Author Topic: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X  (Read 383584 times)

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent NEW Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X
« Reply #350 on: March 02, 2018, 06:24:54 am »
After years of avoiding buying a bench DMM because as a hobbyist I really didn't need one I finally had a moment of weakness last year when the ITT surplus GWInstek GDM-8251A meters dropped to under $100 and bought one. Have enjoyed using it so much over the last year that lately I've been looking at some newer bench meters and finally settled on a Siglent SDM3055. I've had it for a little over a week now, and am really impressed with it. (one of) The obvious benefit over the GDM-8251A is the ease of configuring and setting up measurements since it has a bigger screen with soft buttons and menus (not just initial setup, but easily switching between options on different measurements). Also really liking being able to do the trend graphing directly on the meter, instead of always having to offload to the computer first. The EasyDMM software seems to work very well too for the times where I do want to capture the data on the computer.

I had ordered three of the different cheap ebay AD584 voltage references as well last year around the same time as the GDM-8251A. One of them came with a printed sheet of supposed measurements, that appeared to not have probably been real measurements (saw that several other people that ordered same one received identical printed "measurements"). However the other 2 references had the hand written measurements which at the time did seem to be realistic as measured by each of my other meters. I had documented what each of my meters measured at the time I received them, and rechecked both references again last week a both still measured the same with the GDM-8251A. Measuring with the new SDM3055 (so obviously had recently been factory calibrated) both references measured essentially spot on, with the better (at least more expensive) reference measured exactly what was printed on it, down to the last digit of the meter (though since the reference had been measured with a higher resolution meter by the seller, it showed one more digit than the SDM3055 was capable of). And even leaving the measurement for each range running all day, it stayed within 1 LSD. I realize they are just cheap ebay references, and may not ultimately mean anything, but was just surprised by that result.

I wanted to add my initial experience for anyone else considering one of these, but also wanted to give a big thank you to Tautech. Even though I never spoke directly to him about this purchase, every single question I had about the meter while researching I was able to find someone else had already asked, and every time Tautech had already given a detailed response to the question.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline RF_Energy

« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2018, 11:32:16 pm »
Hi, i am looking for a new DMM for the bench, i do like the Siglent SDM3055, old guy's love the big screen, and a nice price :-DD, i did see it on the site here:
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/prodcut-db.aspx?id=176&tid=37&T=-1
that there was a new model, the big bumpers from the X versions are now on it, also I've seen it on a video here:

Are there more changes, maybe in the hardware, or is it only new looks, but in the inside the same (old) hardware.

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #352 on: March 19, 2018, 06:18:13 am »
Hi, i am looking for a new DMM for the bench, i do like the Siglent SDM3055, old guy's love the big screen, and a nice price :-DD, i did see it on the site here:
that there was a new model, the big bumpers from the X versions are now on it, also I've seen it on a video here:
Are there more changes, maybe in the hardware, or is it only new looks, but in the inside the same (old) hardware.
Welcome to the forum.

For your part of the world Siglent in Hamburg have a more local to you website:
https://www.siglenteu.com/digital-multimeters/

Thanks for sharing the vid....shame the reviewer didn't have another set of Kelvin clips for a better 'apples vs apples' comparison.
I'm not aware of any changes to the HW other than 'X' model bumpers.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: RF_Energy

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #353 on: March 19, 2018, 06:19:03 pm »
The SDM3055 without the X but with the X look (like SDM3045X and SDM3065X)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:49:32 am by flash2b »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: March 19, 2018, 07:54:19 pm »
The SDM3055 without the X but with the X look (like SDM3045X and SDM3065X)
[img]https://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/file/30557[/
Yep. I guess it's confusing one way or the other. To X or not to X.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline RF_Energy

« Reply #355 on: March 19, 2018, 11:56:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

For your part of the world Siglent in Hamburg have a more local to you website:
https://www.siglenteu.com/digital-multimeters/

Thanks for sharing the vid....shame the reviewer didn't have another set of Kelvin clips for a better 'apples vs apples' comparison.
I'm not aware of any changes to the HW other than 'X' model bumpers.

Thx,
there they have the old pictures on that site, i did ask the local shop (eleshop) here in the Netherlands, if they have the new model, and they did not now, so they send me a picture of what they have there, and it was the new model, the 3055 (X version).
i am still thinking about the 3045X or do i buy the new 3055, its only 100 euro price difference, and the 3055 has the extra filter for the dc what you can turn on and off, and 1 digit more on the screen, only the accuracy i do not understand, the 3055 is 0,015%, and the 3045X is 0,01%.
wy is the 3045X better, and its just a 4,5 digit meter 60 K counts, and the 3055 is 5,5 digit meter and 240 k counts i belief, wy only 0,015% accuracy.
i like to order next week, help me please to decide which meter is the best for me, i do not have the money to buy twice, i also was thinking about the Rigol DM3058E but the screen is not so nice to see, and it has no lan, i am not blind, but i like to have a easy to read screen, yes, old guy, i need glasses to see the Rigol meter  8).
i realy do not need the accuracy of a 5,5 digit meter, but its nice to have i think for 100 euro more, maybe later you need to have it for a project, but when the meter is less accurate, then you have nothing on that 1 digit more.
sorry my bad english, but i do my best to learn it, and i did not have the time to look things up, and paint it  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: March 20, 2018, 01:26:34 am »
RF_Energy
All models have had the X bumpers for a while now, any that don't will be very old stock.

You are best to make the decision yourself but I will add I have sold 5:1 in favor of SDM3055.
I also know it will hold its value better and be more sought after.

WRT accuracy, I have not tested one against the other (no suitable reference) but I would have expected the 3055 to be better now than early units and maybe the datasheet just reflects early 3055 model spec ?
Good luck.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2018, 10:22:24 am »
We need to distinguish resolution from accuracy. There are many tasks that don’t require absolute accuracy, but high resolution with good short term stability.

Then the specifications of SDM3045 and 3055 are not directly comparable, because the offset error is specified differently. Also the ranges are different and the SDM3055 has only four times the resolution of a SDM3045. For certain voltages the SDM3045 might be actually better suited than the 3055.

It should also be noted that the SDM3045 has 0.02% error for voltages higher than 6V whereas the SDM3055 has a constant error of 0.015% up to 1000V and accuracy is also specified for the temperature range outside the 23°C +/-5°C window. These facts alone hint on a higher class meter.

What really counts in the end is the total error of the measured value – and the available resolution. The comparison looks like this:

SDM3045                  SDM3055
Voltage     Error     Resolution     Error     Resolution
2V            0,035% 100uV          0,018% 10uV
5V            0,020% 100uV          0,031% 100uV
10V          0,060% 1mV             0,023% 100uV

Offline RF_Energy

« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:50 pm »
yea, oke i see, thx to you all, for the fast and good reply's, i know now i have to buy the siglent sdm-3055, i hope that it wil serve me many years to com.

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #359 on: April 27, 2018, 02:08:22 am »
I'm starting to look around for a bench top DMM, and have my eye on an SDM3065X, but the problem I have is I live in Japan...

Looks like it's the usual story of being stuck with barely any selection of only lower spec units (It's a bit more of a common problem than I would like... Japan likes to stick itself in the past, not to progressive in many ways.)

http://www.siglent.jp/html/modules/pico/index.php?content_id=39

Is there any way to get an SDM3065X in Japan?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: April 27, 2018, 02:30:42 am »
I'm starting to look around for a bench top DMM, and have my eye on an SDM3065X, but the problem I have is I live in Japan...

Looks like it's the usual story of being stuck with barely any selection of only lower spec units (It's a bit more of a common problem than I would like... Japan likes to stick itself in the past, not to progressive in many ways.)

http://www.siglent.jp/html/modules/pico/index.php?content_id=39

Is there any way to get an SDM3065X in Japan?
In the first instance I would contact the sales team at the factory on Shenzhen.
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/lxwms.aspx?id=1337
They can see if their distributor has stock and get them to contact you directly. This should only take a few hours.

I know factory staff travel to Japan for exhibitions and after sales support so your location should be no problem to get Siglent products.

PS. I'll email my contact and maybe you'll get a PM from him.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:33:07 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #361 on: May 26, 2018, 08:44:58 pm »
Please take the cover off and post a few internal photos  :-+

I have a SDM3065X in the lab, I think it will be my next teardown.
One year later. Dave did not find the time to do a teardown. No one else has done a teardown yet. I am sad. I was so excited about this announcement.
Anyway....
Where is that smoke coming from?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: May 27, 2018, 03:09:02 am »
Please take the cover off and post a few internal photos  :-+

I have a SDM3065X in the lab, I think it will be my next teardown.
One year later. Dave did not find the time to do a teardown. No one else has done a teardown yet. I am sad. I was so excited about this announcement.
Anyway....
If you're looking for pics of the insides see post #337
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg1329966/#msg1329966

The internal layout is very similar to the 3055 and 3045X but the 3065X has a bigger footprint so the 3065X mainboard is a little larger and the vacant mounting hole near the main IC is just one of the mounting points used for the HW that carries the optional 16ch SC1016 logging card. In units with these factory fitted cards there is a custom frame that carries the logging card and some additional wiring and sockets for it to plug into.
Hope that helps.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X
« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2018, 10:47:12 am »
I own a Siglent SDM3055 with V1.01.01.19 firmware.

The SDM3055 has an option to select Speed with Fast, Medium and Slow as option.

The new SDM3045X and SDM3065X have also a similar option which is renamed to Apperture with option using PLC (power line cycles), which is much more usefull.

Now my question, does anyone know how many the number of PLCs for Fast, Medium and Slow ?

Also, using EasyDMM the SDM3055 is able to log into a file, but there are always (no matter what you do) 5 readings per second in the log file. There is not way to control the measurement interval. Is there anyway to control the measurement interval either with EasyDMM or using Acquire from the instrument?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #364 on: July 06, 2018, 08:37:29 am »
I own a Siglent SDM3055 with V1.01.01.19 firmware.

The SDM3055 has an option to select Speed with Fast, Medium and Slow as option.

The new SDM3045X and SDM3065X have also a similar option which is renamed to Apperture with option using PLC (power line cycles), which is much more usefull.

Now my question, does anyone know how many the number of PLCs for Fast, Medium and Slow ?

Also, using EasyDMM the SDM3055 is able to log into a file, but there are always (no matter what you do) 5 readings per second in the log file. There is not way to control the measurement interval. Is there anyway to control the measurement interval either with EasyDMM or using Acquire from the instrument?
Great question !
I've tried my SDM3065X and indeed the measurement speed options are far better....from 100 PLC, 10, 1, 0.5, 0.05, to 0.005.

I'll shoot Siglent an email to see if there's plans to bring the reading speed to the same format in all SDM30** models and seek an answer to your other logging question.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: flash2b

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #365 on: July 06, 2018, 10:35:31 am »
So the 3065X has 6 settings, curious if the 3045X also has 6.

A mapping of Slow --> xx PLC's, Medium --> yy PLC's and fast --> zz PLC's would already be helpfull.

Hoping for some clarification soon.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #366 on: July 06, 2018, 10:44:36 am »

A mapping of Slow --> xx PLC's, Medium --> yy PLC's and fast --> zz PLC's would already be helpfull.

100 PLC is slowest, I tried to time it with a stopwatch and got a reading of ~3s/reading.
Doesn't really make sense, our NZ mains is 50 Hz so it should be ~2s/reading but it could be system to display latency in measurements, don't know.
Anyways, at the faster settings there's only so fast the display can keep up with so the fastest settings don't show crazy fast display refresh rates once you get past 1PLC settings.
Probably should try some USB stick CSV saves to see the difference......but not tonight.
No reply from Siglent as yet.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #367 on: July 06, 2018, 11:16:16 am »

No.  My 3045X only has the three speed options.  It has the latest firmware.

The following users thanked this post: flash2b

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #368 on: July 06, 2018, 11:58:52 am »
Logging with EasyDMM has always 5 samples per second (regardless Speed) so that equals to 10 PLC (NL mains is 50Hz)

BillB, what values of PLC has your 3045X ? (generally more digit meters have more PLC settings)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:00:26 pm by flash2b »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #369 on: July 06, 2018, 12:34:00 pm »
Logging with EasyDMM has always 5 samples per second (regardless Speed) so that equals to 10 PLC (NL mains is 50Hz)

BillB, what values of PLC has your 3045X ? (generally more digit meters have more PLC settings)

From the 3045X user's guide:

1. Three  reading  rates  are  available  for  DCV,  ACV,  DCI,  ACI and  2-Wire/4-Wire Resistance: “Slow”, “Middle” and “Fast”.
2. There is a linkage for both reading resolution and reading (measurement) rate.
3. 5 reading/s and 50 reading/s belongs to 4.5 digit resolution.
4. 150 reading/s belong to 3.5 digit resolution.
5. The  reading  resolution  of Temperature is  fixed  at 4.5  digit  and “Fast” respectively.
6. The  reading  resolutions  and  measurement  rates  of  both  Diode  and Continuity are fixed at 4.5 digit and “Fast” respectively.
7. The  reading  resolution  and  measurement  rate  of  the  Frequency function are fixed 4.5 digit and “Slow” respectively.
8. The reading resolution and measurement rate of the Capacitance function are fixed at 3.5 digit and “Slow” respectively.

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2018, 04:33:47 pm »
Who offers best price for SDM3065X in EU these days?

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2018, 12:29:18 pm »
Is there anything better in the newer SDM3045X than in the SDM3055? The price difference here seem to be £60. Any new features?

I have not spotted anything significant when trying to compare, it's just not always so clear which one is better or worse; think of high square-wave output of the new 'lower end' Siglent AWGs, for example. So I am basically after a DMM and AWG, and possibly SA/VNA as well when I can afford.
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2018, 02:22:12 pm »
I don't think there is anything better with the 3045X over the 3055, other than maybe it doesn't have a fan so it is quiet.  Other than the resolution, accuracy, ranges and the few differences already discussed I don't see any differences in features.  I don't remember seeing any feature the 3045X has that the 3055 does not.   

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2018, 02:34:36 pm »
That's what I thought. So the sweet spot here seems to be the 3055.
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #374 on: September 27, 2018, 04:02:09 pm »
That's what I thought. So the sweet spot here seems to be the 3055.

Definitely.  For the price difference, I think it's worth it to step up to the 3055.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf