Author Topic: Siglent SDG1000X Waveform Generators  (Read 85660 times)

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDG1000X Waveform Generators
« Reply #275 on: September 12, 2022, 01:51:45 pm »
Is the firmware up to date?

I've only ever used mine through Ethernet and have had no issues.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #276 on: September 12, 2022, 07:54:13 pm »
I have just received my SDG1032X and everything looks good so far, except: the device freezes when I try to control it from the PC through USB (with LAN it works fine).
Are you working from the latest Programming guide ?
Which version of NIVISA do you have installed ?

https://int.siglent.com/u_file/download/22_08_26/SDG_Programming%20Guide_PG02-E05A.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nedeb

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: September 13, 2022, 03:01:51 pm »
The firmware is up to date (1.01.01.33R3).

The latest guide from Siglent makes use of Python 2.7 and an outdated version of PyVISA (1.4) which cannot be installed anymore (at least with PIP) but I'm using the equivalent code with Python 3 and PyVISA 1.12.0.

Thanks for pointing to the VISA backend: I'm using pyvisa-py (0.5.3) and it seems to be the only backend with this problem: the *IDN? query is successful in the following cases:
  • Ethernet with pyvisa-py on Linux
  • USB with NI-VISA application on Windows (NI-VISA 2022 Q3)
  • USB with python-usbtmc on Linux
I'd really like to get this working in PyVISA on Linux: it's by far the easiest and most maintained solution. But no luck so far:
  • With pyvisa_py backend it crashes the device
  • With librevisa backend it doesn't work (known issue: this library doesn't implement viParseRsrcEx and the library is unmaintained)
  • With NI-VISA backend: I cannot install NI-VISA on my system as it's not compatible with the latest Linux kernels. Haven't tried the Keysight version but I expect similar problems since they don't support the latest Linux versions.
I'll bring this to the PyVISA developers, hopefully the pyvisa_py backend can be fixed (though I suppose the bug could also be in the device firmware and only triggered by pyvisa_py for some reason).

Here's a minimal example to reproduce the freeze if someone wants to try (you need to install the pyvisa, pyvisa_py and pyusb Python packages):
Code: [Select]
#!/usr/bin/python3

import pyvisa as visa

rm = visa.ResourceManager('@py')

# Replace the serial number with your device's
addr = 'USB0::0xF4EC::0x1103::SDG1XDCX6R2773::0::INSTR'

device = rm.open_resource(addr)
(This is basically the initialization code from https://int.siglent.com/resource-detail/27/ . See also https://www.siglenteu.com/application-note/programming-example-create-a-stair-step-waveform-using-python-and-pyvisa-using-lan/ for another example.)

Even if the bug is in pyvisa_py maybe Siglent should fix the firmware to avoid the freeze... If I look at the Linux kernel messages when I connect the device with USB, there's definitely something that looks wrong:
Code: [Select]
[17263.890859] usb 1-4: new high-speed USB device number 25 using xhci_hcd
[17265.203020] usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[17265.497789] usb 1-4: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x81 has invalid maxpacket 64
[17265.497804] usb 1-4: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x1 has invalid maxpacket 64
[17265.538695] usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=f4ec, idProduct=1103, bcdDevice= 0.20
[17265.538702] usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[17265.538705] usb 1-4: Product: SDG1032X
[17265.538707] usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Siglent
[17265.538708] usb 1-4: SerialNumber: SDG1XDCX6R2773
(See errors in lines 2,3,4)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:16:42 pm by nedeb »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #278 on: September 13, 2022, 08:34:29 pm »
I still have some doubts however thank you for a good write up of the issue you are getting.

If we look at the first few pages of the programming manual it specifies functionality with NI-VISA 5.4 or the Run-Time Engine, which is just the connectivity part of the NIVISA package and much smaller.
Just checked and it's ~75MB however I don't know if it has any LINUX compatibility issues.
https://ni-visa-runtime.software.informer.com/download/

As this is the 5.4 version specified in the programming manual I recommend you investigate it first rather than we dive off on some bug chase just yet.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nedeb

• Contributor
« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2022, 10:24:38 am »
I could only find the Windows version on that page... I can't find an official way to get the Linux version of NI-VISA 5.4 but https://github.com/pyvisa/pyvisa-py/issues/108 has a link to http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/visa/NI-VISA/5.4.1/Linux/NI-VISA-5.4.1.iso . Unfortunately it seems this ISO only contains a 32-bit version the visa library.

However your answer prompted me to try a finer-grained install of NI-VISA, since it's only the kernel modules that fail to install. Indeed installing only ni-visa-passport-usb works fine! And I can use it with pyvisa to communicate with my SPD1168X.

But pyvisa with the NI-VISA 2022 Q3 backend still doesn't work with the SDG1032X (now I get the error "The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it").

I also realized that there's also a problem when using python-usbtmc: the first time I execute *IDN? I get the expected result but the second time I get a buffer size error (while it works fine with the SPD1168X).

Any suggestion what to try next?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2022, 11:41:38 pm »
None other than wait for some guidance from HQ Tech support from the email I've sent them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2022, 11:55:35 pm »
None other than wait for some guidance from HQ Tech support from the email I've sent them.
Actually LXI Tools could be the solution you need.
Thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/open-source-lxi-tools-v2-0-released/
Siglent App notes with LXI guidance to work through:
https://siglentna.com/application-notes/waveform-generators/page/2/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nedeb

• Contributor
« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2022, 08:12:05 am »

OK, thanks a lot!

Regarding LXI Tools: I tried and it works well indeed, but it's only for LAN connection unfortunately. LAN communication also works well with pyvisa in my limited testing, it's really USB that I can't get to work on Linux. (I want to use USB because of a lack of Ethernet ports in the office, and so I don't have to worry about securing the devices against mischievious students).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2022, 08:24:30 am »

OK, thanks a lot!

Regarding LXI Tools: I tried and it works well indeed, but it's only for LAN connection unfortunately. LAN communication also works well with pyvisa in my limited testing, it's really USB that I can't get to work on Linux. (I want to use USB because of a lack of Ethernet ports in the office, and so I don't have to worry about securing the devices against mischievious students).
Yes I did wonder it mightn’t suit the USB need you mentioned earlier.  :)
Tech support have been in touch so I pointed them to another of your posts.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nedeb

• Contributor
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2022, 01:31:11 pm »
It turns out I can get something working by removing some USB device resets and config calls in pyvisa, see https://github.com/pyvisa/pyvisa-py/issues/333 for details. So maybe we can fix it there (I guess it depends on whether the pyvisa developer can find a fix that doesn't stop other devices from working). Though I must say, the fact that the SDG freezes makes testing a bit cumbersome, and I worry of damaging the device through excessive power cycling.

Offline NickKUK

• Contributor
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2022, 09:45:14 am »
Interesting thread. I have a SDS1104X-E upgraded to 200Mhz and looking at purchasing a SDG1000 but couldn't decide between the 30Mhz and the 60Mhz version. The target use would be some RF tube radio, testing for a ADC using a 24.756Mhz clock and some DSD clocking plus audio sine wave bode plots.

If I can hack the 30MHz to 60MHz without severe impact on the squarewave then I'll put my order in for the 30Mhz version.

Offline james38

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2022, 04:03:10 pm »
I have a serious phaenomen with my SDG1032X (now SDG1064X).
Latest FW: 1.01.01.33R3
HW: 02-01-00-24-00

When i set a frequency for example sine 30Mhz and check this with my SVA everything is fine.

But when i enable the 10 Mhz external clock reference than the signal is overlaid with disturbances.
It seems like some intermodulation products on it.

I have checked the reference signal separately but it is ok an clean.
The input level is about +6dbm. I have also generate a signal with an SSG3021x to check as an alternate but see the same result.

I have attached some pictures.
One with the 10 Mhz sine reference signal.
The other one are with and without external reference enabled.
Once for 30 Mhz and 60Mhz.

Does anyone have an explanation of what could be the cause?

Regards Chris

Offline Wrenches of Death

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2022, 05:23:08 pm »

Mine has the same problem. It was basically useless at higher frequencies when using an external clock. I dropped back to the previous B6 firmware version and the problem disappeared. Go back a few pages in this thread and you'll find a number of posts on it.

Hopefully, it will get fixed in the next firmware revision.

WoD

Offline james38

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2022, 06:41:23 pm »
Yes I have read the last posts.
If I understood it correctly, it was more about the frequency accuracy.

In my case I have no problem with it but rather with the intermodulation signals when i enable the external reference.

Even if I use 15 Mhz or 20 Mhz, I always have these interferences when the external clock is active.

I don't know where it come from.

PS: I will check it with 33R1B6
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 06:47:56 pm by james38 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2022, 06:56:44 pm »

I'd call the problem with mine a MAJOR stability problem. The output of the generator wildly fluctuates in frequency when using an external clock. It is stable with the internal clock. A frequency counter on the output to attempt to measure it is useless. I didn't bother to put a scope on it.

Reinstalling the previous firmware release cured mine. Your mileage may vary.

Hopefully this will get fixed in the next release.

WoD

Offline james38

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2022, 07:21:33 pm »
You are absolute right.
These are the results with FW: 1.01.01.33R1B6

The noise level is now greatly decreased.
I am only have harmonics in 5Mhz steps.

I agree with you.
Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release.

PS:
The harmonics has fluctuation in his value.
They are every 5Mhz you only seen a part of it in the picture.
It goes from base level upon to the values in the screen.
An it ends at 60Mhz.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 07:36:25 pm by james38 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #291 on: September 25, 2022, 08:32:20 pm »

We have to thank "Ringmodulator" for this temp fix. He was the first to post that the problem disappeared with the firmware rollback.

I didn't think of trying the spectrum analyzer. I've only had it a few days and am still in the "crawling" phase.  :)

Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll advance to toddler!

WoD

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2022, 04:51:16 am »
I have checked the reference signal separately but it is ok an clean.
The input level is about +6dbm. I have also generate a signal with an SSG3021x to check as an alternate but see the same result.

Just sidenote.
About input level 6 dBm.
If it is real 6dBm (4mW) it means around 12.6 Vpp in this case because reference input impedance is 5000 Ω (only reference output impedance is 50 Ω).

To avoid confusion, my opinion is that it is not good to tell levels using power unit dBm if impedance is not clear typical 50 Ω for avoid mess.
Now if you set 50 Ω output impedance generator level to 6dBm but your load impedance is other than 50 Ω then need calculate voltage level. Because reference input level is specified as voltage levels.

If you have terminated (example using 50ohm feed thru) this SDG reference input, then with generator (50 Ω)  6 dBm level there is roughly 1.25 Vpp and this level  is below specified minimum 1.4Vpp.

If you have 50 Ω generator level set for 6dBm and this is connected to Hi-Z load (or in this case 5 kΩ) its level is around 2.5Vpp and naturally this is ok level to SDG reference input. Totally "fun" thing is that there is not specification (in SDG data sheet) for maximum level at all.

I use still FW version 33R1 because after it have not happened anything useful. I will keep this 33R1 version until Siglent do some useful FW rework for real improvements and bug fixes and without generating new errors.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 04:52:48 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: dibro

Offline nedeb

• Contributor
« Reply #293 on: October 07, 2022, 03:57:16 pm »
I'm having difficulties with my SDG1302X (running firmware 1.01.01.33R3) getting a sync signal for the AM modulating frequency.

I'm generating a 5MHz sine carrier, amplitude modulated (internally) with a 1kHz sine, and enable the "Sync" option in the Utility menu. The manual says "For AM, [...], the frequency of the sync signal is the modulating frequency". But instead, when I connect the aux out to the scope I get pulses at the carrier frequency.

It seems the manual is not quite up to date: it describes only the sync types CH1 and CH2, but the Sync menu offers CH1, CH2, MOD-CH1 and MOD-CH2. But selecting CH1 or MOD-CH1 makes no difference, I always get the carrier frequency.

Am I doing something wrong? Did someone manage to get a modulation frequency sync from the aux out?

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #294 on: November 14, 2022, 10:33:30 pm »
There's any way to take a screen capture from SDG1000X?

I want to place in a report the wave images and parameters set in both channels of the SDG, and it would be rather nice to have them screen captured instead of some photos taken of the SDG screen.

The EasyWave and EasyWaveX software seems that can only import waveforms from a scope (Siglent), and though I had built myself the data waveform used for this work, I would prefer a screen capture with all the info gathered in one nice image.

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Hexley

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2022, 06:56:32 pm »
Thank you both, Hexley and jhenderson0107 for his work

Couldn't manage to get it work from TCP/IP but it worked from USB

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline nedeb

• Contributor
« Reply #297 on: January 06, 2023, 10:48:05 am »
Update on the freeze issue when controlling through USB: this is fixed with the latest pyvisa-py version (0.6.0)!

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2023, 02:15:52 pm »

I dont think, that there is an issue with my setup, because with FW 1.01.01.33R1B6 this problem is not there and the unit works as expected, also above 30MHz.

There is a chance, that it is related to the hardware version.
My unit is 02-01-00-24-00 and identifies as SDG1062X. It was born as SDG1032X.

For what it's worth, mine has the same hardware revision. I just installed the older B6 firmware revision and it's stable as hell. I'd bet money that this is a firmware "issue" with the R3 revision.

thanks!
WoD

I have to agree.

Now that I need to use an external reference I got some very strange results.  Connecting it up to my SDS2104XP I saw continuous glitching.  Back dating the firmware from 33R3 to 33R1B6 fixed the issue.

Bottom shot is normal, top shot is what you get 1 out of every 5 captures.

Is it possible Siglent are unaware of this?

PS:  How do you post images so they appear full sized and in-line?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 02:19:23 pm by BillyO »
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline james38

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #299 on: April 20, 2023, 03:03:42 am »

I have to agree.

Now that I need to use an external reference I got some very strange results.  Connecting it up to my SDS2104XP I saw continuous glitching.  Back dating the firmware from 33R3 to 33R1B6 fixed the issue.

Bottom shot is normal, top shot is what you get 1 out of every 5 captures.

Is it possible Siglent are unaware of this?

PS:  How do you post images so they appear full sized and in-line?

Look at my posts above.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg4434094/#msg4434094
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg4434403/#msg4434403

I can acknowledge the issues with 33R3 when an external reference is connected.
I am also still on  33R1B6 because I always use an exernal refernce on all my devices.

As rf-loop says in the following post you must aware that the impedance for external In ist 5000 Ohm NOT 50 Ohm as expected.
I was a bit suprised and checked the datasheed in detail. He was right.
The +6db Level that I mentioned are measured directly from the GPSDO.
I forgot to say that I had a 6 db attenuator on it.
But anyway when the input impedance is not 50Ohm the level is not the measured level.

I has then tested it again with lower levels but the results are the same.
At least I can rule that out for myself that the cause is not the Clock-input level.
However, the minimum voltage must be at least 1.4V Vpp like the datasheed said.

With FW 33R1B6 i have no problems.

I can't say if it will ever be fixed or not.
I hope they will do ... sometime. ;-)
But I think it is known to Siglent and was also reported there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 03:05:53 am by james38 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf