Author Topic: Good DMM data logging software?  (Read 1063 times)

Offline FinnaaahTopic starter

• Contributor
Good DMM data logging software?
« on: March 14, 2024, 11:50:10 am »
Hi all,

I've been toying around with different ways of logging data from my bench meters over the last few months. I tried out PyMeasure and LabVIEW among others, but at the moment HKJ's 'Test Controller' seems to be the most comprehensive option which meets most of my needs without having to write the program myself. I'm quite happy with this but have been keeping my eye out to see if there's any other options. The other night when I was scrolling Xianyu, I stumbled across a LabVIEW based program called 'DMM PC-TOOL by ZDD'. After an hour or two of trying to find a way of downloading it, I managed to get a copy of several versions and try it out (feel free to PM for a download if you're interested, it is a little suspicious though). Unfortunately, it's in Chinese which is causing all sorts of problems when trying to run it on my Windows VM, but I thought I may as well ask around here to see if there is anything else of the like out there. The main things that stand out to me about this DMM PC-TOOL program would be the extensive GUI, lots of measurement statistics, the ability to import and export excel files, and the ability to easily change between measurement modes. If that doesn't exist, I'm still more than happy using HKJ's program, as I said it is quite comprehensive, but I can't resist a pretty GUI  :-DMM
I'll attach a couple pictures of the DMM PC-TOOL program for reference  :-+

Thanks

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Good DMM data logging software?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 04:05:23 pm »
care to share the link or as you say share a download of the dmm pc tools ?  not an china one who need registrations ?  not baidu   thks

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 04:17:25 pm by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 12:52:44 am »
Yeah sure, I’ll post a link after work. I’m interested to know if others have the same trouble with it.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 07:10:06 am »
care to share the link or as you say share a download of the dmm pc tools ?  not an china one who need registrations ?  not baidu   thks

https://github.com/FinnKrass/DMM-Tool.git
If possible, let me know if all of the characters are jibberish when you run it. I think it's just an issue with my Windows VM configuration, but wanted to confirm before going down that rabbit hole.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 11:24:44 am »
thks a lot

there is some talk on csdn.net   forums ...   but seems an older version

it spits tons of errors if you dont have Labview installed, Not sure if it need Labview runtimes  ....  but i DO have them (32 and 64 bit installed) for another app who works fine with them

may need other ressources ??

as for language translations, if the maker did not release the DMM pc  labview project files, it could be a DUD
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 11:29:14 am by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 01:12:36 pm »
I’m thinking the same thing ;( from reading through the manual I believe everything is installed. If I find any breakthroughs then I’ll update here, but yeah, without the LabVIEW project files it might be useless. Shame, because it’s everything I was after with support for all my meters

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 10:35:54 pm »
Why do you not say what you are missing in TestController, maybe it is something I can add.

It might be something that is basically impossible to add (General user interface and definitions are locked) and I will reject it, but there are a lot of specialized functions and options in TC (See Popups, especially Grid panel) and I like to add new functionality.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 11:06:12 pm »
@HKJ    no offense from my part,  you helped me in the past in TestController,  but in the end i was not able to make it work 
i was able to use an old keysight dmm application for some  of my old meters  in the L4411a 34410a 34411a series, the l4411 is a special case since this one as no keypad.

Once again not being rude, you offer great help here,   but for an ol tech like me, im more gui dependant, i can not code or script, For sure TestController evolved a lot,  but  seems to mmm say lack simple made interface, the easy side of things ...

You have another software piece offered here too "gpib something",   but even this one start at 2 pane dmm interface and it is limitted in some ways, some
others too, where offered here in some VB applications, but nothing i could do to help my needs

This one  was  mmm say  easier to work with just seeing the looks of it
The gui look was apealing and enough for me,  and the instrument database just like your software seemed good

But as mentioned  it need some labview stuff,   so in the end its not working,  im still trying to figure its dependencies

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 11:35:22 pm »
Don’t get me wrong I find HKJ’s controller great, it’s been a really handy tool, I just want to see what other options are out there. For this one it’s really just about how simple it seems, there’s a big graphical display of the measurement readout for just probing around, and a detailed tab for proper data logging. All things that are possible in Test Controller, just a different GUI really.

Edit: and in terms of data logging, even if I got DMM PC-TOOL to work I would stick with test controller for the versatility as it has all the features I need and more. I simply like the prospect of a good UI for probing around randomly. Apologies if I caused any offence, I do truly appreciate your program.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 11:48:42 pm by Finnaaah »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 11:58:47 pm »
@Finnaaah

i dont think he's offended,  just spoking and giving feedback  is important

For me i voiced my reasons,  even trying to code a button was not good for me  loll
For me TestController sound more as an advanced software with great capabilities,  but simply not for me

alas  you find good software pieces, but nothing is explained or examples given ... and may come from obscur places

TestController and the creator  help a lot

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 12:10:34 am by coromonadalix »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 03:18:34 pm »
I am not offended. TestController is designed to be simple to use, but at the same time have advanced capabilities.
Adding new devices to it, is one of the more advanced aspect. Scripting is also one of the more advanced functions and it is never necessary to use it, but it opens up some automation possibilities (For some stuff TC can basically write the script for you).
TC is build to work with multiple devices at the same time, the different pages is different ways to view the data and they are designed to give a good view of the data. For people that want a uncluttered view of one or a few devices, there are a couple of alternate views in the "Popups" menu (Mainly Readout and grid panel, but also Adjust scale and Auto hold), there is even the possibility to make a custom interface (Grid panel).

Some of the popups are shown here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html#Other_popups
Grid panel is shown here: http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerPopupGridPanel%20UK.html

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 01:09:27 pm »

https://github.com/FinnKrass/DMM-Tool.git
If possible, let me know if all of the characters are jibberish when you run it. I think it's just an issue with my Windows VM configuration, but wanted to confirm before going down that rabbit hole.

you have this email : in the dmm software   zuodd168@163.com   i think you have to pay something ....  since the qr code redirect to alipay ...

as for what it misses i have this attached image
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 01:36:51 pm by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 09:46:43 pm »
Ah that makes sense, didn’t spot the email and AliPay part 😥 I might give emailing a try to see, it looks like it might include the LabVIEW project which would be awesome.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 12:09:32 pm »
Just in case anyone was following this, I downloaded everything that was available on Baidu out of curiosity. I haven't tested it, but the repo has been updated with everything I downloaded  :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf