Author Topic: Siglent .ads firmware file format  (Read 172048 times)

bbrand67 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent .ads firmware file format
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2018, 09:25:34 pm »
Siglent licenses usually can be seen inside a memdump of the equipment. No news there.

How to get the memdump?
In the ARM machines (linux), a simple "cp /dev/mem" to USB, usually does the trick.
In the Blackfin machines, it's also possible but may require JTAG or a patched .ADS, AFAIK.

How to find the (possible) licenses?
You need to have a general knowledge of the license format. One of the 2-types possible:

16-char lowercase (including numbers) or
16-char uppercase (including numbers)

( the upper/lowercase is equipment-dependent )

At the request of several people, to ease the search for those type of strings, I release here a small C# code snippet that processes the memdump file:

Code: [Select]
        private static void search_licenses()
        {
            byte[] buffer = System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(@"memdump.bin");

for (int j = 0, l = 0; j < 2; j++, l += 0x20)
            for (int i = 0, strStart = 0, strSize = 0; i < buffer.Length; i++)
                if (((buffer[i] < '2') || (buffer[i] > '9')) && ((buffer[i] < 'A' + l) || (buffer[i] > 'Z' + l)) && buffer[i] != ('L' + l) && buffer[i] != ('O' + l))
                {
                    if (strSize == 16)
                        Console.WriteLine("{0:X8} - {1}", strStart, Encoding.UTF8.GetString(buffer, strStart, strSize));
                    strSize = 0;
                    strStart = i + 1;
                }
                else strSize++;
        }

Of course, then you must use some common sense to filter/extract the ones that may seem valid.

If none of the strings works, bad luck (the most probable thing happening is that the text is concatenated with some other string/license! I leave that as homework. First, inspect both halfs of 32-char size strings... ;) ). Remember this is not a bulletproof process!

How to insert the licenses?
Equipments have the Options license insert menu. So, that's easy.
Most of them usually don't have the BW license insert menu.

In that case, you can use the SCPI command "MCBD" (MACHINE_BAND). Ex:

MCBD N2T7PQ29BPZJ7WB5

BEWARE that you may insert a BW license that corresponds to a lower BW than you currently have. If you know your other "bigger" license, no problem. But, if not, it's not safe to try unlock higher BW if you are not already in the lowest possible.

In some equipments the BW license is the contents of the bandwidth.txt file so you can also read/write it there manually.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:55:27 pm by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, MWisBest, dymbo, vtwin@cox.net, vt100, nicolasg, Simon_RL

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2018, 09:35:22 pm »
I can make the same trick here like when I was uploading LeCroy in to SDG1025
but who can try this and there may be the same check routine and instrument
will say "Not supported firmware, please reflash correct. Otherwise I will wait 15 min".
This is stupid, it will wait that time anyway before you can access flash menu...

So... do not be the first who is using this firmware file on SPD3303X-E
but this first hack may be needed to be tried out by someone.

SPD3303X-V100R001B01D02P03_with _E_header.zip
OK, I give this only individually after request. I can't test it.

A year ago nobody volunteered to confirm Janekivi's work so I resuscitated the challenge and was successfull!   :popcorn:

Attached is the proof of a Siglent SPD3303X-E conversion to a SPD3303X model.

The method is simple:

1. Run the SCPI command in the X-E to enable the 1mV step:

FACTORY ON

2. Using EasyPower flash the required FW file from the attached ZIP. (ConvertFromX-E)

(3. If you want to rollback, flash the other file.)

The FWs are Siglent official versions with Prod_ID's swapped like janekivi suggested.

The HW version of the board where the test was done is 0.3.

ATTENTION: This may involve a certain risk so do it at your own responsability!

Enjoy!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2018, 07:27:54 am »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline SaKhan

• Contributor
« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2018, 04:18:28 pm »
I am curious whether the precision of a hacked SPD3303X-E is similar to SPD3303X.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2018, 06:48:36 pm »
I am curious whether the precision of a hacked SPD3303X-E is similar to SPD3303X.

I think it is.  Even before the hack, my X-E would accept remote 1mA changes and show them through EasyPower.  It would also accept remote 1mV changes from EasyPower even though it would truncate the response.  However, the 1mA and 1mV changes were happening at the output terminals of the X-E even though the display was not being updated.  From what I could tell, the X-E is really an X minus the display digit.  So, if you were using the X-E purely through SCPI, you'd almost already have an X (except for the truncated mV command response)

The following users thanked this post: tautech, SaKhan

Offline SaKhan

• Contributor
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2018, 07:44:03 pm »

I think it is.  Even before the hack, my X-E would accept remote 1mA changes and show them through EasyPower.  It would also accept remote 1mV changes from EasyPower even though it would truncate the response.  However, the 1mA and 1mV changes were happening at the output terminals of the X-E even though the display was not being updated.  From what I could tell, the X-E is really an X minus the display digit.  So, if you were using the X-E purely through SCPI, you'd almost already have an X (except for the truncated mV command response)

Thanks for the info. I am planning to buy one and was trying to "justify" the price difference.

Offline kerouanton

• Regular Contributor
  • Just curious about science, radio etc.
    • Sometimes I play with radio
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2018, 08:50:37 pm »
The method is simple:

Confirmed working on mine. Thanks tv84, again!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:54:53 pm by kerouanton »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2018, 11:14:54 pm »
Here is a graph of the SPD3303X-E timer stepping through .100-.104mV in 1mV/5 second steps. 

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline vt100

• Contributor
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2018, 02:54:18 am »
Code: [Select]
        private static void search_licenses()
        {
            byte[] buffer = System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(@"memdump.bin");

for (int j = 0, l = 0; j < 2; j++, l += 0x20)
            for (int i = 0, strStart = 0, strSize = 0; i < buffer.Length; i++)
                if (((buffer[i] < '2') || (buffer[i] > '9')) && ((buffer[i] < 'A' + l) || (buffer[i] > 'Z' + l)) && buffer[i] != ('L' + l) && buffer[i] != ('O' + l))
                {
                    if (strSize == 16)
                        Console.WriteLine("{0:X8} - {1}", strStart, Encoding.UTF8.GetString(buffer, strStart, strSize));
                    strSize = 0;
                    strStart = i + 1;
                }
                else strSize++;
        }

A more comprehensive version of the key locator, based on tv84's code snippet above, has been posted to:

https://github.com/Siglent/FindKeys.git

This .NET Core 2.1 program will find keys when they span memory segment boundaries by extracting leftover segments of strings and concatenating them with other segments found elsewhere in the memory dump.

Based upon testing on 2 scopes, all 7 keys (50mhz, 70mhz, 100mhz, 200mhz, AWG, MSO and WIFI) were located 100% of the time in 1 pass.

Note this code only works for SDS1xxxX-E scopes currently, additional scopes will be added as they become available.

--
vt100
the world's best dumb terminal
vt100

The following users thanked this post: Taaning, Simon_RL

Offline kerouanton

• Regular Contributor
  • Just curious about science, radio etc.
    • Sometimes I play with radio
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2018, 08:27:08 am »
Nice. But I'm wondering how Siglent will react considering you created a "Siglent" account on Github to host this code!

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »
How to open a telnet session in a Siglent when the root password is unknown?

Use the following scripts, according to each equipment.

They provide a root session via port 10101.

Offline vt100

• Contributor
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2018, 02:03:50 am »
https://github.com/Siglent/TryKeys.git

TryKeys - a .NET Core 2.1 utility - Companion application to FindKeys

The purpose of this utility is to recover the valid keys you licensed with your scope but you lost the paperwork for and you do not remember the codes for.

First you generate a list of possible keys using the FindKeys utility. Edit the output of FindKeys to remove any keys which are not likely candidates (e.g. real life words). Then, execute this utility using that file as an input source.

Upon startup, the program reads the contents of "TryKeys.json" to configure various parameters needed for it to work. The options in this file and their purpose are as follows:

keyfile: The fully-qualified path to the list of keys you wish to try, e.g. "g:trykeys.txt"

scopeip: the IP address of the scope, needed for web and telnet access

port: the telnet port the program should connect to. Default '23'.

username: The telnet username. Default is "root".

password: The telnet password. Default is "eevblog"

bandwidth: Tells the program to not only attempt to find any missing option licenses, but also the maximum bandwidth license.

Theory of operation:

The program cycles through a list of keys contained in the key file. For option licenses, it issues the "license install" SCPI command through the web interface. It uses the telnet connection to determine if the option license file was created in /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0 after issuing the command. If the file exists, then the key used for the license install command was the 'correct' one.

For bandwidth licenses, the program determines the current bandwidth license key from the firmdata0 directory, and what that key is good for, by using the PRBD SCPI command. Then, it cycles through the keys, issuing the MCBD with they test key, and then re-examines the output of PRBD to determine if the bandwidth has changed. If so, it determines if the bandwidth increased -- in which case, it will check to see if the maximum bandwidth has been reached with the key. If the bandwidth decreased, then it re-issues the MCBD command to 're-install' the 'current' bandwidth license key so scope bandwidth will not decrease.

A log is dumped to the console. Upon program completion, the scope will be restarted if the bandwidth was changed. This is necessary for the new bandwidth to take effect. Finally, a summary of license keys located will be printed.

To execute from the command line: dotnet TryKeys.dll

Sample log file:

Execution starts @ 10/4/2018 8:58 PM
Scope Option 'AWG' not licensed, will seek key
Scope Option 'MSO' not licensed, will seek key
Scope Option 'WIFI' not licensed, will seek key
Scope bandwidth license key: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
We have 584 keys to try for 4 options
Scope bandwidth currently licensed: 50M of 200M
100M Bandwidth license key found: 1111111111111111
Maximum bandwidth (200M) license key found: 2222222222222222
Scope Option 'AWG' license key found: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Scope Option 'MSO' license key found: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Scope Option 'WIFI' license key found: WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Summary of License keys located:
200M bandwidth license key: 2222222222222222
AWG license key: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
MSO license key: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
WIFI license key: WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Rebooting scope to activate higher bandwidth license.

Execution ends @ 10/4/2018 9:03 PM

You can verify the presence of your recovered license keys on the scope's 'options' screen. You should print a copy of your recovered license keys and keep them in a safe place for future reference.

To revert the scope back to the previous bandwidth license, and to remove the optional licenses, you execute the following script after logging in via a telnet session as root:

mount -o remount,rw /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
rm /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/options*
cat VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV > /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/bandwidth.txt
(control-d)(control-d)
sync
reboot

This program has several dependencies you must install through the NuGet Package Manager. They are: Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration, Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.Json, Newtonsoft.Json, and Telnet (from 9swampy).

Note: at the moment this utility only supports the SDS1###X-E series of scopes, however, additional functionality will be added as details become available.

Special thanks to eevblog user tv84 who gave me tons of assistance during the development of this utility.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:09:49 pm by vt100 »
vt100

The following users thanked this post: hfleming, BillB, joeyjoejoe, edigi, Taaning, uargo, Simon_RL, douggoldberg, luudee, 7 of 9

Offline vt100

• Contributor
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2018, 03:13:09 am »
This process will obtain your license keys from a core dump of the scope application itself, in case you lost the paperwork after you purchased them (of course). No "guessing games" like the other software posted (although it was a fun intellectual exercise!)

Skill level: Easy/Moderate

Risk: Slim to none.

Assumptions: You know the root password to your scope.

Steps:

1. download full armv7l version of busybox which has core dump enabled.
    see: https://busybox.net/downloads/binaries/1.28.1-defconfig-multiarch/busybox-armv7l

2. put version on thumb disk

3. reboot scope to known state

4. telnet to scope and log in as root

5. insert usb stick

6. copy busybox binary from usb to /tmp:
    cp /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage0/U-disk/busybox-armv7l /tmp

7. unmount and remove usb
    umount /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0   
    (and then remove usb stick)

8. identify and kill existing sds1000b.app
    ps -ef | grep sds | awk  '{printf "kill -9 %s\n", $1}' | ash

9. change to /tmp directory:
    cd /tmp

10. launch new busybox ash shell
    /tmp/busybox_armv7l ash
   (when you press enter it looks like nothing happens, but something does)

11.  re-launch scope app in new busybox environment in background
      /usr/bin/siglent/sds1000b.app &

12. increase core dump ulimit to unlimited:
      ulimit -c unlimited
you can verify new limit by typing
      ulimit -c
and you should get a response "unlimited"

12. kill scope app again, telling OS to create a core dump of the app:
      ps -ef | grep sds | awk  '{printf "kill -ABRT %s\n", $1}' | ash

13. wait a few seconds, and press enter once or twice. you should see:
[1]+  Aborted (core dumped)      /usr/bin/siglent/sds1000b.app
if you do not, you did something wrong, go to step #3

14. verify core dump is in /tmp:
      ls /tmp/core*
you should see something like this:
-rw-------    1 root     root     377511936 Jan  1 00:14 /tmp/core
if not, you did something wrong, go to step #3

15. exit out of usb version of busybox shell
     exit
(it will look like nothing happens when you press enter, but, something does)

16. re-launch Siglent scope application. See Step #11

17. insert usb drive

18. copy core dump to thumb drive
     cp core /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/coredump.bin
(this will take a minute or two, its a big file)

19. unmount usb stick and remove (see step #7)

20. Insert USB stick on Windows/Mac/Linux and open the coredump.bin file in your favorite hex editor.

21. Search for string "SDS1000X-E". Keep searching until you find the string next to either your scopeid (if you do not know your scope id, you can get it using the SCPI SCOPEID? command thru the web interface) or your serial number.

22. When you locate the entry with your scope ID, you will see a series of 5 16-character strings below it (one will look like a 32 character string, split it into half so you have two 16-character strings. These are your 100, 200, 50 and 70 mhz license keys, respectively. The one that appears twice is the license key your scope is currently licensed under.

23. You can license a different bandwidth by typing MCBD (license key)  at the scope's SCPI web interface. It is necessary to reboot after you do this for everything to reset and take effect. You can verify the bandwidth by typing PRBD? through the SCPI web interface.

24. When you locate the entry with your serial number, you will see a series of (at least) 3 16-character strings. If you have any options already licensed, those keys will appear twice. if you have no options licensed, they only appear once. The keys are, respectively, AWG, WIFI and MSO.

25. You can license any options through the scope's SCPI interface using LCISL (option),(key) where (option) is AWG, WIFI or MSO and (key) is the 16-character key.

26. after doing so, even though the options are immediately licensed and active, I recommend a reboot for the new options to take effect.

27. Write keys down in a safe place so you do not lose them again.
vt100

The following users thanked this post: nicolad, cguareschi, Simon_RL

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2018, 04:01:00 pm »
Nice. But I'm wondering how Siglent will react considering you created a "Siglent" account on Github to host this code!

They keep always eye on us but have nothing to say...

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2018, 04:21:39 pm »
I think it's relatively smart.

I think the number of entities who would touch these unlocks (Rigol, Siglent, etc) are almost non-existent. Any university, lab, company or facility wouldn't go for the risks. Even outside of those requiring certifications.. I can't imagine the discussion.

Employee : "Hey boss, we need specs X on our scope...  we can save 300$ on by buying the cheaper model, and then just unlocking those features to meet our needs... but it won't be supported and there's a small risk that I brick the device.. or we can't get future updates..."
Manager/Exec : "So if that happens, we now have a scope that's either literally useless (bricked) or doesn't meet our minimum specs? ... why are you still here."

Hobbyists will accept the risk since they can personally accept any risk they want. And generally speaking, I think the companies are aware of the reach of these unlocks. A hobbyist who buys a 50MHz scope that can unlock to 100MHz probably wouldn't buy the 100 if he couldn't, so the actual impact on revenue would be small. However, at the same time, they are probably making sure that a 50MHz scope can't be unlocked to a 500MHz scope (ignoring hardware) as then it starts stepping on the toes of a product line.

Offline nicolad

« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2018, 09:30:05 pm »
How to open a telnet session in a Siglent when the root password is unknown?

Use the following scripts, according to each equipment.

They provide a root session via port 10101.

How do they work? Trying the one for SDG2000X but firmware update fails. Port 10101 is closed...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:32:18 pm by nicolad »

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2018, 12:38:56 am »
will say "Not supported firmware, please reflash correct. Otherwise I will wait 15 min".
This is stupid, it will wait that time anyway before you can access flash menu...

A year ago nobody volunteered to confirm Janekivi's work so I resuscitated the challenge and was successfull!   :popcorn:

The method is simple:

FACTORY ON

2. Using EasyPower flash the required FW file from the attached ZIP. (ConvertFromX-E)

The FWs are Siglent official versions with Prod_ID's swapped like janekivi suggested.

Enjoy!

Does the FACTORY ON have any feedback? Or after hitting "Query" it's OK that nothing is output?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2018, 12:48:47 am »

The method is simple:

FACTORY ON

Enjoy!

Does the FACTORY ON have any feedback?
Five not four digits on the PSU display.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2018, 12:51:39 am »
After FACTORY ON cmd is sent

PSU is no longer responsive via EasyPower - cannot do any sort of commands. Re-connecting to the device re-enables functionality.

Also, is this a "Normal Mode" FW update, or "Firmware mode"?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:56:20 am by joeyjoejoe »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2018, 01:24:54 am »
Reboot PSU.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: JohnG

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2018, 01:28:09 am »
Oh, so FACTORY ON is just some sort of factory defaults? Then a reboot, and a normal firmware flash with these files?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2018, 01:38:07 am »
Oh, so FACTORY ON is just some sort of factory defaults? Then a reboot, and a normal firmware flash with these files?
My notes show something like that.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: JohnG

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2018, 01:43:22 am »
Bingo! You have good notes ;)

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #223 on: October 13, 2018, 05:13:48 am »
Got a similar readout running FACTORY ON, but it was actually on every command because I had resintalled recently and didn't have the NI VISA drivers (and 18.0 work just as well as 5.4 as listed in the manual.....)

In any case, running factory on gave me no return information, but I flashed two hardware version 3.0 units, one with firmware that was so old it still had the screensaver, successfully to SPD3303X using the file and EasyPower.  Very easy to do, the hardest part was definitely installing the program and NI VISA drivers.

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #224 on: October 20, 2018, 11:27:19 am »
hi, I searched in the forum for a couple of hours but I didn't find anything.. where can I find a patched version of the latest firmware for a sds1104x-e with known telnet password?

thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf