Author Topic: Lecroy Wavepro 7Zi LCD panel connector description wanted / Win11 upgrade  (Read 854 times)

Offline bartverTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello all,

I'm looking for the pinout description of the LCD connectors on the graphics card of a WavePro 7Zi.

I decided to 'pimp' my wavepro 725Zi with a new mainboard.
Using an i3-13100 on a B760M MB with 16G ram and a NVME drive running Windows11 and the new Maui 10.5.0.4 software.
Swapped the mainboard, installed the software, and the scope is working (licenses and all) and is responding very good even with multiple math panels open, but.....

Only on an external monitor.

The original 'graphics card' actually is not a graphics card. It is a board with two Sil1364 chips, which are PCIe to DVI converters for the Intel CPU/Q35 chipset GMA 3100 graphics functions.
One of the Sil1364's goes to the external DVI connector, the second one to a LCD Panel controller (ST GM5621) that drives the LCD panel of the scope.
Obviously that PCIe board is useless in the new mainboard.

The plan is to connect a Displayport to DVI converter, and use another LCD controller to drive the panel. The panel reports as a NEC153, and although not confirmed, i think is a NL12876BC26-32D LCD panel.

I hope someone has more info on the connectors on the original PCIe adapter.

Bart

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
you have other lcd controller with hdmi inputs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/969013681.html

the problems  before anything else   you need to know  the horiz vertical  frequencies   etc  ...  of what you are using

or some buyers will ask you the specs and prepare the card directly for use

and the new card sometimes need to be programmed directly via the hdmi port,  some may directly work and you set the specs like you need  ??

« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 05:39:14 pm by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
Correct,

I want to use displayport for two reasons - i want to keep my hdmi port free because the maui software supports a second screen and i have a nice hdmi monitor
Displayport to DVI is cheap and simple.

and i want to use this https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005006388430693.html
Which actually seems to support this display, at least the same size screen.

If no one has any specifications, analyzing and trying to figure out the signals is the only option.

Bart

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
you have some screen est software who can give you specs  like pixels  width height  refresh  etc ...

and once you have them   you order the needed pcb who as the right interface for you

but as i told you  normally they need programming to fit your lcd specs ... ask the seller

if possible, you should revert back all your mobo changes, test everything with the original cards to get your needed specs, maybe you acted too fast  ... 

and the screen properties in windows could have told you some specs ...

and for  win 11  you gain nothing, win10 is way sufficient and more easy to control

so far the NL12876BC26-32D  specs would give you this :
Diagonal Size (in)    15.3
Pixel Resolution    1280 x 768
https://www.data-modul.com/sites/default/files/products/NL12876BC26-32D-specification-12032987.pdf

and one problem is:  do they use in 6 bit or 8 bit,  you have to decode all the lvds connections,  note the pinout

i think on your mobo  i would have used an pcie  splitter  to get 2x pxie slots  and smack the SIL XXXX cards
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 03:17:30 am by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
Correct,

Found the info you refer to already.
The MB has 2x PCIe16 slots (one is x4). The interface card to the analog frontend is a x4 PCIe adapter.
The MB also lets me set the PCIe speed from PCIe v1 to v5, but auto setting works fine.

I used Win11 because the Win10 IOT LTSC image i have has no drivers for the new 13th generation cpu's
Did some trials with drivers from the Asrock MB website, and just did not bother testing more, win11 installed fine.
LTSC version has my preference, don't like updating all the time.

I reasssembled the scope to original already, indeed to analyze the signals.

Thanks for your input !!

Bart

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
ok  for win 11  i understand  loll
 can you show us   photos of the secondary pcb's     and the mobo  and how the cards are in it

if ths scope works as original
use  crtl alt delete  to invoke task manager and kill the scope application(s)
that way you revert to a pc working mode, and try to get all the specs, from the screen configs, refresh rates etc  ...

you meant  you have 1x card for the screen,   and 1x card to link the pc side to the scope side is that it ?  and the scop frame  take only mini atx formats ??

• Contributor
Ok,

The Scope supports standard MicroATX format, and even the mounting posts are on standard positions as in a regular MicroATX cabinet.
I had to shorten one post because my MB (Asrock B760M PG Lightning) lacks one hole. Just shortened it and put a nylon M3 bolt in it as a isolated standoff.
I only had to extend one case-fan connector cable, the rest of all cabling can simply be re-positioned slightly to connect to the slightly different positioned connectors on the MB. You have to cut some tie-raps...

As the original CPU is a Core2 Quad cpu Q9300 2.5GHz with a 95W TDP, I chose the i3-13100 to stay within the same power-range, as i did not know how much headroom the internal Power Supply has. And as the I3 is way-way faster than the Q9300, so i decided not to go with an even faster, more power-consuming CPU.

The original MB is a Radisys Endura Q35 Motherboard 'PL35Q'. And I just looked for a MB with same physical layout.
The graphics adapter has no designation i could find, if you search for 'Sil1364 PCIe adapter' you will find loads of them, just none with the LCD controller part on it.

The Scope has one x4 PCI card, purpose build by Lecroy (its branded Lecroy) and it uses a SAS/Infiniband-style (I think SFF-8087) connector and a RJ45 with UTP cable to connect to the analog frontend. I assume the SAS connector is for the raw capture data , the connector is normally used in for four high speed differential channels, the rj45 for some sort of communication channel.
It will show up as a 'Lecroy Data Acquisition device' and a 'Lecroy Acq Board Device'  in the device manager.

To get to the windows control plane from the software, simply go to 'file' and 'exit' in the menu, and it will exit the scope application.
All the info shown, is that the monitor is a NEC153, running 1280x768 at 61 hz, and that the graphics card is a GMA3100 - Intel Q35 chipset family.

Replacing the Mainboard etc worked like a charm, the only thing not working is the LCD panel.

I'll measure the interface probably in a week or two, and will try to find out voltages needed etc. I'll order the LCD controller to test.
One thing left to do is find similar mating connector to the original cable that connects to the graphics card, so i can create a small PCB to connect it to, not ready yet to change connectors on the cable.

Unless someone has a service manual ;-)

Bart

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
ok thks    thats why i asked some pictures, that way we can identify a few things

all the Sil1364 i see, have a dvi output interface ?  i do see  pcie 4x or 8x ones,  and ones with the full pcie lenght pins ??
for the connector(s) if it white / beige, it could be an Hirose brand, they are popular ??  but as i wrote  not seeing things doesn't help you

some motherboards have lvds connectors on them

on Aliexpress   you can find some lvds cables you can sometimes match to your needs

not being rude,  but your mobo choice has ripped you off of some options on the pci pcie ports ....   

you do have mini pcie card with lvds interface, or standard pcie with the same lvds interface ...

EDIT

found this one with the lvds connector   
https://advdownload.advantech.com/productfile/PIS/AIMB-LVDS-00A1E/Product%20-%20Datasheet/ADD2%20Cards_DS(06.13.12)20120626215529.pdf

but they are based on Chrontel chipsets who are very good too ...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 09:50:43 pm by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
Hi,

well, the Sil1364 is a SDVO to DVI transmitter, the only output is DVI yes.

On the length of the card, that's in line with the PCIe standard, you can put a x4 card in a x16 slot, and it will figure out it can only use 4 serial links to aggregate the bandwith. IF the board has a physical x16 length, but only x4 pins on the pcb, well, it won't fit in a regular x4 slot. Most cases because the x16 slot has special functions, like swithcing between regular PCIe lanes to special purpose internal graphics links.

If you look further into the boards you mention in your link, you will find that these are specifically used for LGA775 Mainboards, and connect to the graphics signal from that chipset "ADD2 cards utilize the PCIe x16 port to receive SDVO signals from the North Bridge."
Essentially these boards do exactly the same what the Sil1364 boards do, they connect to the internal graphics function in the chipset. They are not a graphics adapter either. And specfic to that MB Northbridge chipset.

On the choice of mainboard, well, most (consumer) mainboards for the 13th Generation Intels feature a x16 and a x1 slot, sometimes in combination with a PCI slot. But, there are a number of MB's with a x16 and a x4, and i chose one.
As i will never use my scope wireless, and most of them that have wifi have the antenna-connectors near the top of the board where the interface for the MS250/MS500 is (which i use) and because i did not want to introduce RF signal internally in the scope, i decided not to pay the 35-40 euro's extra for something i did not want there.
I basically needed only two PCIe slots and one NVME interface. Ethernet, USB etc on the backplane, and it had to feature 2 dualport USB headers internally, to connect the front USB ports of the scope, and the touch interface.
Another reason to go for this board is that is uses DDR5 memory, as most Math functions in the scope are memory bound, the faster the memory, the faster the scope.

There are industrial boards available that have an LVDS interface , like the Asrock IMB-X1314 . But they go for 4x or more the price of a regular consumer Mainboard.
And i still have to figure out to get the lvds interface working, and get the cabling/connector etc...
The use of regular MB made more sense, certainly because i was not sure the 'old' Lecroy interface would work in a PCIe Gen5 mainboard.

So far the test cost me less then 400 Euro's (MB + CPU+16G RAM+512G NVMe), i took a change knowing if it wouldn't work i would use the parts building a small workstation i need.
But so far it works, just have to solve the LCD issue.

Bart

« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 07:13:34 am by bartver »

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
hi  thks

unless you run some external cables to hook up to the lcd  converter board

i have this in mind
https://www.versalogic.com/product/video-expansion-module/

specs docs  etc ....

and the pricing i dont know ??           erk    :palm:  https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/VL-MPEE-V5E/1241-1238-ND/4895622

or some internal usb3 to vga / dvi  or even hdmi  interface / dongle / adapter ??    thoses are not chipset dependent ...
i have them in usb2   helped me a few times with old lappy

damn 

well in the end   you have to find out the card pinouts ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355009190092?   60$ usd ?

or even some idea like this  https://www.ebay.com/itm/404610637979?     any video card with the flexible vga cable ....
you take out the flexible vga / wiring  and you can apply / make one longer going to  your lcd interface board ??  or do some male to female flat cable  etc ... and you would not be chipset dependent and  have more efficiency since you have a real vdo card,   who will offload the cpu,   you have some fanless ones around ??
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 09:44:59 am by coromonadalix »

Offline MilkmanCDN

• Contributor
Pictures please.   I have been tinkering with doing the same thing on my WavePro 760Zi.   Upgrade processor, memory, network connectivity, and monitor (resolution).   It would be nice to see the internals of the 725Zi, which I assume is near identical to mine.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
i would stay on win 10  not 11   i found out on 11 23h2, 24h2  will be worse

If you have drivers that microsoft dont like, they will be blocked  ...     i had perfectly running stuff on win10  genuine intel cards and genuine drivers,  and w11 23h2  decided on himself to block that ....  and you gain absolutely nothing, you loose  on the gui side  context menus etc ...

just be on an internal network at home,  nothing who can go to the external world  ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf