Author Topic: SMT probes comparison - Probe Master 8151 Vs Pomona 6341/ TL910 inc X-Ray images  (Read 18287 times)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
I'll add my thanks for the detailed info on these probes.

You motivated me to get a couple of sets of the 8151. Can you comment on your choice of straight vs. right angle banana plug?

Tom

I would think that for a portable DMM (laying flat on the bench), right angle is a better fit and that straight is more 'natural' for a bench DMM where the face of the meter is vertical.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Customengineer,

That Red probe sleeve anomally is a production fault. You are right to return the probe set.

Fraser

Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Can you comment on your choice of straight vs. right angle banana plug?

I would think that for a portable DMM (laying flat on the bench), right angle is a better fit and that straight is more 'natural' for a bench DMM where the face of the meter is vertical.

That's certainly true. If, however, you intend to use the probes with various meters and don't need/want to have dedicated sets, then the straight plugs with retractable shrouds are a good, flexible choice.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
I'd recommend sending that set back, and replace it with a 9000 series set (I've not had the accessory issues you describe, ever).

The 9000 series looks very similar to offerings from other vendors (Pomona, ebay, digikey, etc).

Are there other vendors the use the screw-the-attachments-on-the-main-probe approach of the 8000 series?  Seems more manageable to me, no need to search where did I place the removable main probe tips.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
The 9000 series looks very similar to offerings from other vendors (Pomona, ebay, digikey, etc).

Are there other vendors the use the screw-the-attachments-on-the-main-probe approach of the 8000 series?  Seems more manageable to me, no need to search where did I place the removable main probe tips.
They are; you can connect them to any 4mm banana jack accessories on the market.

And Yes, I've seen screw-on accessories from other vendors such as Fluke/Pomona, Mueller Electric, and Simpson.  :-+ Not sure about Hirschmann, but I'd check them out too. You could also see if you can locate some NOS from Oldaker (they had a fire and are currently non-operational). This stuff, like the 4mm banana's are standardized.

But I have to ask, can't you return them and get something else, Probemaster or otherwise?
There are other well made test probes with threaded tips & silicone wire.  :-//

As per the main probe dilemma for the 9000 series, you could get an additional set of leads (just the wires) and always leave the probe ends connected.   >:D
You wouldn't even have to use Probemaster brand, but I would recommend it as the connector end and probe are the same diameter (connector insulation thickness may vary from other brands). I mention this, as I suspect you'd have an issue if it didn't (would certainly bug me at any rate).

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
With regard to the 'straight' versus 'elbow' plug on the 815x probes...

As has already been stated, it is an issue of what best suits your needs and equipment. Many modern test equipments will accept a 4mm fixed shroud plug...... but many older equipments use a plain 4mm socket that cannot accept such shrouded plugs.

These probe sets are not cheap in the UK so I elected to buy the straight plug version (8151) in order to achieve best compatibility with all of my test equipment. It is possible to purchase 'shrouded to non-shrouded' adapters but that is an additional connection in the probe path. My Fluke 87 III sits at 45 Degrees on my bench so straight plugs are not an issue for me. My bench meters all have vertical fronts that suit straight plugs as well.

An important piece of equipment that I want to use with these probes is the Huntron Tracker and that is equipped with non shrouded 4mm sockets. Shrouded plugs would be a distinct disadvantage for me and safety is not a concern as I will be using the SMT probes at low voltages only.

Hope this helps to explain my decision making process.

Fraser

If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
...But I have to ask, can't you return them and get something else, Probemaster or otherwise?
There are other well made test probes with threaded tips & silicone wire.

Yes, this is probably what I will do. Probemaster seems to be responsive and decent people so I don't expect problem.

I will look for similar design (attachment thread over the main probe) from other vendors and if will no find something I like with keep using the Pomona leads I have now.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
...But I have to ask, can't you return them and get something else, Probemaster or otherwise?
There are other well made test probes with threaded tips & silicone wire.

Yes, this is probably what I will do. Probemaster seems to be responsive and decent people so I don't expect problem.

I will look for similar design (attachment thread over the main probe) from other vendors and if will no find something I like with keep using the Pomona leads I have now.
8)

FWIW, Probemaster will do what they can to make it right from what I've heard (never had to do so myself, so this is second hand info).  :-+

Best of luck getting it sorted to your satisfaction (and quickly as well).  :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor

FWIW, Probemaster will do what they can to make it right from what I've heard (never had to do so myself, so this is second hand info).  :-+

Best of luck getting it sorted to your satisfaction (and quickly as well).  :)

I opened my DMM and realized that there is a clearance of 4mm or so for the banana plug so If I will trim 3-4mm from the shroud it may fit reasonably well. Will wait for the replacement min grabbers before trying the non reversible mod.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
I had sent an email to to probemaster Friday evening (after business hours) about the issue I reported earlier in the thread with the red probe. I received a response today (next business day) that they would ship me out a replacement red probe immediately, and I could either keep or throw away the other probe. Definitely good customer service, and definitely happy customer here.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Got today the replacement min grabbers from Probemaster. These pairs threads easily on the probes and are not sticky. I also shorten about 4mm from the banana shrouds and they now fit my Fluke 107 much better. I like these probes. Life is good.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
FWIW, here is my "x-ray" image of a Fluke TL910 probe that I got the sh1ts with bigtime  >:(.

I couldn't get a steady resistance reading no matter how much each lead was jiggled - anything from 3 to 400  \$\Omega\$. They were second hand so I can't rule out abuse by the previous owner.

Anyway, last year I bought another set from element14 (or RS Components, I can't remember) which I haven't used for about 6 months, and when I measured them today each was reading 3-4.5  \$\Omega\$ consistently. Strangely, after I gave each lead a gentle twist (say 180 degrees) close to the probe handle the resistance reading came down to a consistent 0.1-0.2  \$\Omega\$.

I have no idea why that happened - but I tested each lead in turn and got the same result.

Lecturer: "There is no language in which a double positive implies a negative."
Student:  "Yeah...right."

The following users thanked this post: nukie

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
I have those small Pomona probes, I agree they look fragile but I am used of being carefull with smt stuff like my irons, they are also fragile compared to the standard irons.
Anyway what I do like about the small handles is that I can measure holding both probes with only a single (even left) hand, having one hand free for adjustments on the meter or other handling.
What I do not like is since they lay on my bench a lot they are sharp as hell, and in the last one and a half year have stinged myself on them numerous times even too bleading.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
FWIW, here is my "x-ray" image of a Fluke TL910 probe that I got the sh1ts with bigtime  >:(.

That's quite a detailed "x-ray" imager you have there. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Got today the replacement min grabbers from Probemaster. These pairs threads easily on the probes and are not sticky. I also shorten about 4mm from the banana shrouds and they now fit my Fluke 107 much better. I like these probes. Life is good.

After a few weeks of using the probemasters I must say, I love them. They feel comfortable in the hand, sharp tips, stable contacts, handy grabbers, very flexible wires, wires are right length (I got the 36") and spare parts are available at reasonable cost (just ordered extra tip insulators, 30c each, free shipping). Great products and a great company.

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
After a few weeks of using the probemasters I must say, I love them.

<sigh>Pity they're not available in Australia...

RS Components: no hits
Element14: no hits
Digikey: 4,892,262 hits (their entire stock inventory apparently, so effectively no hits)
Mouser: no hits
Google: the usual mish mash of links that go nowhere having a "buy" button.
Ebay: no hits (not even fake ones oddly)

...well, at least I tried.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
They sell directly rather than through distributors. Fortunately they ship internationally, so it's possible to get a set.   :-+

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
They sell directly rather than through distributors. Fortunately they ship internationally, so it's possible to get a set.   :-+

Usually I don't even consider buying direct from the USA because the shipping to Australia is often outrageous, but it's only $15 USD in this case so I ordered a set...$73 AUD  total. I've cheered up a bit now :D

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Usually I don't even consider buying direct from the USA because the shipping to Australia is often outrageous, but it's only $15 USD in this case so I ordered a set...$73 AUD  total. I've cheered up a bit now :D
I suspect you'll really pleased once you get your hands on them.  :-+

BTW, what's the ETA?

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
BTW, what's the ETA?
...only took 9 days (I stuffed the order up and had to sort that out first). They arrived today and my first impression is very positive.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
...only took 9 days (I stuffed the order up and had to sort that out first). They arrived today and my first impression is very positive.
9 days isn't bad IMHO.  :) Enjoy.  :-+

To put things into perspective, it took 12 calendar days to get my prescription eye glasses from Zenni.com (lab is in China). Just got them yesterday and my initial impression of them is quite good. Now I just need to get them adjusted properly.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
I bought some. I don't need them of course, I would prefer to just keep slipping my probe off irregular surfaces and wasting my time when the grabber hook disconnects from the probe.

I have been meaning to do this for years.

I thought you are supposed to jam the probe under a lead and pry upwards to get a good measurement  :-//

jam a paper clip in the BNC and hold the board against the scope for some good free spring action?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 06:06:51 am by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf