Author Topic: Design change: Feeltech FY6900-M waveform generator  (Read 199 times)

Offline Phil1977Topic starter

Design change: Feeltech FY6900-M waveform generator
« on: Yesterday at 08:38:37 am »
Hi EEVblog,
frankly I don't know if this topic was already handled and even the search function delivered to many results for me to check, so please apologize if this thread may be redundant.

I just ordered a new FY6900, and I informed myself about its issues, so I was prepared to replace the internal AC-DC-converter with a set of DC-DC-bricks to make it USB-C compatible.

Now I was pleasantly surprised after opening the case: The 6900-M version I received uses the AC-DC-PCB only for a PE-GND-earthed 5V-supply. If you supply power by the USB-B socket, the device already is fully functional and it reaches around +/- 8V at 50Ohm or +/- 12V at 1MOhm. Waveform peaks in the area of the voltage limit look a little disturbed, but anyhow it´s more than enough for many use cases.

So instead of a new power supply I only need a USB-C to USB-B converter  :D

Please tell me if anyone wants pics...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:41:30 am by Phil1977 »

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Design change: Feeltech FY6900-M waveform generator
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:03:31 am »
Im pretty sure these FY6900 have been USB runable throughout many years.

On my old unit that I got in the first half of 2020.. that ain't got USB-A but USB-B interface, I can run it from the laptops USB-socket while running the PC program (single cable for both data and power)
Or use it with a power bank or my scopes USB out.. - I never use it with its AC input... it consumes very little power, so more or less any powerbank will do just fine.

A crude look inside (old model from a clearance EU/GB Banggood sale in first half of 2020)

# It looks like its only +5v & ground, ground that are forwarded from the AC to DC board when looking at the board print, and no use of the 12v
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:55:44 am by DaneLaw »

Offline Phil1977Topic starter

Re: Design change: Feeltech FY6900-M waveform generator
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:40:32 am »
Thanks a lot for your images! It seems the manufacturer is changing the power supply design quite frequently, because yours doesn't have the split voltage supply anmore, but it seems like it has a somehow adventurous earth connection (3-wire flat on DC side).

My unit has a somehow more rigid 3-wire connection on the AC side and then just a 2-wire connector from the Power-PCB to the Main-PCB. My unit also has a seemingly retrofitted heat sink on the DC DC-converters on the mainboard. I can not recognize this heat sink on your pictures, so maybe they have retrospectively found a reason to cool these parts.

I´ll also post images soon.

PS: Of course my unit also has an USB-B socket. In my mind all "old" USB cables are USB-A and the new ones are USB-C.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:43:07 am by Phil1977 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf