Author Topic: Siglent EasyScopeX & SDS1204X-E  (Read 6366 times)

Offline daveykTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Siglent EasyScopeX & SDS1204X-E
« on: November 26, 2018, 04:51:13 pm »
I am using the USB cable.  My computer is Windows 7 Pro 32 bit (Yes, I need 32 bit verses 64 bit). 

Aglilent Connection expert see the scope and I can send the *ID command and get a response just fine.

When I try the Siglent EasyScopeX software, I add the scope.  That works just fine.  The when I try a screen capture, I get constant "Failed to Capture" errors.  If I try the Virtual Panel, I get "failed to capture".

Agilent Connection expert can no loner communicate with it, unless I un-plug the USB cable and plug it back in. 

As soon as Easy Scope connects with it, it seems to corrupt the connection.

I find this reason enough to return the scope the Saelig if this can not be resolved soon.   Siglent's site only has a general Contact us and not a tech support email connection, at least as far as I can find on the site.  I find this rather all sad and I think this scope had a lot of potential for me, even with the pulse width reference level limitations.

Dave

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent EasyScopeX & SDS1204X-E
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:16:20 pm »
I've downloaded the latest firmware 6.1.26 (Scope was calibrated in June, by Siglent, so it may have been behind).  The scope goes through the motions of upgrading the firmware without any errors.  When I go to the System Status menu. the scope reports a software version of 7.1.6.1.26, I find that confusing.   I now see the 6.1.26 as part of the software version, but the software document sheets just refer to it as 6.1.26.   Anyway, the software is up to date.

I am downloading visa512runtime.exe now to try.  I sure hope it doesn't f-up my other software setups, but I'm fairly good at fixing them other than it can be very time consuming re-installing Agilent that I primarily use and then getting it working with the Tektronix software; aeerggg, what  as mess - lol.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 05:22:13 pm »
Well that did no good.  apparently 512 is a lot older than what my system already uses.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 05:24:55 pm »
I finally found NI-VISA 18.0 on NI site.  When I searched for VISA, or NI-VIsa, nothing was found.  So all 750mb are downloading now.  Again, hopefully it doesn't mess up Agilent.

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 06:11:25 pm »
http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-run-time-engine/6647/en/
Try the runtime version. It is only 128mb.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 06:37:03 pm »
Why Easyscope ?  :-//

The inbuilt Webserver is a far better solution for remote connectivity.

Set up the scope IP to be within the limits of your router addresses and Save.
Point a browser tab to the scope IP address .......and yes, it's that simple. no other SW required.

Video:

https://youtu.be/Cxh_Liay09E
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:44:33 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:15:30 pm »
"Why Easyscope ?  :-//"

I just wanted an easy utility to get a a screen capture.  I'm also playing with the SDG2042X gen through USB.  It works fine in my software 90% of the time.  I am finding the USB connection corrupts sometimes and randomly at that.  I think I'm going to have to make up some network cables and see if these SIGLENT instruments are more reliable via a network connection than USB.  I will be very disappointing if they are unreliable with automatic testing software.

An Agilent 33250A, like I have always been using,  is >$5K new, or ~>$2K used for a reason.  I thought I could replace it in a ATS system with a $500 generator.  Oh fool me! lol.   Siglent does offer a lot of bang for the buck, but I am starting to be leary of their equipment.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:29:35 pm »
Another for instance for the SDG2042X...

About 3/4 of the way through an ATS, where I ask it it's current voltage setting, it starts replying with "STATE, gOFF"!   Urrrghhh!!

You can not directly ask a SDG2042X for its current output voltage, you must send it a "C1:BTWV?" command.  The response is a long return string that you must parse to get the voltage.  That's fine, but to all of a sudden start reporting "State Off", when it is still fully working otherwise.  This is fustrating as heck!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 09:35:36 pm »
"About 3/4 of the way through an ATS, where I ask it it's current voltage setting, it starts replying with "STATE, gOFF"!   Urrrghhh!!"

Never mind, that was stupidity, I guess on my part.  At that time in the software, the program turned off BURST mode and went with CW.  That is why the burst command returned "State Off".

Okay, a simple Whats the current voltage output setting command would have prevented that.  I go my programmed fixed.

Dave

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 10:18:38 pm »
"Why Easyscope ?  :-//"

I just wanted an easy utility to get a a screen capture.
It's in the Webserver and you can nominate the folder it's saved to.......spend some time there and learn the features and how to use them.
About csv saves in the Webserver.... currently bin file saves are supported and there's an inbuilt utility to download to PC so to convert bin's to csv. Works great.  :)
IIRC it's the middle button of 3 in the scope control panel.

https://youtu.be/Az5aySpSgoI
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:31:24 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 10:37:49 pm »
"About 3/4 of the way through an ATS, where I ask it it's current voltage setting, it starts replying with "STATE, gOFF"!   Urrrghhh!!"

Never mind, that was stupidity, I guess on my part.  At that time in the software, the program turned off BURST mode and went with CW.  That is why the burst command returned "State Off".

Okay, a simple Whats the current voltage output setting command would have prevented that.  I go my programmed fixed.

Dave
Another set of tools you might find useful:

https://youtu.be/c6IZMStyuo4
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 10:21:20 pm »
Cool, they "do listen to their customers".... so where is the ability to set the reference levels for pulse width measurement?   I asked them for that about a year ago.  Right now, they are fixed at 50%.  It does show 50%, as if a tease that I could change that, but if you can, I can't figure out how.  I still recently bought the 4 channel 200MHz SDS1204X-E to see if I can adapt it to my tests software over time.  I am hoping they will give me the ability to change the pulse width references at some point, but if I can read the trace data, reliably with voltage and time data, I can probably calculate pulser width at any reference level I want, but it would be so much easier to have that feature in the scope.

Also, I found one bug. The control through USB/GPIB to change the external trigger from POS (Rise) to NEG (Fall), does not work as in the programmer's manual, or at all from what I can tell.  I did report the problem to Jason Chunko, via email.

I will be making some network cables up soon to test this.  The USB interface works, but is very unreliable, at least on my computer.

Dave

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 08:34:24 am »
Cool, they "do listen to their customers".... so where is the ability to set the reference levels for pulse width measurement?   I asked them for that about a year ago.  Right now, they are fixed at 50%.  It does show 50%, as if a tease that I could change that, but if you can, I can't figure out how.  I still recently bought the 4 channel 200MHz SDS1204X-E to see if I can adapt it to my tests software over time.  I am hoping they will give me the ability to change the pulse width references at some point, but if I can read the trace data, reliably with voltage and time data, I can probably calculate pulser width at any reference level I want, but it would be so much easier to have that feature in the scope.
Trust me I've asked for this ^.
I too don't see the benefit in the current T@L measurement setup and have asked to have it changed so it works like your Tek where the time across a pulse can be measured at any level of amplitude.

Also, I found one bug. The control through USB/GPIB to change the external trigger from POS (Rise) to NEG (Fall), does not work as in the programmer's manual, or at all from what I can tell.  I did report the problem to Jason Chunko, via email.
Thanks, he'll see it reaches the right place.

I will be making some network cables up soon to test this.  The USB interface works, but is very unreliable, at least on my computer.
TBH I haven't spent any time with EasyScopeX and the 4ch X-E as the Webrowser offers more and better features however I'll have a look at EasyScope next rainy day.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 02:59:42 pm »
"Quote
TBH I haven't spent any time with EasyScopeX and the 4ch X-E as the Webrowser offers more and better features however I'll have a look at EasyScope next rainy day."

Thank you.  I just don't feel like making the net cables up.  It is so hard for me.  i have the connectors and tools, but I suck at it.  I have several new D-LINK DGS-1005D switches/hubs.  I found them in sealed boxes in the dumpsters at my old company before their doors shuttered earlier this year [gee Trump never answered any of our emails or calls for help when we were closed down and our manufacturing moved to Ireland] (amazing what all was being tossed in recycling).  I dunno, maybe I'll head out to Goodwill tonight.  There is always network cables on their shelves for 50 cents - $1 each, if I don't make them - lol.

Dave

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 05:10:08 am »
"Quote
TBH I haven't spent any time with EasyScopeX and the 4ch X-E as the Webrowser offers more and better features however I'll have a look at EasyScope next rainy day."

Thank you.  I just don't feel like making the net cables up.  It is so hard for me.  i have the connectors and tools, but I suck at it.  I have several new D-LINK DGS-1005D switches/hubs.  I found them in sealed boxes in the dumpsters at my old company before their doors shuttered earlier this year [gee Trump never answered any of our emails or calls for help when we were closed down and our manufacturing moved to Ireland] (amazing what all was being tossed in recycling).  I dunno, maybe I'll head out to Goodwill tonight.  There is always network cables on their shelves for 50 cents - $1 each, if I don't make them - lol.

Dave
OK, run some checks of EasyScope X Version 20 with a USB connection and it seems to work just  fine on my W10 64 bit box......much better than when I last tried it and with some new features too !
I'll leave it connected for a while too just to check it's not dropping out like you've experienced.

Edit
Yes bug in EasyScopeX Waveform Auto Refresh....scope freezes in Stop mode, press Run to recover.
Work around: Select Auto Refresh before selecting channel/s.
Reported.
/Edit

Can you check if you have at least Microsoft NET framework 3.5 SP1 installed as it's one of the other requirements listed in the install guide.
Oh, and if you can check which USB driver is being used for the connection to the Siglent scope....it should be something like: "C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\IVI USB3 Staging\ausbtmc.inf"

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:01:32 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 03:44:27 am »
Another for instance for the SDG2042X...

About 3/4 of the way through an ATS, where I ask it it's current voltage setting, it starts replying with "STATE, gOFF"!   Urrrghhh!!

You can not directly ask a SDG2042X for its current output voltage, you must send it a "C1:BTWV?" command.  The response is a long return string that you must parse to get the voltage.  That's fine, but to all of a sudden start reporting "State Off", when it is still fully working otherwise.  This is fustrating as heck!

Late reply, but this should work

"C1:BTWV? AMP" It should return with only the amplitude

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf