Author Topic: siglent SDG1020 waveform generator teardown pics  (Read 32368 times)

Offline israelTopic starter

• Contributor
siglent SDG1020 waveform generator teardown pics
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:44:38 pm »
Does not seem bad for a cheap Chinese toy, is much like Rigol DG1022.

best regards,

edit:
pics hosted in the forum (part one)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:01:47 am by israel »

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: siglent SDG1020 waveform generator teardown pics
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »
Not too shabby; I especially like the Spartan-6 FPGA

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »
Surprised it needs a fan.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:01:10 am »
More pics (part two)

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 12:43:54 am »
I don’t know what to like, the good looks or the power supply of it  ::)

The power supply is surprisingly good build, they have separated the mains and each capacitor is secured with silicone kit.

How does it react, is the output clean in low and high settings?

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 03:47:37 am »
I am not sure about that Mechatrommer, I think it also ventilates the PSU, there are holes in the shield between the PSU and the generator PCB, and direct next to the heatsink there is a big hole to cool heatsink in the PSU.

The thing is the fan sucks the air in to the case, I hope they put some filter between the hole in the case and housing, otherwise it will suck everything in the case, from what I could see on the pictures online there is a hole in the housing just before the hole in the case.

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:05:14 am »
I am not a design expert when it comes to this kind a things but, I think they have tried that ;) See the 4 small holes around the big hole in the PSU part, those are made to mount a fan there, but a fan never would fit there for sure with the heatsink being in the way.

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:51:41 am »
How accurate and clean are the waveforms?
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:11:55 am »
Because i saw siglent , i decided to compare it and the Atten ATF20B ,
and , THEY ARE THE SAME !

Exact same internals?
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:20:15 am »
Externally , not sure about internals though ... But yeah , they look the same outside
I will compare the review of the ATF-20B and this one .

Cool, got a link?
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:49:16 am »
Hopefully this siglent turns out to be a better product than the atten. I am on the hunt for a decent low priced DDS function generator.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline chrome

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 12:08:12 pm »
Is the Front USB actually connected to the PCB? (the Atten ATF20B wasn't)

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 01:39:08 pm »
Is the Front USB actually connected to the PCB? (the Atten ATF20B wasn't)

The front USB port is fully operational and can be saved parameters, waveforms created, update firmware and various functions more.

The rear port is for connecting to a PC and use the software (i do not have this software) and create waveforms. The computer recognizes it as an oscilloscope.

How does it react, is the output clean in low and high settings?

The output looks very clean on the high and low impedance, I do not have spectrum analyzer to determine parameters of IMD.

I think its price is pretty good. but the chassis seems to be made with a hammer and an anvil.

Attached some pictures of the different waveforms taken with my cheap scope.

sorry for my bad english, not is my native language.

best regards

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 01:45:01 pm »
Thanks for the images. This one might actually turn out to be a decent low price candidate. Who did you buy from and how much?
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 02:36:21 pm »
Thanks for the test israel, like Tektronix I am in the market for a good reasonable prized function generator too, and indeed this one looks decent.
At this moment I am in a hunt for a different tool when I got that I will sure look in to this one.

sorry for my bad english, not is my native language.

Ah don’t worry about that, yours is a lot better than mine :)

Offline asmcool

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 09:31:47 pm »
Hi!

I've owned the SDG1010 for a few weeks now. So far I'd say it's good for the money. Construction seems very sturdy and solid. There are nice rubber feet on all 8 corners that help to keep it in place. Buttons and controls feel solid. Output signals are very crisp and stable on my old analog scope. Does it have laboratory precision and distortion? I doubt it. But it's fine for my needs.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about I'd say that the screen is a bit 'grainy'. No big deal, it's not like I need to watch Blurays on it. If this was an o'scope I might be more concerned. Here are some photos of me having some fun with it:

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 05:31:56 pm »
I might want to buy one too. How loud is the noise from the fan?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »
I might want to buy one too. How loud is the noise from the fan?

Fan noise is perfectly acceptable. Rather low compared to my Chinese oscilloscope.

The power supply APS30005 ATTEN-3D if have a really noisy fan, it's scary when you turn. but this was resolved very easily with a resistor in series with the fan to reduce their speed.

regards,

Offline asmcool

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 09:32:16 pm »
AM modulation of arbitrary wave..

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:00 pm »
AM modulation of arbitrary wave..

If, even in ASK, FSK, FM, PM (internal or external)

I attached the user manual and datasheet

http://siglent.com/en/upload/SDG1000%20User%20Manual_V1.2.pdf

http://www.temtecsa.com.ar/catalog/file/Generadores%20de%20Funciones/SDG1000datasheet.pdf

Regards,

Offline Acad12

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »
As several posts indicate that members have a SDG1020 may I ask for an explanation of how the output amplitude is set. Attempts to find this from the specs and questioning of suppliers have produced little relevant information. Is the required amplitude set digitally on the screen and what is the resolution of the setting? I need to be able to set the amplitude inversely to the frequency i.e. if frequency is increased then amplitude has to be decreased proportionally, so the amplitude resolution (smallest step) controls the frequencies that may be used.

Offline asmcool

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
>>may I ask for an explanation of how the output amplitude is set. Attempts to find this from the specs and questioning of suppliers have produced little relevant information. Is the required amplitude set digitally on the screen and what is the resolution of the setting?<<

hmm? Yes, you turn a dial, or directly enter numbers using the keypad.  Looks like 1 millivolt step for both amplitude and offset. Minimum amplitude for sine wave is 4 mV. I didn't try other wave forms.

Offline Colin

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 07:34:18 am »
ATTEN find another company to rebrand, the company should be this one
http://www.szmywave.com/categoryen.php?id=33&lang=en

Same case, same specifications(confused of mywave 3000CH and 6000CH), must register to get the datasheet :(

I don't know why ATTEN don't use Siglent this time, maybe Lecroy is the only one.
never too late to learn

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 07:38:01 am »
The screens in the firmware look nicer than the siglent.

ATTEN find another company to rebrand, the company should be this one
http://www.szmywave.com/categoryen.php?id=33&lang=en

Same case, same specifications(confused of mywave 3000CH and 6000CH), must register to get the datasheet :(

I don't know why ATTEN don't use Siglent this time, maybe Lecroy is the only one.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:14 am »
It is not necessarily Atten who founded that new company. Atten is one of those companies that does everything for money. If you show up at Atten with a bunch of cash, order a large batch of some instrument, and ask Atten to stick another label/name/brand onto it then Atten happily does it. If you ask them to do minor modifications, e.g. substitute parts, they happily do that, too. Atten stuff regularly shows up on eBay and other commercial outlets under other brand names.

Atten has absolutely no interest in upholding their own brands. With their lack of quality it is maybe a good idea to not think about long-term brand establishment.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 04:18:33 pm »
There is another brandname they put on these generators! I just can't remember which :(
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline valentinc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »
  israel, how is the software of the Siglent SDG1020 ? You can define waveform via mathematical equations ? Or simply combine basic waveforms and draw with the cursor ?
Valentin

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 12:16:59 pm »
israel, how is the software of the Siglent SDG1020 ? You can define waveform via mathematical equations ? Or simply combine basic waveforms and draw with the cursor ?

I do not know the control software for this generator, because did not come the cd of my unit in the package (if someone has it would be very grateful if provide one copy for my).  I asked to siglent  a couple of times unsuccessfully,

I guess that refers to software "EaSywave" to manage the generator via usb port.

best regards,

alm

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 12:46:51 pm »
Do they advertise the generator as being capable of arbitrary waveforms? If so, then it's very strange that they don't provide the software to define them. Do they expect you to input them from the front panel?

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 02:54:26 pm »
Just as a side note: the brilliant Agilent 33521A also doesn't include the software to create ARBs. Indeed it costs like >500€ extra. However the ARB files are just text files and the manual explains their syntax pretty well. Honestly I'm not sure if anybody really uses these arbitrary "paint" programs at all. Usually you have either a recorded signal of some kind of it's constructed this way or the other from a model or a script.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »
Just as a side note: the brilliant Agilent 33521A also doesn't include the software to create ARBs. Indeed it costs like >500€ extra.

No, you get a basic version for free. Download the WaveformBuilder Pro trial version. After the trial period expires it continues to operate as Waveform Builder Basic. This is an intentional feature, not some accident or hack. It is how Agilent intended it to be. However, they aren't very open telling you about the Basic version and how to get it.

Compared to the Pro version the Basic version lacks a number of features. E.g. lots of filters and predefined waveforms are missing. But you do get working software.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 04:31:23 pm »
Hm, maybe they changed that in a more recent version. Last time I tried (one year ago or so), the program simply refused to start after the end of the trial period. There was also absolutely no documentation available at this point how to get the non-Pro version and the Pro version did definitely NOT change in a non-Pro after the trial.
Then again, there's nothing in this GUI I want to use anyway. For the 33120A, I used the GUI only to upload the arbitrary waveforms, but on the 33521A there's no need for this either.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Colin

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 02:03:16 am »
hi israel, I got their easywave long time before. If siglent still don't reply u, try this one.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A9B73C2EA899F8F1!169&authkey=!AFcuhmuFtYI47ag

I guess u will disappoint 

never too late to learn

Offline asmcool

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 03:51:21 am »
My 1010 came with Easywave 1.0 on CD. It works ok, though I haven't used it extensively. I have not tried to direct connect the unit to the computer yet. I just transfer wave data files using a flash drive. (side note: Easywave runs ok in wine on Linux).

There are basic functions to draw things by hand, or you can enter equations.. I see trig functions and other sorts of math that you'd find on a scientific calculator. And you can import .csv data.

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »
hi israel, I got their easywave long time before. If siglent still don't reply u, try this one.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A9B73C2EA899F8F1!169&authkey=!AFcuhmuFtYI47ag

I guess u will disappoint 

WOW !   thank you very much for the contribution. had long been searching for.

best regards,

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 12:26:56 pm »
Externally , not sure about internals though ... But yeah , they look the same outside
I will compare the review of the ATF-20B and this one .

They are totally different!  If they littlebit looks ouside same kind it do not mean they are same.
After  30 second reading specifications it can know that they are not even cousins.

AFT 20B is very cheap made 8 bit resolution junk .. "lookslike nice" toy  made in Atten garace.
If example I try sell these I loose my faces totally.

SDG1000 is 14bit 125MSa/s with 2 independent channel tool made in Siglents best factory (not made in sub-contracting workshop). Not rollsroyce but in practice very good features/quality in its price class. Rigol 1022 is clearly also in other lower class. Of course have direct DDS advantages and disadvantages. (it is not PxP principle unit as also most of competitors in its price class)
http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/agilent/ComparingFGPerformance.pdf

And Atten (factory) is not Siglent (factory).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:56:58 pm by aghp »
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf