Author Topic: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X  (Read 383506 times)

nowlan and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
Re: Siglent NEW Bench DMM SDM3055
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2015, 07:11:40 pm »
Im fine with the red x on the LAN icon if the LAN is enabled and there is no link.  What I would prefer is the LAN icon to disappear from the screen (like the USB icon does) if the LAN is disabled in the I/O setting. 

Online Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2015, 07:36:03 pm »
Very nice and honest preliminary review kj7e and very much appreciated.... :-+

I wanted a stand alone graphing meter mainly for extended duration logging and as history shows I have been more than tempted on a number of occasions to swing towards the SDM-3055, glad now that I waited until others had established it's place in the pecking order and I'm still in need of a mains powered bench unit for field work.

To fill the void I have a 289 on the way and should have it early this coming week, l love the 189s and will never part with these, just a great meter.

Keep the information coming If you can as we are yet to see how these go over time, unfortunately with the exchange rate down here they are no longer a cheap alternative meter for a hobbyist and professionals that can claim them as part of the business generally dont mind spending a bit more for established equipment.

Many thanks and seasons greetings.

Muttley

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:39:30 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2015, 07:43:09 pm »
Im fine with the red x on the LAN icon if the LAN is enabled and there is no link.  What I would prefer is the LAN icon to disappear from the screen (like the USB icon does) if the LAN is disabled in the I/O setting.
I get that, yes the USB icon only shows when a connection is made BUT only when a memory stick is connected to the front panel USB, not for rear panel USB to PC connections.
Should this be changed to indicate BOTH front AND rear USB connection?

AFAIK you're the first (on EEVblog) to have asked for this and I do understand everyone each have their preferences for how they like their instrument to behave.
I do see your point however, there is a LAN ON/OFF toggle in the UI and when OFF one might expect the LAN indicator to disappear.

Anyway..... Noted. Will forward to Siglent.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2015, 07:51:00 pm »
Thanks Muttley,  I also have a 289, its a few years newer than my 189 but the 189 seems to have drifted less than the 289. Both killer handheld DMMs for sure.  I have a UNI-T un171b on order as well, just wants something not as valuable to toss around.  I had a HP 34401a 10 years ago, paid $250 for it and it was like new (surplus Gov contract deal).  Like a fool I sold it when I moved to a new job and state.  I dont need a 6.5 digit .0035% DMM, and its just a hobby for me, so the SDM3055 should work out well.

I've warmed my room up a few deg, it seems the meter and voltage ref are now within one digit, cant ask for much more than that.  One thing I forgot to mention above, the fan is not a bother at all, very quiet.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2015, 08:04:44 pm »
I get that, yes the USB icon only shows when a connection is made BUT only when a memory stick is connected to the front panel USB, not for rear panel USB to PC connections.

AFAIK you're the first (on EEVblog) to have asked for this and I do understand everyone each have their preferences for how they like their instrument to behave.
I do see your point however, there is a LAN ON/OFF toggle in the UI and when OFF one might expect the LAN indicator to disappear.

Since the rear USB was intended for the GPIB dongle, I think the USB icon should only display with the front USB port.  The LAN icon is not a big deal, just something I noticed and thought would be a nice touch up item.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:06:35 pm by kj7e »

Online Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2015, 08:11:48 pm »
I thought that the GPIB dongle was an A/ front port interface and the B/ rear port was only for the pc, that was the indication given earlier in the thread.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2015, 08:17:21 pm »

Since the rear USB was intended for the GPIB dongle, I think the USB icon should only display with the front USB port.  Its not a big deal, just something I noticed and thought would be a nice touch up item.
Not only GPIB.
EasyDMM software can be used via LAN and USB connection and instrument control can be achieved with EasyDMM using either connection. If FW was to be modified as you suggest I see no reason why a rear USB connection indication could not be added too.

Do you not agree?
I thought that the GPIB dongle was an A/ front port interface and the B/ rear port was only for the pc, that was the indication given earlier in the thread.
Quite right Pete, just checked my GPIB dongle, it has a tethered USB A cable and therefore must be used in the front panel USB.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2015, 08:21:41 pm »
^ Sounds fair enough to me.

Online Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2015, 08:34:31 pm »
Thanks tautech, that picture of the dongle on the Siglent site which is linked earlier in the thread does not show an intergrated cable affixed and gives the impression that the dongle has either an A or B USB receptacle.

I always imagined that it was exactly the same as the Keysight GPIB dongle.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2015, 08:52:39 pm »
Thanks tautech, that picture of the dongle on the Siglent site which is linked earlier in the thread does not show an intergrated cable affixed and gives the impression that the dongle has either an A or B USB receptacle.

I always imagined that it was exactly the same as the Keysight GPIB dongle.
Quite so Muttley.

I've added to a report to Siglent that the GPIB adapter need have USB B type connection for use with the rear USB B so to keep the front panel USB A connection available for USB memory sticks and such.

Even if the GPIB adapter had an USB A socket instead of the USB A tethered cable then the supplied Siglent USB A to B universal cable could be used with the rear USB B connection and then free the front USB A connector while GPIB is in use.

Edit
Further explanation.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:58:02 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »
Very nice!  Even though the display is limited to 5.5 digits at 240,000 counts, you can extract extra resolution via the histogram.

Here I am measuring my 2.49986v reference, the display is limited 2.4998v but by setting the span and center for the histogram I'm able to see the average reading is really closer to 2.499831v.  Of course this is well beyond the rated accuracy and stability of the internal reference, but that's still cool.  I figure that's within .0012%.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:37:45 pm by kj7e »

Online Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2015, 10:56:04 pm »
Just so people know and don't have to go searching for information these are the pictures below of both USB-GPIB interfaces since the release of the product excluding the onboard GPIB which was never released, the first Batronix picture appears to be the current and correct adapter provided with the SDM-3055A, the second image is from the Siglent US site and may not be correct as far as I can tell, the main Siglent site shows either no picture at all, conflicting images or the incorrect one depending on which route you take.

I don't know anything about their USB-GPIB interfaces for the scopes, it could be either one.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:09:31 pm by Muttley Snickers »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2015, 11:17:55 pm »
Just so people know and don't have to go searching for information these are the pictures below of both USB-GPIB interfaces since the release of the product excluding the onboard GPIB which was never released, the first Batronix picture is the current and correct adapter provided with the SDM-3055A, the second image is from the Siglent US site and is not correct as far as I can tell, the main Siglent site shows either no picture at all, conflicting images or the incorrect one depending on which route you take.

I don't know anything about their USB-GPIB interfaces for the scopes, it could be either one.
Thanks Muttley.

All Siglent products that are GPIB capable use this same GPIB adapter, it is an Accessory for most products although the SDM3055 range are the only Siglent products at this time offered with or without it: 3055S or 3055A.

http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-fjxx.aspx?fjid=403&id=1369&tid=1&T=2
RRP is US$155 + taxes if any.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:15:26 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2015, 04:08:27 am »
Very nice!  Even though the display is limited to 5.5 digits at 240,000 counts, you can extract extra resolution via the histogram.

Here I am measuring my 2.49986v reference, the display is limited 2.4998v but by setting the span and center for the histogram I'm able to see the average reading is really closer to 2.499831v.  Of course this is well beyond the rated accuracy and stability of the internal reference, but that's still cool.  I figure that's within .0012%.

That is cool; can you extract more precision via LAN/SCPI commands?

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »
^ Alank2, Im not sure.

Update to my first impressions found here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg824341/#msg824341

I take back what I said about the washed out and grayish display, turns out its not due to too much brightness or lack of contrast. On the standard numeric display, the background is a dark gray and not black.  On the trend chart the background is black and you can see the dark gray bordering the trend chart box.

The slight (but very well with in spec) error in DC accuracy was due to the temperature drift in my reference.  I played with cooling and warming the reference and can see the drift plain as day on the trend chart.  Once at the cal temp, the meter is spot on.

I have not tested the continuity speed on older FW, but on 15R1 the continuity beep is very fast.  I suspect the continuity speed was also improved with the display speed on the new FW.

Feature request, it would be handy to have a way to quickly zero out the highlighted digits when adjusting settings such as the span or center voltages rather than having to use the up and down.  Maybe by pressing the center OK button would set the highlighted digit to zero.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2015, 09:20:16 pm »
New DMMCheck Plus just showed up in the mail today  :-+

DMMCheck     SDM3055
VDC     5.0000          4.99998
VAC     4.999            4.9991
Hz       100.004800   100.00, 9.9995ms (100.00500Hz)
mAAC  1.0003          0.9997
mADC  1.0003          1.00023
Ohm    99.981          99.975
Ohm    999.79          999.75
kOhm  10.0008        10.0003
kOhm  100.034        100.038

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2016, 01:21:48 am »
I was reading where DR. Frank was doing some power on stability/warm-up time testes on the Keysight 34465a and 34470a, so I though I do a quick test on the SDM3055 (although not nearly as accurate as DR. Frank's).  Using the 5v DMMCheck Plus reference, powered on for several hours at 23deg C,  I powered on the SDM3055 and immediately switched to the trend chart with a manual vertical.  Here is the trend after 30min,  you can see it SDM3055 settled down in about 6 min and only drifted about 25uV.  Span = 200uV full scale.

Start up = 5.000030v
After 6min = 5.000005v
After 38min = 5.000005v

I noticed from early on, the MAX6325C reference has a very good TC.

Offline Elrod

• Contributor
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »
Has anyone heard anything about another firmware update for the SDM3055?  It's been quite a while.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2016, 07:06:51 pm »
Has anyone heard anything about another firmware update for the SDM3055?  It's been quite a while.
Yes, last one was 2015-09-29 and the next one will be due soon. Do you have any specific problems you are needing fixed?
The Siglent FW team are on Chinese New Year break ATM and are due back next week so we might know if there's been progress soon.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Elrod

• Contributor
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2016, 02:38:46 pm »
The specific issue is placing the meter in Continuity mode and then shutting it down.  When I turn it back on it will go crazy beeping and clicking with random digits on display.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2016, 09:22:28 am »
The specific issue is placing the meter in Continuity mode and then shutting it down.  When I turn it back on it will go crazy beeping and clicking with random digits on display.
Yes, confirmed on my demo unit.
FW 15R1 with power on set to "Last".
Power on set to "Factory" does not replicate this bug.

Reported to Siglent.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2016, 08:46:27 am »
I'm told by Siglent this issue has been resolved in the Beta of the next FW, so hopefully not too much longer to wait guys.

I'll let you all know when it's released or keep an eye out for it on the the Siglent FW page:
http://siglentamerica.com/gjjrj.aspx?id=15
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2016, 07:46:41 am »
See member mojoe's comments on the accuracy comparison between the 2 SDM3055 units that he owns:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/siglent-sdm3055-comparison/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2016, 03:37:34 pm »
Despite having looked at several video review on YouTube and read most of posting in this 3ad is still unclear to me if the actual display refresh rate in slow mode with maximum precision settings is 1/s or 5/s.

In addition, for dual reading mode like DCV & DCI, is 1/s the max refresh rate regardless the settings ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2016, 07:38:39 pm »
Despite having looked at several video review on YouTube and read most of posting in this 3ad is still unclear to me if the actual display refresh rate in slow mode with maximum precision settings is 1/s or 5/s.

In addition, for dual reading mode like DCV & DCI, is 1/s the max refresh rate regardless the settings ?
The display refresh rate was improved in a previous FW release after some criticism on reviews and ATM the trigger LED would seem to be flashing ~5/sec and the last significant digits appear to be updating at the same rate.(Slow refresh)

Dual readings remain the same; 1 range for 1s, then the other selected range for 1s, both of which are being updated at the user selected rate.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf