Author Topic: Siglent SDG1000 (aka LeCroy WaveStation) firmware updates  (Read 53745 times)

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDG1000 (aka LeCroy WaveStation) firmware updates
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2015, 07:53:19 pm »
"Fennec" unit serial is  SDG00003120xxx  (manufactured 2012)

Yepp.

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2015, 06:18:40 am »

Yepp.
I am sorry that firmware updating deleted your SN,  but it will not affect other functions. If you flash Lecroy's firmware,  the SN will be lost. and you still have the SN on the back and box. So they are still on warranty.
we are working on a new firmware to avoid this situation, thanks for your feedback.
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2015, 07:01:25 am »

Yepp.
I am sorry that firmware updating deleted your SN,  but it will not affect other functions. If you flash Lecroy's firmware,  the SN will be lost. and you still have the SN on the back and box. So they are still on warranty.
we are working on a new firmware to avoid this situation, thanks for your feedback.

Perhaps IF flash with Teledyne LeCroy FW. I have not any experience about this.

It happends also in some cases just with Siglent FW.  This I'm absolutely sure.
It have happend to me (1-2 year ago) when I update SDG1000 series factory new eguipment and absolutely sure these have never seen any bit of Teledyne LeCroy FW's. Just genuine FW what I get directly from Siglent.  What I do not remember is what FW version it was and not anymore sure what HW (!) version.
So, this is not nessessary first suspect that someone have updated Siglent using LeCroy and this is reason. Siglent FW for SDG1000 can do this for Siglent SDG1000.

In this old case Siglent tell me that it do not affect warranty because serial is known (in bacside label).
Every customer who buy from me get also invoice/receip where is full details for possible warranty handling including also serial number and seller reference data for Siglent service and of course end user purchase date.

Serial is only one string in special position in the hardware (and "perhaps" there is some differencies between different hardwares related to serial number). This bug really do not affect any other things than serial number display.

Some manufactures ask your serial number, HW and FW versions etc and then they send FW update if they peoples are not too tired for customer care..  This is more safe way due to continuous develop in equipment hardwares.  Perhaps Rigol is right and it is not wise to share public downloadable FW updates?
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2015, 11:17:11 am »
I have had the Lecroy firmware on my SDG1010 but I could replace that with Siglent's firmware without a problem. I think one of the problems is that the update process itself is weird. When I update the firmware I suddenly find myself in the 'data recall menu (???) I then select the firmware file on the USB stick and press recall. After that nothing happens. No progress indicator. No indication the update was succesful. After some time the keypad starts to respond again...
It takes a power cycle to activate the new firmware. IMHO this way of updating firmware is prone to users switching their equipment off/on before the firmware has been updated properly.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2015, 09:07:15 am »
I just tried to flash the LeCroy firmware to my new SDG1010, doesn't work. The error message is "Update failed!" I don't know if it's because of the newer hardware version or the latest LeCroy firmware (1.01.02.36) doesn't like to be flashed to a Siglent device.
Flashing the latest Siglent firmware is no problem.

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2015, 04:44:47 pm »
Well, the SDG1000 is a toy, as a reliable tool it's really crap. The only thing it's really good at is to create a jittery signal, which is nice for playing around with the jitter analysis tools of my scope, but that's about it.

The money I pad for the SDG1020 was not money well spent. So even if I had 'bricked' the damn thing this would not have been a huge loss (and I'm sure even then it could be revived by removing the flash and flashing it externally). So there was nothing bold in what I did.

Did you have a chance to test the SDG2000X series? Would like to hear your opinion on that model.
Is the SDG2000X also rebranded by LeCroy under the WaveStation series?

Are you sure that your SDG1020 is not one of the early versions which had actual hardware issues? I read in another forum thread that Siglent did some fixes in the hardware stage in newer revisions to tackle some jitter issues.

Offline WuerstchenhundTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2015, 07:01:28 pm »
Did you have a chance to test the SDG2000X series? Would like to hear your opinion on that model.

No, I haven't. I was initially tempted to buy a SDG2000X to replace my Rigol DG1062z but then just got a Keysight 33522B. Not only because I was fed up with playing beta tester for Siglent's immature firmware, but also because the software that comes with the SDG2000X is the same crap EasyWave tool that they provided for their other AWGs.

At the moment and after my experiences with Siglent kit I'm not planning to buy any of their kit in the near future. Even less so after their recent episode of trying to rig prices.

Is the SDG2000X also rebranded by LeCroy under the WaveStation series?

Not yet, maybe in the future (and probably depending on how mature the firmware is). The current WaveStations are SDG1000 and SDG5000 rebrands.

Well, the SDG1000 is a toy, as a reliable tool it's really crap. The only thing it's really good at is to create a jittery signal, which is nice for playing around with the jitter analysis tools of my scope, but that's about it.

The money I pad for the SDG1020 was not money well spent. So even if I had 'bricked' the damn thing this would not have been a huge loss (and I'm sure even then it could be revived by removing the flash and flashing it externally). So there was nothing bold in what I did.

Are you sure that your SDG1020 is not one of the early versions which had actual hardware issues? I read in another forum thread that Siglent did some fixes in the hardware stage in newer revisions to tackle some jitter issues.

Are you seriously asking me that because of a posting that I made almost three years ago and which pretty much predates the time when Siglent found that this was a hardware issue with their earlier revisions? 

But to answer your question, yes, this was one of the older hardware variants, and I later fixed it which did improve the original jitter issue a lot (it didn't disappear, though, but that was to be expected from a simple DDS AWG). Considering the low price it was an OK-ish generator, but I then quickly sold it because of the small sample memory and the crap software, and bought a Rigol DG1062z instead (there's a review of mine somewhere on the forum).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:07:42 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Arses

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2016, 09:11:16 am »
I just tried to flash the LeCroy firmware to my new SDG1010, doesn't work. The error message is "Update failed!" I don't know if it's because of the newer hardware version or the latest LeCroy firmware (1.01.02.36) doesn't like to be flashed to a Siglent device.

I have exactly the same situation, the latest firmware (1.01.02.36) is not applicable. Someone has an older version of the firmware file that you can put in SDG1020? Please share with us, PM. Thanks!

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2016, 07:43:54 pm »
I was playing sometimes too with update files and missed opportunity to try Lecroy WaveStation firmware.
I opened there all kind of different firmware files and extracted all kind of files.
In here I look inside SDG1000-V100R001B01D01P31.ADS and You can download (I think) unpacked app file.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg984626/#msg984626
Inside is readable text and Siglent logo and more... this time was there different Lecroy version? But second
file I have is lets say P36 from Siglent and L36 from Lecroy. I unpacked them and tried to hack them together.
Something I got but... It says "don't match the model"... what is the differences. Fpga data file is exactly the
same and half of firmware file too.
You can look into firmware files and search for "sdg10" and "wavestation" and search other differences.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:53:23 pm by janekivi »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2016, 08:03:09 pm »
So... If I flash SDG1000 with Lecroy firmware I can use it fine, but...
there is NAG screen. And message tells you to update to correct
firmware. And how? Of course after you wait the time and generator
startup and working fine and you go to update menu and do it.
The same thing if you flash Lecroy with SDG firmware. I'm sure after
comparing codes.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2016, 09:04:32 pm »
I seem to recall the only real advantage of the LeCroy firmware was so it would work with their Labview drivers. Siglent didn't have any at the time, but they do now. (It is/was really very easy to hack the LeCroy Labview driver to change the *IDN? string check anyway)

Also the channel swap - CH1 and CH2 are not backward.

Then the colour scheme - yes, as a Red Green colourblind (like >10% of all males) the channel colours for Siglent are insane. I have to double double check what I am working on, LeCroy got this right.

But LeCroy also deleted the frequency counter. Having used it I really quite like it, at least until I find a proper one which I really don't need right now like a HP 53131A

Siglent wins here. If they only allowed the colour scheme to be user adjusted.

The following users thanked this post: nixxon, tautech

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2016, 08:30:15 pm »

I have exactly the same situation, the latest firmware (1.01.02.36) is not applicable. Someone has an older version of the firmware file that you can put in SDG1020? Please share with us, PM. Thanks!

I posted a SDG1020 FW via dropbox a few years ago: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1025-arbitraryfunction-generator-under-some-tests/msg188282/#msg188282

I hope it is still downloadable... It is still downloadable  :-+ Not downloadable anymore as of 2018OCT5  :--
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:24:44 pm by nixxon »

Offline michelinux

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2016, 09:31:25 pm »
I have a Siglent SDG1025. Since 8th of July 2015 Siglent has released a new version of firmware: 1.01.01.37R3 (http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=1356&tid=15)

In the ChangeLog/Release Notes file I read:

- Added boot up language selection
- Fixed the Sweep error

Sorry for the poor image.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf