Author Topic: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X  (Read 383583 times)

Offline Pieh0

• Contributor
Re: Siglent NEW Bench DMM SDM3055
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2015, 04:44:43 pm »
Well P12 didn't fix it, not sure about downgrading the firmware, wouldn't have thought it would be a problem but i'm not going to try it unless Siglent says it's ok.

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2015, 08:32:08 pm »
Well P12 didn't fix it, not sure about downgrading the firmware, wouldn't have thought it would be a problem but i'm not going to try it unless Siglent says it's ok.
Have you tried to run the transisition file again?

Siglent have a 3 year warranty for these, modify your profile with your country flag so we can suggest local support for you if required.

You can also contact Siglent directly via this thread or the links in it:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2015, 02:37:10 am »

Dear Pieh0,
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry for your situation, But we can not duplicate the problem. Maybe you can try to update Siglent Configure file.
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline Pieh0

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2015, 09:42:02 pm »
Just tried that file, doesn't seem to have fixed the boot logo image :/.

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
  • Computer Engineering Student
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2015, 05:38:41 am »
I'm having trouble getting the configuration file to load on boot up. I set the meter to how I like it, for example showing statistics and a bar graph, save it as .xml, load it, then put the meter to "power on: last". The manual says the configuration is effective after a restart but it's not. It just loads into dc voltage without statistics and a bar graph. I can go to 'recall' and load the file and the statistics and bar graph will be there but that defeats the purpose of a "power on last". The manual says the meter defaults to dc voltage on power up so what's the point of "power on last" if it deletes the interface settings? What I'm trying to do is possible right?

I store the files on the internal storage. Just to add, when I go into 'manage file', I can delete .csv files and screen shots but the .xml files are not there, so I can't delete them. They are in the 'store/recall' menu however. Using the latest firmware.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:49:04 am by Armxnian »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2015, 09:52:06 am »
I'm having trouble getting the configuration file to load on boot up. I set the meter to how I like it, for example showing statistics and a bar graph, save it as .xml, load it, then put the meter to "power on: last". The manual says the configuration is effective after a restart but it's not. It just loads into dc voltage without statistics and a bar graph. I can go to 'recall' and load the file and the statistics and bar graph will be there but that defeats the purpose of a "power on last". The manual says the meter defaults to dc voltage on power up so what's the point of "power on last" if it deletes the interface settings? What I'm trying to do is possible right?

I store the files on the internal storage. Just to add, when I go into 'manage file', I can delete .csv files and screen shots but the .xml files are not there, so I can't delete them. They are in the 'store/recall' menu however. Using the latest firmware.
I agree with you, Power on:"Last" does NOT operate as one would expect.
You might expect ANY state the DMM is used in to be returned at Power On. You do and I would.

That a custom configuration can also be saved for frequent use is an additional feature IMO.

Several readings of your IMO "clear" description of your UI operation AND pages 44 & 45 of the manual indicates the DMM is operating as Siglent intended.

DC Voltage is always the selected function when the instrument is turned on even if you have selected "Last" or "Factory Default" as the Power On state.
This needs to be changed.

It seems after Power On you must then select your saved setting, this I believe is "arse about face", your saved setting should become the "Power On" state and the option to return to "Factory Default" (DC Voltage) or "Last" can then be selected if necessary.

Siglent....BUG
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:58:57 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2015, 08:42:14 pm »
You might expect ANY state the DMM is used in to be returned at Power On. You do and I would.

That a custom configuration can also be saved for frequent use is an additional feature IMO.

Several readings of your IMO "clear" description of your UI operation AND pages 44 & 45 of the manual indicates the DMM is operating as Siglent intended.

'Power on last' does not operate in general. It resets all UI settings and goes into DC voltage. It does the exact same thing that 'Power on factory default' does.

I remember it working for some time at random. Turning the meter off with it in resistance measurement and statistics would sometimes return it in the same mode on power on, but it doesn't do it anymore.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2015, 09:08:06 pm »

'Power on last' does not operate in general. It resets all UI settings and goes into DC voltage. It does the exact same thing that 'Power on factory default' does.

I remember it working for some time at random. Turning the meter off with it in resistance measurement and statistics would sometimes return it in the same mode on power on, but it doesn't do it anymore.
I'm guessing that has been lost with one of the FW updates, I seem to remember it too.
I'll point Siglent to your post.

Edit
For further understanding of this problem, it is easy to select the different measurement types from the front panel buttons, some require the Dual (shift) button like 4 W resistance for example, but when a special setup is used, it should be able to be saved for further use and/or be returned at Power on, wouldn't you think?

Let's see if any other owners can support us and Siglent getting Power on state right......

Replies of support or otherwise please.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:12:36 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2015, 03:48:28 am »
I'm guessing that has been lost with one of the FW updates, I seem to remember it too.
I'll point Siglent to your post.

Edit
For further understanding of this problem, it is easy to select the different measurement types from the front panel buttons, some require the Dual (shift) button like 4 W resistance for example, but when a special setup is used, it should be able to be saved for further use and/or be returned at Power on, wouldn't you think?

Let's see if any other owners can support us and Siglent getting Power on state right......

Replies of support or otherwise please.

Yeah it is easy to select what you want. I can enable the statistics and change the display mode faster than recalling the configuration file, but it's really annoying to do it on every start up.

I think power on 'last' should return the meter to the exact state in which it was powered off, including all UI settings and measurement settings. There should also be a feature to select which configuration file, if any, you want to be loaded on power up.

We also need the ability to delete the .xml configuration files.

This meter will be a winner once the bugs are fixed.

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2015, 12:53:19 am »
Just tried that file, doesn't seem to have fixed the boot logo image :/.
When does the problem happen? Does it exist  when you get the DMM with firmware P09?

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2015, 01:20:49 am »

Yeah it is easy to select what you want. I can enable the statistics and change the display mode faster than recalling the configuration file, but it's really annoying to do it on every start up.

I think power on 'last' should return the meter to the exact state in which it was powered off, including all UI settings and measurement settings. There should also be a feature to select which configuration file, if any, you want to be loaded on power up.

We also need the ability to delete the .xml configuration files.

This meter will be a winner once the bugs are fixed.

Thank you, I think we should take your advice to solve the power on setting's problem. and the ability to delete the .xml file.

• Super Contributor
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline MartyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2015, 07:57:16 pm »
There is a new firmware: http://www.siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=1113&tid=15

Sadly, there is no changelog.  :rant:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:46 pm »
There is a new firmware: http://www.siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=1113&tid=15

Sadly, there is no changelog.  :rant:
I'll see if I can get the changelogs, Siglent had stated they would include them with all FW.  :-//

FW ****13R1 also from here:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=1390&tid=15

Note, from the included Update instructions:

First you must update the transition file

transition.ADS was included in a previous FW revision, IIRC ****11R1 (29/1/2015)

transition.ADS can be obtained as part of previous FW here:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=1239&tid=15
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:47:53 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline MartyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2015, 11:42:19 am »
I think there is no need for the transition file when updating from the previous ***12R1, otherwise Siglent would include this file with the current download.. no?!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2015, 11:51:33 am »
When you say  "no need", did you not use the transition file?
Did you check it updated correctly to the new FW version?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline MartyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2015, 08:02:19 pm »

Nope

Quote from: tautech

Yep

I guess the transition-file is only needed when updating from a firmware older than 11R1, I've updated from R12 to R13 without any issue.

However, there are still Issues in the firmware I'd love to see fixed...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2015, 09:10:14 pm »
Please share them here or report them to Siglent.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2015, 10:47:08 pm »

Flashing the transition file fails. It's probably only needed if going from .11 to .13, not .12 to .13 since it already has it. Update to .13 worked fine.

Please share them here or report them to Siglent.

The update speed is still the same on slow, but middle and fast do seem a bit faster, but maybe that's just me. They did fix one thing; giving us the ability to delete files on the internal storage. Power on last still doesn't do anything and the meter just starts at its defaults. Also, next to the auto trigger on the top, there is a network symbol with an x on one of the devices, meaning the device is disconnected from your LAN. I turned the LAN off in the settings but the symbol is still there.

A changelog would be nice.

Offline verbatone

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2015, 11:15:02 pm »
For the money, it seems like this is a pretty ok meter, but somehow I just can't get past some of the laggy features of it.  Thanks to the Signal Path for the nice review!

I guess my main problem with this meter, again, not that I own it, is the ranging update.  The thing seems dog slow for range updates.  For anyone who owns it, is it that bad in practice?  I can forgive the screen update speed based on the slow/middle/fast setting.  Essentially this should have to do with integration time.  I don't know if it correlates 100%, but really, if it does, it really doesn't matter how fast the numbers update.  If you have a meter which updates the display 100x/s, that mean you have an effective bandwidth of integration of greater than 100Hz.  Meaning you won't integrate anything less than that frequency (AC or DC or otherwise).  So if one want to integrate down to 1Hz, you need no faster than a 1Hz update rate.  A similar thing applies to FFTs.  Siglent says this meter can do 160 samples/s (or something like that), so that's really only good for sampling short term events, which is good for looking for noise spike or otherwise.  I guess what I'm also unsure of is when it's in graphing mode, does it update at the 160 samples/s or at a lower rate?  Is the only way to get the 160 samples/s from USB?  And I also assume (probably could find it in the data sheet), there's a loss in resolution at 160 samples/s data collection.

My secondary issue in hunting for a DMM is that I wan't one with decent capacitance measurement (my old Fluke 79III just doesn't measure sometimes, and I don't think it's because it's out of bounds, it's something else).  Finding a bench DMM with reasonable resolution and capacitance at a reasonable price point is proving to be a challenge.   I repair a fair amount of vintage musical equipement and caps are routinely the problem, so testing them is critical.  So I'm a bit stuck on the DMM hunt, I want a decent meter with capacitance for less than $1200US (Keysight).  I could go BK precision, but for just a bit more, Siglent comes in the picture.

I prefer a bench DMM cause I'll always misplace a handheld somewhere and end up spending more time looking for it than using it.

Input or Thoughts?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2015, 09:23:40 am »
As this was my first bench DMM, Signal paths review was an eye opener, that most meters are much faster than the 3055.
Yes the display is slower than a HH, but other than that for normal use it works as intended.
I've checked the cap measurement against a Fluke and Smart Tweezers and accuracy is good.
I've not inquired if additional FW is imminent, but I guess after issues the review has identified there will be some.

I'll try to give you an update in a few days.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline verbatone

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2015, 08:45:14 am »
Well I took a chance and bought this meter.  And when I got it, it had version R11 firmware.  I was doing some testing of the unit and it seemed just about the same as the Signal Path review, though I think he was using R12.  I wasn't exactly impressed.  All of my fears on this meter were there.  The slow everything was just a little sub-par.  Still for the money, it's not too bad, but there were enough issues that I wasn't smiling.  So I downloaded the R13 firmware from Siglent (without much hope based on previous comments from Armxnian) and installed it.  Wow, a real step up in speed on a lot of functions.  The continuity was usable (R11 had a poor response time).  For R13, if the connection is really brief, it may miss the event, but generally it's pretty fast.  I would say just marginally worse than my old Fluke 87 III, which I've never had a complaint about.  And if you up the threshold limit, it does get faster.  Still at 50 Ohm, it's pretty good.  The ranging is much faster.  R11 was doggy switching from 2V to 20V range in DCV (middle speed), now it's as fast as I can move from a 1V to 10V output on the DP832!  Not too shabby.  Even the .1V (200mV range ) to 30V (200V range) switch is quick.  Again, from my last post, using the slow speed isn't fair for range switching since the integration time is already 1s, so you can't expect the display to switch sub 1s when the periodic update speed is 1s.

The meter's performance is pretty good.  Measured up to 3MHz on frequency, even though the signal was severely attenuated...in the 100s of uV.  DCI/Ohms agrees with my Fluke (to it's 3.5 resolution).  I have the .1% IET decade resistor box at work, I'll borrow it and test it out.

Again, overall, I'm pretty happy with the R13 update.  Still room for improvement, but if the incremental updates are any indication, at least it's going in the right direction.  Still wish there was an ultra fast speed. 

Sadly I bought a Keithley 2110 reasonably cheap on Ebay, now I have to decide which one stays and which one goes.

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2015, 10:47:22 pm »
R13 is indeed an improvement over the previous version but 30s between the moment you push the ON button and the moment you see a value on the screen is still very long (4s for my HP34401A ...).
I will keep both of them for the moment but I find  myself usually just using the HP for quick checks.
I hope this will improve further more with the next relase   :-//
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2015, 07:33:24 am »
Martin Lorton has made a couple of videos on the Siglent SDM-3055 bench multimeter if anybody is interested.

Part 1

Part 2

Offline verbatone

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2015, 07:42:38 am »
I'll have to agree with most of Martin's points in the video.  Though I think I'll give my unit a proper review of some of the issues he mentions.

The continuity meter delay is worse at lower thresholds...this is somewhat intuitive, setting it back to 50 Ohms makes it more responsive than Martin's test shows.  I think my old Fluke uses 40 Ohms for the threshold and rarely do I fault it's continuity check.  If I really want to know how many Ohms it is, I'll flip the unit to resistance to see what it really is.

Again, I don't agree that you can fault the meter for having a slow update when you want 1s integration time.  I suppose there are ways to have a running average rather than a non-overlap average and still maintain a 1s integration time, but since the display is updating 1 time/sec, you can expect the display to update 2 times/sec.

One other thing I notices, even in the later firmware is that the dual reading between ACV and freq is dog slow.  These two measurements should not require relay switching, but still, the time to make each measurement really bogs down the machine.  Also for dual measurements, beyond the current disconnect issue point out both by Martin and the Signal Path, I can understand the latency in measurements for current/voltage measurements being slow as the relay probably requires some settling time...though I hope they can improve this in the future and not require an open circuit period.

And if Siglent can do another couple rounds (or just one good one) of firmware updates with the same improvements as R12->R13, that would be great.

Oh yeah, and Siglent, just publish a change log, it would take 30 minutes of time to make.  I'm sure you're not fixing 100's of bugs per releases.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf