 2020, 09:22:49 pm »
I can't roll back.  I tried, but the bottom line is that the scope doesn't do anything whether it's a cfg file or ads file.  It just beeps in both cases.

Attached are 2 cfg files that I tried.

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #394 on: June 29, 2020, 09:40:06 pm »
And this one.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: June 30, 2020, 08:26:18 am »
The 3rd one is a repetition.

These are the main differences of these .CFG files (in the attachment).

I never understood why the the 2000SIGLENT.cfg was released as it doesn't have the models references. Maybe it's a kind of reset. (I think that if you flash this file, the model references become the standard ones that are embedded in the app, which are similar to (ex.) "SDS210X").

In the end, the SDS2000.txt (which you called SDS2000_28R1.cfg) should be the more correct .CFG that SDS owners should flash.

Offline sjm

• Contributor
« Reply #396 on: July 05, 2020, 12:38:23 pm »

Attached is the proof of a Siglent SPD3303X-E conversion to a SPD3303X model.

ATTENTION: This may involve a certain risk so do it at your own responsability!

Enjoy!

Well, I confirm this worked for me. Finally got time to try this out. Thanks!

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #397 on: July 07, 2020, 06:03:59 pm »
OMG, how dumb. I'm on a corp network and the files were encrypted. Once I copied them over unencrypted, the firmware updated w/o problems.  Now running 1.2.2.1R9.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »
OMG, how dumb. I'm on a corp network and the files were encrypted. Once I copied them over unencrypted, the firmware updated w/o problems.  Now running 1.2.2.1R9.
:phew:  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: July 07, 2020, 09:00:21 pm »

:palm:  (Even so, don't understand the problem...) Well, it's done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf