Author Topic: Siglent SDG1025 Arbitrary/function generator under some tests  (Read 86214 times)

Offline aghpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Siglent SDG1025 Arbitrary/function generator under some tests
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:46 am »
That is pretty bad. The whole point of having two outputs is to be able to generate related signals. Since a few seconds I was planning to buy an SDG1000 series generator...

Of course you are able to generate related signals.

But manual frequency "sweeping" both channels together with one turn of knob, this feature there is not. But you can easy set both frequency same and even phase lock these. So for changin frequency you change it, then you push one button and change other channel freq. If you need then phase lock these, just press button. If you need 4MHz square and 4M sine.. just key in or turn 4M and push CH1/CH1 and key in or turn 4M.. you need 1.7 second time for this. if need phase lock, select it.
(how often need exatly same frequency all times manually variable  and so that signals are different, example square + sine or waveform a and waveform b.  Yes sometimes is is nice feature but in reality how often it need If really need this feature then it is better to buy some other generator what have this. Do you know good one in this price class and what also have this SDG all features? I want buy it.
Sometimes I want to generate two arb signals which start at the same time (and have the same period). I have a Lecroy LWA420 (100MHz/400Ms/s) which can do that and it has a digital pattern output. I think I paid around $500 for it (second hand) including shipping.

It is originally expensive unit totally in different class, normally also second hand units still more expensive.
Vertical resolution is only 8bit but  nice equipment still due to its many features.

Siglent can also drive independently arb from both channels simultaneously and also with 0 degree phase difference or phase adjusted with 0.1degree resolution.

And note: Siglent is NOT Atten.  If someone want tell other thruts plese buy tickect and go to look.

Siglent do some product to Atten as OEM (and using of course buyer(Atten) specifications about details and maybe some savings in costs. Also OEM and ODM is littlebit diffeent case.  Siglent have they own Siglent factory and Atten have they different factory in different place.  Also it is good to remember, time ago bad quality company may learn and develop themselves after mistakes. Some do not learn and care about mstakes. Some want learn about mistakes and change, maybe slowly... but it good also change opinions if old opinion is obsolete.. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:54:29 am by aghp »
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 11:50:37 pm »
I believe you can phase shift CH1 and CH2 in 1 degree increments (1/360 of full cycle). Or am I missing some part of the question here? I have only tested with sine waves though. Don't know about other waveforms.

I have testet sine wave phase shift with my SDG1020 and it seems to work  flawlessly.

nixxon

Phase shift increment is 0.1degree.
There is some report old FW have 0.1degree increment but real step was 1degree.
Latest FW increment is 0.1degree and also real step resolution is 0.1degree.
(tested, not mutual)

Do you know what is the latest firmware version? And where to download FW updates? I can't find any info about FW at siglent.com.

nixxon

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 05:38:41 am »
I believe you can phase shift CH1 and CH2 in 1 degree increments (1/360 of full cycle). Or am I missing some part of the question here? I have only tested with sine waves though. Don't know about other waveforms.

I have testet sine wave phase shift with my SDG1020 and it seems to work  flawlessly.

nixxon

Phase shift increment is 0.1degree.
There is some report old FW have 0.1degree increment but real step was 1degree.
Latest FW increment is 0.1degree and also real step resolution is 0.1degree.
(tested, not mutual)

Do you know what is the latest firmware version? And where to download FW updates? I can't find any info about FW at siglent.com.

nixxon

Siglent have not yet ready public FW download system.
Last version for SDG1000 have last 2 digits  .23  (afaik).
If you have buy it from normal distributor you simply ask. (if they do not have after sales customer care...  well there are lot of there "nice box" sellers. If your car need something do you call car factory or go to dealer where you buy it... there are sellers and customer care. )
I think soon Chinese companies need change. They need stop this "thousands of sellers" policy and build up network of distributors who also do something for get this piece of cake. Now there is lot of sellers who eat free lounges. They take money as dealers but without any kind of pre- or aftersales customer care and then there is nearly only factory doing aftersales customer care. This is really stupid policy and it need change. Now, the manufacturer's facilities overworked because vendors do not perform anything other than forwarding parcels as "nixe boxes" and peeling a cream without doing anything.  One solution is that they sell products only to distributors who also know equipments and also do least minimum level of customer care.

You can send courteous letter to Siglent, tell your model, HW and FW version numbers and you need latest FW and soon you have it. (ask they also connect you to possible mailing list for future updates)
Also I can send it to you but I do not this becouse I do not have enough  knowledge about my .23 version compatibility to your HW version. (I quess it is but... who is responsible if something go wrong) After they get public download system ready they are responsible that updates are compatible to all possible version. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:21:26 am by aghp »
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 12:10:26 pm »
Can you please give an offer for SDG1025 + shipping to Poland?
Do you have other versions (1005, 1010 etc)?
(might be via PM)
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 12:46:11 pm »
Actually, my SDG1020 came with a FW that allows me to enter phase angle offset in 0.1 degrees increments (1/3600 of full cycle) and not in 1 degree increments (1/360) as I have stated before. I'll try to measure if the AWG actually outputs such small phase offsets (if possible with a Rigol DS1052E (softmod to DS1102E).

The seller was really nice and seemed pretty serious, so I will contact him regarding FW updates (if I need any).

Software version: 1.01.01.20
Hardware version: 00-00-00-17-23
Serial number: SDG0000212****

nixxon
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:00:46 pm by nixxon »

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 12:57:24 pm »
Someone should send That Crazy Aussie Bloke a Siglent SDG1000 series AWG for teardown and more...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:59:54 pm by nixxon »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 04:18:46 pm »
Becouse my tests (jitters etc) are not yet ready and becouse many peoples like pictures. Here is some...

What I can say about building quality.
It is good.

It is not state of art or "high-end" but also price is not.
If front panel and everywhere read example Agilent and I open equipment.. I just believe it.
Only case is made littlebit cheap.. but mainly it can see only inside equipment metal and plastic works finishing.
Yes there is not Swizerland watch maker factory drilling, milling and lathed diecast aluminium fine cast alloy chassis like some Agilent high-end units. This kind of empty chassis price alone is maybe more than some lot of these equipments.

Where is this chinese crap quality?

Also I have not find any dirty and badly hand soldered things, and all boards are very clean, no fingerprints, no dirty residues.

TFT panel have real glass front of it. It is really nice detail

Note for display image, it is sofft for avoid digital camera and TFT "Moire" interference.
Still there is some, in nature it looks just normal TFT. Color what looks in picture near grey it is very neutral grey in nature.

This model do not have fan. Some models have fan and it is right side of unit.  Also left side have air holes. (some other equipment may use same base and also there is place for fan.

I have heard lot of lark about Siglent bad quality. Where it is? Maybe it hide inside these plastic/rubber parts what all are made from recycled material. Maybe this bullshit and crap are lying  hidden inside plastic... you have been warned. ;) 

Btw.. under backside BNC connectors position there is place for TCXO or maybe for small OCXO on the main board. (U107)

Whole unit is in strong metal box (coated iron), also front and back is closed.. outer case is aluminium. Only part outside metal box is front panel + TFT. Power supply is in its own block behind 1mm wall  so switch mode power noise is some amount isolated.
What I do not like but still can accept.
1. Output stage is not isolated. (good real isolation is expensive so this need accept. If do cheap isolation   -   better without it.)
2. Power switch is one pole switch so there may still be "live" (and protective ground) after switch off). There is not main switch. Now if this unit is with optional better internal frequency reference there is not stand by power for keep its powered for keep stability (example OCXO). 
  (Of course normal serious lab use "house standard" where all equipments are connected.  But for this there is other small problem. This unit need initiate for external reference allways after it is powered up and there is not any indication for real reference status (example "locked" indicator))

Pictures have they own story... 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:12:23 am by aghp »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 04:33:19 pm »
Where did you get the model without fan? I want to buy a Siglent SDG1005 but I'd prefer something without a fan.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 04:45:45 pm »
Where did you get the model without fan? I want to buy a Siglent SDG1005 but I'd prefer something without a fan.

I do not know older versions but today version of SDG1010 have no fan.
SDG1025  have fan..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:49:47 pm by aghp »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:41:00 am by aghp »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 09:00:05 am »
Some samples from new tests published. Now also something more about normal jitter in this kind of equipment.

Here you can find these. 

-aghp
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:05:04 am by aghp »

Offline pauln

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 11:16:26 pm »

You can send courteous letter to Siglent, tell your model, HW and FW version numbers and you need latest FW and soon you have it. (ask they also connect you to possible mailing list for future updates)
Also I can send it to you but I do not this becouse I do not have enough  knowledge about my .23 version compatibility to your HW version. (I quess it is but... who is responsible if something go wrong) After they get public download system ready they are responsible that updates are compatible to all possible version.
[/quote]

Wish I had seen your post earlier - have posted my findings re the dbm issue elsewhere on forum.
I emailed siglent and here is part of their reply

"I have to say the what you said is our software bug. Can you use Vpp to replace it? "

I have asked re firmware update to fix - no reply so far.
My units details.

Bootstrap   10
S/W   1.01.01.20
H/W   00.00.00.17.23

Hope they sort out sooner rather than later

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 09:48:59 am »
Maybe there is some problem and before you did not get my last PM. (also I do not have it in my outbox)

I try agen.

Newest FW is: 1.01.01.23

(it do not fix dBm math bug between -1.0dBm to +1.0dBm)

It need be careful, it also jumps in some cases to full level after turning adjust knob.
Recommendation is: Avoid use dBm until bug is fixed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:14:59 pm by aghp »

Offline Rosendorfer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 02:05:23 pm »
Hi aghp

Have look at Your Siglent tests, and have to say THE Best test I have ever seen... absolutely great work.

I have try to repeat Your jitter tests and well... You can use Owon scope for jitter measurements... 8)

Have actual question if You have try/could try to run Siglent SDG with external 10MHz "reference" clock and see if that is changing anything about jitter measurements.

And also probably subject for other thread but do You have anything about new OWON Scope  SDS9302. 300MHz and 3,2Gs/s sounds tempting... well also SDS8302 looks pretty interesting.

Rosendorfer

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 12:58:34 am »
aghp

Not sure if you got my PM but thanks for all the help; it worked perfectly.
If I lived on you side of the world I would buy all my gear from you, I like when companies actively support their products on forums.  I wish more companies would do the same.  I did not buy my unit from you but you helped me out the same as if I did and I really appreciate that.

All the Best
Robert
The Optimist says the glass is half full, the Pessimist says its half empty, an engineer only see's a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be!

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 04:58:13 pm »
Dear friends around of world.

About FW updates!

Please do not ask FW update from me. Or least please do not disappoint if get not help or even answer. 

I like help peoples but...  I can not do more what I have free time resources..

In first priority I share my time for my customers and after then I can do some just for fun but there is limit. It is simple cold truth.

I have just one update version and ( what I know) it works with these versions what for I have get it from Siglent and I do NOT have any knowledge how it is compatible to different versions and subversions in FW and/or HW.    (example some units may need first update to some next version and after then it can safely upgrade to current new version.)

If you need more new FW due to some real problems with your current version please contact your seller/distributor! If he/she can not help you please  contact  directly to Siglent!
Tell your equipment data. (Model, Software and Hardware version and serial number and problem what you have and you want get new FW version for solve problem.  Also one tip: in China they still use telefax.

And be patient.
Also now I understand why they answer may be slow.  In very short time I have get so many requests.     Requests are flooding through the doors and windows - I can not answer to all.
It is just impossible. I have not 34 hour in one day and seven hands, I have only 24 hour and two hand as most peoples have and also family who need some timeslice.

Also if you can wait, please be  patient. I have heard from Siglent they are designing public service for updates. (I do not know what equipments and what time they start)  This is not yet ready. (it is not just piece of bisquit exept if think that electric is so simple...  it just come out from wall socket, what is so difficult... )

Wrong update file may damage your equipment permannently and there is no way to downgrade back. There is not "oops" feature what can do in customer side.

kindly

-aghp

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
New firmware? (Siglent SDG1000 series)
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 09:39:01 pm »
Looks like a new display color scheme/theme. I have emailed Siglent's representative, "Lulu", and asked for more information about current FW for the SDG1000 series.

Photo from http://siglent.com/en/product/detail3.aspx?id=100000001526838&nodecode=119008003

The display of the depicted SDG1000 is obviously manipulated in photoshop or similar, but I presume the depicted color scheme is somewhat accurate.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:13:58 pm by nixxon »

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 09:23:20 pm »
I just got a reply from Lulu. No new firmware, just a new photoshopped image. Thats a shame, because I kind of liked the colors. She mentioned a few new products; "new handheld oscilloscope SHS800, new waveform generator SDG5000 and new DC power supply".

Yeah, you can read it yourselves:

"Dear "nixxon"

I took some days off before!

Sorry for my late reply!

Also thank you so much for your kind attention to our new website!

For the SDG1000? it’s actually a new made image, not an updated firmware. 

But we do have something new, new handheld oscilloscope SHS800, new waveform generator SDG5000 and new DC power supply!

Enclosed please find our update catalogue!

The new handheld oscilloscope is ready now, and the SDG5000 and DC power will be ready in this Nov.

Looking forward your kind advice regarding our new product!

BR

Lulu"

Yo, nixxon
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:34:17 pm by nixxon »

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 09:04:32 pm »
I just purchased the Siglent SDG1020, cant get either of the USB drivers to load 32 or 64 bit in XP or Vista, SW on the unit is 1.01.01.15 and HW is 00-00-00-15-22, Boot strap NO: 19. Can't find USB drivers or firmware loader anywhere, Siglents support appears to be non-existent.
Any one have any luck with this?  Thanks.

BMac

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 09:16:30 am »
I just purchased the Siglent SDG1020, cant get either of the USB drivers to load 32 or 64 bit in XP or Vista, SW on the unit is 1.01.01.15 and HW is 00-00-00-15-22, Boot strap NO: 19. Can't find USB drivers or firmware loader anywhere, Siglents support appears to be non-existent.
Any one have any luck with this?  Thanks.

BMac

You have not asked from your seller? They have not any support?

With unit there is not USB drivers??? Strange.
Also 1.01.01.15 FW is very old! It is good to upgrade first..

Please take contact to Siglent and they will send FW upgrade to you.

Also with communicating via USB you have two selection in SDG menu:
With NI-VISA drivers set: USBTMC
with easywave (without NI-VISA) set: USBRAW

In some cases it may be useful to read nearly compatible user manual:
LeCroy WaveStation.
It is pity that Siglent manual is very poor. But also price difference for better manual is markable.

I have FW update for it BUT I can not share it. This is becouse some manufacture lot MAY need first some other FW upgrade before final upgrade to latest FW for avoid some serious problems. Only factory have this knowledge. (this may be one reson why there is not yet public downloadable FW as there is for some other Siglent equipments.)

So, send letter to Siglent, give this information (FW HW and your Serial number!  and ask FW update)

Newest "EasyWave" you find Siglent main sides (there service and then download center)

There is also hotline phone number, FAX number, QQ, MSN and Skype  (note time difference)

("Siglents support appears to be non-existent."  I have different experience. Nearly all times answer inside 24 hour to letters (exept holidays). Phone they mostly answer immediately in office time)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:21:12 am by aghp »

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:00 pm »
Thanks, for the response, I will try more emails to the seller and Siglent, still no reply from either. BMac

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 08:32:51 pm »
Has anyone had any luck loading the latest LeCroy firmware into a Siglent?

Thank you,  BMac

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 08:52:53 am »
Has anyone had any luck loading the latest LeCroy firmware into a Siglent?

Thank you,  BMac

Please DO NOT TRY!
I repeat:
DO NOT TRY!

(yes I believe it is protected for wrong upgrade file but... )

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 01:31:18 pm »
So will it work? is there any internal difference between the two?, has anyone done a tear down on both? Maybe Siglent would get off their rocker and get their unit up to "par" if people were buying there unit and turning it into a "Lecroy".   Would be kind of fun to try.  BMac

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 08:25:12 pm »
Did you get the supplied USB drivers to load in your PC and then connect to the function generator?
I can not get the supplied drivers to load.

Thankyou,

BMac

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf