Author Topic: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X  (Read 391692 times)

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
Re: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X
« Reply #650 on: November 16, 2020, 10:42:50 am »
...I also reported today another bug, regarding my scope...

What mistake? Maybe it's a mistake I don't know yet.  ???
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #651 on: November 16, 2020, 10:48:34 am »
For comparison for everyone here, my list of errors for version 1.01.01.20R2 of the 3055 was communicated to Siglent at the beginning of this year.

SDM3055, firmware (1.01.01.20R2).

1. The device freezes with every attempt to save a csv file
(no matter whether on USB or in the internal memory)
if any previously csv file exist in the used directory.

2. The device freezes allways with every attempt to save a screenshot.

(Both, csv and Screeshot chrash failure, never happened with version 1.01.01.19).

3. Resistance cannot be set in continuity mode after booting.
You can only set the threshold when you go out there, select a different measurement type and then go back to Continuity.
After each start it happens again.

4. Threshold cannot be set in diode mode after startup.
You can only set the threshold when you go out there, select a different measurement type and then go back to Continuity.

5. Temperature measurement:
If e.g. if a PT100 or 1000 is connected, overload is always displayed after booting.
To make it work again you either have to disconnect the sensor and connect it again
or select another measurement (voltage, current doesn't matter) and then return to the temperature measurement.

After the device was de-energized (despite "Power on Last" on), a whole series of settings are lost each time.

Get lost:
6.1. Screensaver (no matter which setting before), then on disable.
6.2. Selected settings Value Threshold for diode and Ohm for continuity are gone (back to 2.0V / 50 Ohm).
6.3. Setting the buzzer volume (diode and continuity) from quiet back to medium.
6.4. The sensor type, if seting to PT1000 or PT100 was selected for Temp, is then back on KITS90.

Everything has to be reset every time.
The device has no volatile memory with a battery. It should all be in one flash.
Turning it on seems to do some mismatch in the saved things...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:50:06 am by klausES »
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline mrprecision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #652 on: November 23, 2020, 09:32:33 pm »
Siglent wrote me today, that they had a problem during the repeated testing of the new firmware. So the new firmware will be delayed....

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #653 on: November 28, 2020, 08:45:25 pm »
For those playing along at home ....

Use the firmware with the open telnet access.

Credit for the ADS file is due to tv84 :-+

Just ignore the errormessage and dont reboot, it will work anyways.
After reboot, the unit is back to its previous state, nothing is really installed.

The calibration is stored here:

/usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/DMM_calibration.xml

to copy it to USB drive:

cp /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/DMM_calibration.xml /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/
sync

Example for SDM3045X attached, port 10101

Chris
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:22:53 am by Ringmodulator »

The following users thanked this post: pcmihnea, eklein, linuxlou

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #654 on: December 09, 2020, 11:16:46 am »
Does anyone really want to tell me credibly that Siglent is still serious about what to do ?

Does someone sit there for an hour a month, then the alarm clock rings and he must stop again ?
It has now been almost a year with these mistakes. At the same time, new systems and entire cars are being developed.

The following users thanked this post: theirishscion, flash2b, CDN_Torsten

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #655 on: December 10, 2020, 08:15:21 am »
For me the most annoying bug is that the logging does not work anymore. I've used this a lot in the past, and this bug has been reported for almost a year ago. For the prices of the SDM3055 you may expect that it has a working logging function right ?

The following users thanked this post: CDN_Torsten, eplpwr

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #656 on: December 13, 2020, 11:36:24 am »
Hi,

what are the experiences with long time drift for ths SDM3045X and 3055?
Do they have the same V reference?

Recalibration has been quoted to me with around 200€ from a major teq dealer.
(Siglent Germany didnt bother to answer.)

Chris

Offline dashpuppy

• Regular Contributor
    • http://www.dashpuppy.com
« Reply #657 on: December 27, 2020, 04:18:13 am »
Can anyone tell me where we get the usb driver for the SDM3055 for windows 10 ? i've been looking all over and can't find it at all..

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #658 on: December 27, 2020, 04:22:32 am »
Can anyone tell me where we get the usb driver for the SDM3055 for windows 10 ? i've been looking all over and can't find it at all..
Exactly what is the USB connectivity you need ?
To EasyDMM or something else ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline dashpuppy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #659 on: December 27, 2020, 04:33:17 am »

Yes correct for easyDMM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #660 on: December 27, 2020, 04:53:38 am »

Yes correct for easyDMM
OK. The connectivity drivers (USB and LAN) for EasyDMM are in the NIVISA SW package that should be installed before EasyDMM SW or SDM connection to a PC otherwise the PC OS (Windows especially) will install and assign its own drivers to a SDM connection.

To remedy this situation you need first install NIVISA Runtime which is the slimmed down driver app although it's still the best part of 100 MB.
Follow your nose from here:
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YHweCAG&l=en-NZ

It's still very likely you will need to edit/replace the W10 USB driver so to point W10 to use the correct one and it's not hard. Attached is an old EasyScope guide I wrote for doing this and it will put you on the correct path.

Careful study of the EasyDMM install guide/readme would have had you set everything up correctly from the start, also attached.

Come back if you can't sort it and we'll work though it in detail via PM's or something.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: eklein

Offline dashpuppy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #661 on: December 27, 2020, 06:17:14 pm »

Yes correct for easyDMM
OK. The connectivity drivers (USB and LAN) for EasyDMM are in the NIVISA SW package that should be installed before EasyDMM SW or SDM connection to a PC otherwise the PC OS (Windows especially) will install and assign its own drivers to a SDM connection.

To remedy this situation you need first install NIVISA Runtime which is the slimmed down driver app although it's still the best part of 100 MB.
Follow your nose from here:
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YHweCAG&l=en-NZ

It's still very likely you will need to edit/replace the W10 USB driver so to point W10 to use the correct one and it's not hard. Attached is an old EasyScope guide I wrote for doing this and it will put you on the correct path.

Careful study of the EasyDMM install guide/readme would have had you set everything up correctly from the start, also attached.

Come back if you can't sort it and we'll work though it in detail via PM's or something.

Thanks sir !  I got it working ! I used ip instead of USB cable, now to get my scope on line too !

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #662 on: December 27, 2020, 07:12:03 pm »
Hi,

I got my hands on a new SDM3045X and can report, that the annoying issues with the power LED are solved.

If powered off, the LED is off and no pointless blinking.
The power LED when switched on, is not as intense ant piercing as on older units.

Chris

Offline dashpuppy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #663 on: December 27, 2020, 07:17:33 pm »
Hi,

I got my hands on a new SDM3045X and can report, that the annoying issues with the power LED are solved.

If powered off, the LED is off and no pointless blinking.
The power LED when switched on, is not as intense ant piercing as on older units.

Chris

What's wrong with the led being on when powered off ? isn't that a good thing to let you know there is power to the unit ? or that it's in standby mode ?

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #664 on: January 02, 2021, 05:27:21 pm »
Got an 3055 in December. Fan is a Delta Electronics AFB0612LC, blowing outwards.
As the press cut pattern in the outer case inhibits the air flow, the noise, resonated by the case, is by far the loudest sound in the room.
I put in a Sunon Maglev HA60151V4-1000U-A99, which is somewhat quieter than the Delta from the start.
Having added a 300 ohms resistor the noise is barely audible now, but you can still feel some air flow 10 cm from the case, so the air exchange rate within the case should be ok.

The following users thanked this post: theirishscion, dashpuppy

Offline dashpuppy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #665 on: January 02, 2021, 06:16:43 pm »
Got an 3055 in December. Fan is a Delta Electronics AFB0612LC, blowing outwards.
As the press cut pattern in the outer case inhibits the air flow, the noise, resonated by the case, is by far the loudest sound in the room.
I put in a Sunon Maglev HA60151V4-1000U-A99, which is somewhat quieter than the Delta from the start.
Having added a 300 ohms resistor the noise is barely audible now, but you can still feel some air flow 10 cm from the case, so the air exchange rate within the case should be ok.

I'm going to be doing this to my Scope & DMM and Signal Generator ! I hate the fan noise of my scope its louder than my server sitting beside me.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #666 on: January 02, 2021, 06:22:03 pm »
For the 3055 the risk seemed low, because the 3045 runs without a fan. For the FG and Scope, I would double check and search for tear down videos showing some temperature measurement.

Offline dashpuppy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #667 on: January 02, 2021, 08:07:46 pm »
For the 3055 the risk seemed low, because the 3045 runs without a fan. For the FG and Scope, I would double check and search for tear down videos showing some temperature measurement.

I would probably use a Noctua fan & Try to match the CFM.. The cheap crappy stock fans are loud in Siglent gear (

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #668 on: January 02, 2021, 08:22:23 pm »
The problem is, that most of the noise occurs, because the fan is not able to press the planned cfm through the mesh. So it might be sufficient to do the effective cfms. However one could measure that. Maybe tape some kind of paper strip at the outlet and measure the distance they are blown away from the mesh.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #669 on: January 02, 2021, 08:43:56 pm »
The cheap crappy stock fans are loud in Siglent gear (
With this I don't agree and you need accept that when an instruments cooling is designed for all markets the stock cooling may be excessive for your climate.
The only way to properly address this is to have smart fans and they are fitted into more expensive Siglent gear.

The problem is, that most of the noise occurs, because the fan is not able to press the planned cfm through the mesh.
Not so in an experiment I did recently with a SDS1104X-E by cutting the fan grille completely away.
There was NO noticeable difference in fan noise when the grille was removed.

Ambient temps dictate what can be done to reduce fan noise where in south China not far from Hong Kong 30+C for most of the day is very normal so good cooling is required to ensure long term reliability.
Stock fans have been very reliable and in hundreds of instruments sold just one fan has been replaced under warranty.

If we discount grilles from having a significant impact on noise as I do now that leaves slowing the fan to better suit your ambient temps or fitting a higher spec fan with lower noise. In small formfactor instruments we are limited to small fans with their higher RPM which creates most of the noise.

Careful adjustment of fan speed to suit your climate is the simplest solution at the risk of impact on instrument reliability.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline dashpuppy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #670 on: January 02, 2021, 10:37:03 pm »
The cheap crappy stock fans are loud in Siglent gear (
With this I don't agree and you need accept that when an instruments cooling is designed for all markets the stock cooling may be excessive for your climate.
The only way to properly address this is to have smart fans and they are fitted into more expensive Siglent gear.

I'll take my chances, my room / shop doesn't get hot at all. However i do understand what you are saying now, makes 100% perfect sense.  Thanks.

Offline CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional electron whisperer
« Reply #671 on: January 07, 2021, 01:22:57 am »
Does anyone really want to tell me credibly that Siglent is still serious about what to do ?

Does someone sit there for an hour a month, then the alarm clock rings and he must stop again ?
It has now been almost a year with these mistakes. At the same time, new systems and entire cars are being developed.

Does anyone have any sort of update with regard to getting a firmware update? 
It's been more than a year since the SDM3055 has had a FW release...and it still has major bugs...  This is not the kind of support I was expecting from Siglent.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #672 on: January 07, 2021, 01:56:22 am »
SDM3055 beta FW is out for checking and if it doesn't require further fixes should be released soon.

I check for it daily.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: CDN_Torsten

Offline CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional electron whisperer
« Reply #673 on: January 07, 2021, 02:00:21 am »
Thank you...

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #674 on: January 07, 2021, 11:00:33 am »
SDM3055 beta FW is out for checking...
It would have been nice if at least the people who had been in contact with Siglent for a long time had been offered this beta for testing, or had at least received information about it.
Siglent and the big dealer in my country haven't contacted me for almost nine months.

What I think of this kind with the customers who tried hard and who had communicated the mistakes with Siglent, I prefer not to write here...  :--

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf