Author Topic: Siglent New SDS800X HD First Bactch Unboxing And Tests And Teardown !  (Read 21954 times)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent New SDS800X HD First Bactch Unboxing And Tests And Teardown !
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2023, 02:00:40 pm »
Picoscope 5K are excellent versatile tools, but I mostly agree about the limitations you mention, except perhaps...

limited measurement statistics and history count

Picoscope 7 software example:

..and I don't understand your reasoning for this statement:
and the actual dynamic range is nowhere near what could be expected from a high-definition scope.

I cannot speak as to what someone else meant, but I do know that variable res Picos (5444D for instance) in 16 bit mode don't approach dedicated 16 bit scope ENOB. Also even in 12 bit mode they have max sampling rate of 500 MS/s, that drops to 125 MS/s at 3+ channels used.
Compare that to 12 bit scopes we are talking about here that will sample at worst case of 500MS/s and up to 2GS/s for cheapest SDS800XHD.

Comparisons should be like for like.

Of course a person can have simple needs and only priority could be, for instance, maximum BW. In which case you go get that at cheapest price and disregard resolution, math, measurements, statistics, bode, and all kinds of other analysis options.

But if we are comparing, that "high BW and nothing else" scope is NOT the same as the one with full analysis options and capabilities.

So if more advanced scope is much more expensive you make a decision to not pay for stuff you don't need and will never use and get simple high BW scope.

Or if price difference is not much, you get better scope, even if you don't have immediate plans to use all of that. But it doesn't hurt to have more capability and who know maybe you will learn that it might be useful to you after all. If you can afford it, of course.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2023, 02:02:01 pm »
"Ah, but I can buy it online in China and send it over..." Sure but, bypassing the legal matters
What legal matters?

1st to mind: selling devices intended only for Chinese market to the outside. Don't say it's not a problem for the buyer, as I never said that.

Offline points2

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2023, 02:13:40 pm »
hi Mechatrommer,
now (tax included?): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-sds800x-hd-first-bactch-unboxing-and-noise-compare-with-dho800/msg5249739/#msg5249739
thanks for presenting the prices in Euro...
In Malaysia, you may buy thru tabao & get these scope @ chinese prices.
In Europe (I guess in any western country), the custom will put the parcel aside, and prepare the bill to pay the duties... and if we don't pay this extra, the custom will keep this lovely scope. Hown much is this "extra" ? I don't know, but the final price will be far from your figures !

It's pretty much like viewing a nice waveform on scope... but voltage is wrong because you set an attenuation 100:1 with your 10:1 probe !  :)
Thanks anyway.
But I prefer to wait for the real prices from local resellers
Nice new year's eve to everyone ! :-+

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2023, 02:24:21 pm »
1st to mind: selling devices intended only for Chinese market to the outside. Don't say it's not a problem for the buyer, as I never said that.
But then you are assuming it is a problem for the seller without actually knowing making it speculation based on arbitrary assumptions.

I mean I agree with you that comparing prices from Taobao to what is available makes no sense due to the effort and risk in buying that item (risk being, getting a brick instead of an item, getting something else, not getting the item, warranty claims, list goes on).

But legally from the buyer there is no problem, I can write a blog post about this but in the western world you'll make more progress hammering your head against a wall than trying to restrict a market and defending that in a court case.

And legally from the seller's persective that is none of our business.  Even if Siglent aren't happy with it, that isn't something they need to make our problem, that is their problem.

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2023, 02:51:10 pm »
But then you are assuming it is a problem for the seller without actually knowing making it speculation based on arbitrary assumptions.

I mean I agree with you that comparing prices from Taobao to what is available makes no sense due to the effort and risk in buying that item (risk being, getting a brick instead of an item, getting something else, not getting the item, warranty claims, list goes on).

But legally from the buyer there is no problem, I can write a blog post about this but in the western world you'll make more progress hammering your head against a wall than trying to restrict a market and defending that in a court case.

And legally from the seller's persective that is none of our business.  Even if Siglent aren't happy with it, that isn't something they need to make our problem, that is their problem.

In europe there is just no defense for a company trying to forbid or punish a customer for buying anything, anywhere, as long as it's not a legally forbidden/restricted good.

That being said, not having legal coverage for warranty, returns or support, or legal standing to try and enforce it is a legal problem. It's not "problems with the law", though.
Probably just linguistics.

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2023, 02:55:54 pm »
In europe there is just no defense for a company trying to forbid or punish a customer for buying anything, anywhere, as long as it's not a legally forbidden/restricted good.

Except if it is music, movies, sports, etc. Then it is 100% ok to segment the world into zones so you can have different pricing and release dates. Lobbyism works well in the EU as well.

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2023, 03:04:24 pm »

Except if it is music, movies, sports, etc. Then it is 100% ok to segment the world into zones so you can have different pricing and release dates. Lobbyism works well in the EU as well.
Well, it's not exactly the same, but you are right, companies are winning in that regard. It remains to be seen whether they can actually forbide or punish you for purchasing outside your segment, legally speaking. In Europe TOS enforcement between companies and customers has not worked quite well so far.

If you want to fight against that just don't get into subscription models at all, they are a scam anyway.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2023, 03:22:32 pm »

The problem with this debate on a forum is that law is incredible nuanced and you are already mixing different definitions of goods from the legal perspective because to you are comparable.
Physical goods, vs digital goods vs services.
Streaming is a service and downloaded media are digital goods with copyright per country.

Restriction of physical goods is thoroughly tested in the EU and US, you have no prospect of success and doing a quick google the last company to try this was against Amazon.  They weren't even granted an appeal (in the EU) on the grounds that they have no prospect of success.

If you have a movie/CD/etc. as physical media, then the region restriction again is not enforceable (the companies tried that).

You'd need to prove it is fake or stolen, ie. crime or infringing on trademark.  Else you are trying to argue to restrict a free market which is not only against EU law it is against international law.

Law is highly nuanced and we can spend a lot of pages discussing it, there is a lot of case law you can freely browse on this if you are interested about physical goods.

The only exceptions to physical goods is for example deemed exports in the US.  Similar exists in the EU.  Basically things the US deems critical to their safety and security.  Trade secrets but at the spy level.  I work for a large US conglomerate and for example I'm not allowed access to our drone technology because it is a deemed export.  There is a list of these technologies you can browse.  ASML was made a de-facto monopoly for example because of deemed exports.

Anyway this is all OT, there is no legal boundry to buying from China.  If you claim as such, link to the case or law explicitly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 03:26:55 pm by GnomeZA »

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2023, 03:47:35 pm »
If you have a movie/CD/etc. as physical media, then the region restriction again is not enforceable (the companies tried that).

The restriction to sell CDs and DVDs imported from USA in the EU is explicitly encoded into EU law. It is not totally off topic because one need to understand the difference from that and to selling imported Siglent Scopes. The difference is simply that the movie industry lobbied to get an exception put into law.

As you also might have noticed, DVDs have region encoding, such that devices sold in the EU even refuses to play imported DVDs from USA. That by itself would have been illegal if they did not have an exception to make it explicitly legal.

It is very much enforceable and here (in Denmark) we had some large cases with import companies that got shut down.

However equipment manufactures played the game of being easily hackable to break the system.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2023, 03:52:43 pm »
The restriction to sell CDs and DVDs imported from USA in the EU is explicitly encoded into EU law
Can you link to that?

As you also might have noticed, DVDs have region encoding, such that devices sold in the EU even refuses to play imported DVDs from USA. That by itself would have been illegal if they did not have an exception to make it explicitly legal.

It is very much enforceable and here (in Denmark) we had some large cases with import companies that got shut down.

However equipment manufactures played the game of being easily hackable to break the system.

Bypassing the region restrictions on DVD could not be restricted based on the physical goods laws IIRC, they used the argument that bypassing the restriction was tantamount to hacking software.  Again IIRC the case was against selling devices that bypassed the restriction, not the media itself.

I did see that Denmark had some backwards law around this but I couldn't find a EU law that explicitly restricted sales of even DVDs based on region.  I would love for a link to that.

Far as I can tell the EU is strictly against it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code#Criticism_and_legal_concerns (I know this is wikipedia but I can't find a single link to anything listing any kind of legal allowance to restrict physical media sales based on region).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 03:55:15 pm by GnomeZA »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2023, 05:38:10 pm »
"Ah, but I can buy it online in China and send it over..." Sure but, bypassing the legal matters
What legal matters?

The buyer will not have legal problems, but will probably not get any warranty from Siglent. The seller is probably violating their contract with Siglent which allows them to only sell domestically.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2023, 07:02:32 pm »
Certiprime MSOX2024A will get you twice the speed and logic probe for less.
So you’re throwing in a used 8 bit(!) entry level scope, limited to 200 MHz max. with short memory, heavily decimated measurements and short FFT, without 50 ohm inputs, with poor sensitivity (everything below 4 mV/div is just fake) and only 5 digits frequency counter, that lacks history mode and where even basic features like mask testing, segmented memory or basic decoders are (expensive) options? Seriously?
It's been shown that the KS's 8 bit ADS, with the hi-res mode has about the same ENOB than these 12 bit scopes.
And maybe what you are writing is true, but at least that scope will be able to draw an eye diagram for a SPI bus, something that is on every 1 USD microcontroller. Or debug a mixed signal system.

analysis options and capabilities.

So if more advanced scope
Oh this again. I think we explained it already. Nobody cares, because we don't use the scopes that way, because we don't see the point.
Also, having 50 Ohm input on a 100MHz scope is really useful, you can like divide your almost DC signal in two.

Anyway, Happy new year everyone, and just accept that some people will have different opinions.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2023, 07:23:53 pm »
Certiprime MSOX2024A will get you twice the speed and logic probe for less.
So you’re throwing in a used 8 bit(!) entry level scope, limited to 200 MHz max. with short memory, heavily decimated measurements and short FFT, without 50 ohm inputs, with poor sensitivity (everything below 4 mV/div is just fake) and only 5 digits frequency counter, that lacks history mode and where even basic features like mask testing, segmented memory or basic decoders are (expensive) options? Seriously?
It's been shown that the KS's 8 bit ADS, with the hi-res mode has about the same ENOB than these 12 bit scopes.
And maybe what you are writing is true, but at least that scope will be able to draw an eye diagram for a SPI bus, something that is on every 1 USD microcontroller. Or debug a mixed signal system.

analysis options and capabilities.

So if more advanced scope
Oh this again. I think we explained it already. Nobody cares, because we don't use the scopes that way, because we don't see the point.
Also, having 50 Ohm input on a 100MHz scope is really useful, you can like divide your almost DC signal in two.

Anyway, Happy new year everyone, and just accept that some people will have different opinions.

Shown where? KS with Hi-res will have that ENOB until what frequency? Please show data and references.
What do you mean it can draw and Eye diagram on SPI bus ?? how ?
I know my 3000T can do mask testing of an eye on FlexRay and CAN by using special scripts. And those are basically using mask test with a trick. Useful though, better than nothing.
But first Infiniivision scope that has Eye diagrams is 6000 series..

As I also explained before, and again you. You not caring is not same as nobody cares.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, KungFuJosh

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2024, 09:11:42 am »
Picoscope 7 software example:

Many professionals stick to version 6 just because they don’t have time to adapt their workflow and be beta testers for a completely new software, where up to recently there have not always been positive comments from the early adopters out there. Even the most recent datasheet for the Pico 5000D series refers to PicoScope 6 (only) whenever a specification depends on the software.

And in PicoScope 6, the max segments are limited to 10k, which isn’t a real problem most of the time, but still some order of magnitude less than even an SDS1000X-E and the measurement statistics is limited to 1000 and cannot be set to “Unlimited”.

..and I don't understand your reasoning for this statement:
and the actual dynamic range is nowhere near what could be expected from a high-definition scope.
Yes, this statement was a bit harsh and reflected mostly the frustration about a “16 bit” mode that, despite its limitations with regard to sample rate, doesn’t even come near the 4262, which in turn actually reaches the theoretical maximum that can be expected from 16 bits.

In 12 bit mode we have to live with the fact that the already low sample rate of only 125 MSa/s (4 analog plus digital channels) is further cut in half in 12 bit mode. As a comparison, the 12 bit SDS2000X HD has 1 GSa/s in the very same situation. As a consequence, the Pico 5444D cannot be called a 200 MHz Realtime scope, it is rather <60 MHz in 8 bit mode and <30 MHz in 12 bit mode. Hardly comparable with something like the SDS2000X HD.

Noise is the ultimately limiting factor for the dynamic range. It is specified as 110 µV RMS for the “200 MHz” 5000D and 45 µV RMS for the 20 MHz 4000A. You see the difference?

Noise (with 10 Mpts record length, lower bandwidth limit = 100 Hz) is just 55 µV RMS for the 200 MHz Siglent SDS2204X HD. The latter would have only 28 µV RMS in a comparable situation to the Pico 4000A (2 mV/div and 20 MHz bandwidth limit).

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2024, 01:23:17 pm »
Shown where? KS with Hi-res will have that ENOB until what frequency? Please show data and references.
I know my 3000T can do mask testing of an eye on FlexRay and CAN by using special scripts. And those are basically using mask test with a trick. Useful though, better than nothing.

As I also explained before, and again you. You not caring is not same as nobody cares.

I'm not going to spend hours googling around for you, so you can pick some irrelevant characteristics like "this scope has 4 math channel therefore it's better". Even though the only reason to have 4 math channels is to post pictures online to brag about 4 math channels.
BTW you do eye diagrams by turning on persistence. Since we have been doing it since the 90s, but I guess if it's not in the scope it's impossible to do a measurement.
I'm not interested in continuing this conversation with you. As I said, my opinion is that the scope is too expensive for what it is, and I don't need to justify it to you or anyone else. And actually siglent has the means to fix that, since it is 50% more expensive than in other markets, but they are happy with the pricing.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2024, 01:43:34 pm »

Yes, this statement was a bit harsh and reflected mostly the frustration about a “16 bit” mode that, despite its limitations with regard to sample rate, doesn’t even come near the 4262, which in turn actually reaches the theoretical maximum that can be expected from 16 bits.

Exactly why we have the 4262!

Not a fan of scopes (or any instrument) that require a laptop, so 4262 sees little use, altho when needed it performs well with True core 16 bit ADC.

Happy New Year!!

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2024, 02:16:27 pm »

I'm not going to spend hours googling around for you, so you can pick some irrelevant characteristics like "this scope has 4 math channel therefore it's better". Even though the only reason to have 4 math channels is to post pictures online to brag about 4 math channels.
BTW you do eye diagrams by turning on persistence. Since we have been doing it since the 90s, but I guess if it's not in the scope it's impossible to do a measurement.
I'm not interested in continuing this conversation with you. As I said, my opinion is that the scope is too expensive for what it is, and I don't need to justify it to you or anyone else. And actually siglent has the means to fix that, since it is 50% more expensive than in other markets, but they are happy with the pricing.

I genuinely don't want to argue with you. You are very knowledgeable and intelligent person. Many things you post are very smart and useful.

But sometimes you just post a blurb of some unconnected data without explanation and declare how that is all the truth for everybody in universe and then double down anybody that contradicts you is idiot. I presume that you have quite some experience, thought process and time in those statements and you probably simply did not want to write whole thing, just results....

Example of confusing parts:
"And maybe what you are writing is true, but at least that scope will be able to draw an eye diagram for a SPI bus" stated for old Keysight scope..

Reading that it seems that scope has some built in capability to do eye diagrams and the other ones mentioned cannot.
Then you say (in patronizing tone) that I'm clueless how it is been done for years and that all you need is persistence mode..

First, even old DS1000Z has persistence mode. So literally any scope can do that including Siglent you are throwing mud at.

And, no, that is not "proper" eye diagram. Because you don't have clock recovery and no measurements for it.
You need 2x clock and alternating trigger to get proper eye diagram.
If you use SPI clock you will get something that looks alike but left edge will be aligned to trigger point.
Oh actually, on Siglent mentioned you can enable histograms and extract some usable data from that "makeshift eye".
And yes I certainly used this technique occasionally to get idea what is going on.
But "eye diagram" it is not.

Also, your ego is enormous. If you don't use math channels, or don't know what are they used for, because in your line of work you don't need them, that rule applies only to you. Not the rest of the universe.

I use math channels all the time. From FFT, to multiplying 2 channels to get power, to scaling sensor data etc etc.
On Picoscope I wrote math channel that was decoding decoder position, stepping of stepper etc..... One stuff I still miss on Siglent is digital channels as math source...

So yes, if you make outlandish statements it is your burden to prove them. Or we call bullshit and ignore it..
That is just the way it is. I have data to prove my point, where is your data?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 02:19:17 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2024, 02:35:18 pm »
I have data to prove my point, where is your data?
No my mistake was to try to justify it with data, and match the price, when it is not about that.
A Dacia at 20K might be to expensive, and a Mercedes at 50K might be cheap. It might be that they even have matching list of extras. Or the same amount of horsepower.
Someone driving a Dacia will ridicule everyone else, because they spend all that money on those expensive cars. And when they both go on a long trip, turns out one car is more comfortable than the other. And the resale value is better. And it's not as noisy. And it delivers those horsepower in a more refined way. Same way I wouldn't spend 3K on a Siglent, while I really regret not buying a refurbished MSOX3104 for about 5-6K a few years ago. They are a lot more expensive today.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2024, 03:51:46 pm »
I have data to prove my point, where is your data?
No my mistake was to try to justify it with data, and match the price, when it is not about that.
A Dacia at 20K might be to expensive, and a Mercedes at 50K might be cheap. It might be that they even have matching list of extras. Or the same amount of horsepower.
Someone driving a Dacia will ridicule everyone else, because they spend all that money on those expensive cars. And when they both go on a long trip, turns out one car is more comfortable than the other. And the resale value is better. And it's not as noisy. And it delivers those horsepower in a more refined way. Same way I wouldn't spend 3K on a Siglent, while I really regret not buying a refurbished MSOX3104 for about 5-6K a few years ago. They are a lot more expensive today.

Fair enough. You would not.

My opinion?
I also have MSOX3104T. Good scope. Many good sides, many things severely limiting. But summa summarum , good scope.

MSOX2024A = horribile scope.
If you don't like Siglent get a Rigol MSO5000 instead for the fraction of money.

Or get SDS2104X+, for a just a bit more than Rigol for superior analog performance. Or stick with Rigol if you need 2 ch AWG.

Comparisons with cars are hugely wrong. Cars are consumer items where 80% of price is luxury and prestige.

Anyways, I wish you good health and good fortunes in a New Year. Long may we disagree in peace...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 03:54:48 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: tszaboo, derree

Offline Dull Mill

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2024, 02:15:00 am »
I have a SDS2204X Plus now, how do I downgrade him to make him a SDS2104X Plus with bandwidth down from 200M to 100M? :)

Offline PELLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2024, 04:13:57 am »
I have a SDS2204X Plus now, how do I downgrade him to make him a SDS2104X Plus with bandwidth down from 200M to 100M? :)

Is there any reason to limit the bandwidth to 100M instead of using built-in 20M limit option?

Offline Dull Mill

« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2024, 09:28:58 am »
Sorry, maybe there is something wrong with my expression, I need like an option bandwidth upgrade, I want to know if there is a way to reduce the bandwidth, such as 200M down to 100M, SDS2204XPlus down to SDS2104X Plus. ;)

Offline Dull Mill

« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2024, 09:33:26 am »
Because I upgraded the company's machine, but I didn't want them to find out, to avoid trouble. :(

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2024, 09:35:07 am »
Sorry, maybe there is something wrong with my expression, I need like an option bandwidth upgrade, I want to know if there is a way to reduce the bandwidth, such as 200M down to 100M, SDS2204XPlus down to SDS2104X Plus. ;)

First of all this is a topic about completely unrelated scope.
Second, in a SDS2000X+ hack topic it is all explained several times how you apply BW license, even going down in BW.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Dull Mill

« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2024, 09:59:57 am »
I read in the posting how to upgrade BW, not how to lower it. :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf