Author Topic: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X  (Read 383784 times)

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent NEW Bench DMM SDM3055
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2015, 06:28:42 am »
Anyone have any news on when an updated firmware might be released for the SDM3055?  The last update was September I believe.
Looking through my emails of a couple of weeks ago, Jexy from Siglent said ~ 1 month, so hopefully before Xmas.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2015, 07:56:41 am »
I don't see the similarity

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2015, 08:04:11 am »
There is a fellow back on page one that does..... ::)

Offline ElektronikLabor

• Regular Contributor
    • YouTube: ElektronikLabor
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2015, 08:08:35 am »
I don't see the similarity
I'm shocked, that Keysight imitate other gear in a such bluntly way  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:53:27 am by medvedev »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2015, 08:52:57 am »
There is a fellow back on page one that does..... ::)
:-DD
One's a 6 1/2 digit meter and obviously trying to gain advantage with a take off of the Siglent name.  :)
Couldn't stand the heat and changed their name to Key...something I heard.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2015, 12:49:26 pm »
They missed the 3A input :)

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »
The Siglent is not a truevolt, maybe a fake one.  :-DD :-DD

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2015, 01:31:55 pm »
Also a side by side board comparison will show something.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2015, 05:47:42 am »
Also a side by side board comparison will show something.
Pics and links to do this are available earlier in this thread in this post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg637615/#msg637615
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2015, 08:08:55 pm »
I was on the fence between a used 34401a and the SDM3055.  I really wanted a 34461a but I could not find a used one and spending >1K was not going to happen as this is just a hobby for me.  I dont need 6.5 digits or .0035% DC accuracy but that screen and the math functions are a real selling point.   After seeing how Siglent has been actively addressing the firmware bugs and making improvements (especially to the display speed), I put my order in yesterday.  I also want to thank those who have taken the time to do video reviews and updates as I found them very helpful and also directly responsible for making up my mind.   Keep up the good work!

Damon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2015, 08:18:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

It would be good if you could post your findings once you have it for others to see, good or bad it doesn't matter, feedback is how products are improved.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2015, 10:38:58 pm »
I cant remember if I have asked these questions before on the forum but I do know that I did ask them at one point.

Does anybody know whether the user software applies a time stamp to logged events, the unit itself does not have a real time clock but does the software incorporate and apply one to recordings, also the user manual refers to 1,000 logged events yet the remote manual makes reference to 10,000 and are these saved in memory after a restart or lost for good.

Thanks

Edit: I found this post in reference to time stamps.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdm3055-multimeter-scpi-commands-and-python/msg733179/#msg733179

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:09:17 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2015, 10:24:47 pm »
UPS just showed up with my new meter (after getting lost for a few days).  Question, Should the meter rattle, like there's a match box hot wheels car surprise inside the box?  :palm:

First call to the vendor, they want to make a claim with UPS, but the boxes look decent.  I suspect from the sounds the voltage reference screw and shield worked its way loose and is flopping around.  It would have been nice if the vendor (us based vendor) would have immediately issued a call tag and new meter next day air.  I let the rep hear the rattle, took video and photos of the still factory wrapped box clunking.  May be a simple fix, but who knows if any other components have been damaged internally.  I prefer not to break any seals and just get a new one.

Video;
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:29:32 pm by kj7e »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2015, 10:36:35 pm »
UPS just showed up with my new meter (after getting lost for a few days).  Question, Should the meter rattle, like there's a match box hot wheels car surprise inside the box?  :palm:

First call to the vendor, they want to make a claim with UPS, but the boxes look decent.  I suspect from the sounds the voltage reference screw and shield worked its way loose and is flopping around.  It would have been nice if the vendor (us based vendor) would have immediately issued a call tag and new meter next day air.  I let the rep hear the rattle, took video and photos of the still factory wrapped box clunking.  May be a simple fix, but who knows if any other components have been damaged internally.  I prefer not to break any seals and just get a new one.
Shite, that's not on.  :rant:
For the life of me I can't think what that might be other than a lead that has come off.  :-//
Checked my images in Reply #15 for clues, and maybe it's the Ali cover on the input stages on the main PCB.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg637615/#msg637615

If it is, DON'T power it up.

After watching the vid, yep sounds like that Ali cover.

I'll link your post to Siglent America.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:45:00 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2015, 10:45:13 pm »
Yeah, I suspect its the aluminum cover, its got that kind of sound to it.  No, I'm not even going to unwrap it.  Who knows what it been beating up internally.  Id just like a replacement.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »
Yeah, I suspect its the aluminum cover, its got that kind of sound to it.  No, I'm not even going to unwrap it.  Who knows what it been beating up internally.  Id just like a replacement.
Not sure if Steve will reply to this tonight, but at least he knows about it now and should monitor how his vendor makes good for you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2015, 10:53:59 pm »
That's a shocker..... :o

You are damned lucky that it didn't simply wedge itself in a position so as not to make a rattle and not be discovered until power up.... :phew:

Don't turn it on, shake the shit out of it..... :rant:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:05:46 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2015, 11:04:22 pm »
I called back the vendor to infer it was not damaged in shipping, rather its a defective unit.  The CS Rep called Steve but there was no answer, she was going to email him and ask how to best proceed.   Im sure it will be resolved, I'm Just a bit disappointed, you know, like a kid at Christmas only to find out its not gift he has been wishing for.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2015, 11:06:46 pm »
That's a shocker..... :o

You are damned lucky that it didn't simply wedge itself in a position so as not to make a rattle and not be discovered until power up.... :phew:

Don't turn it on, shake the shit out of it..... :rant:
What's worse Pete, this is a terrible first impression.  :scared:
Answers must be found as to why this occurred. QA looks like they missed this.  |O

I called back the vendor to infer it was not damaged in shipping, rather its a defective unit.  The CS Rep called Steve but there was no answer, she was going to email him and ask how to best proceed.   Im sure it will be resolved, I'm Just a bit disappointed, you know, like a kid at Christmas only to find out its not gift he has been wishing for.
Steve will have finished for the day now, it's after 6 pm in Ohio.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Siglent America

« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2015, 01:22:20 pm »

Good morning,
Our policy at Siglent America is that if a unit arrives with a problem (not related to shipping damage) or develops one within the first 30 days then the distributor should send the customer a replacement unit. No one called or emailed me about this.

Please go back to your distributor and tell them this - they should know this already and have them call me directly. If they do not take care of you properly then please contact me directly at 877.515.5551 and I will see that you are taken care of.
I will also forward this email to the distributor myself.

Thank you.
Steve

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2015, 02:45:46 pm »
Thank you Steve! I had the name wrong, it was Scott the CS rep tried to contact.  I will contact the CS Rep this morning again.  As much as I'd like to place the blame on UPS, it does not appear to be shipping damage.

Edit: Update,
The vendor sent me a UPS call tag and I should have a new replacement mid next week.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:32:22 am by kj7e »

Offline ShreveCC

• Contributor
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2015, 11:41:46 pm »
Not an exact copy or clone, but can you at least see the inspiration for the Siglent team? 

I was drooling on the Agilent meter when you reviewed it, however at the $1000+ for my "hobby"-  as my wife views it -.... ahhh....

:scared: the wife would have made a "single trigger" shot for my balls.  It was much easy to budget and sell the wife on the SDM3055. 

It also seem to me; that I am one of the few that actual love working with this meter.  Yes its true... its still not an Aglient which has years of refinement in building test equipment.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:54:01 pm by ShreveCC »
Complexity is simple; when you have a complex mind - Just adjust your Sample Rate for others to measure your thoughts clearly.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2015, 01:41:08 am »
I know Dave had been debating doing a tear down on his SDM3055 since there where several others already.  He posted one today;

http://www.eevblog.com/2015/12/12/eevblog-829-siglent-sdm3055-bench-multimeter-teardown/

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2015, 04:28:44 pm »
Had a chance to play with the replacement meter last night and this morning.  Came with 11r1 FW, updated it to 15r1 first thing.  Initial impressions are quite good, but I wish I could adjust the display contrast some.  Mine seems too bright and the black background is a bit washed out and grayish.  Good visibility at side viewing angles however.

Some other initial thoughts;
- The bar-graph is too slow and slows down the display readout when active, so this function is not really useful as is.  I like really fast bar meters to emulate an analog needle.
- The fast/med/slow display rate is about perfect for me with the 15R1 FW (as long as the bar-graph is disabled, see above)
- The Ethernet icon should disappear if your disable the LAN in the I/O settings.
- Love the trend chart and histogram, will need to play this this more today.
- Very good overall feel/look, great buttons.  Intuitive layout and UI (Agilent did a good job here).
- DC accuracy is good, well within spec but reads ever so slightly low (~20uV on the 20V scale, or 2 counts out) compared to my voltage ref and Fluke 189 (which agrees with my voltage ref).

AD584LH Ref          SDM3055
2.49986                 2.4997
5.00151                 5.0013
7.50077                 7.500[56]
10.00201               10.0018

At 20deg C, meter powered on overnight.

Only had a short time to play with it, will update if I find anything else later.  So far I like it.

*** Edit: Update ***
I take back what I said about the washed out and grayish display, turns out its not due to too much brightness or lack of contrast. On the standard numeric display, the background is a dark gray and not black.  On the trend chart the background is black and you can see the dark gray bordering the trend chart box.

The slight error in DC accuracy was due to the temperature drift in my reference.  I played with cooling and warming the reference and can see the drift plain as day on the trend chart.  Once at the cal temp, the meter is spot on.

I have not tested the continuity speed on older FW, but on 15R1 the continuity beep is very fast.  I suspect the continuity speed was also improved with the display speed on the new FW.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:19:14 pm by kj7e »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2015, 07:06:14 pm »
Had a chance to play with the replacement meter last night and this morning.  Came with 11r1 FW, updated it to 15r1 first thing.  Initial impressions are quite good, but I wish I could adjust the display contrast some.  Mine seems too bright and the black background is a bit washed out and grayish.  Good visibility at side viewing angles however.

Some other initial thoughts;
- The bar-graph is too slow and slows down the display readout when active, so this function is not really useful as is.  I like really fast bar meters to emulate an analog needle.
- The fast/med/slow display rate is about perfect for me with the 15R1 FW (as long as the bar-graph is disabled, see above)
- The Ethernet icon should disappear if your disable the LAN in the I/O settings.
- Love the trend chart and histogram, will need to play this this more today.
- Very good overall feel/look, great buttons.  Intuitive layout and UI (Agilent did a good job here).
- DC accuracy is good, well within spec but reads ever so slightly low (~20uV on the 20V scale, or 2 counts out) compared to my voltage ref and Fluke 189 (which agrees with my voltage ref).

AD584LH Ref          SDM3055
2.49986                 2.4997
5.00151                 5.0013
7.50077                 7.500[56]
10.00201               10.0018

At 20deg C, meter powered on overnight.

Only had a short time to play with it, will update if I find anything else later.  So far I like it.
Good to hear you got the replacement unit quickly.

Re the LAN indicator.
Yes, it's on all the time.
Did you see part of it shows red but when connected to a LAN this indicator then assumes just one colour?
This active LAN indicator is a recent addition to all Siglent LAN capable products.

Now, at a glance one can identify if you have an active LAN connection or not, and one might wonder why you'd want to turn off ALL indication of the instrument's LAN connection state?

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf